I Love Lucy DVD re-issue (Seasons 1-4 on Oct. 9) -- Cover Art!

Brock

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw in the Target ad for this week that the all 7 of the new I Love Lucy sets will be availible for $11.99 each. I may pick them all up along with (hopefully The Lucy Show Season 6) on Tuesday.

Yes, Target has struck an "exclusive" deal with CBS/Paramount, allowing them to sell Seasons 5, 6 and 7-8-9 a month early. They will have the entire set available tomorrow in most stores...

Yes, Target has struck an "exclusive" deal with CBS/Paramount, allowing them to sell Seasons 5, 6 and 7-8-9 a month early. They will have the entire set available tomorrow in most stores...

Do you have any knowledge of the release dates of Seasons 5, 6, and "7-8-9" in Canada? Some places have them listed as October 30, and others November 6.

Do you have any knowledge of the release dates of Seasons 5, 6, and "7-8-9" in Canada? Some places have them listed as October 30, and others November 6.

No, sorry... I'm guessing on the 6th to match the US release, but not sure...

I ran to the closest one to work at lunch today and am happy to report the shelf was packed with all seven volumes, currently on sale for $11.99 each, now through Saturday, October 13.

I went however for TLS and came out empty handed as they didn't have a single copy!! :lucydisgust:

It did my heart good though to see that lovely face -- however "comicized" for lack of a better word (that's a word??) filling those shelves as only she can! ;)

I ran to the closest one to work at lunch today and am happy to report the shelf was packed with all seven volumes, currently on sale for $11.99 each, now through Saturday, October 13.

I went however for TLS and came out empty handed as they didn't have a single copy!! :lucydisgust:

It did my heart good though to see that lovely face -- however "comicized" for lack of a better word (that's a word??) filling those shelves as only she can! ;)

Joe...

No "Lucy Show"s on this side of town either... I'm hoping they are waiting until next week, after the I LOVE LUCY sale is over...

Tjw

Exactly, the same with me!!!! I was more excited for TLS Season 6, which was not at Target, where I've picked up just about every other season!!! :lucydaze: (Isn't there a "MAD Lucy Face"??) Well--when I got home, I ordered it on Amazon, so hopefully, I'll have it in a few days.

I did pick up the new packaged ILL Seasons 1-6, which I like more than I though I would..!

This is more a release for those who've never bought the series before than an upgrade incentive for previous owners. It follows the new trend of packaging TV shows in slim cases rather than bulky boxes and may entice new consumers to get it.

I may upgrade eventually to save space, but frankly I don't think we should all be complaining. We've got the whole series on DVD to enjoy whenever we want, and maybe this way a few new folks will get it to. So there's no new content, we've got heaps as it is. It's beautiful new artwork, very eye catching, and I'm grateful for what we have :D

This is more a release for those who've never bought the series before than an upgrade incentive for previous owners. It follows the new trend of packaging TV shows in slim cases rather than bulky boxes and may entice new consumers to get it.

I may upgrade eventually to save space, but frankly I don't think we should all be complaining. We've got the whole series on DVD to enjoy whenever we want, and maybe this way a few new folks will get it to. So there's no new content, we've got heaps as it is. It's beautiful new artwork, very eye catching, and I'm grateful for what we have :D

I WISH I could frame that signature! IT Says every part of what I feel

Joe...

No "Lucy Show"s on this side of town either... I'm hoping they are waiting until next week, after the I LOVE LUCY sale is over...

Tjw

Maybe that's why... I've usually had good luck getting them @ Targay on release day....oh except one time when a very lovely, thoughtul fellow kindly handed me a copy of the lastest release at a very special event! ;)

"I will nevah forget it ya know?" :lucythrill:

That makes no sense whatsoever! :lucyhorror:

They always have Here's Lucy THERE, in stock, on the shelves, but you go to a clerk to order THE LUCY SHOW from them on the computah, and they get it THERE and call you to come pick it up, did that for season five and it went very well so i'm doing it again as they do not carry The Lucy Show THERE, comprende? Sorry i stated that in a Lucy Carmicheal sort of way i guess. Too many bad SPERIENCES ordering on line thru beau. So now i let the store handle it for moi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tom -- regarding the possibility of a blu ray release of LDCH, do you know if there would be any possibility of restoring the laugh track to the second act of Lucy Goes To Mexico, which was not included in the DVD release? Was there any reason (sound quality?) it wasn't included the first time around?

Tom -- regarding the possibility of a blu ray release of LDCH, do you know if there would be any possibility of restoring the laugh track to the second act of Lucy Goes To Mexico, which was not included in the DVD release? Was there any reason (sound quality?) it wasn't included the first time around?

