Lucy talks illness and Lucy character.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep right on. I just don't understand what Lucy saw in him. Oh I know I know. She saw stability. But come on she couldn't have found someone bright and capable like Desi before the drinking got out of hand?(Even then he was brilliant but no longer capable) Oh and he made her laugh. That I will NEVER understand LOL. The guy wasn't funny! Ive seen his standup act! I just don't get it. Ive always felt I understood her relationship with Desi. I clearly see why she fell madly in love with him and I understand just as clearly why they had to divorce. Gary I will never understand

Gary was pretty corny in his sense of humor. I cringe whenever I see that audience warm-up bit of his. I never understood why Lucy thought he was so funny either.

Gary was pretty corny in his sense of humor. I cringe whenever I see that audience warm-up bit of his. I never understood why Lucy thought he was so funny either.

Maybe his humor was different when it was just those two. He just made her happy, he was exactly what she needed at the time. Completely whipped in every sense. But it was a pretty good marriage. Wheras Lucy and Desi were a passionate love but a struggling marriage. But I do give him respect and also Edie, they knew Lucy and Desi were still so in love and never ever recovered from the divorce. But they somehow lived with that in the back of their mind. I could never do that. Especially Gary watching Lucy become numb after Desi died and eventually basically dying of a broken heart. That probably hurt Gary. I think that's what brought him to say after Lucy died 'They are together now.'

YOU know... It is interesting to me WHY she liked Gary in the first place... maybe since he was the ANTIDESI he was okay in her eyes... and it is kinda weird how he JUMPED on her... and rode her to the bank.. I mean she pretty much banckrolled him didn't she?? He was producer of all of her shows and I guess did what he was told and took whatever she gave him... and also wasn't screwing around and embarassing her in public... I dunno... I think some ways he was good for her and other times I wonder.. WTF did she see in him??? (YOU would think I could wonder about other stuff but I have finally consented to admit that I am a true LUCY GEEK!) THAT news about him being the deciding factor of pulling the plug on that show.. kinda makes me think it was his way of bumpin her off.. knowing how she THRIVED on that stuff... like they NEEDED more money??!!??? SHE wouldn't have stopped by recieving a cut in pay.. she would have continued.. (I think anyway).. anyway.. who knows what her motives were.. but it kinda spells out what HIS motives were.

Oh but now we know it wasn't the network who "pulled the plug". It was Gary. The network offered to continue the show at a reduced rate and Gary turned them down. Stu Shostak let it slip out once but has never mentioned it again. Every time I think about it I see red. Im sorry but this was not his decision to make!! This was the end of HER career and that no talented,second rate comic had NO right to make the call. He didn't even tell her about the offer!! This above everything else Gary did wrong with her career, I will never forgive him for! The success that Lucy and Desi built together(swallow that one Morton) ended with a decision from a no talented hack. And harsh as I know this sounds I mean every word of it!

And I don't blame you!! I don't recall every hearing this before but it shouldn't surprise me as much as it does: You'd think being her husband he would've put her feelings, etc. above his own greed. But nooooooo! Makes me wonder too if she ever eventually found out? Wonder how he talked his way out of that one!! What a putz!

I had no idea that the network offered to continue LWL at a reduced pay rate, or that Gary turned it down without even discussing it with Lucy. SO sad, especially knowing she most probably would have done it not just because she loved working again, but because all the staff & crew of the show would be unemployed.

As sad as it is, it makes me feel a little better to know that CBS wanted to keep her on. I remember reading that the advertisers were panicky because her ratings tumbled every week. This info shows that they had respect for Lucy & all she had done for the company all those years. CBS had a little class after all.

And I don't blame you!! I don't recall every hearing this before but it shouldn't surprise me as much as it does: You'd think being her husband he would've put her feelings, etc. above his own greed. But nooooooo! Makes me wonder too if she ever eventually found out? Wonder how he talked his way out of that one!! What a putz!

I think Gary termed success by how much money could be made. He just didn't think creatively. He was able to get them a lot of money for doing Life with Lucy therefore its a success! Never mind how the product looks or WHAT the product is for that matter.

I had no idea that the network offered to continue LWL at a reduced pay rate, or that Gary turned it down without even discussing it with Lucy. SO sad, especially knowing she most probably would have done it not just because she loved working again, but because all the staff & crew of the show would be unemployed.

As sad as it is, it makes me feel a little better to know that CBS wanted to keep her on. I remember reading that the advertisers were panicky because her ratings tumbled every week. This info shows that they had respect for Lucy & all she had done for the company all those years. CBS had a little class after all.

Except for the fact that the show was on ABC, not CBS.

