Lucy talks illness and Lucy character.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s a question. Do you think one of the many reasons she got married so fast was to keep herself from ever possible having a reconciliation? Was she afraid that she would go back to Desi knowing all along that it would not change but if she stayed single the loneliness would take over?

I've lost my way, here, for a moment; and no time to investigate; BUT, had Desi married Edie, or is too early on after their divorce for him to have done so? While asking THIS question; wonder if he ever cheated on Edie? Someone said awhile back on this Lounge, they were separated a short time; but, got back together....ANYONE???

I've lost my way, here, for a moment; and no time to investigate; BUT, had Desi married Edie, or is too early on after their divorce for him to have done so? While asking THIS question; wonder if he ever cheated on Edie? Someone said awhile back on this Lounge, they were separated a short time; but, got back together....ANYONE???

Of course he cheated on her. Edie had a rough ride to say the least. His drinking lead to more and more reckless behavior.

Joyce, thanks for sharing your story about Lucy's hometown boyfriend Johnny with us! Very cool B) . With your lifelong Jamestown/Lucy connection, you should write a book. Oh wait -- you are! :lucythrill: (heehee :) )

It has been years since I watched the Walters interview, & I only remember a few things. The first being the INSIDE of her Roxbury house :D , & the other how the two times Gary spoke, when Lucy was talking about Desi, she really cut Gary down & immediately contradicted what he said. To the point that he just sat there meekly & didn't say another word until he was spoken to, if I remember right, as if he was afraid to have her do it again. I remember feeling embarrassed for him, that this was on tape for all the world to see -- Lucy bossing him around.

Interesting question about why she may have married Gary. I agree with Irene that it was a slow growing love. I think Desi offered her love & an unhappy, unfaithful, unstable marriage, whereas Gary offered her love & a happy, faithful, stable marriage.

Joyce, thanks for sharing your story about Lucy's hometown boyfriend Johnny with us! Very cool B) . With your lifelong Jamestown/Lucy connection, you should write a book. Oh wait -- you are! :lucythrill: (heehee :) )

It has been years since I watched the Walters interview, & I only remember a few things. The first being the INSIDE of her Roxbury house :D , & the other how the two times Gary spoke, when Lucy was talking about Desi, she really cut Gary down & immediately contradicted what he said. To the point that he just sat there meekly & didn't say another word until he was spoken to, if I remember right, as if he was afraid to have her do it again. I remember feeling embarrassed for him, that this was on tape for all the world to see -- Lucy bossing him around.

Interesting question about why she may have married Gary. I agree with Irene that it was a slow growing love. I think Desi offered her love & an unhappy, unfaithful, unstable marriage, whereas Gary offered her love & a happy, faithful, stable marriage.

The jury's still out whether Gary was faithful or not. He may just never have gotten caught and didn't do it as often as Desi did. :lucycoy:

Ok im going to say something that may sound a little mean but... here it goes. Everyone is always pointing out how Gary didn't drink to much and(as far as we know) didn't cheat on her. Whenever we are critical of him we go back to... well he was a source of stability! Seriously are we supposed to think well of him because of that? I mean its great that he didn't do these things because its how a marriage should be and its how you should treat your spouse. But many people don't drink to much and are faithful or attempt to be faithful to their spouse. Its not like Gary was doing heavy duty labor. I just don't see it as a great accomplisment. I see it only as how your supposed to act and how many people try to live their lives. I don't think congradulations are in order for him.

Ok im going to say something that may sound a little mean but... here it goes. Everyone is always pointing out how Gary didn't drink to much and(as far as we know) didn't cheat on her. Whenever we are critical of him we go back to... well he was a source of stability! Seriously are we supposed to think well of him because of that? I mean its great that he didn't do these things because its how a marriage should be and its how you should treat your spouse. But many people don't drink to much and are faithful or attempt to be faithful to their spouse. Its not like Gary was doing heavy duty labor. I just don't see it as a great accomplisment. I see it only as how your supposed to act and how many people try to live their lives. I don't think congradulations are in order for him.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, he gave her some stability, she no longer had to worry about being embarrassed, he wasn't going to be caught in a whorehouse in Spanish town, he wasn't going to make passes at women at parties and be so drunk he'd slur his words, remember her saying how she hated having no social life as even going to a party with Desi would always turn into a disaster. At the end, not at the beginning of course. No more screaming matches, no more the Beverly Hills police dumping Desi at the side door and Hedda Hopper keeping it out of the papers. This guy was too boring to ever do anything that would make the papers. BUT, remember Rafayel's book, he clearly states that while on a business trip to London with gary, they were offered sex by this lady who had just brought down the British government, so gary said and I quote, are you kidding, what if Lucy finds out, can't they just give us blow jobs? Doesn't sound very faithful to me.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, he gave her some stability, she no longer had to worry about being embarrassed, he wasn't going to be caught in a whorehouse in Spanish town, he wasn't going to make passes at women at parties and be so drunk he'd slur his words, remember her saying how she hated having no social life as even going to a party with Desi would always turn into a disaster. At the end, not at the beginning of course. No more screaming matches, no more the Beverly Hills police dumping Desi at the side door and Hedda Hopper keeping it out of the papers. This guy was too boring to ever do anything that would make the papers. BUT, remember Rafayel's book, he clearly states that while on a business trip to London with gary, they were offered sex by this lady who had just brought down the British government, so gary said and I quote, are you kidding, what if Lucy finds out, can't they just give us blow jobs? Doesn't sound very faithful to me.

