Favorite Lucille Ball Interviews

blitnowink

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows, she had so many ailments over the decades, but i doubt you take a blood pressure pill DURING a show, LOL! Maybe gary was back there and God knows he was a PILL to deal with.

I think it's funny the way she'd just start doing whatever during an interview, fidgeting, putting on makeup, fussing with her hair, taking pills. She just didn't give a crap. LOL :professor:

Did anyone happen to rip the full Irv Kupcinet Show from YouTube to his or her hard drive? It's a shame this interview is no longer viewable; I recall it being available for viewing in 2007. I don't think I've seen it available anywhere else other than on YouTube.

Yeah, the only time I've ever seen the full interview was on YouTube, and that was at least three years ago. I wish it was still available! :marionstrong:

Are any of the Dinah interviews still available on YouTube? I don't recall seeing them in awhile. Isn't the Dinah interview with Ella Fitgerald the one where they ask Lucy her thoughts about premarital sex? lol.

Also, can anyone help me place this snippet of a Lucy interview? It's from the 1980s, and after giving her answer to a question about Vivian Vance, Lucy, very moved and almost in tears, replies, "I get very emotional when I talk about Vivian. I loved her very much." I'm thinking it might be from the Rona Barrett interview, but I'm not sure. I've never owned the whole interview. It's the most emotional I've seen Lucy get about Viv in public, and I remember thinking it was a lovely and touching moment.

Yeah, the only time I've ever seen the full interview was on YouTube, and that was at least three years ago. I wish it was still available! :marionstrong:

Are any of the Dinah interviews still available on YouTube? I don't recall seeing it in awhile. Isn't the Dinah interview with Ella Fitgerald the one where they ask Lucy her thoughts about premarital sex? lol.

Also, can anyone help me place this snippet of a Lucy interview? It's from the 1980s, and after giving her answer to a question about Vivian Vance, Lucy, very moved and almost in tears, replies, "I get very emotional she n I talk about Vivian. I loved her very much." I'm thinking it might be from the Rona Barrett interview, but I'm not sure. I've never owned the whole interview. It's the most emotional I've seen Lucy get about Viv in public, and I remember thinking it was a lovely and touching moment.

I believe that's the Rona Barrett one. That snippet was on YouTube awhile ago. Don't know if it's still up there.

Oooh, what did Lucy say about premarital sex?? ROFL. I think we know the answer to that one. :peachonthebeach:

I think it's funny the way she'd just start doing whatever during an interview, fidgeting, putting on makeup, fussing with her hair, taking pills. She just didn't give a crap. LOL :professor:

I remember my mom saying how it bothered her when she'd keep fiddling with her clothes all through the interview. But i guess it was just nerves, hey, maybe it was a relaxant or nerve pill, LOL!

Did anyone happen to rip the full Irv Kupcinet Show from YouTube to his or her hard drive? It's a shame this interview is no longer viewable; I recall it being available for viewing in 2007. I don't think I've seen it available anywhere else other than on YouTube.

Hey, the way this thread has been zooming along, got any other ideas for other threads? LOL! THIS WAS A GREAT ONE BY THE WAY!

Are any of the Dinah interviews still available on YouTube? I don't recall seeing them in awhile. Isn't the Dinah interview with Ella Fitgerald the one where they ask Lucy her thoughts about premarital sex? lol.

Also, can anyone help me place this snippet of a Lucy interview? It's from the 1980s, and after giving her answer to a question about Vivian Vance, Lucy, very moved and almost in tears, replies, "I get very emotional when I talk about Vivian. I loved her very much." I'm thinking it might be from the Rona Barrett interview, but I'm not sure. I've never owned the whole interview. It's the most emotional I've seen Lucy get about Viv in public, and I remember thinking it was a lovely and touching moment.

Wasn't the Hartman interview on Good Morning America?

I believe that's the Rona Barrett one. That snippet was on YouTube awhile ago. Don't know if it's still up there.

