A Lucy Bio headed for Broadway

mickie

Yeah, loved that bit in Lee Tannen's book about Lee going over to the Roxbury house after she passed on and gary's moving this plant to the bedroom or something, saying he can finally do what he wants now that she's gone. Thank God she had that house sold and he didn't get to live like a King in it for the next ten years although he did squeeze three more in that house as they couldn't sell it and they had to kick him out of there when they finally did.

Yeah. That's a pretty disgusting thing to say about your wife who just literally died. Almost like he was ready to do a jig -- Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead. LOL. Couldn't believe how callous that sounded when I read that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucie and Larry Luckinbill were working on a musical based on Desi's autobiography and they were still talking about it as recently as 2009, so that's still a possibility.

Desi's life would make a perfect theatrical piece. If not a musical, a drama with music. It's got everything a Greek tragedy has: privileged upbringing to sudden poverty, an immigrant's struggle achieving success in a new world, teaming up with his love and turning their relationship into an enormous and unparalleled success, then turning self-destructive and toppling down from the excess as his love moves on without him.

The big problem is that the focus must be on Desi's struggles and having him as the main character is impossible when you add Lucille Ball to the mix, because people will be disappointed that it's not more about her than him.

Desi's life would make a perfect theatrical piece. If not a musical, a drama with music. It's got everything a Greek tragedy has: privileged upbringing to sudden poverty, an immigrant's struggle achieving success in a new world, teaming up with his love and turning their relationship into an enormous and unparalleled success, then turning self-destructive and toppling down from the excess as his love moves on without him.

The big problem is that the focus must be on Desi's struggles and having him as the main character is impossible when you add Lucille Ball to the mix, because people will be disappointed that it's not more about her than him.

Yeah, no kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

It must also be annoying for her to be in her sixties and have people harping on and on about out-of-context quotes taken from her in her thirties and have the continually thrown back in her face despite going far beyond the call of duty -- beyond any stretch of the imagination -- to ensure her mother's legacy lives on not only for herself, her brother, and their collective children and grandchildren, but for fans around the globe.

You apparently have never seen Lucie's notorious appearance on the Joan Rivers show in 1989, just months after Lucy's death where she basically spent the whole hour complaining about Lucy. Hard to see how that infamous interview could be taken out of context.

Lucie going above and beyond to "ensure her mother's legacy"?? Please - she raking in dough by sticking Lucy's image on all sorts of knickknacks that I doubt Lucy would have ok'd in her lifetime. Mind you, I do love collectibles :rolleyes: but I have no doubt this is not about her mother's "legacy". And I don't see how anyone can deny she is hyping "Lucy and Desi" as if they were as inseparable as Laurel and Hardy. I like Desi enormously but he would be the first person to tell you Lucy was the star and he was just her straight man.

Lucie's nicer to Lucy now surely in part because you can't hardly sell Lucy as Barbie/Hello Kitty and knock her at the same time.

I was flabbergastered by that interview link on Lucie's website where Lucie recalls one of her mother's many flattering comments about her, re starring on Broadway in THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG something like "I could never do that" - to which Lucie seems to agree, rather oblivious to Lucy's monster Broadway hit WILDCAT.

You apparently have never seen Lucie's notorious appearance on the Joan Rivers show in 1989, just months after Lucy's death where she basically spent the whole hour complaining about Lucy. Hard to see how that infamous interview could be taken out of context.

Lucie going above and beyond to "ensure her mother's legacy"?? Please - she raking in dough by sticking Lucy's image on all sorts of knickknacks that I doubt Lucy would have ok'd in her lifetime. Mind you, I do love collectibles :rolleyes: but I have no doubt this is not about her mother's "legacy". And I don't see how anyone can deny she is hyping "Lucy and Desi" as if they were as inseparable as Laurel and Hardy. I like Desi enormously but he would be the first person to tell you Lucy was the star and he was just her straight man.

Lucie's nicer to Lucy now surely in part because you can't hardly sell Lucy as Barbie/Hello Kitty and knock her at the same time.

I was flabbergastered by that interview link on Lucie's website where Lucie recalls one of her mother's many flattering comments about her, re starring on Broadway in THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG something like "I could never do that" - to which Lucie seems to agree, rather oblivious to Lucy's monster Broadway hit WILDCAT.

OMG, finally someone else sees the light, no more bull, with her, it's all about the MONEY, nothing else. You, LADY, are a woman after my own heart! Thank you for telling the truth instead of spreading the manure around, LOL!

OMG, finally someone else sees the light, no more bull, with her, it's all about the MONEY, nothing else. You, LADY, are a woman after my own heart! Thank you for telling the truth instead of spreading the manure around, LOL!

You're welcome Claude though I should remind you I'm not a lady but a guy named Tom LOL. I think I only mentioned that once when I first started posting so I can easily see how you wouldn't remember. I don't dislike "Little Lucie" but like you I am rather cynical about her quasi-conversion to loving Lucy in the last decade.

LOL. I was just going to post the same thing to them, Claude. Sometimes people choose to put on their blinders with celebrities. You have to remember that Lucie is a person with flaws just like any other. She obviously still has some unresolved issues with her mother, she's just being a tad passive-aggressive about it nowadays. That's my opinion on it.

You're welcome Claude though I should remind you I'm not a lady but a guy named Tom LOL. I think I only mentioned that once when I first started posting so I can easily see how you wouldn't remember. I don't dislike "Little Lucie" but like you I am rather cynical about her quasi-conversion to loving Lucy in the last decade.

Fitting that my last post here be about that PERSON, i just thank God i never had to actually SEE that interview you mention.

Out of context is one thing, but don't you think the perspective of someone in their thirties can change once they hit their 50s and 60s? Not to mention the fact that emotions would be running high so close to the death of a parent.

Sorry Tom, i always go by the picture to assume one's sex, anyhoo you got my PM so keep on truckin, tellin it like it is, i know they can't deal with that here so i'm outta here, must be a bunch of bubbleheaded republicans from the south.

Out of context is one thing, but don't you think the perspective of someone in their thirties can change once they hit their 50s and 60s? Not to mention the fact that emotions would be running high so close to the death of a parent.

Not to mention the will not having enough money for her in it. She wanted her home playing with her but she was working to get that money accumulated for her.

I think I may have seen that Joan Rivers. I chalk it up to this. I think Lucie learned a lot about her mother and why she was the way she was when she was putting together the Home Movies special. In the pre HM one of Joan show I remember she seemed to not really understand some aspects of her mother that became more evident in the HM special.

Archived