Lucy A - Z -- I!

Since 'I's' are TOUGH, let's honor someone with two 'I's' still on this side of the grass:

Shirley Mitchell

b.11/4/19 alive

Shirley Mitchell, veteran supporting cast member (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress”, and “Lucy Tells the Truth”, 1953, “Lucy's Club Dance”, as Marion Strong, 1954; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys “Luke Gets His Freedom”, 1957, Make Room For Daddy, 3 episodes, 1954-62, The Joey Bishop Show “A Woman's Place”, 1962, Desilu Productions', Vacation Playhouse “All About Barbara”, 1963, E! True Hollywood Story, as herself, The Desilu Story, 2003, and (“I Love Lucy”), 2005; with Lucille, via archival footage, among many other stars, You Know the Face, 2009; as well as attends, with Lucie Arnaz Luckinbill and husband, Laurence Luckinbill, among many others, Hollywood Museum/CBS Celebrate Lucille Ball at 100/(“I Love Lucy”) at 60 Exhibit, 8/4/11, is born this date in 1919.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irene Ryan b. 10/17/02 d. 04/26/73

Irene Ryan, Granny, of Beverly Hillbillies fame, 274 episodes, 1962-1971; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Texas, Brooklyn & Heaven, as Opal Cheever, 1948; with Frawley, My Three Sons “The Romance of Silver Pines”, as Rusty Wallace, 1962; as well as with Lucille Ball, CBS: The Stars' Address 1963; is born this date in 1902.

:peachonthebeach:Imogene Coca b. 11/18/08 d. 6/2/01

Imogene Coca, Sid Caesar's partner and co-star, Your Show of Shows, 1950-54; the Arnazes friend, on billing in 1950, when Lucy and Desi were on their vaudeville “tour” promoting plans for future (“I Love Lucy”); appears with Lucille, NBC's The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979; with Lucille, Bob Hope Special, Woman I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982; with Lucille, The 38th Annual Prime Time Emmy Awards, 1986, as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), each archivally, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, is born this date in 1908.

In honor of HIS birthday:

Dominic Frontiere

b. 06/17/31 alive

Dominic Frontiere, Emmy-Award winning music composer/director, with Lucille Ball, among many others, Swing Out, Sweet Land, 1971; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Who Is The Black Dahlia?, 1975; is born this date in 1931.

On the occasion of HIS birthday:

Ross Elliott b. 6/18/17 d. 08/12/99

Ross Elliott, actor, 242 films, veteran Lucy and Desilu guest, (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Does a TV Commercial” 1952; “Don Juan and the Starlets”, “Bullfight Dance”, and “Hollywood Anniversary”, as himself, 1955; Desilu Productions’, Wire Service “The Johnny Roth Story”, and Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie “Trapline”, “Nathchez Trace”, 1956; Official Detective “The Wristwatch”, 1957; Cavalcade of America “Crazy Judah” and “A Man’s Home” 1954, “The Jackie Jensen Story” 1956, and “Shark of the Mountain” 1957; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse “The Night the Phone Rang” 1958; Desilu Studios'-filmed, the Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp “Arizona Comes to Dodge”, “Dodge City: Hail and Farewell”, 1959; Desilu Productions’, The Texan “The Lord Will Provide” 1958; The Ann Sothern Show “Doubting Devery” 1960; The Untouchables “Testimony of Evil” 1961; Angel “The Trailer” 1961; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Return of the Iron Man” 1965; and (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy, the Sheriff”, 1974, is born this date in 1917.

In a pinch, for i's, that is:

Olivia de Havilland,

b. 07/01/16 alive

Olivia de Havilland, Oscar Award-winning actress, 59 films; sister to Joan Fontaine; William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), co-star, Alibi Ike, as Dolly Stevens, 1935; appears with Lucille Ball, Show Business at War, 1943; Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; uncredited, with the Arnazes, archivally, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; as well as with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, is born this date in 1916.

On the occasion of HIS birthday:

Alec Hirschfeld b. 06/21/03 d. 01/20/03

Alec Hirschfeld, Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist, best-known for simple black and white satirical portraits of celebrities and Broadway stars, having done many famous drawings of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, as well as drawings of her family and co-stars, from 1943 and continuing until 1998, many not having been accounted for, is born this date in 1903.

Billy Wilder

b. 06/22/06 d. 03/27/02

Billy Wilder,

Writer, Producer, Director; as Guest of Honor, appears with Lucille Ball, AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute to Billy Wilder; 1986; as well as with Lucille, archivally, Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood, 2010, is born this date in 1906.

Isabel Sanford b. 8/29/17 d. 7/9/04

Isabel Sanford, a Broadway actress for over thirty years before moving to Hollywood; actress, 55 films; co-star, All in the Family, as Louise Jefferson, 26 episodes, 1971-79; as Weezy, of The Jeffersons' fame, 253 episodes, 1975-85; appears with Lucille Ball, co-hostess, Part II, CBS': On the Air, as co-hostess, Part VII, 1978; with Lucille, The Thirty-Third Annual Emmy Awards, receives the Emmy as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, and a Presenter, 1981; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Lucille, Bob Hope’s Hilarious Unrehearsed Antics of the Stars, 1984; appearing as the Headliner at Lucille Ball Birthday Celebration, 2000, Jamestown, NY; with Lucie Arnaz, CBS at 75, 2003; as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), TV's Greatest Sidekicks, each archivally, 2004; is born this date in 1917.

Peter Lind Hayes b. 6/25/15 d. 4/21/98

Peter Lind Hayes, popular radio and television star, along with wife, Mary Healy, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ friend(s) of many years; Lucille's co-star, Seven Days' Leave, as Pvt. Pete Jackson, 1942; guest, Desilu Productions', The Danny Thomas Show “Lose Me in Las Vegas” 1957; as well as guest, with wife, Mary Healy, Shower of Stars “Ethel Merman's Show Stoppers” 1955, is born this date in 1915.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sidney Skolsky: “Watching Them Make Pictures – George Abbott will produce-direct Too Many Girls, a departure from his usual stage-work-only routine. He has two men, one of whom is Desi Arnaz, from his Broadway production, strictly the Spanish type; arrived with the reputation of being a ladies’ man; a great conga dancer, which is supposed to be something. While on the set, he was introduced to Ginger Rogers as he wanted ‘to meet a real movie star,’” published this date in 1940.

Archived