Which old stars got jobs with Lucy?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honey, i meant real S T A R S , big names past their prime, like Charles Lane, Kathleen Freeman although she was doing movies with Jerry Lewis, not friends, associates or supporting players on her shows. Good examples are the ones named so far, Bob Cummings, Rudy Vallee, maybe even Tallulah Bankhead. BIG names, past their prime but whom she got jobs for, like her old flame who directed Forever Darling.

Guess I worded it badly; but, weren't many of the regulars on her various shows, already actors/actresses; and she gave them jobs? That's why I said I'd have to go back and look at my bios of 'folk' to see those who have been with her; but, in films, etc., with her BEFORE her various shows.... sorry if I 'cornfused' you... JK

Guess I worded it badly; but, weren't many of the regulars on her various shows, already actors/actresses; and she gave them jobs? That's why I said I'd have to go back and look at my bios of 'folk' to see those who have been with her; but, in films, etc., with her BEFORE her various shows.... sorry if I 'cornfused' you... JK

You didn't confuse me, i just didn't want you to go to any more TROUBLE looking for peoople that she emplyed a lot like gary's cousin sid gould, i wanted BIG NAMES like Buster Keaton and so on. There's loads of stories that we never hear of about people they TRIED to get for shows that just never got around to actually happening for various reasons. Like Debbie Reynolds for the next Lucy Desi comedy hour that did not happen because of the divorce. It just kills me that some talented people like Debbie who does everything so well is not also feeling the Betty White syndrome and working again as these wonderful people SHOULD be doing.

You didn't confuse me, i just didn't want you to go to any more TROUBLE looking for peoople that she emplyed a lot like gary's cousin sid gould, i wanted BIG NAMES like Buster Keaton and so on. There's loads of stories that we never hear of about people they TRIED to get for shows that just never got around to actually happening for various reasons. Like Debbie Reynolds for the next Lucy Desi comedy hour that did not happen because of the divorce. It just kills me that some talented people like Debbie who does everything so well is not also feeling the Betty White syndrome and working again as these wonderful people SHOULD be doing.

Don't know about BIG NAMES; but, just found 4 from today's chronology:

Florence Bates, John Williams, HANS CONRIED, and Joseph Crehan; I'll keep looking each day - maybe I can get it right! Love, JK

Hans Conried, veteran supporting cast member, Lucille Ball/Richard Denning's CBS' Radio series, My Favorite Husband, 1948-51; Lucille early film-career co-star, The Big Street, 1942; guest, Percy Livermore, (“I Love Lucy”) “Redecorating”, “Lucy Hires An English Tutor”, 1952; guest, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America “The Swamp Fox”, 1955; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Danny, 7 episodes, 1956-63, The Red Skelton Show “Clem in New York”, 1957; Desilu Productions’, Whirlybirds “The Rustlers”, 1957; The Californians “The Painless Extractionist”, 1958; The Lucy Show “Lucy Plays Cleopatra”, and "Lucy’s Barbershop Quartet”, 1963; guest, You Don't Say, 1964; and Host, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Fractured Flickers, 26 episodes, 1963-64; as well as (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Danny Thomas”, 1973, is born this date in 1917.

Don't know about BIG NAMES; but, just found 4 from today's chronology:

Florence Bates, John Williams, HANS CONRIED, and Joseph Crehan; I'll keep looking each day - maybe I can get it right! Love, JK

Nope, only one there i'd consider a NAME and it wasn't much of a NAME is Hans Conried but he was working as Uncle Tonoose for Danny Thomas anyway so not out of work or anything. I meant BIG NAMES like Gloria Swanson or Mae West, who both did The Beverly Hillbillies at one point, although Mae still kept up with movies almost to the end although they were horrible turkeys that make other movies called turkeys look tame by comparison, if you catch my drift.

FINALLY! Two perfect examples, thank you!

