There's just something about Lucy in Mame that makes many musical buffs MAD. So mad that they either make stuff up or repeat rumors/speculations as if they were fact.

Among them: Lucy stole the part from Angela. Lucy bought the rights and/or financed the picture (either wholly or in part). Lucy insisted on doing her own singing. Lucy herself requested soft-focus (possible, but unlikely). Lucy had Madelyn Kahn fired because she was too pretty and Lucy didn't want the "competition".

But here's a a new one from Ken Bloom's "101 Greatest Movie Musicals" book.

Mame is the most prominently featured movie on the page entitled "The Worst Movie Musicals"

"When the film opened at Radio City, Lucy took a curtain call and the crowd actually hissed her. Then Bea came on and the crowd cheered. Then back came Lucy and there were more boos."

The crowd K I S S E D her, they kept blowing kisses at her and she blew them back at them, it was loverly. Then she invited them all to a block party on the street outside and she asked what they wanted most there and they all answered, B O O Z E !

There's just something about Lucy in Mame that makes many musical buffs MAD. So mad that they either make stuff up or repeat rumors/speculations as if they were fact.

Among them: Lucy stole the part from Angela. Lucy bought the rights and/or financed the picture (either wholly or in part). Lucy insisted on doing her own singing. Lucy herself requested soft-focus (possible, but unlikely). Lucy had Madelyn Kahn fired because she was too pretty and Lucy didn't want the "competition".

Mame is the most prominently featured movie on the page entitled "The Worst Movie Musicals"

"When the film opened at Radio City, Lucy took a curtain call and the crowd actually hissed her. Then Bea came on and the crowd cheered. Then back came Lucy and there were more boos."

I find the last statement extremely hard to believe.

Y' s got friends?? Hard to imagine! ;)

Yeah, they meet regularly at a mentally handicapped group. They think Lucy's shows were dramas and that she was a singer above anything else. They had no idea her comedy was written down for her, they thought she made it all up as she went along. Brain Damage is the President of the group, they are called the Tuesday night tear down Lucy group, they meet every Thursday.
  • Like 1

Thank goodness! I've been in a real Mame mood lately. I kind of wished I had Auntie Mame also.

All us gay guys usually did, we always pick the most youthful in spirit, life of the party, fun loving, can't wait to have a good time lady. Mine passed away a couple years ago at 95, she did everything, sampled everything the world had to offer and taught me about life just like Auntie Mame did, she behaved just like Lucy Ricardo in real life and her best friend's name was LUCY.

• 4 weeks later...

I do believe this.. why else would this be mentioned in a book with a section tittled "Bad Musicals"... certainly more than this one was mentioned...

I do find this sad because LUCY wasn't at fault here.. her director and editor should have been HISSED... look how great she was in YOURS MINE AND OURS... and to come out with a turkey like MAME after THAT great movie is such a shame...

I am not saying I don't like MAME, I am not saying I don't like LUCY in it... I am saying I believe she was hissed at by the crowd when she took her curtain call..... So we all must realize she wasn't at her "BEST" in MAME.. we know she could have done better... (I wouldn 't have hissed her.. but I doubt I would have cheered her either) Bea Arthur is really a DELIGHT in MAME...

"... Well what the hell.. let's have a toast anyway... "

I do believe this.. why else would this be mentioned in a book with a section tittled "Bad Musicals"... certainly more than this one was mentioned...

I do find this sad because LUCY wasn't at fault here.. her director and editor should have been HISSED... look how great she was in YOURS MINE AND OURS... and to come out with a turkey like MAME after THAT great movie is such a shame...

I am not saying I don't like MAME, I am not saying I don't like LUCY in it... I am saying I believe she was hissed at by the crowd when she took her curtain call..... So we all must realize she wasn't at her "BEST" in MAME.. we know she could have done better... (I wouldn 't have hissed her.. but I doubt I would have cheered her either) Bea Arthur is really a DELIGHT in MAME...

"... Well what the hell.. let's have a toast anyway... "

Oh, please don't start this again - how do we know Lucy was "hissed at by the crowd" - I SO don't believe this! Who would hiss at someone???? Were you there??? Was anyone there who can verify this????

Oh, please don't start this again - how do we know Lucy was "hissed at by the crowd" - I SO don't believe this! Who would hiss at someone???? Were you there??? Was anyone there who can verify this????

Yendor is probably the ass who wrote this book. Lol. I don't believe she was hissed at either. Bullpooky.

• Like 1