Eve Arden Sings!

I need to find a way to insert a very certain: "It's your BRAAA!" in an Eve-ish voice into a normal conversation one of these days.

When I'm called upon to do a celebrity impersonation (a rare occasion), I drag out this Eve Arden quote because I seemed to be able to capture her inflection with this phrase. I include "Hon-nest-'ly" with " it's your BRAAAA".  However, I have not attempted to work it into actual conversation, so good luck doing that without getting your face slapped.

I love the credits for "The Eve Arden Show" ----all that posing with no facial expression.

Mother Frances Bavier is only 5 years older than daughter "Liza".

My friend wrote lyrics to the Eve theme.  And yes, it was a friend.  These are so clever that if I did them , I'd take credit for them.  These go better with the closing credit music, I think.

"Though it's hard to conceive

there's an Arden named Eve

who would have us believe

she's an author now.

So she goes on lectures

hawking books

While she fends off

Allen Jossyn's looks

And pretends that she's not

Connie Brooks.....

(back to original melody)

Though the pilot's applause,

come from women in bras*

it's not really a cause

for us all to grieve

(ending music)

If you tilt your nose

then you all can pose....like.... EVE!"

*In the first episode, Eve is having stage fright before a ladies' luncheon lecture and takes the "imagine them in their underwear" advice to heart so there's a shot of her imagination of all those older ladies in the bras and foundation garments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=RS0JlM_gRNI

Is this the show that there are only three or four episodes in existence?

I bought a disc with only 4 episodes and haven't seen anything else for sale.  

"The Eve Arden Show" is not a laugh-fest and rests entirely on Eve's considerable charm.

I love the credits for "The Eve Arden Show" ----all that posing with no facial expression.

Mother Frances Bavier is only 5 years older than daughter "Liza".

My friend wrote lyrics to the Eve theme.  And yes, it was a friend.  These are so clever that if I did them , I'd take credit for them.  These go better with the closing credit music, I think.

"Though it's hard to conceive

there's an Arden named Eve

who would have us believe

she's an author now.

So she goes on lectures

hawking books

While she fends off

Allen Jossyn's looks

And pretends that she's not

Connie Brooks.....

(back to original melody)

Though the pilot's applause,

come from women in bras*

it's not really a cause

for us all to grieve

(ending music)

If you tilt your nose

then you all can pose....like.... EVE!"

*In the first episode, Eve is having stage fright before a ladies' luncheon lecture and takes the "imagine them in their underwear" advice to heart so there's a shot of her imagination of all those older ladies in the bras and foundation garments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=RS0JlM_gRNI

Writer & director credits are "Hazel" (Shirley Booth) vets! :blink:

• 2 months later...

Considering how snotty some of them are getting, Josephina is just like one of the family.

On "Mothers In Law", Josephina should have played "Maternity ward intake nurse #2" and she, along with intake nurse #1 (our own Vanda Barrra) could have mugged "That figures" slightly out of camera range. 

Happy Oscar day from the West family!

Josefina should have booked guest role on The Mothers-in-Law.

I LOVE these long-lost gems! Josefina ranks right up there with Jeff whathisgayface's maid Zoila -- and there is a resemblance! You don't suppose Zoila's mom could have been....nah, too coincidental! :blink:

Give this woman her own spot on "The Dickie Davis Show"!

Evidently Shake and Bake was so popular, they came out with "Roast and Boast".  The third such product was rejected: "Fried and Hide". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNkDtM4vnAU

Another gem! Too bad they couldn't have loaned these "typical American housewives" a comb or brush to run through their hair before they filmed them! Eesh! Most of 'em looked like they'd just rolled out of bed!! :blink:

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else aware that Eve did a 1975 TV pilot called "Harry and Maggie" with Don Knotts? 

The IMDb synopsis: Harry Kellogg, a widower, lives in a small town and does his best to raise his teen-aged daughter. His sister-in-law, who believes him to be hopelessly incompetent, barges into his house to make sure the girl is raised properly and Harry desperately tries scheme after scheme to get the New York City socialite to return to the Big Apple without success.

Tom Poston is also in the cast. Has anyone ever seen this? It aired as a CBS Friday Comedy Special but has otherwise gone into hiding, presumably now owned by the Turner corporation. Judging from the comedic styles of the two leads alone, this could have been hilarious.

Is anyone else aware that Eve did a 1975 TV pilot called "Harry and Maggie" with Don Knotts? 

The IMDb synopsis: Harry Kellogg, a widower, lives in a small town and does his best to raise his teen-aged daughter. His sister-in-law, who believes him to be hopelessly incompetent, barges into his house to make sure the girl is raised properly and Harry desperately tries scheme after scheme to get the New York City socialite to return to the Big Apple without success.

Tom Poston is also in the cast. Has anyone ever seen this? It aired as a CBS Friday Comedy Special but has otherwise gone into hiding, presumably now owned by the Turner corporation. Judging from the comedic styles of the two leads alone, this could have been hilarious.

No but it's potential sounds WUNDAFUL! Wonder what went wrong?? With this cast the possibilities seem endless! :peachonthebeach:

I'd LOVE to see this thing as it had quite the "pedigree": not only was the cast a sitcom fan's dream, but the production side was no less impressive: writers Arnold Margolin and partner Jim Parker were well-established from "He & She", " Andy Griffith", "That Girl" etc. along with Joseph Goodson ("I Dream of Jeannie" producer) and was directed by sitcom vet and "I Love Lucy"-affiliated Jay Sandrich ("The Mary Tyler Moore Show"; "Soap"; "Cosby Show" etc. etc.)  Lucille Benson was in it too!! :blink:

I did a little "googling" and came up with these few promo shots:

s-l1000.jpg

s-l225.jpgs-l225.jpg

I saw it!  It wasn't very good.  Then again, other than the MTM shows, I wasn't liking much on TV then.  For all the praise heaped upon Norman Lear, other than "All in the Family", I found his shows loud and obnoxious. 

H&M was done in front of an audience.  Don was conservative.  Eve was the sophisticate.  Unfortunately there was really no chemistry between the two actors and the script didn't give them much to work with. 

The main plot of the pilot was how they clashed about how Don's rather mousy teenage daughter should be raised.  

The show gets serious at the end when Eve has a long speech about how she shouldn't butt in, after which Don notices Eve is wearing the same blouse she wore on her date the previous night----only it is now inside out....."Really?" giggles Eve as she walks out.....implying??---FADE OUT.  

Don had one funny moment when he's worked up and yells"everyone into the living room" and does a hand gesture and angry walk that was pure Barney Fife. 

Couldn't they have come up with a more imaginative title?  I remember the first few bars of the theme song, sung with lyrics "Harry and Maggie.......Maggie and Harry......." (that's al I remember). 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived