Comedienne Pat Carroll (still going strong!)

rickee

Just happened to be looking at a YouTube video of the great TV comedienne, Pat Carroll (who is now 85 and plans to attend the February 10-12 Hollywood Collector's Show in Burbank, CA) and not to be self-serving, but what do I see when she mentions "the great Lucy Ball" as the one who set the standard for comedy? A pop-in of a piece of art I did a while back. What a nice surprise. (Pat talks about Lucy quite a bit from 5:04-7:29). Great, great comedienne in own right and wonderful to see her still around!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJd1Bls-vE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great interview! Thanks for posting it.

I'm not very familiar with Pat Carroll, but I loved her as Sid Melton's wife on Make Room for Daddy and the ornery Mrs. Kuhne on MTM. "Wondaful." :marionstrong:

OMG she used to be all over the tube back then, on talk shows, game shows, she was exceptionnaly bubbly and always funny as hell. LOVED her, wish she'd do something on tv or something. If Betty White can do it, so can she!

Just happened to be looking at a YouTube video of the great TV comedienne, Pat Carroll (who is now 85 and plans to attend the February 10-12 Hollywood Collector's Show in Burbank, CA) and not to be self-serving, but what do I see when she mentions "the great Lucy Ball" as the one who set the standard for comedy? A pop-in of a piece of art I did a while back. What a nice surprise. (Pat talks about Lucy quite a bit from 5:04-7:29). Great, great comedienne in own right and wonderful to see her still around!

What an absolutely sensational interview with such a fine actress and comedienne. I totally forgot about that Mary Tyler Moore show, loved her story about getting hate mail for being so mean to Mary, LOL! Loved everything she said about Lucy and even Jimmy Durante. If only there were interviews like this one on regular talk shows instead of the boring morons that DO get interviewed these days. This woman looks younger than her years and her memory sure is fine, so nice to see her again and know that she's still going strong. Thanks again Rickee for posting it and if you ever get any others . . . .

I grew up watching Pat Caroll playing "Prunella" one of the evil stepsisters in the the television production of Rogers And Hammerstein's "Cinderella".

Me too! Loved that rendition, and what a cast! Lesley Ann Warren, Carroll, Ginger Rodgers, Walter Pidgeon, Celeste Holm and the oh so handsome prince played by Stuart Damon (of General Hospital fame)! Wow!

What an absolutely sensational interview with such a fine actress and comedienne. I totally forgot about that Mary Tyler Moore show, loved her story about getting hate mail for being so mean to Mary, LOL! Loved everything she said about Lucy and even Jimmy Durante. If only there were interviews like this one on regular talk shows instead of the boring morons that DO get interviewed these days. This woman looks younger than her years and her memory sure is fine, so nice to see her again and know that she's still going strong. Thanks again Rickee for posting it and if you ever get any others . . . .

Thx, Claude.

Just Google her or check YouTube...she's undoubtedly around. Met her a few years back and she's as nice as you'd hope!

She starred in a pilot "Pandora" which aired as part of "The Ann Sothern Show". She's great and the show was pretty good. I don't know why it wasn't picked up as a series because in 1961, the year of the pilot, we no longer had Lucy. The only sitcom clown was Cara Willaims of Pete and Gladys, one of the few 'next Lucille Ball's' who came close. But there was room for one more.

She starred in a pilot "Pandora" which aired as part of "The Ann Sothern Show". She's great and the show was pretty good. I don't know why it wasn't picked up as a series because in 1961, the year of the pilot, we no longer had Lucy. The only sitcom clown was Cara Willaims of Pete and Gladys, one of the few 'next Lucille Ball's' who came close. But there was room for one more.

Oh yes, Cara was one of the few beautiful actresses that ever came close to Lucy and the show was great too, I remember reading that Lucy told off Bob and Madelyn for letting that other redhead have some of their great material, LOL! Pat looks like the type that has a million great stories to share, wish she would. She should at least write a book.

Fantastic interview! That was such fun to watch. Thanks for posting! I'll always think of Pat Carroll as Ursula from The Little Mermaid, the movie I watched every single day when I was a little girl!

And there are so many people like her who still want to work and have a thousand great stories to share but no place to do it. I freaked when i saw the Mary Tyler Moore clip which i had forgotten, Pat is like another great one, Kaye Ballard, they both had this bombastic delivery that looked so R E A L !

And there are so many people like her who still want to work and have a thousand great stories to share but no place to do it. I feraked when i saw the Mary Tyler Moore clip which i had forgotten, Pat is like another great one, Kaye Ballard, they both had this bombastic delivery that looked so R E A L !

I'll always know her for being that hip cool motorcycle-driving Grandma from the Garfield holiday specials! BTW Garfield is the fat orange striped cat who loves lasagna in case anyone forgot.

I'll always know her for being that hip cool motorcycle-driving Grandma from the Garfield holiday specials! BTW Garfield is the fat orange striped cat who loves lasagna in case anyone forgot.

Now you see, i've never seen the Garfield specials or The Little Mermaid but i felt like an idiot when i read that she played Bunny Helper as i even remembered that name, classic TV all the way.

