Phyllis Diller

HarryCarter

Were losing alot of "90" year olds. Zsa Zsa still hanging in though!

And we've got the still-feuding Olivia deHavilland-Joan Fontainne sisters, who at 97 and 95, are so stubborn that they're re-enacting the last seen of "Lucy Plays Cleopatra" and emailing each other: "I am NOT going to die until YOU die." SEND....."Well, I am not going to die until YOU die!!" REPLY...

(It was reported recently that Olivia uses email).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the greatest, if not THE greatest, theme song/opening credit sequences ever....

written by the master Vic Mizzy ("Green Acres", "Addams Family"). I met Phyllis once and told her that. She agreed: "If only the show has been as good!". What is this logo in the corner "_uneTV"? I didn't realize this had ben run anywhere after its network airing.

And we've got the still-feuding Olivia deHavilland-Joan Fontainne sisters, who at 97 and 95, are so stubborn that they're re-enacting the last seen of "Lucy Plays Cleopatra" and emailing each other: "I am NOT going to die until YOU die." SEND....."Well, I am not going to die until YOU die!!" REPLY...

(It was reported recently that Olivia uses email).

ROFLMAO :marionstrong::lucythrill:

Wow... Who knew I had a Diller Timeline. These are photos that have never made facebook. I'll miss you, Phyllis. Thanks for the marvelous memories, the beautiful artwork we have in prominent places in our home and, of course, for all the guffaws. That laugh, that will sound in my mind for always. Bless you. ♥

post-71-020721600 1345562325_thumb.jpg

70 year old Phyllis looks absolutely great in this Bob Hope Show from 1987. She made no secret of her cosmetic surgery but this is such a different (younger) look, I wonder if she had had something done recently.

In re-watching this corny skit (and Lucy and Bob bantering then singing "I Remember it Well") I am surprised how GREAT Lucy is. Very poised and completely on top of her material--the corny punchlines expertly timed, not over-relying on cue cards, and putting much more spontaneity into her reactions to Hope's quips than he had a right to expect---in a way that she wasn't (always) on Life with Lucy or Password earlier that same season. This and her last wonderful hurrah the next year "Comedy is No Joke" are probably the best things she did in the 80s---looking younger and better than in "Moves to NBC".

bob_hope_12.jpg

It's at times like these I really miss Larry King being on the air. He would have had a must-see show tonight featuring Rickles, Rivers, Newhart and all the other comedy greats to give Phyllis the send-off she deserves.

I've been thinking that too, with all the recent celebrity deaths. Especially Andy Griffith. That's what I don't like about Piers Morgan. I wish they picked someone that adhered to more of Larry King traditions.

I've been thinking that too, with all the recent celebrity deaths. Especially Andy Griffith. That's what I don't like about Piers Morgan. I wish they picked someone that adhered to more of Larry King traditions.

It's not just that, his pomposity drives me crazy, and that accent . . . but i will suffer through his show if he has a great guest which seldom happens. :lucydisgust:

"Our Own" Rick Carl poses by his Phyllis Diller art (Am I right that you did this, Rick?) (Left to right: Miss Diller (as we were instructed to call her), Mr. Carl (as we were instructed to call him)

ricspic.jpg

Phyllis's house

PDHouse.jpg

Is Phyllis looking to the heavens for help? Or is that her cue to call security? Just because I keep repeating over and over again "Miss Diller, I've just got to talk to you."

DSC00434.jpg

Phyllis's dress rack

PDDresses.jpg

Her "vigs" (as Eva would say)

PDWigs.jpg

Me and another Phyllis portrait

PDportrait.jpg

Portrait of Lucy in Phyllis's house

LucyPort2.jpg

Lucy and Phyllis. It's a wonder she never had her on Here's Lucy. Maybe a cameo as she surprised Jim Bailey and Lucie by joining in the "Fever" number.

LucyPD2.jpg

And this curiosity. I'm dying to know what transpired between "PD" and Hugh O'Brien (star of a TV western --Wyatt Earp?, I think)

Hugh.jpg

Example of Phyllis's art for sale that day, many of which looked like an elephant sailing a houseboat. (But HEY, I'm no art critic!)

PDArt.jpg

"Our Own" Rick Carl poses by his Phyllis Diller art (Am I right that you did this, Rick?) (Left to right: Miss Diller (as we were instructed to call her), Mr. Carl (as we were instructed to call him)

ricspic.jpg

Yep, guilty. I was pleased to learn that she liked the caricature and hung it in her upstairs office. She told me that I made her too pretty. (I replied, "I draw them as I see them!" Think she was pleased.)

The house rules (per Madame D herself) that if you were over 60, you were allowed to call her Phyllis. Under...you were asked to call her Miss Diller! (All tongue in cheek of course.)

Being allowed complete access in her home (except her private quarters) on many occasions at these art parties was wonderful. She was a very nice, down-to-earth lovely and talented woman. She also happened to be a pioneer, hugely entertaining, extremely bright and devastatingly funny right up until the end.

How lucky were all of us that she was in this world?

RIP, Miss D.

The house rules (per Madame D herself) that if you were over 60, you were allowed to call her Phyllis.

I was wondering why you got to call her Phyllis and I didn't.

The picture almost looks like your (extremely long)right arm is tatooed to match the wallpaper.

ricspic.jpg

Phyllis's house

PDHouse.jpg

Is Phyllis looking to the heavens for help? Or is that her cue to call security? Just because I keep repeating over and over again "Miss Diller, I've just got to talk to you."

DSC00434.jpg

Phyllis's dress rack

PDDresses.jpg

Her "vigs" (as Eva would say)

PDWigs.jpg

Me and another Phyllis portrait

PDportrait.jpg

Portrait of Lucy in Phyllis's house

LucyPort2.jpg

Lucy and Phyllis. It's a wonder she never had her on Here's Lucy. Maybe a cameo as she surprised Jim Bailey and Lucie by joining in the "Fever" number.

LucyPD2.jpg

And this curiosity. I'm dying to know what transpired between "PD" and Hugh O'Brien (star of a TV western --Wyatt Earp?, I think)

Hugh.jpg

Example of Phyllis's art for sale that day, many of which looked like an elephant sailing a houseboat. (But HEY, I'm no art critic!)

PDArt.jpg

OMG Neil, (i'm over sixty) so i can call you that, these pioctures are to die for!!!!! Beautiful pics of her home and that Lucy autographed pic is awesome.

Archived