DORIS SINGLETON 1919-2012

Brock

:( R.I.P. Doris. My favorite Doris Singleton "Lucy" Appearance is the Harpo Marx episode of I Love Lucy!

Doris appeared on Here's Lucy a few times, but was she ever on The Lucy Show?

Pretty sure I remember seeing her on The Lucy Show, but I just can't think of specific episodes right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's sad news but one has to consider Doris had exceptionally long life, had a phenomenonally long marriage, and looked absolutely fabulous until the end and was apparently in good health as well into her nineties, clearly a very blessed woman.

And kudos to THE LUCY LOUNGE site managers for not only the lovely collage of Doris throughout her career but the acknowledgement of Don Grady (who had only slight ties to Lucy) on the header as well. You guys are a class act!! I'm sure our Lucy would share tears of gratitude and pride over this site :ill: Tom

Well said! Thank you for your words.

I'm not recalling the episode that happens in?

That is a moment from "Lucy Gives Eddie Albert the Old Song and Dance." Doris, playing Eddie's secretary, comes running into the room to tell Eddie that his stalker is at the door. During a Lucy Lounge party in Jamestown in 2005, news broke that Eddie Albert died. We watched that episode in memory of Eddie and the room erupted in laughter at Doris' unusual run. :marionstrong:

That is a moment from "Lucy Gives Eddie Albert the Old Song and Dance." Doris, playing Eddie's secretary, comes running into the room to tell Eddie that his stalker is at the door. During a Lucy Lounge party in Jamestown in 2005, news broke that Eddie Albert died. We watched that episode in memory of Eddie and the room erupted in laughter at Doris' unusual run. :marionstrong:

Ah, perfect. I need the remaining DVDs for Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, then my episode knowledge will be complete!

Doris appeared in "Lucy and Art Linkletter" and "Lucy Gets Her Diploma." Her role in the latter episode is cut in the syndication version, though.

I saw "Diploma" on Doris's imdb credits but didn't remember seeing her so this explains it. Like Kathryn Card, Doris made such an impression on us that before we had daily showings, DVDs and episodes guides of ILL, we assumed she was in more than she was. (imdb lists 10). Unlike ANY other occasion player, she more than held her own with Lucy: a rival that was an equal, in social standing and BEAUTY who had her own punch line delivery and expert timing ("He OUTGREW that, didn't he?"). Doris Singleton was not intimidated by Lucille Ball, a fact that the latter would certainly have recognized and appreciated. Very few actresses could share the screen with Lucy as an equal. I don't know if it was because she was in demand elsewhere or that she was more expensive than dime-a-dozen players (LouAnn Hall), but I wish she had been used more because she was worth every penny (Her imdb credit lists "Matchmaker". Though there are two: Sam/Dorothy and Eve Whitney, I don't remember her in either).

This same character would have been a welcome addition to The Lucy Show in Danfield:that equally crafty nemisis---a role filled in brief spurts by Audrey Simmons (especially evident in "Softball"). But I've always thought Doris would have been perfect for the California episodes, another woman who lived in the building that Lucy could spar with: dueling plans, going after same man, etc.

Given the comfortable, but all too familiar rut that the Here's Lucy office scenes settled into, it's hard to imagine what they were planning to do with Doris. Doris told the story that the only explanation she got was that 'they decided to go a different direction--with the kids"---which makes little sense: couldn't they have done both??

Carolyn Appleby added zest and class to every episode she was in. For her individual contribution to (and not just the fact that she was associated with) I Love Lucy, we remember her fondly.

A couple of friends and I are getting together tonight to have an "Apple-thon" in her honor.

:lucywow: Amazing! What a great tribute to Doris.

Thanks, a lot! Im so sorry to hear of her loss- and Im praying for you, and Lucie , Rick, and Tom, and Laura, Jonathan, Suzanne, ALL of you who shared many more Memories together, and so many others who she shared great times with @ events

You all have my sympathy. Im also sorry I made that banner too big- I thought it was smaller than that- heres the smaller version to fit into the column correctly., sorry about that-

I loved Doris though- what a kind dear heart.

IVE NEVA HEARD ANY ONE SAY "Now You be Good LTTLEBOYSSH " like her lol

Her passing seemed so shocking because she looked like great, and seemed to kick ages butt :)

I admire how she , and even Lucy, after many many years stay so young and active, looking back. Many of the things they did

like dancing and playing around they did in their late 30's and 40's! today we're too fat to even do a high kick on tv unless its on glee.