Okay - you suggest 'em; I'll see what I have:

Sid Caesar, 1950's, 60's half the comedy team, with Imogene Coca, Your Show of Shows, 1950-54; Lucille Ball's co-star, 20th Century Fox, A Guide to the Married Man, 1967; Lucille’s guest, The Lucy Show ‘”Lucy and Sid Caesar”, 1968; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Flight To Holocaust, 1977, as well as with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979; is born this date in 1922.

Phil Silvers, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Roxie Hart, 1942; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1956, 1958; Lucille appears, uncredited, in a cameo role, on Phil's Show: Bilko's Ape Man, 1959; with Lucille, Toast of the Town, 1962; Lucille’s guest co-star, The Lucy Show “Lucy and Phil Silvers”, 1966; and co-star, United Jewish Welfare Fund’s All About People, 1967; as well as with Lucille, archivally, NBC', Bob Hope's Bag of Christmas Memories, 1993, is born this date in 1911.

Now.....THIS MIGHT WORK.... JK

How 'bout - Doug McClure, veteran of nearly 100 films; star, as Trampas, The Virginian, 249 episodes, 1962-71; star, as Kyle X. Applegate, Out of This World, 81 episodes, 1987-1991; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, “Bad Medicine”, as Luke Toblee, 1958; Desilu Productions', U.S. Marshal, as Bruce Williams, “The Threat”, 1959; Desi Arnaz co-star, The Virginian, “The Best Man”, 1970; as well as Desi, IV, co-star, Automan, as Detective Ted Smithers, 1983, is born this date in 1935.

OR:

William Fawcett, Lucille Ball co-star, Columbia Pictures’, The Magic Carpet, 1951; cast member, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy Hunts Uranium”, 1958, “Lucy’s Summer Vacation”, 1959, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables “The Tri-State Gang”, 1959; Harrigan and Son “Pay the Two Dollars”, 1960; Whirlybirds “Lynch Mob”, unknown year; The Texan “The Nomad”, 1960, The Untouchables “The Underground Court”, 1961; as well as Mannix “To the Swiftest, Death”, 1968, is born this date in 1894.

Okay - you suggest 'em; I'll see what I have:

Sid Caesar, 1950's, 60's half the comedy team, with Imogene Coca, Your Show of Shows, 1950-54; Lucille Ball's co-star, 20th Century Fox, A Guide to the Married Man, 1967; Lucille’s guest, The Lucy Show ‘”Lucy and Sid Caesar”, 1968; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Flight To Holocaust, 1977, as well as with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979; is born this date in 1922.

Phil Silvers, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Roxie Hart, 1942; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1956, 1958; Lucille appears, uncredited, in a cameo role, on Phil's Show: Bilko's Ape Man, 1959; with Lucille, Toast of the Town, 1962; Lucille’s guest co-star, The Lucy Show “Lucy and Phil Silvers”, 1966; and co-star, United Jewish Welfare Fund’s All About People, 1967; as well as with Lucille, archivally, NBC', Bob Hope's Bag of Christmas Memories, 1993, is born this date in 1911.

Now.....THIS MIGHT WORK.... JK

How 'bout - Doug McClure, veteran of nearly 100 films; star, as Trampas, The Virginian, 249 episodes, 1962-71; star, as Kyle X. Applegate, Out of This World, 81 episodes, 1987-1991; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, “Bad Medicine”, as Luke Toblee, 1958; Desilu Productions', U.S. Marshal, as Bruce Williams, “The Threat”, 1959; Desi Arnaz co-star, The Virginian, “The Best Man”, 1970; as well as Desi, IV, co-star, Automan, as Detective Ted Smithers, 1983, is born this date in 1935.

OR:

William Fawcett, Lucille Ball co-star, Columbia Pictures’, The Magic Carpet, 1951; cast member, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “Lucy Hunts Uranium”, 1958, “Lucy’s Summer Vacation”, 1959, Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables “The Tri-State Gang”, 1959; Harrigan and Son “Pay the Two Dollars”, 1960; Whirlybirds “Lynch Mob”, unknown year; The Texan “The Nomad”, 1960, The Untouchables “The Underground Court”, 1961; as well as Mannix “To the Swiftest, Death”, 1968, is born this date in 1894.

