The Barbara Walters Interview (FULL)

Do what i do, use a black folder to hide him when viewing this otherwise terrific interview. Then it doesn`t make me so an ge ry. LOL!

LOL! You crack me up! Your such a joy Claude. I have so many mixed feeling about Gary. Have you looked through the Archive of American Television interviews about Desilu and Lucy and Desi? It provides a wealth of new info and really backs up what is said in the books about both Desi and Gary. They ALL said Desi was very bright. But with Gary.. well. Some openly expressed their dislike for the guy. Others said he could be pleasant to be around. But no one gave him any professional praise. I found that very interesting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! You crack me up! Your such a joy Claude. I have so many mixed feeling about Gary. Have you looked through the Archive of American Television interviews about Desilu and Lucy and Desi? It provides a wealth of new info and really backs up what is said in the books about both Desi and Gary. They ALL said Desi was very bright. But with Gary.. well. Some openly expressed their dislike for the guy. Others said he could be pleasant to be around. But no one gave him any professional praise. I found that very interesting.

The truth always is, LOL! But he held her hand and kept her happy in the sack so . . . Lucy got used to bagels instead of tortillas.

Yes Im sure he did make her happy. Where do you get this info on there sex life though? lol

I think she said to some friends that when they really started going, his toupee would flip back and forth and that was a real turn-on for her. LMAO. Yeah that's gross. Everyone picture that for a moment....

He was 13 years younger than her. You never waste a boner when you get to be that age either. Seriously though, I think she told some buddies that he made her happy that way. Guh-ross.

Lucy was on Dick Cavett's show twice before. This was her third appearance. On her second show with Cavett, she was joined by Lucie and Carol Burnett. Lucy was actually the last guest on the show that night. The 1974 interview on the DVD set is the only episode where Lucy is the sole guest, which is probably the reason that one was chosen.

Good point. The DVD set was aimed at focusing on episodes that contained a full hour with the guest. I guess they used the only episode that had Lucy on for the full hour.

I always thought she was sitting that way in the 1974 Cavett interview because the lighting was so terrible.

Well that could perhaps explain her fidgeting in her seat but to me that doesn't really explain her rather lukewarm interaction with Cavett. I guess it's just me!

I extremely doubt Lucy was "banned" from The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson after she wore the black wig in 1980. She really had nothing to promote from 1981-1983, so there was no reason for her to go on Carson's show. She loved Joan Rivers, so I'm sure when the opportunity presented itself, she agreed to go on when Joan guest hosted in 1984 and 1985. Lucy had things to promote at this time, too. Lucy always loved Johnny Carson and always praised him. She did say to him on the show that she knew that he liked her, but didn't think he was as interested in what she had to say as he was with some other guests.

It looked to me that Lucy really respected Carson. In fact, much like she loved Joan, Lucy seemed to respect anyone that she 1) knew very well and/or 2) noticed did their craft very well (much like she did). It looked like she appreciated people who did what they did very well. She seemed genuinely tickled by Carson's comedy and felt she was up against the best when she was on the show. I see a mutual admiration in the both of them.

Well, there ya go. TOLD YOU SO. She felt comfortable with Merv, he babied all his superstar guests. With Cavett, she respected and admired him, but he was known to be very high brow and she felt at a disadvantage talking to him. She was so insecure.

haha "TOLD ME SO" what? If anything I told YOU so...Lucy was pretty cold in that particular interview and this info about a "forbidden subject list" proves WHY she was as cold as she was. You didn't even notice the difference in Lucy's demeanor.

I think she said to some friends that when they really started going, his toupee would flip back and forth and that was a real turn-on for her. LMAO. Yeah that's gross. Everyone picture that for a moment....

He was 13 years younger than her. You never waste a boner when you get to be that age either. Seriously though, I think she told some buddies that he made her happy that way. Guh-ross.

So frightening. Why Lucy why?! Ugh. Haha.

I'm sure Desi made her feel WAYYYY better. Besides the whole 'cleanliness' thing.

haha "TOLD ME SO" what? If anything I told YOU so...Lucy was pretty cold in that particular interview and this info about a "forbidden subject list" proves WHY she was as cold as she was. You didn't even notice the difference in Lucy's demeanor.

Oh for crissakes will you let it go already. You think she was rude and cold and i do not share that opinion, nuff said! She was always nervous and fidgety, always played with her clothes, and the SPLANATION about the lighting makes perfect sense. If she didn't like him and felt rude towards him she never would have agreed to go on three times. :lucythrill:

Another example of Lucy giving out too much information sometimes, she said that gary was always clean whereas Desi was usually dirty. :lucydisgust:

She was always nervous and fidgety, always played with her clothes

LOL! - the benefits of circumcision ;-)

Yes, I agree with you Claude - she always was fidgety during interviews and nervous but no, I don't believe she was ever rude - she might have just come across that way due to nerves xx

Oh for crissakes will you let it go already. You think she was rude and cold and i do not share that opinion, nuff said! She was always nervous and fidgety, always played with her clothes, and the SPLANATION about the lighting makes perfect sense. If she didn't like him and felt rude towards him she never would have agreed to go on three times. :lucythrill:

Right. I'm sure her need to promote whatever new show/movie had nothing to do with her visiting Cavett. She was on this episode to promote "Mame." She was there for business...not necessarily pleasure.

But anyway, that's that. I'll end this here. I should know better than to argue with a member of your position. One doesn't get to 38,000 posts by taking things quietly.

Right. I'm sure her need to promote whatever new show/movie had nothing to do with her visiting Cavett. She was on this episode to promote "Mame." She was there for business...not necessarily pleasure.

But anyway, that's that. I'll end this here. I should know better than to argue with a member of your position. One doesn't get to 38,000 posts by taking things quietly.

No, no, please don't take offence, i just refuse to believe Lucy was R U D E to him on that show. She was much too concerned about her IMAGE to ever do something like that. The O N L Y time i saw her say something rude was on the interview with Jane Pauley, where Jane flatters her with NO, YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL and Lucy, never liking anything fake or unreal shoots back, HEY, IT'S MY STORY AND I'M GONNA TELL IT. NBC played that one the day she died and i thought that was so bad of them to do that. But i guess it does prove your point that she could be RUDE, however, loving that Dick Cavett show so much and watching it till i have it memorized, i see her being funny, playful, natural, i just don't see any rudeness. I never even remembered the HAVING HER BACK TO HIM until you brought it up, but i agree with Harry that it had more to do with lighting than anything else.

And sorry again, but i will go to my grave ALWAYS defending Lucy, it's what i do! But it does not stop me from throwing some digs at her too when warrented.

Archived