A Lucy Bio headed for Broadway

mickie

Due to the recent opening of a play on the Life of Judy Garland - which by the way, its based on legend and FICTION, a poll was recently taken on the next star that theater goes would like to a Broadway play about it and guess who was No. 1?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/160976/weekend-poll-top-three-fans-hope-for-broadway-bio-plays-of-lucille-ball-and-more-showbiz-icons/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say that a show is headed to Broadway, but rather that there is an audience interest in seeing Lucy's life on stage. There have been several Lucy theater pieces in the last couple of years - Suzanne LaRusch's Thank You for Asking, Lee Tannen's I Loved Lucy, and The Cuban and the Redhead (or whatever it has been retitled to). Lucie and Larry Luckinbill were working on a musical based on Desi's autobiography and they were still talking about it as recently as 2009, so that's still a possibility. I think that and Suzanne's show have the best chance of making it to New York at some point.

I wouldn't say that a show is headed to Broadway, but rather that there is an audience interest in seeing Lucy's life on stage. There have been several Lucy theater pieces in the last couple of years - Suzanne LaRusch's Thank You for Asking, Lee Tannen's I Loved Lucy, and The Cuban and the Redhead (or whatever it has been retitled to). Lucie and Larry Luckinbill were working on a musical based on Desi's autobiography and they were still talking about it as recently as 2009, so that's still a possibility. I think that and Suzanne's show have the best chance of making it to New York at some point.

Would love to see Suzanne's show on Broadway

Due to the recent opening of a play on the Life of Judy Garland - which by the way, its based on legend and FICTION, a poll was recently taken on the next star that theater goes would like to a Broadway play about it and guess who was No. 1?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/160976/weekend-poll-top-three-fans-hope-for-broadway-bio-plays-of-lucille-ball-and-more-showbiz-icons/

Oh my, Lucy topping Lizzie, my heart just skipped a beat. This is possibly one of the best threads i have ever read, thanks Mickie.

Of course they are, her daddy again, will someone please tell her that her M O T H E R was the superstar everybody loves and that's the show she SHOULD be working on.

Of course they are, her daddy again, will someone please tell her that her M O T H E R was the superstar everybody loves and that's the show she SHOULD be working on.

Yeah, I agree with you, but to be fair Lucie did direct (and write) Suzanne LaRusch in her play, right?

Yeah, I agree with you, but to be fair Lucie did direct (and write) Suzanne LaRusch in her play, right?

Oh, so that explains why the material was sub par then. No, seriously, i hated the material BEFORE i found out she wrote it. I'll bet you she'd write soemthing terrific if it was about her little daddy.

Oh, so that explains why the material was sub par then. No, seriously, i hated the material BEFORE i found out she wrote it.

What precisely do you find "sub par" about it? Hate is a very strong word. I didn't realise you had seen it.

Suzanne is excellent in the show, as is the material.

I rather feel that Lucie can (and should!) work on whatever projects she chooses. Just because Lucy was a bigger star than Desi doesn't mean a show about him would be any less entertaining. Really, a musical about Desi makes more sense to me than a musical about Lucy, seeing as he was a musician and all.

I rather feel that Lucie can (and should!) work on whatever projects she chooses.

Agreed! I always find it a bit funny to read people saying "Lucie SHOULD do this" or "Lucie is ONLY doing this because of THAT." Let the woman do whatever she damn well chooses. She has been very successful so far.

What precisely do you find "sub par" about it? Hate is a very strong word. I didn't realise you had seen it.

Suzanne is excellent in the show, as is the material.

Yes, Suzanne IS excellent, always has been but the material i found lacking. Saw several clips, almost the entire show.

I rather feel that Lucie can (and should!) work on whatever projects she chooses. Just because Lucy was a bigger star than Desi doesn't mean a show about him would be any less entertaining. Really, a musical about Desi makes more sense to me than a musical about Lucy, seeing as he was a musician and all.

I was referring to her constant idolizing of her dad's work as opposed to her feelings about her mom. And i said she should realize that everybody knows her but the same cannot be said about him.

Agreed! I always find it a bit funny to read people saying "Lucie SHOULD do this" or "Lucie is ONLY doing this because of THAT." Let the woman do whatever she damn well chooses. She has been very successful so far.

Oh i know, she's a regular SUPERSTAR in show business. Her last success was amazing, getting an Emmy for Home Movies, made by her parents, about her parents and financed with the money she got from her mom's estate.

Oh i know, she's a regular SUPERSTAR in show business. Her last success was amazing, getting an Emmy for Home Movies, made by her parents, about her parents and financed with the money she got from her mom's estate.

Yup, because Lucy and Desi thought in the 40s and 50s:

Desi: Hey, let's shoot all these home movies and lock them away in a hope chest in the hopes they stitch themselves together into an award winning documentary a few years after we're dead! :)

Lucy: BRILLIANT! I'll get the camera!

:rolleyes:

Lucie has always said she's never wanted to be a superstar in show business. She's seen the effect it can have on people. She's more than happy to be a wife and mother and working performer.

I agree that Lucie has the right to do anything she wants, but I can't help but agree with Claude. I know she's proud of her heritage and Desi was very smart; and I can see how she would want people to learn about her father and see his side. But really, everyone is more concerned about Lucy, with good reason to be. She was the star of I Love Lucy and her countless other sitcoms. I wish she would focus on a few more projects about her mother as well. Or at the very least make the Suzanne LaRush tour a bit broader and give more fans a chance to see it.

Or at the very least make the Suzanne LaRush tour a bit broader and give more fans a chance to see it.

I don't think that has anything to do with Lucie, but is a matter of people actually wanting to book the show. Perhaps with the seeming popularity of the ILL stage show more avenues will open up.

Lucie has always said she's never wanted to be a superstar in show business. She's seen the effect it can have on people. She's more than happy to be a wife and mother and working performer.

And i will never take away from the fact that she is beautiful, amazingly youthful looking for her age, very talented as a singer/dancer, she was terrific in movies, quite capable on tv shows getting better and better year after year and she seems to have raised some great kids. My O N L Y problem with her is what she's said about her mom over the years, the woman who gave her life and a career and the means to be able to work and raise kids in today's economy and the sad state of show business today where so many no talents rule while great performers like her cannot find work. Even the crack you list above, yet another dig at her mom, who really was a superstar, but still managed to be a great wife and mother AS WELL AS BEING ONE OF THE GREATEST PERFORMERS OF ALL TIME. The main reason Lucie is known at all today is BECAUSE her mother nurtured her many talents, gave her a job on her show, and left her the money to be able to do what she wants today. Yes, it must be annoying to have people tell you how much they loved your mom, but other stars like Liza were able to go on and not tear down their mom in the process.

No, I don't know. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but since nothing in particular comes to mind on why you think the material was sub-par, how would you have improved it?

Also, where have you seen all of these clips that amount to practically the whole show? The four minute promo piece on YouTube?

Archived