UPDATED: "I Love Lucy" named Best TV Show of All Time!

HarryCarter

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know how when people win the Oscar and they say Academy award winner next to their name, so from now on, when you mention I Love Lucy, make sure you add the Greatest Tv Show of all time to that, LOL!

Well...........according to ABC it's the best TV show of all time. I was sorta hoping CBS would do the survey! Would be more fitting, don't you agree?

Well...........according to ABC it's the best TV show of all time. I was sorta hoping CBS would do the survey! Would be more fitting, don't you agree?

I stopped worshiping CBS when they let Lucy move to NBC and then let ABC have her for Life with Lucy. AND, it wasn't an ABC survey, it was TV experts who selected the nominees and the general public who voted for the winners. ABC just showcased it on one of their news shows, 20/20.

I was worried about that too. I can't stand Seinfeld and have never understood why so many people enjoy it. Of course to each his own. But I like to watch a show thats about SOMETHING.

I have NEVER watched even ONE EPISODE of seinfeld.... The star seems to have enough teeth for a second mouth; and I have never seen one of his films either. Guess that puts me back in the dark ages; but, seinfeld, REALLY???

I loved it! I just wish Barbara would have included more of her interview with Lucie and Desi. I mean seriously I think all the interviews lasted about 10 secounds. I would like to see less talk from Bawa Wawa next time.

There will ONLY be less of wawa when the 'drain' she's circling finally grabs her.

And i'm glad Oprah explained her I KNEW I WAS DESTINED FOR GREATNESS comment, made her look so pompous.

For someone who was so UP-FRONT AND PERSONAL all those years who has now all but excaped from public viewing....and I STILL wonder why her BFF, Gayle, is performing on other than her OWN..... Anyone????

Well, if anybody or THING had to beat Lassie, i'm glad it was Kermit, although i prefer Miss Piggy myself. I mean she's the star, he's only a straight man.

...was going to let the 'Miss Piggy' comment go by; but, I actually THOUGHT it was she who won, instead of 'Kermit'! Must have happened during one of my million snoozes in between 'things happening'.... something ALWAYS managed to 'stir me' when either Lucille's voice came on, or the 'children' being interviewed.... I'm a happy camper today. Lucy being voted number one might sell more of my chronology, if I EVER GET THE THING READY FOR PUBLISHER! Selfish, I know; but, at my age, what the hell!!!!????

It was? Looked like one of those slap dash "E" specials to me. And those damned unknown talking heads always annoy me. The LUCY parts were the only ones that did not bore me to death.

Oh I cannot stand those especially when the "experts" are people who never knew the subjects, were often not even born in that era yet here they are like they're giving first person accounts when they are usually just parroting stuff they've read in books and magazines which is often quite dubious information.

I really enjoyed this entire special. The best and most important part, obviously, was I Love Lucy winning Best Comedy and Best TV show of all time (a great way to open and close the show! :lucythrill:), but it was fun to see the other categories as well. I hope Lucie didn't wince too much when Babs aged her a year, and Desi looks good. :luciedesi: And even though they drowned us in Vitameatavegamin and Job Switching clips, I'm glad they also showed some clips from other, lesser known episodes.

It would be interesting to speculate what "the top 5 TV comedies of all time" would have been had the voting taken place in 1962,72,82,92 or 02 instead of 2012. Certainly I Love Lucy would have been the only constant on those lists.

Of their top 5 comedies of all time picks, only Lucy and Seinfeld would make my list.

I certainly enjoyed MASH and Cheers, but never saw a "Cosby Show" episode and I don't know why.

Have people already forgotten how great "Roseanne" was?

It would be interesting to speculate what "the top 5 TV comedies of all time" would have been had the voting taken place in 1962,72,82,92 or 02 instead of 2012. Certainly I Love Lucy would have been the only constant on those lists.

Of their top 5 comedies of all time picks, only Lucy and Seinfeld would make my list.

I certainly enjoyed MASH and Cheers, but never saw a "Cosby Show" episode and I don't know why.

Best of lists are always very subjective. Yes, there are certain shows everyone agrees are a cut above the rest, but there are plenty of gems that go overlooked for one reason or another.

My own personal list of 5 best comedies (or my five favorites anyway) would be I Love Lucy, Frasier, Cheers, Ellen and Will & Grace.

I found it interesting that Miss Wawa confronting Lorne Michaels, and proclaiming tongue-in-cheek-ly that Gilda's impersonation "ruined her life", got so much screen time. It's quite obvious that it has stuck in her craw all these years.

It reminds me of the time when Baba took a lot of ribbing for asking Katherine Hepburn the question: "If you were a TREE, what kind would you be?". Later on one of her compilation specials, she addressed the 'issue' and showed an extended clip of the interview for the sole purpose of proving that question was not asked verbatim, and then came back on camera saying "See? I didn't ask her that." But she only succeeded in making a bigger fool of herself because, as I recall, the Kate-as-tree subject was broached in the interview just not asked verbatim as quoted.

This special was a great success, according to this missive from Unforgettable Licensing:

"Why is I LOVE LUCY the most successful show of all time...its because the principles are timeless including comedy, laughter, love and friendship. There's something inside of them that's inside of all of us."--Desi Arnaz, Jr.

