Jump to content

Viv Bumps and Grinds with Joan Rivers


Recommended Posts

These shows are from Hulu, so unfortunately, they are only available in the US. Here are two episodes of Joan Rivers' 1969 talk show "That Show" with special guest Vivian Vance.

 

In the first episode, Vivian and Joan take stripping lessons. :D

 

 

The second show is "Taking Care of Yourself."

 

My link

 

There is a clip of the second show up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHV6R0a5mPg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love Viv's groovy hose! :D

Thought I read this rare show (i'd never heard of it till reading about the DVD!) was coming out soon on DVD! Don't know if it's going to feature Viv's ep or not but certainly hope so!

 

More about it here:

 

11988_s.jpg

Joan Rivers Show, The (AKA That Show)

-

Vol. 1-3

 

Description:

This 3-disc set includes 18 episodes of That Show with Joan Rivers. Each episode had a theme and Joan did an opening monologue based on the day's topic. The show also featured an expert on the subject and a celebrity guest. More than two decades before The Joan Rivers Show of the early nineties and when her daughter, Melissa, was barely a year old, Joan hosted her own syndicated daytime talk show on WNBC-TV of New York City called THAT SHOW. Commuting from her apartment on Park Avenue, Joan hosted and her husband, Edgar, produced THAT SHOW which aired five-times-a-week. The half-hour show would feature a guest celebrity as well as an expert guest tackling a particular subject-of-the-day. Joan would mix up a likely subject with an unlikely celebrity. Joan delivers 300 words a minute hilariously tearing into every subject from her own life to nudism or even buying a new car. THAT SHOW is a virtual time capsule of subject matters and personalities of the day, available to the public for the first time in over two decades! And it was the genius and tireless efforts of the young "working mother" who produced and captured it all for her new and old fans alike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love Viv's groovy hose! :D

Thought I read this rare show (i'd never heard of it till reading about the DVD!) was coming out soon on DVD! Don't know if it's going to feature Viv's ep or not but certainly hope so!

 

It doesn't look like Viv's episodes are part of the DVD set. There are 65 episodes of the series currently on Hulu, though. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I never heard of this show until this thread. I hate it when these dvd companies put out rare stuff like this and can't be bothered to tell us who all is in the shows, couldn't find a full guest cast list from the set anywhere. Closest I found mentions Rocky Graziano, James Earl Jones, Johnny Carson, Joel Grey, Carol Lawrence, Jerry Lewis, Soupy Sales, Steve Lawrence, Dick Cavett, Florence Henderson, Kitty Carlisle, Nancy Walker, Shecky Green "and more!"

 

Topics covered in Vol. 1 include "Nudism," "Interior Decorating," "Natural Childbirth," Children in Show Business," "Women's Hats" and "Social Director." Vol. 2, features "Cosmetic Surgery," "Etiquette," "Are You in Shape?," "Hypnosis," "Catering" and "Teenagers Today." And in Vol. 3, "Does Your Child Love You?," "The Jet Set," "Do You Need a Maid?," "Fan Magazines," "Speed Reading" and "Men's Furs."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Never heard of this show of Joan's until recently.  I wonder if it was local (NYC).  I love that the audience is sitting in metal folding chairs!  I enjoyed Joan's hour-long syndicated talk show in the late 80s and 90s.  It was before her comedy became so mean-spirited (not to say it wasn't funny).   She had interesting guests and themes.  One was all about the widow/ers of celebrities and how they were ignored after their spouse died----included were Gary and Altovise Davis (Mrs. Sammy).   AND another was about odd local cable access TV shows including Portland's own 6'5" 350 lb. gospel-preaching TV "transevangelist"  "Sister Paula"---whose physical appearance when she came on Joan's show drew audience snickers but to her credit, Joan treated her with respect.  I still know Sister Paula to this day and she never fails to amuse me.   Simultaneously to her TV show, she appeared at a drag bar here doing stand-up and she's actually HILARIOUS.   Here's a sample of Paula in her element for those interested.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I loved Joan's talk show. Watched almost every day in the summer. I have a few of the ones she did with Lucy people.