Fabulous talent! And one of the few 1950's Emmy winners we still have with us (Nanette Fabray and Ann B. Davis being among the others). I remember her from the game shows of the 1970's and then she made a huge comeback in the 1980's with her off-Broadway show one woman show as Gertrude Stein, winning a Grammy for the recording of the show, and going on to play regular roles in Ted Knight's TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT and Suzanne Somers' SHE'S THE SHERIFF sitcoms as well as doing a ton of voice work for cartoons most famously for Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID. She was on ER in 2005 which appears to be her most recent tv acting gig, I agree with Claude, I'd love to see her make a Betty White-like comeback.

And there are so many people like her who still want to work and have a thousand great stories to share but no place to do it. I freaked when i saw the Mary Tyler Moore clip which i had forgotten, Pat is like another great one, Kaye Ballard, they both had this bombastic delivery that looked so R E A L !

I read an interview with Kaye Ballard last year when she mentioned she had never won or been nominated for any of the major awards. Just unbelievable - especially when you think of all the undistinctive no-talents who are regularly honored these days.

Oh yes, Cara was one of the few beautiful actresses that ever came close to Lucy and the show was great too, I remember reading that Lucy told off Bob and Madelyn for letting that other redhead have some of their great material, LOL! Pat looks like the type that has a million great stories to share, wish she would. She should at least write a book.

LOVE to see her in Jamestown....JK

I read an interview with Kaye Ballard last year when she mentioned she had never won or been nominated for any of the major awards. Just unbelievable - especially when you think of all the undistinctive no-talents who are regularly honored these days.

LOVE to see her in Jamestown....JK

OMG that is so true. I think people considered Kaye over the top in some cases, she certainly was never subdued in any way, but she certainly deserved many awards for her great acting and comedic style. But there are many many people who never got anything back when there were only a few award shows, now that there are hundreds of them, there's very few performers deserving of any of them, LOL! Main example would be the People's Choice Awards which honor the mediocre and are just pre pubescent fans hogging the internet with their lame votes.

OMG that is so true. I think people considered Kaye over the top in some cases, she certainly was never subdued in any way, but she certainly deserved many awards for her great acting and comedic style. But there are many many people who never got anything back when there were only a few award shows, now that there are hundreds of them, there's very few performers deserving of any of them, LOL! Main example would be the People's Choice Awards which honor the mediocre and are just pre pubescent fans hogging the internet with their lame votes.

The Emmys are really just as bad - in the early 1960's they were quite notorious with just giving a few awards each year, for many years drama and comedy had to compete and I think there were a couple years without categories specifically for series performers! And now they give out like 10,000 Emmys a year - I mean they should hang their heads in shame that Justin Timberlake has won as many Emmys as Lucille Ball (and how ridiculous that Lucy only had four in the first place!!!) There are what four or five soaps still on the air and yet they have (or had) these soap categories like "Best Actor age 23-25" or something stupid like that!!

Yes, of course, i'd kill to meet either Pat or even Cara anywhere. Cara had a later comeback, now it's time for Pat to do teh same.

I've always heard the name Cara Williams (mainly in books on tv history) but I don't think I've ever seen her until this last Christmas when I watched the Red Skelton Show in that cheapie Christmas DVD set we were discussing. She plays Raggedy Ann to Red's hobo character and alas does not talk on the show. Her "main" career was over (apparently by choice) before I was school age so I've never seen her until now. I didn't know of her brief comeback in a few 1970's things, never watched RHODA except for the guest appearances by the Mary Tyler Moore cast and the Vivian Vance guest star gig and maybe a couple of other episodes so I didn't see Cara when she was on it.

I've always heard the name Cara Williams (mainly in books on tv history) but I don't think I've ever seen her until this last Christmas when I watched the Red Skelton Show in that cheapie Christmas DVD set we were discussing. She plays Raggedy Ann to Red's hobo character and alas does not talk on the show. Her "main" career was over (apparently by choice) before I was school age so I've never seen her until now. I didn't know of her brief comeback in a few 1970's things, never watched RHODA except for the guest appearances by the Mary Tyler Moore cast and the Vivian Vance guest star gig and maybe a couple of other episodes so I didn't see Cara when she was on it.

I dun't thin it was Cara who was Mary's show, it was Pat, sharing that hospital room with her. I dun't remember what Cara was on, but she looked exactly the same, just gorgeous, it was so nice seeing her again. On Pete and Gladys, i never missed her as she played Harry Morgan's wife, she had started as an unseen character on December Bride.

The Emmys are really just as bad - in the early 1960's they were quite notorious with just giving a few awards each year, for many years drama and comedy had to compete and I think there were a couple years without categories specifically for series performers! And now they give out like 10,000 Emmys a year - I mean they should hang their heads in shame that Justin Timberlake has won as many Emmys as Lucille Ball (and how ridiculous that Lucy only had four in the first place!!!) There are what four or five soaps still on the air and yet they have (or had) these soap categories like "Best Actor age 23-25" or something stupid like that!!

The Emmys might be bad but they're certainly nowhere near the awful People's Choice ones. But you're right, stars nowadays get Emmys for guest starring roles, if Lucy had had those in her day, she'd have a dozen Emmys. They now give Emmys for hair and make up too. Lucy could have gotten a Grammy just for reading a book. Remember that the biggest slight in a medium known for WRITING being the key ingredient, that Lucy and Desi begged the Academy, on air, to give awards to the writers. Bob and Madelyn were cheated out of some also.

Archived