CBS Salutes Lucy DVD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evidently "Warners Music Group" is still stinging from the bath they took on the "Mame" soundtrack LP---WHICH by the way DID make the Billboard charts at least one week.

My question is: HOW did they find out about it so quickly? I uploaded it to youtube, then posted the UNLISTED link on the site immediately after.

Another shot missing from the new version is from "Men are Messy", I believe.

I could not find my 'non-professional release' CBS Salutes that I bought in the 80s and had to go back to the ORIGINAL recording I made in 1976 by lugging that behemoth reel to reel b/w video recorder home from school. That tape went from that reel to VHS, copied again on to another VHS and then to DVD.

So here's another try without the song.

It seems a fan wanted more of the classic scenes that Lucy is know for and that is why they redited the montage. However, I think it is fine the other way because it shows Lucy being hilarious in scenes that aren't as hyped up. Lucy was funny in everything she did from her shows. She was always the Queen and not just for a few scenes. I am glad you got this when it was 1976 long before I was born.

WOW - I wonder how many units were sold. Usually the bottom of the Top 200 sell roughly around 2,000 to 3,000 copies depending on sales week, so i can only imagine how many # 497 would have sold.

Well actually wasn't it one of those Rhino limited release issues that they were pretty well thought of for a time? I don't think they do them anymore but then honestly, I haven't really researched it but I do know I got a few albums --er, CDs through this avenue: They'd release them, only press a certain number of copies --- 3,000 was the usual, if memory serves, they were numbered and that one pressing was it, once they were gone, they were gone. Certainly one way (IMHO) to make a title more "valuable" by making it's availability limited. I do recall seeing a copy in a used bin at my local haunt recently and thought then if I don't grab it (to have an extra), I'd regret it but there you have it: I didn't so I dun't. Oh, well it's backed up digitally in several places so hopefully, I'm okay.

:lucythrill:

It seems a fan wanted more of the classic scenes that Lucy is know for and that is why they redited the montage.

I am glad you got this when it was 1976 long before I was born.

I heard from someone who said Lucy used this montage as the opening to her Q&A sessions later and the extra scenes were added for that---which makes sense--probably by the original clip-picker: Gary.

It's interesting, but I can't begin to speculate on the perspective of Lucy's body of work that a lot of you have, like Will born long after 1976. It would be like those of us "long BEFORE 1976" getting into Theda Bara long after "I Love Theda", "The Theda Show", and "Here's Theda" had left the air. Not to mention her ill-fated "Life with Theda" comeback and those "The Theda Bara-Francis X. Bushman Comedy Hour" specials they'd run every summer.

I heard from someone who said Lucy used this montage as the opening to her Q&A sessions later and the extra scenes were added for that---which makes sense--probably by the original clip-picker: Gary.

It's interesting, but I can't begin to speculate on the perspective of Lucy's body of work that a lot of you have, like Will born long after 1976. It would be like those of us "long BEFORE 1976" getting into Theda Bara long after "I Love Theda", "The Theda Show", and "Here's Theda" had left the air. Not to mention her ill-fated "Life with Theda" comeback and those "The Theda Bara-Francis X. Bushman Comedy Hour" specials they'd run every summer.

I can't either, but at the time, i was twelve when The Lucy show came about so i appreciated that one so much, whereas i had been too young for most of the run of ILL, although i saw that for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the premise of her raising her own kids again on Here's Lucy but yes, the writing wasn't always up to snuff compared to her first classic shows, hence the reason they kept rehashing some of thsoe scripts. BUT, as we've all said before, some of the shows from HL or TLS were even better than the ILL ones, or some of them anyway. Imagine how great her LATER shows would have been with decent writing, don't even get me started on LWL, except for the Meadows one and possibly the Ritter show with some twists, you have to find the humor with a magnefying glass. But for me she was the QUEEN of comedy by the time thsoe two later shows came about so i was watching the Queen and could have cared less about the writing, it was funny just seeing her rise above SOME of that material. She could make caviar out of baloney and yes, i would have watched her read the phone book at that point. Remember that for every great performance Nicholson, Pacino or Hoffman had, there were plenty of duds after they became superstars.

