I Love Lucy DVD re-issue (Seasons 1-4 on Oct. 9) -- Cover Art!

Brock

Yeah, I found em too, and also the LDCH season that says "no image available" to be released November 6

It's odd -- The American Amazon has a release date for the "second wave" of DVDs as November 6, but Canadian Amazon is listed as October 30. Hmm...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I'm sort of surprised by this. Why the need to reissue the old sets? Are the old ones going out of print? A contract issue? Artwork looks alright...just a little weird especially when zoomed in so closely.

I can see people's frustrations with the complete series box set but these days, if I do watch ILL...I'm watching the entire series and not just episodes here and there. So I just remove the smaller DVD holder and leave it out until I finish the entire section that way I don't have to constantly put them back in the box etc...

I'm sure that will happen eventually, but that'll take a lot of work. Each episode having to be re-scanned and all new formatting done out for it. But I'm sure they'll want to put a lot of effort into it.

I don't agree that it will take alot of work. They just released almost every episode in HD (I believe 720P, maybe 1080P) on Itunes, so it couldn't be that much extra work to put those episodes on a blu-ray disc.

Interesting. I'm sort of surprised by this. Why the need to reissue the old sets? Are the old ones going out of print? A contract issue? Artwork looks alright...just a little weird especially when zoomed in so closely.

I can see people's frustrations with the complete series box set but these days, if I do watch ILL...I'm watching the entire series and not just episodes here and there. So I just remove the smaller DVD holder and leave it out until I finish the entire section that way I don't have to constantly put them back in the box etc...

No, I've heard several times that all the "Lucy" series are the number one seller at CBS. So they probably think all the fans will buy them all over again b/c of the new packaging, and hopefully new menus (crossing my fingers). Also, it will get better exposure as it will be on all the "newly released" stands in stores and online. Plus, those old ones are so outdated as I said before in previous posts- the TERRIBLE menus and bad cardboard packaging with those four extremely annoying little separate cases. The reason those menus are so terrible is because they were all designed designed in 2001-2002 at the beginning of the DVD uprising. I know that the DVD sets weren't released till 05'-06', but the individual season sets have the exact same menus as that original season 1 box set released around 2002 that had 9 different cases that were sold separately or together. (click HERE to see what I'm talking about) At least that is my take on it, sorry for bad wording, lol, I just woke up.

Yes, LDCH onwards Jonathan Angus has designed the menus.

Jonathan Angus is the brilliant mastermind behind the "Lucy Show" updated opening credits, taking the original format and souping it up. My favorite is what he did with season 2. I'll be interested to see what he does with season 6, since he already did that format in season 4.

Unless these are Blu-Ray, what's the draw of this re-issue if the old sets are still for sale as new?

I would only buy if they added new bonus features I could not resist.* And what could be left?

If these are not Blu-Ray, that will certainly be next.

I've already got 3 complete sets plus:

1. VHS off the air recordings of TBS's run. I dutifully set my VHS timer and got it every day for over 6 months.

2. VHS of Columbia House 3 episode-per-tape subscription Their attempt to group three episodes by category made it very difficult to find a specific episode, even more so when the inclusion of an episode into a specific category was a stretch.

3. DVD season release

Plus a smattering of episodes taped off the air at various times over the years.

I just can't seem to make myself throw my VHS tapes out. And those SIXTY Columbia House VHS's take up a lot of room.

*oh, who am I kidding? I have no Lucy sales resistance, but it's getting a little embarrassing.

And by the way: whatever happened to VBagley??

No, I've heard several times that all the "Lucy" series are the number one seller at CBS. So they probably think all the fans will buy them all over again b/c of the new packaging, and hopefully new menus (crossing my fingers). Also, it will get better exposure as it will be on all the "newly released" stands in stores and online. Plus, those old ones are so outdated as I said before in previous posts- the TERRIBLE menus and bad cardboard packaging with those four extremely annoying little separate cases. The reason those menus are so terrible is because they were all designed designed in 2001-2002 at the beginning of the DVD uprising. I know that the DVD sets weren't released till 05'-06', but the individual season sets have the exact same menus as that original season 1 box set released around 2002 that had 9 different cases that were sold separately or together. (click HERE to see what I'm talking about) At least that is my take on it, sorry for bad wording, lol, I just woke up.

Good to know. It's kinda sad that the studio will rely on Lucy fans to just blindly repurchase anything that's put in front of them but I guess that's how it works. So now both editions of the same season will be available..the old ones and now these reissues? That seems confusing for anyone looking to start their ILL DVD collection. Should we also expect a new reissue of the "Complete Series" box set too? I love the way mine looks...can't imagine it being bettered.

Good to know. It's kinda sad that the studio will rely on Lucy fans to just blindly repurchase anything that's put in front of them but I guess that's how it works. So now both editions of the same season will be available..the old ones and now these reissues? That seems confusing for anyone looking to start their ILL DVD collection. Should we also expect a new reissue of the "Complete Series" box set too? I love the way mine looks...can't imagine it being bettered.

I have a feeling they will only sell this issue now. They might just sell out of all the old editions and just make the new editions. idk, that's my guess, why would they sell two copies of the exact same thing at the same time?

Well those are horrible-looking covers! I have the individual season sets, and I love them. Perfect look. Don't have the big box, but didn't see a need for it, especially since the bonus disc was later released on its own and I bought it. However, hopefully the series will be released on Blu-ray soon, because it should look as astonishing as The Twilight Zone does.

Well those are horrible-looking covers! I have the individual season sets, and I love them. Perfect look. Don't have the big box, but didn't see a need for it, especially since the bonus disc was later released on its own and I bought it. However, hopefully the series will be released on Blu-ray soon, because it should look as astonishing as The Twilight Zone does.

