Jamestown bridge renamed in Lucy and Desi's honour

Brock

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok..Maybe not arguing. Never mind. Sorry. just thought that some of the comments could have had a bit of a sharp edge to them.(Mine as well...I'm sorry.) We all get a little sassy when we get talking about our Lucy! Sorry if I upset anyone with my stuff..I get all huffy about something then feel like crap if I hurt someone after I said it. :S It's who I am. :D

Anyway! On with the show..can't wait to see the LucyDesi bridge!

Ok..Maybe not arguing. Never mind. Sorry. just thought that some of the comments could have had a bit of a sharp edge to them.(Mine as well...I'm sorry.) We all get a little sassy when we get talking about our Lucy! Sorry if I upset anyone with my stuff..I get all huffy about something then feel like crap if I hurt someone after I said it. :S It's who I am. :D

Anyway! On with the show..can't wait to see the LucyDesi bridge!

This is like skipping through Candyland compared to our past discussions on this subject. :marionstrong:

This is like skipping through Candyland compared to our past discussions on this subject. :marionstrong:

LOL!

I personally wouldn't mind something in Jamestown named after Viv and another after Bill. The way I see it, they (along with Desi) are a huge part of her legacy and I think acknowledging that could add some extra whimsy to Jamestown. And truly, how many things in such a small town can be named after one person before it becomes tedious?

I'm not taking any side here, but Desi was named an honorary son of Jamestown in 1956.

Thanks, Harry; and native-born-me says: WITHOUT DESI, THERE WOULD BE NO OFFSPRING WHO CHOSE TO ASSIST BUILDING THE DESI ARNAZ BANDSHELL; AND NO ("I LOVE LUCY")....period.

He was most gracious while in Jamestown in 1956; and we adopted him, as part of 'our girl', Lucille!

I understand he was driven out of the 'nest' that was Lucille's due to his 'after-hours activities'; but, his children love him; that's enough for me.

Besides, who really knows HOW he was driven away; none of us knows; so, let's leave OFF BASHING DESI!!!! Please!

I wasn't bashing Desi. I just think it's silly to name things after a person when it's your wife's hometown and you were there only once in your lifetime. Let's be honest, Lucy did a lot of things without Desi before ILL and she did a lot of things without Desi afterwards. I love Desi, too, I just love Lucy more.

And why a bridge of all things?? You got the bandshell and the Center with his name on it, why plaster their names on a bridge?

But that's just me. Once again, I'm in the minority. I'm done with this topic. <_<

Doesn't the "LBDAMB" acronym sound like what you'd be saying if you took the bridge and were stuck in traffic? (Has someone else already pointed this out?)

OMG! cease and desist! lets quit the arguing!

(Re: OMG!) PLEASE! Let's not bring RELIGION into this!

(Re: Cease and desist!) I may cease but I'll never desist!

(Re: ....let's quit arguing!) To use an analogous line uttered by Ethel (and considering the couple: a bit odd) "We're not arguing. That's the way we make love!"

And I can only assume that in the 50s, the term "making love" encompassed a whole lot more than it does now, because with the buttons on Fred's union suit/pj's firmly attached to the bedframe facing away from Ethel......well, I won't go into THAT any further.

I wasn't bashing Desi. I just think it's silly to name things after a person when it's your wife's hometown and you were there only once in your lifetime. Let's be honest, Lucy did a lot of things without Desi before ILL and she did a lot of things without Desi afterwards. I love Desi, too, I just love Lucy more.

And why a bridge of all things?? You got the bandshell and the Center with his name on it, why plaster their names on a bridge?

But that's just me. Once again, I'm in the minority. I'm done with this topic. <_<

This is my take: Lucy was a B-movie star before and during (approx) the first ten years with Desi. Some of her movies were grand, but a lot are throwaways or her roles are so small one could hardly call it "a Lucille Ball picture." I Love Lucy would never have happened without Desi, nor would the shows have been preserved, produced, filmed, etc as they were without his ingenuity. I won't even begin to touch their wild on screen chemistry or my feelings on I Love Lucy VS TLS or HL. I realize you know all this, but what I'm saying is, without I Love Lucy, Lucy herself would probably not be well remembered these days. And thus, without Desi, there would be no Lucy legacy for us to worship. And sure, Lucy did go on in her post-Desi life to have a great career with wild fame, but look at how many principles or elements she used professionally from "the Desi years" in her later years. They learned so much from one another, and to the average person, they are thought of as a team. I believe that is why his name is honored in Jamestown, and should be.

People won't recognize him alone, so they must along with Lucy. Lucy has also said her career changed for the better after she added Arnaz to her name. Plus, we all know she is pretty much only recognized for ILL. I think she'd be happy that both her and Desi's achievements are being recognized together because he is not remembered in Cuba fondly. This is like saying Lucy shouldn't be recognized at Universal in Florida because she wasn't born there. I'm just glad Desi is getting the remembrance he deserves somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty cool, I think! Is this a common practice "down under"? lucyhaha.JPG

According to Google Maps, other streets in this neighbourhood include:

James Cagney Close

Errol Flynn Court

Peter Sellers Court

Buddy Holly Close

Marilyn Monroe Court

There is also a Drysdale Lane and the neighbourhood collector road is Greenacre Drive. The city planner must also be a fan of the Paul Henning universe.

According to Google Maps, other streets in this neighbourhood include:

James Cagney Close

Errol Flynn Court

Peter Sellers Court

Buddy Holly Close

Marilyn Monroe Court

There is also a Drysdale Lane and the neighbourhood collector road is Greenacre Drive. The city planner must also be a fan of the Paul Henning universe.

Ah, I see. It's like a Hollywood icons theme or something. Yes, that is pretty neat.

Archived