I came across a mention of the Gary Altovise one but not what show it was. Now I know it was Joan. I'd love to hear what they had to say. 

I may have a VHS copy of that Joan show......if I can find it.  Can't remember who else was on the show, but the main complaint was that the phone stopped ringing.   Without their celebrity spouse, they were no longer getting invited anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neil said:

I may have a VHS copy of that Joan show......if I can find it.  Can't remember who else was on the show, but the main complaint was that the phone stopped ringing.   Without their celebrity spouse, they were no longer getting invited anywhere. 

Oh I'd love to see the Gary portion if you could find it. Post 89' Gary stories are rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2018 at 11:30 AM, Luvsbway said:

Oh I'd love to see the Gary portion if you could find it. Post 89' Gary stories are rare.

Gary hit on Joan!  Edgar must have passed by then.  He did it kiddingly (twice) but I think Joan blushed.  Gary: I wonder if he knew none of Lucy's crowd, socially or at the studios, liked him.  I've never read anything complimentary about him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Neil said:

Gary hit on Joan!  Edgar must have passed by then.  He did it kiddingly (twice) but I think Joan blushed.  Gary: I wonder if he knew none of Lucy's crowd, socially or at the studios, liked him.  I've never read anything complimentary about him.  

Carol Burnett on that Dinah! seemed to think he was funny when she was talking about that baby shower. I have a picture of him golfing with Sinatra in I think the 60s or 70s. i heard even though he was not thought of as studio smart many said he was fun to be around. It was Lucy who was always the more quiet one from what I've heard.

Yes, Edgar died I think in the mid 80s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2018 at 1:48 PM, Luvsbway said:

Carol Burnett on that Dinah! seemed to think he was funny when she was talking about that baby shower. I have a picture of him golfing with Sinatra in I think the 60s or 70s. i heard even though he was not thought of as studio smart many said he was fun to be around. It was Lucy who was always the more quiet one from what I've heard.

Yes, Edgar died I think in the mid 80s. 

If you read Paula Stewart's book (NOT a Gary fan), the bit where, as Carol put it "Gary was being Don Rickles unwrapping the baby shower presents", was STOLEN from her then-husband Jack Carter who did the same thing at another baby shower (was that Carol's too?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neil said:

If you read Paula Stewart's book (NOT a Gary fan), the bit where, as Carol put it "Gary was being Don Rickles unwrapping the baby shower presents", was STOLEN from her then-husband Jack Carter who did the same thing at another baby shower (was that Carol's too?)

It was first done at the baby shower Lucy threw for Paula where Jack was doing the gift jokes. So Gary stole it and did it at Carol's, which it being new to her, thought it was hilarious. Lucie told this story at Carol's Mark Twain thing a few years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On November 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Neil said:

I may have a VHS copy of that Joan show......if I can find it.  Can't remember who else was on the show, but the main complaint was that the phone stopped ringing.   Without their celebrity spouse, they were no longer getting invited anywhere. 

Jack Benny's posthumously published autobiography includes copious footnotes from his daughter Joan, who does some post-Benny commentary about Mary Livingstone. It sounds like she suffered a similar fate when her husband died, despite being an excellent comedienne in her own right, albeit one who never really grew after radio. Apparently other stars merely "dealt" with her. I might have even read a comment from Lucy or Desi that didn't paint her too favorably. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Freddie2 said:

Jack Benny's posthumously published autobiography includes copious footnotes from his daughter Joan, who does some post-Benny commentary about Mary Livingstone. It sounds like she suffered a similar fate when her husband died, despite being an excellent comedienne in her own right, albeit one who never really grew after radio. Apparently other stars merely "dealt" with her. I might have even read a comment from Lucy or Desi that didn't paint her too favorably. 

I know someone on here said that Lucy and Mary didn't get along but I don't recall why.  Did it have to do with Mary making Jack sell the house on Roxbury or was it before that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HarryCarter changed the title to Viv Bumps and Grinds with Joan Rivers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...