LucyFest 2012

Thank you Taylor and Brock!! Been extremely busy in the last few days (week) and sick also so soo good to be feeling better and then to read this about the Lucy fest going like this just makes me want to bury my head back in bed! Waaahhh! :lucydaze:

So I guess next year when Taylor and I go we'll be going for a comedy show?? I think not..

We're going to see stuff about LUCY! :gasp::hlLOL:

I love comedy and all..and LUCY's brand of comedy ROCKS..but I've always thought Paula Poundstone was ok. The rest of the line up is ok, TO ME..don't get me wrong..they're insanely popular to some folks!

The thought of them furthering the comedy line of the future..great, but KEEP THIS FESTIVAL ABOUT LUCY! Oh..it'd also be a great idea to get the heads of the archive and the "director" the heck out if they don't want to keep the FUTURE knowing who this BEAUTIFUL SMART FUNNY VIVACIOUS LIVELY and GENIOUS of a woman was! *as if half of us haven't already been saying this already.

Keep her memory alive! (That's what we're doing here..right?)

Anyway..Love to y'all..I'm heading to bed. Gonna watch some more Olympics. Good luck to your respective favorite Olympians!

Gypsy Rose :ido::ill:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now looking at that article, I guess Jamestown and Lucy fests slowly but surely are switching to all comedy. Maybe they should start the 2 festivals again. Memorial day weekend could be for lessons on comedy and new comedians to come in and then for Lucy's birthday it should be all about her. All I know is that the Center should not be so involved in this 'Comedy Hall of Fame', understandable for them to sponsor but they need to keep their focus on Lucy!

Well now looking at that article, I guess Jamestown and Lucy fests slowly but surely are switching to all comedy. If they want to make Jamestown the capitol for comedy they need to separate the comedy aspect and Lucy. They are using her name to get people in there to make money for this comedy thing. Maybe they should start the 2 festivals again. Memorial day weekend could be for lessons on comedy and new comedians to come in and then for Lucy's birthday it should be all about her. All I know is that the Center should not be so involved in this 'Comedy Hall of Fame', understandable for them to sponsor but they need to keep their focus on Lucy!

This one is revised.

I am just wondering if you are by any chance related to the couple who were pictured in one of the Jamestown gift shops? I know it didn't say Rappy but seems that it was something similar and I see you have mentioned donations and Lucy Lane. Is there a connection? I never made it to her house but I heard Lucie Arnaz was there this weekend too. Is that true? How lucky for you!

Yes Artie. I own Lucy Lane. Lucie stopped by and was very sweet. She looked great and I heard her performance was terrific.

Yes Artie. I own Lucy Lane. Lucie stopped by and was very sweet. She looked great and I heard her performance was terrific.

Lucie Arnaz is pushing the Center to stay with comedy. She said that is what her mother wanted. I believe the Center and Museum should be about what the fans want. We are the ones wanting to honor Lucy. Lucy's wish could be comedy in some way in Jamestown. OUR wish should be a Lucy festival full of Lucy comedy. Even if it's two days, that is what I wish it would be. I guess the future will tell! I know the board members could care less about Lucy except for the fact that Lucy brings money to their businesses. If they cared, Lucy's "things' would be well taken care of. They don't have the money to do that, but they have the money to advertise the hell out of comedy! When I offered to take care of the archives for free, Journey never called me back. Seriously! Now it's too late. I stay far away from the drama there. Besides, the drama queens there still work there!

Anxious to hear how the Celeron presentation is.

I posted, briefly, under my Happy Birthday Greeting - to Magster, regarding the presentation: I could re-copy, over to here; but, am under the 'editing' gun by my publisher to get the manuscript of the chronology to them asap. So, it's 'butt up; head down' for the next several whatevers.... Fondly, JK

If the Comedy Hall of Fame comes to Jamestown, It wouldn't be run by the same administration as the Lucy-Desi Museum, Playhouse, et al, correct? Just playing devil's advocate for a moment... Could it be that Journey and the board want to get the CHOF (weird initials) into Jamestown to draw more business, donations, etc in for the Lucy stuff? Certainly another attraction, one of that size, could only help the Lucy-Desi Center, right? Perhaps the ultimate goal is for the CHOF to host a festival Memorial Day Weekend (with some Lucy-related fun) while Lucy Birthday weekends are Lucy-centered with some CHOF fun? As many/most of you know, I don't like/agree with the way things are being handled, but these are some things I've wondered lately.

