Does anyone here not like "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy"?

"The Lucy Show" is very much the 'bridge' series in that it links her former TV self with her later TV self. It starts out in B&W, with Vivian Vance, and takes place on the east coast. Then we got the gradual shift into colour, and the merging of Gale Gordon into the mix. Then by season four, it was on the west coast, aired in colour, no Viv and kids, and Gale full time.

It's basically half and half of "I Love Lucy" and "Here's Lucy".

I found it interesting that TLS wasn't intended to go beyond one season; it was meant to entice CBS to buy Desilu product. Bob & Madelyn & the two Bobs, therefore, didn't really create a premise meant to carry a long lasting series. They did an admirable job continuing it once it was renewed, but with just a few minor tweaks and a better effort of the later writers, the series could've been much stronger than it was. As it is, I find TLS brilliant in the little things, in the moment, but lacking the bigger picture that made I Love Lucy so exciting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Love Lucy is my favorite of Lucy's series, followed by the first season (maybe 2 & 3 also, because of Viv)) of TLS, then HL. I think one of the main reasons is the continuity of the characters & their lives on ILL. There were adventures at home, across the US, across Europe, & then all of them made the big move to the country.

In TLS, it was fun to explore the dynamic of Lucy, Viv & their kids sharing a home, but the writers seemed to quickly phase out the family aspect & all the scenarios they could have written for that. By season 3 the kids were gone, & so was Viv, yet the series continued for 3 more years. I also think some of Lucy's best work in both series included scenes with Vivian, & it was sad to see her go.

In HL there is the same continuity problem with the kids disappearing. One the reasons HL is my least favorite is that Lucy whining, & especially Lucy arguing with Gale Gordon, had gotten annoying. When a young Lucy Ricardo whined & argued you smiled & thought it was cute. When a 60 plus year old woman is still doing the same thing it came across, to me anyway, as unbelievable & not an age appropriate way for her character to act.

In terms of quality I think ILL is the best. Both TLS & HL had some really wonderful episodes, but the lack of continuity & repetition of plots, & poor quality of some of the scripts (I had to fast forward Lucy & Gale arguing in the HL jungle episode -- awful!) detracted from the TLS & HL for me.

I thought many of her hairstyles were flattering. Can't place one in particular as my favorite look, though I always liked how she looked when a scene called for her to look really dressed up, like when she was going on dates.

Gary? I don't like dishonest people & I really struggle with believing his claim that when he met Lucy he had never seen ANY of the ILL episodes & didn't know who she was.

I really wish Lucy & Desi could have worked things out & enjoyed their old age & all their accomplishments together.

I also couldn't agree with you more and as much as I am PRO Gary (probably the only person in this forum), I do also think it's strange that he said he did not know who she was or had seen any ILL episodes.

I also couldn't agree with you more and as much as I am PRO Gary (probably the only person in this forum), I do also think it's strange that he said he did not know who she was or had seen any ILL episodes.

Gary was being sarcastic I think. He had to have heard who she was and must've caught at least one or two ILL episodes. It was just a cute story that they liked to tell.

Hey, dun't you outPro gary me, i wanted him as a regular as her boyfrend on The Lucy show, so i did not dislike him UNTIL I read all those books and heard of the way he treated her. Which was much later on. As a matter of fact, i always wanted Brock to have a gary emoticon.

Hey, dun't you outPro gary me, i wanted him as a regular as her boyfrend on The Lucy show, so i did not dislike him UNTIL I read all those books and heard of the way he treated her. Which was much later on. As a matter of fact, i always wanted Brock to have a gary emoticon.

LMAO! God that did make me laugh - yeah, strange she didn't have him as her regular boyfriend and where is the Gary emoticon!? :lucyhehe:

LMAO! God that did make me laugh - yeah, strange she didn't have him as her regular boyfriend and where is the Gary emoticon!? :lucyhehe:

You guys asked for it. Use it wisely, or it will be gone quicker than Gary on a golf trip.

"I'm Gary Morton and I approved this post. :gary:"

Okay... Let's see.. for the record.. I Love Lucy.. is in a class by itself... NOW.. If we are trying to save a studio and know some talented people who need a paycheck, let's capitalize on our fame and do another tv series.. The Lucy Show is (as someone mentioned) a great "bridge" series.. IT really is a good show on its own. I really like most of the episodes and even the ones I don't care for, I like watching HER. The quality of The Lucy Show is very good.. good sound, good camera shots (not always perfect, but good), good writting (most of the time).. but Here's Lucy has some echo in the sound.. like a filmed stage play or the microphones aren't placed right and some bad camera angles or even out of focus shots.. and definately less quality than The Lucy Show.. and don't get me started on the scripts for Here's Lucy.. just not at all a show I enjoy watching, sometimes Here's Lucy makes me sad and even mad at times since I can see how much better the show could be with a little tweeking... anyhow.. that's my opinion.