Not to mention the Bob Crane call girl story. :lucydaze:

As far as LUCILLE not saying I LOVE YOU to her children... Lucie hints at her relationship with her mother by saying in the Home Movie ... "There are no perfect families.. THERE AREN'T.. and because we are haunted by shows like The Donna Reed Show and Father Knows Best is no reason to believe everyone's family is like that...." Lucie wanted a good relationship with her mother (something she could get with her father) and seemed not to get it ... at least the way Lucie would have liked to get it.... (I sooo can relate...

This is hard to say; however, I've thought about it a LOT; and this is just my opinion: NO ONE KNOWS THEY ARE PART OF A DISFUNCTIONAL FAMILY UNTIL THEY ARE YEARS PAST THAT LIFE - adulthood, in other words. Hopefully, they learn enough by adulthood that the things they could not change in their own childhood, they learn to take care of for themselves and family in their adulthood. Those that don't learn as adults, I feel sorry for.

In comparing my own childhood, for instance, sitting down to meals together; getting good grades in school; having clean clothes; someone always home after school; home-cooked meals; learning to be respectful; knowing you're 'allowed' limits; having all childhood needs taken care of; learning you would always have to work for a living (someday); having 'idols' you looked up to; is not very much like todays' youth, is it? That's sad....

Lucille had 'little' stability; parents and grandparents worked; grandmother passed early on, as well; radical grampa was her daddy; she wanted excitement; went to the park early in life - she lived less than 1/2 mile from the park, about 6 short blocks - (everyone did in those days; it was 'neighborhood'; skating rink on site, as well) she met Johnny [this is partiially in reply to another question posted in this thread; so I shall combine my reply] early on; not only neighborhood boys went to the Park; the Italians sneaked into the Village (they had to; because there was one family of boys/men in Celoron who saw to it most Italians did NOT get into Celoron; there were many squabbles and outright fights, I'm told, trying to keep the Italians from Jamestown out (of the Village of Celoron) - which, in those days, Jamestown was made up of Italians and Swedish folk; some Irish, as well - - this was in the 20's, don't forget...

I'm sure Lucille fell heavily - she was exciting as a child; Johnny and his buddies were rough and radical, and exciting; she obviously stood out for him; he took her home to his parents; and then, it began. she was just into teens; and he was well into his late 20's, if not 30; Celoron, being a backward community of gossips and moral thermometers, called her terrible things for being with him; but, to his famly, she was another child; Italian families were VERY CLANNISH; they took her in lovingly. Obviously, I do not know if Johnny was her 'first'; but, he was her idol; her lover; her friend; her family; he bankrolled her trips to NYC to try to make it big; she DID, as we all know.

Thankfully, she outgrew him; I believed he died very young; she still kept seeing his family whenever she was here; they were part of her childhood; part of her adulthood, as well.

As far as the diary is concerned, it was in some p.r. I came across when researching early on (2/05), trying to find ONE THING PER DAY, for the Center's Website, which went up January 2006, after a year of MY searching; by that time, of course, I had TONS of things for some days; (and pages for other days) ; and I have to look for it; I feel it was in May of 1942; but, will look and post it when I find it.

Essentially, Lucille put up a War Bond for its safe return; another War Bond should it be returned intact (it had a lock on); and she had kept it since childhood (in the year 1942, she was 31); she had kept it daily; always had it with her; thinks she dropped it from her lap when she got out of her car at the Studio. I found nothing to suggest it had been returned. If it ever was, there would have been MUCH more in her book, and others written about her, I'm sure.

What Bob Crane call girl story?

Remember that book written by Sharon Thober who worked in the wardrobe department of the Lucy Shows? Bob Crane told her the story of Gary wanting a call girl around the time Lucy was shooting Yours, Mine and Ours. The call girl was so disgusted with what Gary wanted to do with her she told Bob she never wanted to deal with him again.

Remember that book written by Sharon Thober who worked in the wardrobe department of the Lucy Shows? Bob Crane told her the story of Gary wanting a call girl around the time Lucy was shooting Yours, Mine and Ours. The call girl was so disgusted with what Gary wanted to do with her she told Bob she never wanted to deal with him again.

That pamphlet is full of questionable anecdotes, such as the story about Steven Spielberg without using then name Steven Spielberg. lol

Totally forgot about that, so Lucy had two cheaters for hubbies then, the bastard!

That pamphlet is full of questionable anecdotes, such as the story about Steven Spielberg without using then name Steven Spielberg. lol

Although I will say that her story about Gary and the keyhole (I think that was from her story. I'll have to fire up my old computer to find it) makes me laugh every time I think about it.

I've heard a story or two about Gary being unfaithful (but I bet 'ya he behaved himself in the early years of their marriage or Lucy probably would have dropped him like a hot potato!)

So I will amend my response :lucythrill: :

"Gary offered her love & a happy, faithful, stable marriage. If ever he was unfaithful, he seems to be have been discrete enough to never publicly embarrass Lucy by flaunting it or getting caught."

She may have wondered, but I hope if it's true she never knew.

I've heard a story or two about Gary being unfaithful (but I bet 'ya he behaved himself in the early years of their marriage or Lucy probably would have dropped him like a hot potato!)

So I will amend my response :lucythrill: :

"Gary offered her love & a happy, faithful, stable marriage. If ever he was unfaithful, he seems to be have been discrete enough to never publicly embarrass Lucy by flaunting it or getting caught."

She may have wondered, but I hope if it's true she never knew.

I'm thinking she never knew. If she had, Gary would've been out on his ass. LOL

Archived