If the Comedy Hall of Fame comes to Jamestown, It wouldn't be run by the same administration as the Lucy-Desi Museum, Playhouse, et al, correct? Just playing devil's advocate for a moment... Could it be that Journey and the board want to get the CHOF (weird initials) into Jamestown to draw more business, donations, etc in for the Lucy stuff? Certainly another attraction, one of that size, could only help the Lucy-Desi Center, right? Perhaps the ultimate goal is for the CHOF to host a festival Memorial Day Weekend (with some Lucy-related fun) while Lucy Birthday weekends are Lucy-centered with some CHOF fun? As many/most of you know, I don't like/agree with the way things are being handled, but these are some things I've wondered lately.

The Center is already using the name "Lucy Center for Comedy" instead of the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Center. They are changing merchandise from the Playhouse to Studio. When I told Lucie about the archives being in disarray, her reply was "they are only things". It made me very sad to hear that. I guess Lucie does not view the center as we do being fans. My heart aches for the condition of the stuff left unattended.

I donated the original contract that Lucy signed for BEAUTY FOR THE ASKING to the center. Four years later, I found it on a shelf outside the archives in a heap of papers. It was never archived and never taken care of. Makes you want to donate again huh! NOT! I did offer to pay for everything needed to fix the archives. I offered to do the work myself. Being a huge collector, I know what I am doing. I never got the call back and then Journey wished me well in my future endeavors. Can't make this crap up here!

That's very disappointing that Lucie would show that kind of indifference to the items in the archive. And disgusting that something like the Beauty for the Asking contract you mentioned was just laying about. Out of curiosity, were items in the archive treated any better back in the "Wyman years?" What struck me the most on my last visit to Jamestown was how little is actually being displayed in what, to me, seems like a decently sized space.

That's very disappointing that Lucie would show that kind of indifference to the items in the archive. And disgusting that something like the Beauty for the Asking contract you mentioned was just laying about. Out of curiosity, were items in the archive treated any better back in the "Wyman years?" What struck me the most on my last visit to Jamestown was how little is actually being displayed in what, to me, seems like a decently sized space.

The archives were never taken care of. There was never enough money for that. Abbie and I went into the archives two years ago and put everything into boxes and put them on shelves. Wyman had shown Lucie the archives years ago with beautiful archival boxes on the shelves. Lucie was impressed but did not know that the boxes were empty:) Clever little Wyman huh! Abbie and I filled the boxes, but did not archive or separate anything. The boxes were a mess cuz we just wanted the stuff off the floors and covered. I bet they would never let anyone in there to examine the stuff now....The picture of the archives on the Lucy web page is not the archives for the Center. How weird that Journey would post a fake picture! I do believe at this time though, the picture is missing from the new web page.

HA!!!!

Don't worry, Lucie could have done absolutely anything and there'd still be people who weren't satisfied. :professor:

Well, if she'd stick to what the majority of the fans want I'm sure there'd be a lot less bitching. Sounds like from what Rappy said above that she doesn't really hear what the fans want and just goes by something her mother supposedly said years ago. That to me is very disappointing.

The Center is already using the name "Lucy Center for Comedy" instead of the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Center. They are changing merchandise from the Playhouse to Studio. When I told Lucie about the archives being in disarray, her reply was "they are only things". It made me very sad to hear that. I guess Lucie does not view the center as we do being fans. My heart aches for the condition of the stuff left unattended.

I donated the original contract that Lucy signed for BEAUTY FOR THE ASKING to the center. Four years later, I found it on a shelf outside the archives in a heap of papers. It was never archived and never taken care of. Makes you want to donate again huh! NOT! I did offer to pay for everything needed to fix the archives. I offered to do the work myself. Being a huge collector, I know what I am doing. I never got the call back and then Journey wished me well in my future endeavors. Can't make this crap up here!

such a shame! I guess lucie doesn't realize that 'those things' are what people are coming to jamestown to see...what will the hall of fame include???...probably just 'more things' that won't be cared for...

I realize this is repetitious, but it went unanswered... Can anyone answer this: will the Comedy Hall of Fame be run by the same administration as the Lucy-Desi Center? From the various articles I've read, I've gotten the impression the answer is "no." Namely because the CHOF is being considered for other locations (ie. Niagara Falls). Which still leads me to believe that Lucie, Journey, etc are working to bring the CHOF to Jamestown to promote economic growth for Jamestown (and thus the Lucy-Desi Center). Maybe there's a bigger picture here?

There will always be things that people WANT from Lucie..she'll never be LUCY.

Never.

We lost our LUCY.

She's gone.

BUT She's gonna live on forever in film and dvd and our memories IF we keep her alive in the LUCY FESTIVAL.

WE have no idea WHAT she said to her daughter, none of us were there were we.