For me the Lucy show is my least favourite out the there main shows. I find Lucy Charmichael to schoolgirl like and she seems to do a lot of shouting in them which bugs me. . . episodes that stand out for this are baseball and Cleopatra. I still really enjoy the show but that's what takes the shine off it for me.

I couldn't agree more with practically everything you said, Viv, especially the very last comment. Wouldn't that have been something?? I always flash back to that brief scene in Lucie's documentary where they show new grandparents Lucy & Desi playing with Simon in the pool (and I'm still not clear but would love to know where that took place -- did Lucie's house at that time have a pool? Or where they all back together at Roxbury? Sigh....) and in what I perceived as a loving, "wifely" gesture, moved some wet hair out of Desi's face..... Priceless and how fortunate are we that such a private moment was shared. Wundaful! lucycoy.JPG

When I first saw that clip I teared up. If a person who knew nothing about those two people and that grandchild, their story, everything that happened, that person would more than likely say "Aw!". You can just see the love they had for each other in that video. One of THE best Lucy and Desi moments seen by the public. So damn cute.

I thought the writing on Here's Lucy was pretty good. Well the first season, I haven't seen 4 and 5 yet lol. The topics seemed to be pretty relevant to the time period. I really liked the first episode when she does the "flash mob-esque" dancing, the episode when the kids take her out to eat for her birthday, but don't have the money to pay and the Flip Wilson episode, where his character of "Prissy" was Madea like and truly hilarious!

In a nutshell, I think TLS was good in the first few seasons. But her move the LA and the abondoning of her kids/Viv's leaving was a bit confusing for me!

I thought the writing on Here's Lucy was pretty good. Well the first season, I haven't seen 4 and 5 yet lol. The topics seemed to be pretty relevant to the time period. I really liked the first episode when she does the "flash mob-esque" dancing, the episode when the kids take her out to eat for her birthday, but don't have the money to pay and the Flip Wilson episode, where his character of "Prissy" was Madea like and truly hilarious!

In a nutshell, I think TLS was good in the first few seasons. But her move the LA and the abondoning of her kids/Viv's leaving was a bit confusing for me!

Confusing maybe, but funnier as this opened up the plots for other things than family situations which were all over the tube at that time.

Confusing maybe, but funnier as this opened up the plots for other things than family situations which were all over the tube at that time.

CLAUDE: LMAO! When I first read this I thought you said YouTube and I thought "YouTube? I never knew that was available back then"

LFFL: How on earth did you make your font bigger? I have tried editing this post about 5 times now but it's not working!!!! :angry:

CLAUDE: LMAO! When I first read this I thought you said YouTube and I thought "YouTube? I never knew that was available back then"

LFFL: How on earth did you make your font bigger? I have tried editing this post about 5 times now but it's not working!!!! :angry:

Hi! Just highlight what you write and click on the "sizes" icon arrow at the top. I like mines to be at 4.

Back in MY DAY, they sometimes referred to TV as The Tube. As tv's used to have a BIG picture tube inside.

Back in MY DAY, they sometimes referred to TV as The Tube. As tv's used to have a BIG picture tube inside.

I used to think I didn't like The Lucy Show. Now that its been released on dvd, most of the episodes I've either never seen, or hardly remember.

Now I love it! Its been my favorite series that's been released in the past couple years.

I love Here's Lucy too, but I'm looking more forward to season 6 of TLS, a bit more than season 6 of Here's Lucy.

I used to think I didn't like The Lucy Show. Now that its been released on dvd, most of the episodes I've either never seen, or hardly remember.

Now I love it!

Great! Was your previous impression based on memories of seeing the show back in the day or just on the public domain episodes?

Now I love it! Its been my favorite series that's been released in the past couple years.

I love Here's Lucy too, but I'm looking more forward to season 6 of TLS, a bit more than season 6 of Here's Lucy.

Same here. But it WILL be nice to have her other two series now complete also.

Expect to wait! :lucyblah:

Not really, they've managed to include a lot of these gems on the various seasons of her shows already, compilations have been made of others, and i remember when they said The Lucy show and Here's Lucy would never come out and they did, then they said the same thing about her specials and they're almost all out now. Next step is a Lucy tribute dvd showing all her special awards and tributes. Then a special Lucy on quiz shows compilation, and then the Lucy interviews dvd, could happen you know! We certainly thought we'd never get to hear the Let's Talk to Lucy interviews and we're getting those also.

Archived