UPDATED: Lucy Fest 2012 -- NOW WITH MORE LUCY & LUCIE!

Brock

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boring! All the Lucy related events sound just like last year!!! Can't they come up with some new original ways to celebrate Lucy!!!! Since the person running the center is not a Lucy fan I guess its no surprise...they can't even get a decent celebrity to headline the festival. Oh and they promise whoppi Goldberg would.be there then can't deliever what a surprise

Why don't they get some of the 1950s/1970s icons we still have with us? They don't have to be necessarily Lucy-linked. I'm sure a lot of these people could be fairly easily and reasonably booked. Dick Van Dyke, Nanette Fabray, Barbara Eden, Donna Douglas, June Lockhart, Jean Stapleton, Marlo Thomas, Ann B. Davis, Kaye Ballard, Pat Carroll, Pat Priest, Ruth Buzzi, etc. Most of them probably knew Lucy at least a little and could tell a story or two.

Why don't they get some of the 1950s/1970s icons we still have with us? They don't have to be necessarily Lucy-linked. I'm sure a lot of these people could be fairly easily and reasonably booked. Dick Van Dyke, Nanette Fabray, Barbara Eden, Donna Douglas, June Lockhart, Jean Stapleton, Marlo Thomas, Ann B. Davis, Kaye Ballard, Pat Carroll, Pat Priest, Ruth Buzzi, etc. Most of them probably knew Lucy at least a little and could tell a story or two.

Yeah! Why they booked Whitney Cummings last year I'll never know. :lucydisgust:

This would be great! I have always wondered why something like this isn't part of their plan. They had Joan Rivers last year, but it would provide something very exciting if they had a "classic" comedian/comedienne like the ones you've listed above on one night and couple them with an up-and-comer on the following night. That way they can celebrate the legacy of comedy as well as its future, keep the Jamestown regulars happy, and still attract their new target audience of fans of new comedy.

I'll add to your list Don Rickles, Sid Caesar, Phyllis Diller, Lily Tomlin...

Oh i'd definitey attend for a few of those named. Dick, Marlo, Kaye and Ruth especially. Donna, June and especially Pat too.

Oh i'd definitey attend for a few of those named. Dick, Marlo, Kaye and Ruth especially. Donna, June and especially Pat too.

They probably could book Donna Douglas, Nanette Fabray, Ruth Buzzi, Pat Carroll, and Kaye Ballard all for what they paid Whitney Cummings (who? - I honestly don't know who that is but presume it's somebody with a good agent and considered "hot" today) and surely bring in a ton more fans and a lot of publicity besides (ie: Good Morning America, news stories about a bunch of classic sitcom queens uniting to pay tribute to Lucy).

I didn't mention Carol, Betty, Lily, or MTM because I presumed they would be more 'spensive but definitely something to hope for as they all have spoken fondly of Lucy (Shirley MacLaine, too). I think a lot of the not quite still in the limelight names would though be honored enough to participate and might be much more reasonable to book and get several for the money.

Big time -- and very knowledgable on Lucy and related subjects. He is also the author of 2 (?) Lucy Books -- For The Love of Lucy and the I Love Lucy Quiz Book.

Love the FOR THE LOVE OF LUCY book (though it's really just photos of hundreds of Lucy memorabilia and collectibles issued over the years) although the prices he claims this stuff is worth is often quite absurd. He says almost everything worth $25 or more, even a lot of post-1980 stuff, while I bought copies of quite a bit of stuff pictured in this book well under ten bucks and a good amount under five.

Doesn't seem like they are interested in getting these classic comedians...they want young comedians to headline...focus more on comedy less on lucy

I just wonder if they realize the further they head in this direction, the more they're going to have to work to get new customers in. Cuz the old crowd will fade as the Lucy related stuff fades.

I mean, as much as we all may love the two museums and everything, once you've seen them, you've seen them. And if there's no special reason to go, they're not going to get the Lucy fans from all over. Hell, Jamestown is a mere 6 hours and I won't make that trip when Columbus (one hour trip, soon to be home) has numerous comedy clubs. What's the point? I can find 75% of the stuff in the gift shop around here, the books and videos for far cheaper on Amazon...and I'd rather support 59 Lucy Lane if the museum is so insistent on heading in this direction.

Ultimately, we're so close to being able to own every episode of Lucy's three most successful sitcoms, what more tribute need there be? From what I see, according to Ms. Gunderson, none. So I'll content myself to them. Spend my hard earned cash elsewhere.

I mean, as much as we all may love the two museums and everything, once you've seen them, you've seen them. And if there's no special reason to go, they're not going to get the Lucy fans from all over. Hell, Jamestown is a mere 6 hours and I won't make that trip when Columbus (one hour trip, soon to be home) has numerous comedy clubs. What's the point? I can find 75% of the stuff in the gift shop around here, the books and videos for far cheaper on Amazon...and I'd rather support 59 Lucy Lane if the museum is so insistent on heading in this direction.

Ultimately, we're so close to being able to own every episode of Lucy's three most successful sitcoms, what more tribute need there be? From what I see, according to Ms. Gunderson, none. So I'll content myself to them. Spend my hard earned cash elsewhere.

I totally agree! I buy all my Lucy stuff from 59 Lucy lane and I plan to go there during festival weekend! The center seems to be offering the same events as last year and I am just not interested in a repeat...I usually attend the festival every year but right now I am not interested in what they are offering I think they over promise and under deliver!

59 Lucy Lane will be turning half the property into a garden this spring. Fred Ball told me that he had a huge garden with vegetables and fruits in the whole yard. I am turning Fred's past project into Fred's future with fresh everything for SUSAN'S SOUP KITCHEN in Jamestown. The fresh stuff will be donated to Susan's as it grows. Should be great fun:) I will post pics as they develop!

59 Lucy Lane will be turning half the property into a garden this spring. Fred Ball told me that he had a huge garden with vegetables and fruits in the whole yard. I am turning Fred's past project into Fred's future with fresh everything for SUSAN'S SOUP KITCHEN in Jamestown. The fresh stuff will be donated to Susan's as it grows. Should be great fun:) I will post pics as they develop!

Zo suggested the garden be named "Fritzie Boy's Future"? So that it will be. Stop by and see the wonderful project while in Jamestown:) And thanks to Mel for visiting Zo and getting our garden named....

Archived