Oooh, what did Lucy say about premarital sex?? ROFL. I think we know the answer to that one. :peachonthebeach:

Not necessarily, Lucy loved her first grandchild and it was pre marital as Lucie was pregnant with Simon when she married the father Larry.

I only know of ONE Rona Barrett interview and it's the one where Lucy gets testy about one question and it was to promote Stone Pillow. Rona was a friend of hers but not too clever with her questions.

Not necessarily, Lucy loved her first grandchild and it was pre marital as Lucie was pregnant with Simon when she married the father Larry.

Oh I know, I was being facetious. Lucy was pretty open-minded about that stuff and we know she engaged in it herself, years before when it was still taboo. She was before her time. I just would've loved to hear her what she said about it exactly.

I remember my mom saying how it bothered her when she'd keep fiddling with her clothes all through the interview. But i guess it was just nerves, hey, maybe it was a relaxant or nerve pill, LOL!

Yeah, I think it was a nervous habit. I just have to laugh when she pulled out that compact and started powdering her nose in that Merv Griffin interview, and no one said anything like it was perfectly natural. Only Lucy could do that. lol

Oh I know, I was being facetious. Lucy was pretty open-minded about that stuff and we know she engaged in it herself, years before when it was still taboo. She was before her time. I just would've loved to hear her what she said about it exactly.

Trust me, i'd love to see it too. I should make you a copy of the LOOK article, she's very fortright in that one, even mentioning how she lost a bundle in the stock market and had to make it up.

Yeah, I think it was a nervous habit. I just have to laugh when she pulled out that compact and started powdering her nose in that Merv Griffin interview, and no one said anything like it was perfectly natural. Only Lucy could do that. lol

But, sometimes, it was out of necessity. Like at the All Star Party for herself, she is overheard commenting at one point I WON'T HAVE ANY LIPSTICK LEFT, and then, as she is asked to speak, she puts some on before she goes up. She knows she will be on camera and doesn't weant to look like she has none on. Those bow lips were her trademark after all.

But, sometimes, it was out of necessity. Like at the All Star Party for herself, she is overheard commenting at one point I WON'T HAVE ANY LIPSTICK LEFT, and then, as she is asked to speak, she puts some on before she goes up. She knows she will be on camera and doesn't weant to look like she has none on. Those bow lips were her trademark after all.

Yep, she was very self-conscious. I would be too actually...lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucy is coaxed into doing an enthusiastic rendition of "Hey, Look Me Over!" with Valerie and Dinah.

"Coaxed" is the word. I would add reluctantly. It's set in a key that's a little too high for her, but Dinah and Valerie soon join in..And when that happened, Lucy quit singing and simply mouthed the words, knowing full well that it would not be noticed in the blend of voices.

"Coaxed" is the word. I would add reluctantly. It's set in a key that's a little too high for her, but Dinah and Valerie soon join in..And when that happened, Lucy quit singing and simply mouthed the words, knowing full well that it would not be noticed in the blend of voices.

Valerie actually ends up doing the Wildy parts of the song with Dinah and Lucy doing the Janie part. When Dinah had on Lucy and Gary, Steve & Eydie, and Jimmy and Gloria Stewart on as her guests, she was unable to cajole Lucy into doing any performing. Steve & Eydie sang, Jimmy performed "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" (sans Elmer the frog) on the piano, I recall Gloria doing some hula dancing, and Gary did some stand-up. Lucy was having none of this. :D

Valerie actually ends up doing the Wildy parts of the song with Dinah and Lucy doing the Janie part. When Dinah had on Lucy and Gary, Steve & Eydie, and Jimmy and Gloria Stewart on as her guests, she was unable to cajole Lucy into doing any performing. Steve & Eydie sang, Jimmy performed "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" (sans Elmer the frog) on the piano, I recall Gloria doing some hula dancing, and Gary did some stand-up. Lucy was having none of this. :D

She figured NOT AT THESE RATES!

Archived