Yes, the laugh track will be restored the next time around...

Hello Tom, awesome job on The Lucy Show dvds.. Are there any plans to release ILL in color.... Even a single disc releaswe would be great.

Not at the moment. Gregg Oppenheimer and I were just speaking about this yesterday. He's very much in favor of colorization, if only because younger viewers do not like Black-and-White shows, and networks in international markets (especially places like Japan) will not buy B&W programs...

Unfortunately, there is only one company left here in the Southern California area that even does colorization. It seems to be a dying art. The Scotland show and the grapes may be the last ones we get...

Will keep you updated if I hear anything more...

(THanks for the nice words about TLS. I loved working on them, and am so sorry there is not a Season Seven waiting in the wings!)

Not at the moment. Gregg Oppenheimer and I were just speaking about this yesterday. He's very much in favor of colorization, if only because younger viewers do not like Black-and-White shows, and networks in international markets (especially places like Japan) will not buy B&W programs...

Unfortunately, there is only one company left here in the Southern California area that even does colorization. It seems to be a dying art. The Scotland show and the grapes may be the last ones we get...

Will keep you updated if I hear anything more...

(THanks for the nice words about TLS. I loved working on them, and am so sorry there is not a Season Seven waiting in the wings!)

Colorization seems to be a very divisive issue, in particular for this show considered sacred to many TV viewers. What's your opinion on I Love Lucy being colorized, Tom? Are there conflicting opinions at CBS or with the Desilu estate?

I believe I've made my feelings on the subject well known on other threads so I'll keep mum :)

Colorization seems to be a very divisive issue, in particular for this show considered sacred to many TV viewers. What's your opinion on I Love Lucy being colorized, Tom? Are there conflicting opinions at CBS or with the Desilu estate?

I believe I've made my feelings on the subject well known on other threads so I'll keep mum :)

Personally, I do not see the need for colorization. I love the shows just the way they are...

But 6 years ago, when I was working on "Seasons 7, 8 & 9" (the hour shows), there was a young editor working with me, and one evening I asked him what his kids (ages 6 and 8) thought of "Lucy" and old B&W TV, and he stopped, thought a minute, and said, "I don't think they've ever seen it."

That's the problem. Youngsters today, who are born with a multi-color computer in their crib and a flat-screen TV in their homes, simply do not respond to B&W images... Some people have suggested they will "grow into it," essentially saying B&W TV is an acquired taste...

CBS wants the show to continue to (1) entertain the masses, and (2) make the corporation money. It does no one any good for it to wind up in a film vault someplace, never to be seen again...

Am not sure what the answer is...

Gregg Oppenheimer and I were just speaking about this yesterday. """""""""He's very much in favor of colorization""""""""", if only because younger viewers """""""""do not like Black-and-White shows""""""""", and networks in international markets (especially places like Japan) """""""will not buy B&W programs..."""""""

Put that in your outdated pipe, color foes! LOL! :peachonthebeach::lucymeh:

Personally, I see the need for colorization. I love the shows ...

But 6 years ago, when I was working on "Seasons 7, 8 & 9" (the hour shows), there was a young editor working with me, and one evening I asked him what his kids (ages 6 and 8) thought of "Lucy" and old B&W TV, and he stopped, thought a minute, and said, "I don't think they've ever seen it."

That's the problem. Youngsters today, who are born with a multi-color computer in their crib and a flat-screen TV in their homes, simply do not respond to B&W images... Some people have suggested they will "grow into it," essentially saying B&W TV is an acquired taste...

CBS wants the show to continue to (1) entertain the masses, and (2) make the corporation money. It does no one any good for it to wind up in a film vault someplace, never to be seen again...

I'm sure what the answer is...

Sorry about doctoring your previous post for highlights that just make sense, LOL!

Sorry about doctoring your previous post for highlights that just make sense, LOL!

But you also left the "not" out of my answer to Brian...

I said that I personally do NOT see the need for colorization... (but I understand why other people do)...

Bottom line: I don't think it's ever going to happen because the industry as a whole did not support the idea, and the companies that specialized in colorization have either ceased to exist or have moved on to another specialty.

Personally, I have always hated colorization, even back in the old days when movie companies colorized the lobby cards for B&W movies... The cards always looked cheap and washed out... I'd much rather see a beautiful B&W print anyday...

Although I do not like colourization, I am ultimately in favour of anything that gets ILL more airtime. That being said, they colourised the first two seasons of Bewitched and despite that effort, ILL still has much stronger legs in syndication.

Archived