I never did understand why Lucy became a HIT on Mondays, the first day back at school or work for most of us. Did she overtake the drudgery of that day by making us forget? And yes, back in our day Neil, The Lucy Desi comedy hour meant it was summer and her new series prolonged the joy of having her among us getting through wars and world events that shook us, she made us forget all that and just laugh. I forget who just said on a clip i watched yesterday on the net that watching What's my Line on Sundays was the last show to see before we went to bed and the dreaded school week that followed. And people kept going back to Lucy as the world suffocated us and changed too fast, Lucy never changed, she was forever getting a ring stuck on her finger, jumping to the wrong conclusions and making us see and appreciate the absurdities of life.

There were lotts of shows that became hits on Monday's. Look at CBS in the past 20 years.

20 years? Try 60 years! I believe it's a tradition that started with the nation's I Love Lucy habit of the 50s. Since the beginning of television, except for one season (1988's Monday Movie) CBS has never scheduled anything but a comedy Mondays at 9 and the ratings track record is impressive. Danny Thomas, Andy Griffith, Here's Lucy, Maude, MASH, Newhart, Kate & Ally, Murphy Brown, Raymond, and now 2 1/2 Men. (My source book only goes up until 1998, so I may have missed some.)

The list of series that had only one of their seasons in that timeslot: AfterMash (which was renewed on a different night ), All in the Family, and, of course, The Lucy Show: which ironically had its lowest top 10 ranking in the I Love Lucy time slot: still an impressive #8.

The 9:00 Monday sitcom failures: "The Betty White Show", canceled mid-season and the last year of "Cybil".

20 years? Try 60 years! I believe it's a tradition that started with the nation's I Love Lucy habit of the 50s. Since the beginning of television, except for one season (1988's Monday Movie) CBS has never scheduled anything but a comedy Mondays at 9 and the ratings track record is impressive. Danny Thomas, Andy Griffith, Here's Lucy, Maude, MASH, Newhart, Kate & Ally, Murphy Brown, Raymond, and now 2 1/2 Men. (My source book only goes up until 1998, so I may have missed some.)

The list of series that had only one of their seasons in that timeslot: AfterMash (which was renewed on a different night ), All in the Family, and, of course, The Lucy Show: which ironically had its lowest top 10 ranking in the I Love Lucy time slot: still an impressive #8.

The 9:00 Monday sitcom failures: "The Betty White Show", canceled mid-season and the last year of "Cybil".

I left "Mayberry RFD" out of the list.

Going solely from memory here so forgive me if I'm mistaken but I think The Sandy Duncan Show was another exception to the hit sitcom on Monday night "rule", as I believe after having to prematurely pull the plug on Funny Face (the original title/show and a big hit) for her eye (brain?) surgery, the ratings were never the same once it returned. Also, what about Dan Dailey's Governor and J.J.?

John Forsythe's To Rome With Love? Or were they on different nights?

:peachonthebeach:

Going solely from memory here so forgive me if I'm mistaken but I think The Sandy Duncan Show was another exception to the hit sitcom on Monday night "rule", as I believe after having to prematurely pull the plug on Funny Face (the original title/show and a big hit) for her eye (brain?) surgery, the ratings were never the same once it returned. Also, what about Dan Dailey's Governor and J.J.?

John Forsythe's To Rome With Love? Or were they on different nights?

:peachonthebeach:

MY sources say The Sandy Duncan Show (aka Funny Face revised) was on Sunday night in a failed CBS comedy block that included Yul Brynner's Anna and the King (and I), The New Dick Van Dyke Show (2nd season) and the first for MASH. Ratings were not good for any of them, but Mash and DVD were renewed. Sandy and Yul got the mid-season ax. What a bad year for poor Sandy. "FF" had been a single cam filmed show: "SD" was shot before an audience. The same character, though.

To Rome aired Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Governor Tuesday and Wednesday before the network cancelled it prompting Lucy Carter to write her poison pen letter.

Archived