I think Gary termed success by how much money could be made. He just didn't think creatively. I was able to get them a lot of money to do Life with Lucy therefore its a success! Never mind how the product looks or WHAT the product is for that matter.

Problem was he did not know comedy , or at least situation comedy on tv, so he started ruining her shows decades before.

YOU know... It is interesting to me WHY she liked Gary in the first place... maybe since he was the ANTIDESI he was okay in her eyes... and it is kinda weird how he JUMPED on her... and rode her to the bank.. I mean she pretty much banckrolled him didn't she?? He was producer of all of her shows and I guess did what he was told and took whatever she gave him... and also wasn't screwing around and embarassing her in public... I dunno... I think some ways he was good for her and other times I wonder.. WTF did she see in him??? (YOU would think I could wonder about other stuff but I have finally consented to admit that I am a true LUCY GEEK!) THAT news about him being the deciding factor of pulling the plug on that show.. kinda makes me think it was his way of bumpin her off.. knowing how she THRIVED on that stuff... like they NEEDED more money??!!??? SHE wouldn't have stopped by recieving a cut in pay.. she would have continued.. (I think anyway).. anyway.. who knows what her motives were.. but it kinda spells out what HIS motives were.

Problem is he was her manager too, so people went to him to get to her so i`m sure a lot of really great people never wanted to have to deal with him to get to the greatest comedienne of all time. Unfortunately.

Well, this one is easier to understand, she could never control Desi, but being a Leo, she sure controlled gary. He was her TYPE, she liked ugly handsome she used to say and I know the handsome part was absent but he did look sophisticated with the grey hair, always well dressed and driving fancy cars. He looked good on her arm, he could fake the dignity part. And remember on that Barbara Walters special where she told Barbara that if she had seen one hint of anything involving him with any woman, he was out, just like that. She suffered a loot with Desi, the embarrassment, everybody knowing he fooled around on her, the drinking, gambling, this guy did none of that, that we know of anyway. So after all those years with that stress, she had the quiet she craved. She had enough stress doing the shows, she needed the stability at home. And he provided that. The big joke at the time with other comedians was that he was dull and boring, just what she needed at the time unfortunately.

Problem is he was her manager too, so people went to him to get to her so i`m sure a lot of really great people never wanted to have to deal with him to get to the greatest comedienne of all time. Unfortunately.

Lucy's writers all mentioned this at one point or another.

I think at times she forgot he wasn't a genius like Desi was. I think she wanted that feel of a family in the workplace again, as much as it still did it was nothing like the I Love Lucy family. Imagine if Desi stayed in as producer and business with her. How many more great things would and could have happened.

I think at times she forgot he wasn't a genius like Desi was. I think she wanted that feel of a family in the workplace again, as much as it still did it was nothing like the I Love Lucy family. Imagine if Desi stayed in as producer and business with her. How many more great things would and could have happened.

Yeah, but gary's ego never would have survived that.

Bingo. And you dear Claude just highlighted the reason, I believe, she would take Gary's advise. To build up his ego. Of course, talented as she was, she was also full of insecurities about herself.

She expected him to learn from the ground up, from everybody, but i'm sure he felt a sense of entitlement at just being the boss' husband. But how could he know anything about a sitcom, he never even watched the most popular sitcom of all time, I Love Lucy. He must have known what was good though, his all time favorite comedy series was Britain's Fawlty Towers and I own that and it IS great.

I was listening to 2 shows from Stu’s archive over the weekend. In both he talks at length about Life With Lucy. Many things we reiterate it here about it not working, why, etc… Apparently as Gary’s assistant he was asked for his opinion on the scripts and he did not mince words when he told Gary they were terrible. Gary just said Lucy will make it better. From some stories stu tells, Lucy was really unhappy that the weight of the show was falling on her to carry it. She did not want that. I know we were wondering if she talked to Desi at this time about the show as he was sick with cancer and dying. She did call him up many times and seek advice on how to fix it. Whether his advice was taken was unclear.

One thought on why this did not work that was often mentioned was that so many people from the olden days were brought back. We know Lucy didn’t like change so having anyone new with her was not going to fly. But these people were past their prime, and she needed some new blood, a different format. It was brought up numerous times that Lucy needed someone her own age to partner with. The Audrey Meadows show was a good example and that is what she needed. Someone to bounce off of (a female I think). Too bad that this was the show that could have turned it around had they continued like that. Stu and maybe others brought this idea up to Gary and offered to add people like Mary Wickes and Mary Jane. Gary’s response was he didn’t want to make it look like a rerun. Um, I think that was the unintentional goal.