I LOVE LUCY was voted the "Best Show of All Time" as well as "Best TV Comedy" in the Barbara Walters 20/20 Special that aired last night. "Lucy" beat out finalists "Seinfeld," "M*A*S*H," "All in the Family" and "Cheers" in the "Best Show of All Time" category.--ABC News and People Magazine Poll

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Best_In_TV/love-lucy-voted-best-tv-show-time/story?id=17263942#

More good news for the ABC program was the fact that the Special Edition of 20/20 ratings achieved a summer-high in the 2-hour time period with ABC’s best non-sports results in the slot in 4 months with Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54; and during the second hour from 10-11pm, 20/20 ranked #1 with Adults 25-54, beating NBC’s PARENTHOOD by 9%. In addition, the ABC news magazine beat out the NBC first-run drama by 2.7 million viewers and held a 17% advantage with Teens 12-17...generating more recognition in the younger demographic for I LOVE LUCY

Other news on I LOVE LUCY:

"It's no surprise that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are still stealing the hearts of America as "I Love Lucy" sits atop this chart, and remains a staple on television stations across the nation." --The Huffington Post (TV Land, Me-TV and The Hallmark Channel are a few of the national stations that currently air ILL daily.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/best-in-tv-classic-comedy-favorite-video_n_1895871.html

”I LOVE LUCY is reaching younger viewers who admire Ball’s flair for physical comedy."--The Orlando Sentinel

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/09/i-love-lucy-the-greatest-tv-show.html

"Sometimes the greatest sign of a future classic TV show is that it doesn't look like classic TV." --Time Magazine and NY Times, also recognized LUCY as "One of the Most Influential Shows".

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1659718-1,00.html

I have NEVER watched even ONE EPISODE of seinfeld.... The star seems to have enough teeth for a second mouth; and I have never seen one of his films either. Guess that puts me back in the dark ages; but, seinfeld, REALLY???

Doesn't matter, it's been off the air for years now, and it's not his teeth that bother me, it's the fact that he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, he's said so himself, he even said it on this special. BUT, even though he's just a stand up comedian, he makes like 50 million a year in revenue from the reruns shown worldwide.

...was going to let the 'Miss Piggy' comment go by; but, I actually THOUGHT it was she who won, instead of 'Kermit'! Must have happened during one of my million snoozes in between 'things happening'.... something ALWAYS managed to 'stir me' when either Lucille's voice came on, or the 'children' being interviewed.... I'm a happy camper today. Lucy being voted number one might sell more of my chronology, if I EVER GET THE THING READY FOR PUBLISHER! Selfish, I know; but, at my age, what the hell!!!!????

Honey, there's nothing SELFISH about it, you've worked long and hard on this book, so you should finally get the reward you've strived for.

Oh I cannot stand those especially when the "experts" are people who never knew the subjects, were often not even born in that era yet here they are like they're giving first person accounts when they are usually just parroting stuff they've read in books and magazines which is often quite dubious information.

So true. And that People guy was ther worst, never gave Lucy any respect while she was living, one top ccorner cover one time, except when she died, then they had many covers to expolit her memory and fatten their coffers.

I really enjoyed this entire special. The best and most important part, obviously, was I Love Lucy winning Best Comedy and Best TV show of all time (a great way to open and close the show! :lucythrill:), but it was fun to see the other categories as well. I hope Lucie didn't wince too much when Babs aged her a year, and Desi looks good. :luciedesi: And even though they drowned us in Vitameatavegamin and Job Switching clips, I'm glad they also showed some clips from other, lesser known episodes.

That's the thing, always the same damned clips and some you wonder why they included them. I'm with Joyce on this, boring except for the Lucy parts and maybe one or two other instances.

Oh you are so right! Roseanne just never gets any respect at all when these things are done, i think as she is so hated in Hollywood. I LOVED Cheers and have that entire series, as well as Lucy and seinfeld, but you couldn't GIVE me MASH or Cosby, the reason you never saw it is because it was classy, well done, well cast but so seldom F U N N Y ! I remember how my family never wanted to watch MASH, but when they had it sandwhiched in between those great Saturday night CBS comedies, we HAD to watch it to get to the next much better programs.

Best of lists are always very subjective. Yes, there are certain shows everyone agrees are a cut above the rest, but there are plenty of gems that go overlooked for one reason or another.

My own personal list of 5 best comedies (or my five favorites anyway) would be I Love Lucy, Frasier, Cheers, Ellen and Will & Grace.

Well, three out of your top five for me, can't stand grammer. But i agree with YOU and Neil, that these would be different if taken ten years ago, twenty years ago, or ten years from now, Lucy might be the only constant. And like those American Film Institute lists of stars and movies, they are always argued about for weeks afterwards, nobody agrees about anything.

I found it interesting that Miss Wawa confronting Lorne Michaels, and proclaiming tongue-in-cheek-ly that Gilda's impersonation "ruined her life", got so much screen time. It's quite obvious that it has stuck in her craw all these years.

It reminds me of the time when Baba took a lot of ribbing for asking Katherine Hepburn the question: "If you were a TREE, what kind would you be?". Later on one of her compilation specials, she addressed the 'issue' and showed an extended clip of the interview for the sole purpose of proving that question was not asked verbatim, and then came back on camera saying "See? I didn't ask her that." But she only succeeded in making a bigger fool of herself because, as I recall, the Kate-as-tree subject was broached in the interview just not asked verbatim as quoted.

Yeah, Babsy always does succeed in making it all about H E R ! LOL!

Archived