Lucy A - Z -- J!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James A. Paisley, no bio see epis

James A. Paisley, brought on board, just prior to launching of Season Two, as Assistant Director, ('I Love Lucy'), "Job Switching", 9/15/52, after Marc Daniels left, according to Dann Cahn: 'was a plus; since his distinctive laugh, along with Lucille's mother, DeDe's, added much to the 'laugh track' used on many episodes'; and used frequently on many other shows for years afterward. When Herb Browar left Desilu, James took over many of his duties, in early 1952. Paisley researched, through LA City Hall the birth of twins, ultimately hiring Richard Lee and Ronald Lee Simmons (b. 9/7/52) as the infant, Little Ricky; and, during the spring of 1953, was promoted by Desi, as Assistant Production Manager, with Jerry Thorpe replacing him, as Assistant Director. Paisley served as Assistant Director, Production Manager, and Production Supervisor on many Desilu Studios'-filmed, Desilu Productions' series, including: The Danny Thomas Show, The Red Skelton Hour, Sheriff of Cochise, Cavalcade of America, The Lineup, Yancy Derringer, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, U.S. Marshal, Whirlybirds, The Texan, The Scarface Mob, December Bride, The Betty Hutton Show, My Three Sons, The Ann Sothern and Barbara Stanwyck Shows, Harrigan and Son, Angel, Vacation Playhouse, The Untouchables, The Lucy Show, and Mission: Impossible (pilot), from his hiring: 1952-66.

Jerry Thorpe, MGM veteran; director, ("I Love Lucy"), Season 7, 8, 9 - 1957-1960; when Desi Arnaz implemented personnel changes, he hired Jerry to replace James Paisley, who had been promoted. Jerry, on summer hiatus from his job on Our Miss Brooks, had been Vincente Minnelli's assistant on the Arnaz' film, The Long, Long Trailer, where Desi became aware of Jerry's dedication to detail. Jerry insisted his assistant, Jack Aldworth, be hired, as well; Desi agreed. Thorpe's first assignment, in 1953, was to hire the set of twins, Michael Leo and Joseph David Mayer, as infant, Little Ricky. Jerry was producer of Arnaz' film, Forever, Darling, as well as many other Desilu productions.

Jerry is reportedly still alive.

On the occasion of his death:

Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr. b. 03/21/67 d. 07/22/32

Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr. b. 3/21, Lucille Ball early film career mentor and friend, an American Broadway impressario, Lucille having appeared in an all star semi-biographical film, also co-starring William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), among many others, Ziegfeld Follies, 1946, dies this date in 1932.

Jay Livingston b. 03/28/15 d. 10/17/01

Jay Livingston, nominated - 1958 Tony Award; inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, 1977; Academy-Award-winning partnership with Ray Evans, western NY native and major supporter, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, Jamestown NY, composer of many songs for the movies; i.e. “To Each His Own” 1946; “Buttons and Bows” 1948, “Mona Lisa” 1950, “Que Sera Sera” 1956; wrote lyrics for Lucille Ball/Bob Hope film, Sorrowful Jones, 1949, “Havin’ a Wonderful Wish (Time You Were Here)”, and Fancy Pants “(Hey) Fancy Pants!”, “Home Cookin”, 1950; composer, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz)/Bob Hope film, The Lemon Drop Kid, “It Doesn't Cost A Dime to Dream”, “They Obviously Want Me to Sing”, and “Silver Bells”, 1951; “Tammy and the Bachelor”, 1957; and, the partners collaborated on several TV themes for such as Bonanza, 1959, and Mister Ed, 1961; composer, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Jack Benny Program “Ghost Town Western Sketch”, 1962, is born this date in 1915.