Any way, what a gem! love ya Carolyn Applebee :)

206111_261713977267913_573928375_n.jpg

I saw "Diploma" on Doris's imdb credits but didn't remember seeing her so this explains it. Like Kathryn Card, Doris made such an impression on us that before we had daily showings, DVDs and episodes guides of ILL, we assumed she was in more than she was. (imdb lists 10). Unlike ANY other occasion player, she more than held her own with Lucy: a rival that was an equal, in social standing and BEAUTY who had her own punch line delivery and expert timing ("He OUTGREW that, didn't he?"). Doris Singleton was not intimidated by Lucille Ball, a fact that the latter would certainly have recognized and appreciated. Very few actresses could share the screen with Lucy as an equal. I don't know if it was because she was in demand elsewhere or that she was more expensive than dime-a-dozen players (LouAnn Hall), but I wish she had been used more because she was worth every penny (Her imdb credit lists "Matchmaker". Though there are two: Sam/Dorothy and Eve Whitney, I don't remember her in either).

This same character would have been a welcome addition to The Lucy Show in Danfield:that equally crafty nemisis---a role filled in brief spurts by Audrey Simmons (especially evident in "Softball"). But I've always thought Doris would have been perfect for the California episodes, another woman who lived in the building that Lucy could spar with: dueling plans, going after same man, etc.

Given the comfortable, but all too familiar rut that the Here's Lucy office scenes settled into, it's hard to imagine what they were planning to do with Doris. Doris told the story that the only explanation she got was that 'they decided to go a different direction--with the kids"---which makes little sense: couldn't they have done both??

Carolyn Appleby added zest and class to every episode she was in. For her individual contribution to (and not just the fact that she was associated with) I Love Lucy, we remember her fondly.

A couple of friends and I are getting together tonight to have an "Apple-thon" in her honor.

How brilliant is this!?!? Thank you so much for writing this.

Very few actresses could share the screen with Lucy as an equal. I don't know if it was because she was in demand elsewhere or that she was more expensive than dime-a-dozen players (LouAnn Hall), but I wish she had been used more because she was worth every penny (Her imdb credit lists "Matchmaker". Though there are two: Sam/Dorothy and Eve Whitney, I don't remember her in either).

Doris says that she indeed was paid more than the usual rate. She said that the writers told her they had written her into episodes, but they ended up hiring someone cheaper. Even before I heard that, I figured the part of the Halls in "Charm School" was supposed to be the Applebys. Bill Hall's conversation about television sounds like it should have been said by TV station manager Charlie Appleby. Recently, there was an original script for the episode on eBay and it confirmed by thoughts. Caroline and Charlie Appleby were listed in the cast and not Lou Ann and Bill Hall.

Doris is indeed in "Lucy is Matchmaker," which is the second season episode with Lucy setting Hal March's Eddie Grant character up with Sylvia Collins. Doris is in the opening scene where the girls are playing cards and discussing Sylvia Collins.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1341009790' post='39812]

One other thing wasn't she just beautiful throughout her life? A real beauty!

I saw a lot of her natural qualities in the celebrated image we see in Marilyn Monroe. She was gorgeous in her own way, you're right! what a beauty!!

I saw a lot of her natural qualities in the celebrated image we see in Marilyn Monroe. She was gorgeous in her own way, you're right! what a beauty!!

I see what you see. I was always surprised she wasn't more famous than she was with her beauty and talent.

She did alright. :D

Now coincidence or not I don't know, but Hallmark is airing four ILLs in a row on Monday, July 2, three of which feature the late great Miss Singleton. :)

They are:

6 AM: Lucy & Ethel Buy the Same Dress

7 AM: Baby Pictures

7:30 AM: Lucy Tells the Truth

Check your local listings as they say! lucyhaha.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just visited the Hollywood Collector's Show site (the several times a year event where one can meet celebrities and get their autographs) and saw they had two autographed 8x10's of Doris on ILL also picturing Lucy for sale at $45.00 each in case any one is interested in them: http://hollywoodshow.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=doris+singleton (they often sell photos on the website that were signed by the stars at one of the events, not sure if these are their only copies of these signed photos or if they have several of each, apparently they sold out of a third pose). I'm guessing these were somewhat cheaper before Doris' death but still, if you never got her autograph this is a chance to get it on a ILL photo.

Archived