Which old stars got jobs with Lucy?

Looked up Maxwell, whose real name is MARVEL Maxwell. You'd think she'd have gone with that. Marilyn was her middle name. She died in 1972 about a year and a half after "Harry's College Reunion" which was an early 3rd season show. Of a heart attack at 51 (some obits said 49--which may confuse the Life people when they do "Marilyn Maxwell at 100"). "Alcohol had spoiled her looks"---although I remember her looking pretty good in "College", but that may explain why her part was cut, if indeed it was, in the episode.

It's not one of my favorite shows-within-a show episode (though certainly not the WORST--that goes to Generation Gap), but at least Lucy does her own singing, one of the few times in the first 3 years she did. I didn't remember Marilyn was supposed to have been a 1928 graduate. Maybe they should have saved this script for Helen Hayes!

(By the way: listen to Lucy singing in "Yes, We Are Collegiant" done an octave lower than Kim.)

MM, who was MM before Monroe, did a TV movie and two TV series guest spots after Lucy, as well as many credits in the 60s, but these were probably minor roles. Her career hit a low in 1967 she performed as a stripper, at age 46, in a burlesque show in Queens.

She had everything: beauty, nice singing voice and acting talent. At least a flair for comedy. She held her own with Hope. But I don't think she ever starred in her own movie. Her obit said she suffered from high blood pressure, but a woman (of normal size) dying from a heart attack at age 51 is relatively rare.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And speaking of shows-within-a-show's: I actually can't think of any that I like in here's Lucy. If she didn't do her own singing, I didn't enjoy it. Would have made her Carol Burnett gym musical better. Ditto the Andrews Sisters act. "Making Whoopee" with Eddie Albert is enjoyable, I guess. In The Lucy Show, I liked the Ethel Merman show, but my hands-down favorite is the Arthur Godfrey Riverboat musical.

(also like Wingding, if you count that). I hate Speakeasy Days on so many levels, first and foremost, it's just not something Lucy Carmichael would write.

Looked up Maxwell, whose real name is MARVEL Maxwell. You'd think she'd have gone with that. Marilyn was her middle name. She died in 1972 about a year and a half after "Harry's College Reunion" which was an early 3rd season show. Of a heart attack at 51 (some obits said 49--which may confuse the Life people when they do "Marilyn Maxwell at 100"). "Alcohol had spoiled her looks"---although I remember her looking pretty good in "College", but that may explain why her part was cut, if indeed it was, in the episode.

It's not one of my favorite shows-within-a show episode (though certainly not the WORST--that goes to Generation Gap), but at least Lucy does her own singing, one of the few times in the first 3 years she did. I didn't remember Marilyn was supposed to have been a 1928 graduate. Maybe they should have saved this script for Helen Hayes!

(By the way: listen to Lucy singing in "Yes, We Are Collegiant" done an octave lower than Kim.)

MM, who was MM before Monroe, did a TV movie and two TV series guest spots after Lucy, as well as many credits in the 60s, but these were probably minor roles. Her career hit a low in 1967 she performed as a stripper, at age 46, in a burlesque show in Queens.

She had everything: beauty, nice singing voice and acting talent. At least a flair for comedy. She held her own with Hope. But I don't think she ever starred in her own movie. Her obit said she suffered from high blood pressure, but a woman (of normal size) dying from a heart attack at age 51 is relatively rare.

I always kind of confuse Marilyn Maxwell with Marie McDonald, had very similiar careers that ran parallel. Odd neither of them broke through much beyond the starlet stage as they did become fairly famous and worked with some big names. Interestingly, Frank Tashlin starred each of them opposite Jerry Lewis in 1958 pictures - and it was the first movie lead for each of them in some time. Both of them had a lot of good friends in the industry and that probably kept them famous longer than their smallish careers would have. I don't think either of them were ever first-billed and had the main part in anything but they each had a couple of major leading lady roles opposite the likes of Bob Hope and Gene Kelly.

Marilyn Maxwell is also of note for being Rock Hudson's BFF, Grace to his Will. She was a bit of a "beard" for him but had her own romantic life and when she married she and Rock remained close as ever. He was really devastated when she died.

Oh I just mentioned the Generation Gap episode on the Here's Lucy thread a few days ago, I didn't think it was ultra-terrible but it was very disappointing in regards to Lucy certainly, blatantly not singing for herself and no more essential in the skits than Gale, Lucie, or Desi.

I think Marilyn Maxwell looks good in her Here's Lucy appearance, but it's surprising that she was a full decade younger than Lucy. I don't think I knew about her stint in burlesque. I wonder why she didn't just do a Kenley Players production of Everybody Loves Opal or something. I hope she got paid a lot.

WOW.. thanks for telling me more!! Miss February huh??? AND she was the actress that LUCY becomes when she is fantasizing about being in the movie with James Mason.. wow... okay that is great to know.. I love finding out new stuff!!! I can see her in Forever Darling but have to watch DuBarry to remember what Miss February looks like... Kinda random and off topic.. but does anyone know in the MGM movie Ziegfield Girl.. when the song A Pretty Girl is being sung.. is that blonde at the bottom of the rung Lana Turner?? Sure looks like her.. also seems like the same blonde in the hat shop in the beginning of Easter Parade.. and I keep thinking it is an unbilled Lana Turner... surely someone on this board can set me straight.. thanks

Always loved MM; here's what I have 'learned':

Marilyn Maxwell, d. 3/20/72; actress, 53 titles; Lucille Ball friend and early radio co-star; with Lucille, DuBarry Was a Lady; Thousands Cheer, 1943; Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, scenes deleted, Ziegfeld Follies, 1946; Frawley co-star, Lemon Drop Kid, as 'Brainey' Baxter, 1951; appears with the Arnazes and many others, A Star Is Born World Premiere, 1954; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars “Burlesque”, “All-Star Line-up”, 1955; the Arnazes co-star, MGM’s, Forever Darling, uncredited, as Leading Lady in film within a film, 1956; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Hour, 10 episodes, 1956-61; star, pilot film, The Private Eyeful, for Desilu Playhouse, unsold, 1959; Lucille co-star, Critics’s Choice, as Ivy London, 1963; stars, as Lucille Ball, in a summer theater production of the play later made for The Lucille Ball Comedy Hour: “Mr. And Mrs.”; with Lucille and Bob Hope, 1964; Lucille guest, (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy and the Co-Ed”, 1970, as well as, with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, is born this date, 8/3, in 1921.

• 2 months later...

Archived