UPDATED: "I Love Lucy" named Best TV Show of All Time!

HarryCarter

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barbara just had a preview of the show tonight on The View. They showed part of the segment on ILL. Besides clips of the show (real ILL clips, not public domain footage)they had a little of the Desi Jr & Lucie interview on the set and also showed 2 clips of the infamous Barbara interview of Lucy in the 70's.

Official press release:

September 6, 2012

ABC NEWS AND PEOPLE MAGAZINE PRESENT:

“BEST IN TV: THE GREATEST TV SHOWS OF OUR TIME WITH BY BARBARA WALTERS,”

A SPECIAL EDITION OF “20/20”

Television Fans Submit More Than a Million Votes in an Unprecedented Online Ballot

Two-Hour Broadcast to Air Tuesday, September 18

What are the greatest television shows of all time? Who are our favorite TV mom and dad? Who is our favorite television host of all time? It’s America’s turn to decide, as a collaboration between ABC News and PEOPLE Magazine gave TV fans the opportunity to vote online at www.bestintelevision.com for their favorites of all time. With more than one million votes cast, the results will be revealed during an unprecedented two-hour broadcast, a special edition of “20/20”, “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” airing TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on ABC, in conjunction with ABC’s broadcast of the Emmy Awards.

The program will include fresh interviews with stars, directors and producers including Desi Arnaz Jr. and Lucie Arnaz, Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Tina Fey, Mariska Hargitay, Florence Henderson, Christina Hendricks, Ron Howard, Warren Littlefield, Lorne Michaels, Muppets Kermit and Miss Piggy, Phylicia Rashad, Rob Reiner, Ryan Seacrest, Keith Thibodeaux -- aka Little Ricky -- from “I Love Lucy,” Betty White and Dick Wolf.

The special will also include classic clips from America’s favorite shows, as well as out-takes, screen tests and rare behind-the-scenes footage. In additiona, a panel of pop culture and television experts, including several editors and writers from PEOPLE, will weigh in with their thoughts and memories.

Categories:

Best TV Comedy

Best TV Drama

Best Legal or Cop Show

Favorite TV Mom

Favorite TV Dad

Favorite Reality Show

Best Talk Show Host

Best Non-Human Character

Favorite TV Variety Show

Best TV Show of All Time

PEOPLE will announce the winners in the Favorite Reality Show and Most Memorable TV Moments categories in the issue, which hits newsstand on September 14. Winners in the Best TV Game Show, Favorite Soap Opera/Daytime Drama, Best Animated Show and Favorite TV Theme Song categories will be revealed online at www.bestintelevision.com in conjunction with the “Best in TV” airdate. While on the “Best in TV” site, television fans also have the opportunity to view clips, slide shows and interviews.

Online Voting: Several dozen Emmy Award winning actors, directors and producers, along with several TV journalists, selected the nominees in each category by choosing their favorites from a list of hundreds of shows old and new. The “all star” panel included luminaries like actors Tim Allen, Valerie Harper and Jimmy Smits, and producers/directors/creators Stephen Bochco, Mark Burnett, Norman Lear, Warren Littlefield, Chuck Lorre and Shonda Rhimes, among many others.

John Green is the executive producer of “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” which is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format with stereo sound.

Official press release:

September 6, 2012

ABC NEWS AND PEOPLE MAGAZINE PRESENT:

“BEST IN TV: THE GREATEST TV SHOWS OF OUR TIME WITH BY BARBARA WALTERS,”

A SPECIAL EDITION OF “20/20”

Television Fans Submit More Than a Million Votes in an Unprecedented Online Ballot

Two-Hour Broadcast to Air Tuesday, September 18

What are the greatest television shows of all time? Who are our favorite TV mom and dad? Who is our favorite television host of all time? It’s America’s turn to decide, as a collaboration between ABC News and PEOPLE Magazine gave TV fans the opportunity to vote online at www.bestintelevision.com for their favorites of all time. With more than one million votes cast, the results will be revealed during an unprecedented two-hour broadcast, a special edition of “20/20”, “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” airing TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on ABC, in conjunction with ABC’s broadcast of the Emmy Awards.

The program will include fresh interviews with stars, directors and producers including Desi Arnaz Jr. and Lucie Arnaz, Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Tina Fey, Mariska Hargitay, Florence Henderson, Christina Hendricks, Ron Howard, Warren Littlefield, Lorne Michaels, Muppets Kermit and Miss Piggy, Phylicia Rashad, Rob Reiner, Ryan Seacrest, Keith Thibodeaux -- aka Little Ricky -- from “I Love Lucy,” Betty White and Dick Wolf.

The special will also include classic clips from America’s favorite shows, as well as out-takes, screen tests and rare behind-the-scenes footage. In additiona, a panel of pop culture and television experts, including several editors and writers from PEOPLE, will weigh in with their thoughts and memories.

Categories:

Best TV Comedy

Best TV Drama

Best Legal or Cop Show

Favorite TV Mom

Favorite TV Dad

Favorite Reality Show

Best Talk Show Host

Best Non-Human Character

Favorite TV Variety Show

Best TV Show of All Time

PEOPLE will announce the winners in the Favorite Reality Show and Most Memorable TV Moments categories in the issue, which hits newsstand on September 14. Winners in the Best TV Game Show, Favorite Soap Opera/Daytime Drama, Best Animated Show and Favorite TV Theme Song categories will be revealed online at www.bestintelevision.com in conjunction with the “Best in TV” airdate. While on the “Best in TV” site, television fans also have the opportunity to view clips, slide shows and interviews.

Online Voting: Several dozen Emmy Award winning actors, directors and producers, along with several TV journalists, selected the nominees in each category by choosing their favorites from a list of hundreds of shows old and new. The “all star” panel included luminaries like actors Tim Allen, Valerie Harper and Jimmy Smits, and producers/directors/creators Stephen Bochco, Mark Burnett, Norman Lear, Warren Littlefield, Chuck Lorre and Shonda Rhimes, among many others.

John Green is the executive producer of “Best in TV: The Greatest TV Shows of Our Time with Barbara Walters,” which is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format with stereo sound.

Well, my BLANK dvd is ready but my expectations aren't that high, i've been disapointed too many times before.

That was a really well done special! Odd that they aged Lucie a year, though.

Well I was very happy with how most of it came out! I am thrilled that Johnny was voted favorite talk show host and of course that I Love Lucy won best tv show. The one thing I couldn't understand is how Ellen made it 2nd best talk show host. Dont get me wrong.I like Ellen alot and think she is a sweetheart but Dave should have been 2nd and Ellen should have been 5th in my opinion.

I was afraid that Seinfeld would have won because it seems like that is the only show that has topped Lucy before in these countdown shows. I think since it was a public vote on a network internet site that helped tip it.

I was worried about that too. I can't stand Seinfeld and have never understood why so many people enjoy it. Of course to each his own. But I like to watch a show thats about SOMETHING.

Archived