Stu talked about the John Ritter script and that lousy part at the end with the harmonica. It was suppose to be Lucy who swallows it. Stu told Gary all the reasons why this was terrible, to which he said, Lucy will make it better. Well the table read happens, Gary comes back and says “you got your wish, she won’t do it”. I still want to know why it was any better having John swallow it. The ending to that episode was just terrible and could have been so much better with someone as talented as John.

In these interviews Stu did not mention about the network offering to continue the show. I would believe that though, if they have to pay all that money for it anyways, try to at least make a deal to have something instead of paying all this money and not getting product out of it. I do think this was the final nail in the coffin for Lucy as she could handle the personal life things that were happening at that time, death, illness, but to take away what was probably the most important thing to her, her work and make her feel like she could not even come back and be accepted for what she was loved for so many years was just cruel. If the story about the network is true, what was Gary’s motivation in not taking them up on it? Was it all $$$? I would hope that he loved her and understood her more than that, as Lucy never cared about money but always cared about her work. Did he maybe think that it was getting to be too much for her, emotionally and physically? Maybe he finally saw how bad it was and thought it was unfixable.

Maybe he was trying to spare her the continued negative press by pulling the plug. Maybe he didn’t realize that being cancelled was taking away the last bit of her career that she truly loved. I do try to give the guy some credit as he did seem to love her and she really did love him. I don’t think it was a marriage of convenience, but Lucy just did not want to be bothered with the business side and she became so reliant on someone for that, she just could not see that he wasn’t any good at it. Maybe she felt guilt that he felt like number 2 and had to bolster his ego. I always say she listened to the wrong husband on that show.

I was listening to 2 shows from Stu’s archive over the weekend. In both he talks at length about Life With Lucy. Many things we reiterate it here about it not working, why, etc… Apparently as Gary’s assistant he was asked for his opinion on the scripts and he did not mince words when he told Gary they were terrible. Gary just said Lucy will make it better. From some stories stu tells, Lucy was really unhappy that the weight of the show was falling on her to carry it. She did not want that. I know we were wondering if she talked to Desi at this time about the show as he was sick with cancer and dying. She did call him up many times and seek advice on how to fix it. Whether his advice was taken was unclear.

One thought on why this did not work that was often mentioned was that so many people from the olden days were brought back. We know Lucy didn’t like change so having anyone new with her was not going to fly. But these people were past their prime, and she needed some new blood, a different format. It was brought up numerous times that Lucy needed someone her own age to partner with. The Audrey Meadows show was a good example and that is what she needed. Someone to bounce off of (a female I think). Too bad that this was the show that could have turned it around had they continued like that. Stu and maybe others brought this idea up to Gary and offered to add people like Mary Wickes and Mary Jane. Gary’s response was he didn’t want to make it look like a rerun. Um, I think that was the unintentional goal.

Stu talked about the John Ritter script and that lousy part at the end with the harmonica. It was suppose to be Lucy who swallows it. Stu told Gary all the reasons why this was terrible, to which he said, Lucy will make it better. Well the table read happens, Gary comes back and says “you got your wish, she won’t do it”. I still want to know why it was any better having John swallow it. The ending to that episode was just terrible and could have been so much better with someone as talented as John.

In these interviews Stu did not mention about the network offering to continue the show. I would believe that though, if they have to pay all that money for it anyways, try to at least make a deal to have something instead of paying all this money and not getting product out of it. I do think this was the final nail in the coffin for Lucy as she could handle the personal life things that were happening at that time, death, illness, but to take away what was probably the most important thing to her, her work and make her feel like she could not even come back and be accepted for what she was loved for so many years was just cruel. If the story about the network is true, what was Gary’s motivation in not taking them up on it? Was it all $$$? I would hope that he loved her and understood her more than that, as Lucy never cared about money but always cared about her work. Did he maybe think that it was getting to be too much for her, emotionally and physically? Maybe he finally saw how bad it was and thought it was unfixable.

Maybe he was trying to spare her the continued negative press by pulling the plug. Maybe he didn’t realize that being cancelled was taking away the last bit of her career that she truly loved. I do try to give the guy some credit as he did seem to love her and she really did love him. I don’t think it was a marriage of convenience, but Lucy just did not want to be bothered with the business side and she became so reliant on someone for that, she just could not see that he wasn’t any good at it. Maybe she felt guilt that he felt like number 2 and had to bolster his ego. I always say she listened to the wrong husband on that show.

The reduced pay offer is true. Stu posted it in a comment below an artical written about Life with Lucy in 2011. He later erased it. But not before I saw it. As you know from listening to Stu's interviews he has made mention that he had to lie to Lucy in order to continue working for them. Put two and two together. Pretty sure this is what he had to lie about. Stu said after Life with Lucy he lost respect for Gary and their relationship was never the same.

Archived