Thanks, Doug however never even got a job from Lucy and the second one i never even heard of.

Does Joan Crawford count? Seems like Joan was busy with horrid films and personal appearances in the mid-late 60s but she'd certainly fallen on hard times...professionally and personally.

Was there any mention of Pepsi on that Lucy show? As it was after Alfred Steele died and she had to do those horror movies that she came upon hard times, she kept making these crappy B flicks until the end of the sixties i think but did that Lucy show in the middle sixties right?

Thanks, Doug however never even got a job from Lucy and the second one i never even heard of.

This is risky;

..... but, Claude, guess if you've never heard of them; they aren't to be named in this thread????

And, since when is Desilu Studios' and Desilu Productions NOT part of Lucille? I can see a connection.... guess that would take my chronology down to about 35 pages if we have to exclude Desilu....

I have a hunch this is gonna 'COST ME'....

Was there any mention of Pepsi on that Lucy show? As it was after Alfred Steele died and she had to do those horror movies that she came upon hard times, she kept making these crappy B flicks until the end of the sixties i think but did that Lucy show in the middle sixties right?

Joan had never done a play before and was very nervous about appearing in front of an audience. She had done variety guest shots and skits within those shows but never something like this. I have a recording of a telephone conversation between Joan and columnist Shirley Eder (recorded by Eder). Shirley is urging Joan to consider a play. Joan says she's never had to memorize a whole show because in movies she just had to learn whatever scene was to be show that day. This was the week before she was to guest on the Lucy Show, so she'll get her "feet wet with that and see how it goes".

Needless to say, Joan never did a play.

She bemoans that in the movies of today (1968) "they just don't write parts for women my age: FIFTY" (?!). Depending on the source Joan was anywhere between 60 and 64 at the time.

If you didn't know the infamous back story of Joan appearance on TLS, you wouldn't know there was all that trouble. Joan does fine and looks great: she could pass for 50. The "Lost Star" show is fine until they get to the "Speakeasy Days" show-within-show, "written by Lucille Carmichael".

This is risky;

..... but, Claude, guess if you've never heard of them; they aren't to be named in this thread????

And, since when is Desilu Studios' and Desilu Productions NOT part of Lucille? I can see a connection.... guess that would take my chronology down to about 35 pages if we have to exclude Desilu....

I have a hunch this is gonna 'COST ME'....

Oy friggin vey, i am asking which MAJOR STARS Lucy helped out with jobs when jobs were scarce for them, like Joan Crawford or Buster Keaton, once superstars whose carreers were envigorated by appearances on her shows, not minor names, M A J O R and B I G names, for that time, not an obscure actress who worked with her at the start and then got a non speaking bit part in Mame but M A J O R and H U G E names in the business. Bob Cummings and Sid Caesar are perfect examples as they once were H U G E and then jobs got fewer for them and Lucy employed them, capice?

Joan had never done a play before and was very nervous about appearing in front of an audience. She had done variety guest shots and skits within those shows but never something like this. I have a recording of a telephone conversation between Joan and columnist Shirley Eder (recorded by Eder). Shirley is urging Joan to consider a play. Joan says she's never had to memorize a whole show because in movies she just had to learn whatever scene was to be show that day. This was the week before she was to guest on the Lucy Show, so she'll get her "feet wet with that and see how it goes".

Needless to say, Joan never did a play.

She bemoans that in the movies of today (1968) "they just don't write parts for women my age: FIFTY" (?!). Depending on the source Joan was anywhere between 60 and 64 at the time.

If you didn't know the infamous back story of Joan appearance on TLS, you wouldn't know there was all that trouble. Joan does fine and looks great: she could pass for 50. The "Lost Star" show is fine until they get to the "Speakeasy Days" show-within-show, "written by Lucille Carmichael".