In honor of his birthday:

Jerry Paris, b. 7/25/25 d. 3/31/86

Jerry Paris, Actor, 102 films; Director, Happy Days' fame, 238 episodes, 1974-84; 4-time nominee, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, winner, Primetime Emmy, 1964; director, 84 episodes, 1963-66; actor, 38 episodes, 1961-66; actor/guest, Desilu Productions', Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer, Those Whiting Girls, as Artie, 13 episodes, 1955-1957; The Untouchables, 16 episodes, as Agent Martin Flaherty, 1959-1960; director Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bill Dana Show, 6 episodes, 1963-65; director/actor, That Girl, 2 episodes, 1966; as well as Lucille Ball guest director, (“Here’s Lucy”) “Lucy Meets the Burtons”, 1970, is born this date in 1925. is born this date in 1925.

On the occasion of HIS birth:

John Bleifer, b. 07/26/01 d. 01/24/92

John Bleifer, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, The Bowery and Blood Money, 1933; guest, (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Gets a Paris Gown”, 1956; as well as guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie “Natchez Trace”, 1956, is born this date in 1901.

On the occasion of HIS birthday:

Jerry Van Dykeb. 07/27/31 alive

Jerry Van Dyke, of Coach fame, as Assistant Coach Luther Horatio Van Dam, 199 episodes, 1989-1997; brother, Dick Van Dyke; guest, Desilu Productions', The Dick Van Dyke Show, 2 episodes, 1962; with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille Ball, archivally, Bob Hope: The First 90 Years, 1993; as well as attends with Lucie and husband, Laurence Luckinbill, among many others, Hollywood Museum/CBS Celebrate Lucille Ball at 100/(“I Love Lucy”) at 60 Exhibit, 8/4/11, is born this date in 1931.

On the ocassion of HIS birthday:

Joe E. Brown b. 07/28/92 d. 07/06/73

Joe E. Brown, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) co-star, Alibi Ike, 1935, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Meet the Stars #6: Stars at Play, and with Desi, uncredited and archivally, Hedda Hopper's Hollywood No. 2, 1941; with Lucille, Show Business at War, 1943; with Frawley, The Ed Wynn Show, 1950; guest, Desilu Productions', Shower of Stars, “Bombshells”, 1956, The Ann Sothern Show “Olive's Dream Man”, 1960; and The Greatest Show on Earth “You're All Right, Ivy”, 1964; appears with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963; with Lucille, Showbiz Goes to War, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, Hollywood Out-takes and Rare Footage, 1983; with Lucille, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, is born this date in 1892.

Someone NO ONE can forget:

Johnny Roventini b. 8/15/10 d. 11/30/98

Johnny Roventini, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ friend, possibly best remembered as the (“I Love Lucy”) Philip Morris' related-work, as Bell-boy. ('I Love Lucy') ran into difficulties when it first sought sponsorship in 1951, early days of commercial broadcast television in the US, due to the Cuban character played by Desi Arnaz, advertisers fearful of public acceptance of the show featuring a marriage of mixed ethnicity. After failing to win financial backing from CBS' executives, Arnaz traveled to NY and struck a deal with advertising mogul, Milton Biow, who bought the show for his client, Philip Morris cigarettes. The tobacco company sponsored ('I Love Lucy') exclusively from premiere, October 15, 1951, through Christmas of 1954, then shifting to an 'alternate' with Proctor-Gamble, until June 1955. Philip Morris made a rich return for its investment and risk-taking in backing ('I Love Lucy'). Johnny's voice and face, and Philip Morris, gained unprecedented national television prominence. Johnny was often heard and seen, respectively, Monday evenings on CBS' television. Johnny also did a number of commercial spots with stars of the hit show, Lucille and Desi, who were expected to promote products sponsoring their show. Industry watchers reported that Lucille, Desi and Johnny soon become fast friends while working together. Johnny traveled from home in NY to be with her at Desilu Studios, in LA; a gesture of support from both Roventini and sponsor, Philip Morris, which she never forgot. Roventini made personal appearances for Philip Morris until he retired in 1974; is born this date in 1910.

Archived