The only thing we can do is TRY to keep her memory alive generation to generation. Keep people interested in her. (like we have to try..she was a comedic GENIUS!)

We have yet to see LUCIE follow in her footsteps except for when Lucy had her in Here's Lucy. We know LUCIE does great work in music like her father, and we applaud her for that. Taylor and I will probably see her in that when we go to Jamestown. IF there isn't something LUCY related going on at that time. Lucy rates first.

Anyway..that's my thoughts.

Gypsy Rose @}-,-

I realize this is repetitious, but it went unanswered... Can anyone answer this: will the Comedy Hall of Fame be run by the same administration as the Lucy-Desi Center? From the various articles I've read, I've gotten the impression the answer is "no." Namely because the CHOF is being considered for other locations (ie. Niagara Falls). Which still leads me to believe that Lucie, Journey, etc are working to bring the CHOF to Jamestown to promote economic growth for Jamestown (and thus the Lucy-Desi Center). Maybe there's a bigger picture here?

Yes, Lucy-Desi is running the show...They want all the credit for the Cooperstown of Jamestown and they will use Lucy to try and achieve that.

Whoever ultimately runs it and whatever it ultimately encompasses, I am looking forward to The Comedy Hall of Fame. It has the potential for so many exciting possibilities! And anything that can bring added business and vitality to Downtown Jamestown is sorely needed.

HA!!!!

Don't worry, Lucie could have done absolutely anything and there'd still be people who weren't satisfied. :professor:

Agreed. Lucie could stumble upon the cure for some terrible disease and there would still be people suggesting she should have done so while wearing I Love Lucy scrubs. LOL

Yes, Lucy-Desi is running the show...They want all the credit for the Cooperstown of Jamestown and they will use Lucy to try and achieve that.

This is from the Center's website notice is mentions nothing about the archives, museum or preserving the legacy of Lucy and Desi

DONATE NOW

The Legacy of Laughter mission platform is comprised of four segments:

The Legacy of Laughter Award and Hall of Fame, honoring annually the comedian who most exemplifies Lucy and Desi and the mission of the Center.

The Festival of Comedy which will return the Center to its roots when the likes of (then unknowns) Ray Romano, Ellen DeGeneres and Paula Poundstone played in Jamestown during the early Lucy Fest programs.

A Comedy Film Festival that will inspire new artists to follow Lucy and Desi’s footsteps and delve into comedic theater and production.

The development of a comedic education program in conjunction with an accredited university that will have satellite programs in Jamestown and the surrounding region. Part of this program will focus on the healing power of laughter and will eventually provide services to local health care institutions.

Agreed. Lucie could stumble upon the cure for some terrible disease and there would still be people suggesting she should have done so while wearing I Love Lucy scrubs. LOL

Ah bullroar. :rolleyes: LOL

It's so hard carrying the legacy of your famous parents, I know. :lucydisgust:

At the very least she could listen to the fans and not be so dismissive of history and important artifacts of her mother's.

Ah bullroar. :rolleyes: LOL

It's so hard carrying the legacy of your famous parents, I know. :lucydisgust:

At the very least she could listen to the fans and not be so dismissive of history and important artifacts of her mother's.

I think we should be grateful for all the hard work she HAS put in these past 23 years to preserve and promote her parents' legacies. Lucie is her own person and an incredible talent. I'm sure it's frustrating to be compared to and expected to carry on in the name of your parents, constantly. I think Lucie has handled the immense (and important, don't get me wrong) task of preserving her mother and father's legacy extraordinarily well. When you think about it, she really doesn't HAVE to do any of this, and I think everything she has done is done out of obvious love and appreciation for BOTH of her parents. :)

I think we should be grateful for all the hard work she HAS put in these past 23 years to preserve and promote her parents' legacies. Lucie is her own person and an incredible talent. I'm sure it's frustrating to be compared to and expected to carry on in the name of your parents, constantly. I think Lucie has handled the immense (and important, don't get me wrong) task of preserving her mother and father's legacy extraordinarily well. When you think about it, she really doesn't HAVE to do any of this, and I think everything she has done is done out of obvious love and appreciation for BOTH of her parents. :)

Exactly. Lets take a moment to remember all she has given us thus far (to name a few): Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie, Lucy's autobiography, countless pieces to the museum, all those stories in interviews (this seems to happen in EVERY interview) as well as those told during shows, galas, etc., making each Here's Lucy DVD release an event with a wealth of beautiful extras and the auctions of some of her Mother's pieces offered on eBay recently. And surely there will be more to come, and loads I've missed.

Archived