Right again, loved the show but not that show within a show which stank but then, isn't it supposed to having been written by an amateur? I was one of those people who went to see Joan in those crappy movies like Berserk where she yielded an axe to kill someone, she was in the same league as Bette Davis back then and both were still working, albeit in crap, but still working nonetheless. I watched it recently and had not remembered that she wore a different hairstyle, she should have had her SIGNATURE Joan LOOK instead, but this made her look different and finally shedding her persona as she WAS trying something new. Ever see Mommie Dearest and they show her playing a twenty year old when Christina got sick and Joan subbed for her on a live soap opera and shook like a leaf in most shots. Joan was definitely made for the movies, not TV and certainly not LIVE TV either.

I'm sure Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen were thrilled to be asked to be on the highest rated show on TV. I don't think Buddy Rogers had worked in years (I'm sure he had a ton of money, though) and Richard Arlen was doing low budget western films.

Oh, forgot about them, thanks.

Phil Harris was mainly only doing Jack Benny specials and voiceover work (including Robin Hood, which Lucy Carter was dying to see) when he guest starred on Here's Lucy. The opening scene even refers to him as Phil Harris, the entertainer. I guess they were afraid people weren't going to know who he was.

Phil Harris was mainly only doing Jack Benny specials and voiceover work (including Robin Hood, which Lucy Carter was dying to see) when he guest starred on Here's Lucy. The opening scene even refers to him as Phil Harris, the entertainer. I guess they were afraid people weren't going to know who he was.

Sad, but true, i'm always amazed at the stars who did do these Lucy shows as they are forgotten today and find a new audience for their great talents.

Oy friggin vey, i am asking which MAJOR STARS Lucy helped out with jobs when jobs were scarce for them, like Joan Crawford or Buster Keaton, once superstars whose carreers were envigorated by appearances on her shows, not minor names, M A J O R and B I G names, for that time, not an obscure actress who worked with her at the start and then got a non speaking bit part in Mame but M A J O R and H U G E names in the business. Bob Cummings and Sid Caesar are perfect examples as they once were H U G E and then jobs got fewer for them and Lucy employed them, capice?

Actually, I 'capiced' from the beginning - just wanted to set the record straight - are you calling the shots on this thread who is and who is NOT a major star?; because, this is my opinion (hoping I have one)....

- back in those days, a Major Star might have been different from whom we consider a major star today. For instance, those you 'poo-poo' born in the late 1800's, who were adult and long-time 'stars' when Lucille was but woman barely out of her teens - SHE gave some of these folk jobs when SHE MADE IT BIG - I find it fascinating, and that's why I've included them in her chronology! Bear with me; since I won't change my mind.

I'm sure Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen were thrilled to be asked to be on the highest rated show on TV. I don't think Buddy Rogers had worked in years (I'm sure he had a ton of money, though) and Richard Arlen was doing low budget western films.

Richard Arlen, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’, Whirlybirds “Four Little Indians”, 1960, and Here’s Hollywood, 1961, is born this date in 1900.

Charles “Buddy” Rogers, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) co-star, Vance, dance hall girl, uncredited, Paramount Pictures', Take A Chance, 1933; Lucille Ball’s early-film career co-star, RKO Radio’s Old Man Rhythm, 1935, as well as with Desi Arnaz, uncredited and archivally, from Mocambo, Hedda Hopper's Hollywood #2; 1941; is born this date in 1904.

MAJOR STARS Lucy helped out with jobs when jobs were scarce for them, Buster Keaton, Bob Cummings

Robert Cummings, Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour “The Ricardos Go to Japan” 1959; Desilu Productions’ Here’s Hollywood, 1961; Desilu Studios-filmed, My Living Doll, 18 episodes, 1964-65; as well as (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy’s Punctured Romance” 1972 and “Lucy and Her Genuine Twimby” 1973, is born this date in 1908.

Buster Keaton, Lucille Ball long-time friend and mentor, coaching her personally, while both were under contract to MGM, teaching her the deftness of handling props, a huge part of her comedy; co-star, MGM, Easy to Wed, 1946; as well as guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1961; appears with Lucille, A Salute to Stan Laurel, 1965; guest, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, “You're Alright, Ivy”, 1964; with Lucille, Legends of Comedy, 1992; and American Masters': Finding Lucy, both via archival footage, 2000; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Monkhouse's Comedy Heroes, 2004, as well as Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business of America, “Slip on a Banana Peel: The Knockabouts”, 2009; is born this day in 1895.