It's just a matter of opinion, personally I love these covers. They just don't look great so zoomed in, if you zoom out they look much better. I personally like the design of the individual sets that are out now too, i just hate the packaging (cardboard outside and those 4 separate slim cases inside).

It's just a matter of opinion, personally I love these covers. They just don't look great so zoomed in, if you zoom out they look much better. I personally like the design of the individual sets that are out now too, i just hate the packaging (cardboard outside and those 4 separate slim cases inside).

I might consider replacing mine, if they're in slim cases, like The Lucy Show. It would free up alot of space. I never had a reason to buy the complete series boxed set. Besides, it was bulky and too hard to store. I wonder if they'll re-issue TLDCH.

I might consider replacing mine, if they're in slim cases, like The Lucy Show. It would free up alot of space. I never had a reason to buy the complete series boxed set. Besides, it was bulky and too hard to store. I wonder if they'll re-issue TLDCH.

Yeah, I really hope they are slim cases too, and yes they are going to re-issue TLDCH, if you're in the US it says November 6th. I don't really understand why they're going to re-issue TLDCH because it is actually well designed- slim case, with new menu designs and good picture. I guess it is only so they can keep the entire series under a consistent cover theme. :)

Jonathan Angus is the brilliant mastermind behind the "Lucy Show" updated opening credits, taking the original format and souping it up. My favorite is what he did with season 2. I'll be interested to see what he does with season 6, since he already did that format in season 4.

Unless these are Blu-Ray, what's the draw of this re-issue if the old sets are still for sale as new?

I would only buy if they added new bonus features I could not resist.* And what could be left?

If these are not Blu-Ray, that will certainly be next.

I've already got 3 complete sets plus:

1. VHS off the air recordings of TBS's run. I dutifully set my VHS timer and got it every day for over 6 months.

2. VHS of Columbia House 3 episode-per-tape subscription Their attempt to group three episodes by category made it very difficult to find a specific episode, even more so when the inclusion of an episode into a specific category was a stretch.

3. DVD season release

Plus a smattering of episodes taped off the air at various times over the years.

I just can't seem to make myself throw my VHS tapes out. And those SIXTY Columbia House VHS's take up a lot of room.

*oh, who am I kidding? I have no Lucy sales resistance, but it's getting a little embarrassing.

And by the way: whatever happened to VBagley??

Oh, I used to be VBagely. I changed it a little while back. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't know! Or did you know it was me and wondered about where my old name went?

Oh, I used to be VBagely. I changed it a little while back. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you didn't know! Or did you know it was me and wondered about where my old name went?

I suspected that might be you because the style was similar, but you might have at least had the decency to change it to something with Bunson or Jones.

After my last post, I looked at the new cheaper price of the sets, so I think these will have a better chance of selling in stores. I'm thinking of selling my old I Love Lucy tapes door to door and my pitch will start with me tossing a VHS tape into the middle of their living room.

I'm thinking of selling my old I Love Lucy tapes door to door and my pitch will start with me tossing a VHS tape into the middle of their living room.

:marionstrong: :marionstrong: :marionstrong:

According to Gregg Oppenheimer, the content on these re-releases is generally going to be the same. The exceptions are the Season 1 and "Seasons 7-8-9" sets. The new Season 1 set will include new, improved digitally re-mastered copies of the episodes and a digitally re-mastered version of The Pilot.

The "7-8-9" set will contain "brand-new transfers of newly-discovered uncut 35mm fine grain prints" meaning all sorts of goodies will be in the new edition including ... wait for it... the missing "strawberries" scene from The Celebrity Next Door! :lucywow:

This is a "You Know You Might Be Too Much of a Lucy Fan When..." moment, but... getting a little bit overjoyed thinking these new sets might be in the same kinds of cases as the TLS and HL sets and visualizing how awesome all three series will look on a shelf lined up side by side. LOL

No, kid, it's not just you....you were just the only one to say it out loud (so far)! ;)lucythrill.JPGmarionstrong.gif

I'm conflicted about this news: While I'm sort of a "completist" for things like this (series DVD releases) and thus far, I think I've bought every variation that's been put out there, I was kinda hoping the next trip to the well would be sparkling new HD releases on Blu-Ray! They're already releasing other older, classic series in that form, apparently to some success and for me, it means not only an even clearer, crisper picture, but half as many discs and twice as many episodes per! So...being the lame ass I am will probably buy them too but more because of the "I gotta have it or I'll miss them if I don't" mentality not so much that I really need 'em. Besides, the art work looks really cool, downright reminiscent of this board's very own most talented resident artiste, "Rickee". :D

I suspected that might be you because the style was similar, but you might have at least had the decency to change it to something with Bunson or Jones.

After my last post, I looked at the new cheaper price of the sets, so I think these will have a better chance of selling in stores. I'm thinking of selling my old I Love Lucy tapes door to door and my pitch will start with me tossing a VHS tape into the middle of their living room.

LOL! "Merbagjobunson" :)

And I'll be honest, I have something of a VHS fetish, so I'll buy a few off your hands if you want, haha.

:marionstrong: :marionstrong: :marionstrong:

According to Gregg Oppenheimer, the content on these re-releases is generally going to be the same. The exceptions are the Season 1 and "Seasons 7-8-9" sets. The new Season 1 set will include new, improved digitally re-mastered copies of the episodes and a digitally re-mastered version of The Pilot.

The "7-8-9" set will contain "brand-new transfers of newly-discovered uncut 35mm fine grain prints" meaning all sorts of goodies will be in the new edition including ... wait for it... the missing "strawberries" scene from The Celebrity Next Door! :lucywow:

Are you serious? So they found 35mm prints of all the network broadcast versions of LDCH? So all those 16mm deleted scenes on the first set are now going to be in the episodes themselves????

Archived