Bette Davis

Bette Davis, Lucille Ball early-film career friend, the star pupil in Lucille’s 1920’s Dramatics School; co-star, with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), The Bride Came C.O.D., 1941; with Lucille, Show Business at War, 1943; nearly co-star of the Arnazes (“I Love Lucy”) “The Celebrity Next Door”, she fell and broke some bones, however, and had to cancel her already-agreed-to contract, 1957; guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 2 episodes, 1962; Hostess, Desilu Productions’, ABC's Wide World of Entertainment “Warner Bros. 50-year Salute”, 1973; appears with Lucille, The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda, 1978; Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops – 1941-1972, 1980; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, All-Star Party for Carol Burnett, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, all via archival footages, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; with Lucille, The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts – Bette Davis, Honoree, 1987; with Lucille, both by archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; with Lucille, both via archival footage, Entertaining the Troops, 1994; as well as with Lucille and Desi, all via archival footage, ABC 2000: The Millennium, 1999, is born this date in 1908.

Phil Harris

Phil Harris, long-time friend, Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Jack Benny Celebrates His 40th Birthday”, 1958; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy and Phil Harris”, 1968, appears with Lucille, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Jack Benny But Were Afraid to Ask,1971; (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up the Band”, 1974, as himself; is born this date in 1904.

Oh, why not, let's let 'the other shoe drop'....

Kathryn Card, veteran supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”), as Minnie Finch, “Fan Magazine Interview”, and Lucille Ball's TV mother, Mrs. McGillicuddy, “California, Here We Come”, “Ethel's Home Town”, “The Hedda Hopper Story”, “Don Juan is Shelved”, “Hollywood Anniversary”, “The Great Train Robbery”, and “In Palm Springs”, 1955; “Lucy Gets Homesick”, and “Bon Voyage”, 1956; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room For Daddy, “A Trip to Wisconsin”, 1955; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America “Bed of Roses”, 1956; and Desilu Productions', The Texan; Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer,“The Troubled Town”, 1958, “The Marshal of Yellow Jacket”, 1959, and U.S. Marshal “Maryjo is Missing”, 1959; The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show “The Ricardos Go To Japan”, 1959; is born this date in 1892.

Jack Carter, appears with Lucille Ball, Toast of the Town, 1961; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show “Jack Carter Helps Joey Propose”, 1964; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy Sues Mooney”, 1967; as well as appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Houdini, 1976, dated Paula Stewart, Lucille’s Wildcat co-star, and double-dated with Lucille and Gary Morton when they began dating, is born this date in 1923.

Stanley Farrar, supporting cast member (“I Love Lucy”) “Home Movies”, 1954, and “Staten Island Ferry”, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 2 episodes, 1958, 1959, The Andy Griffith Show, 4 episodes, 1961-65; guest, Desilu Productions', Angel “The Joint Bank Account”, 1961, The Untouchables “Doublecross”, and “Arsenal”, 1962; as well as the Lucille Ball Special, Mr. And Mrs., 1964, is born this date in 1910.

John Larch, guest, Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, premiere episode, “Exclusive Story”, 1957, The Texan “Law of the Gun”, 1958; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Yancy Derringer “Two Tickets to Promontory”, 1959; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “The Hard Road”, 1959; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables “Hammerstock”, 1961 and “Elegy”, 1962; Slattery's People “Question: Is Democracy Too Expensive This Year?” 1965; as well as Mission: Impossible “The Martyr”, 1970, and “The Puppet”, 1972, is born this date in 1914.

Jan Murray, guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1961, and You Don't Say, 1964; Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Soap Opera”, 1966; appears with Desi Arnaz, The Hollywood Squares, 1972, as well as appears with Lucille, Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976, is born this date in 1916.

Archived