Phyllis Diller

HarryCarter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me as i am no art expert but just as some of those pictures are beautiful, others look like they were done by a four year old child. Her home is just beautiful though.

Second that; add: STUNNING! But, too dark! I gotta have lots of light!!!! Anyone know for sure if she and Lucille were really good friends, or just loving acquaintances.....????

Forgive me as i am no art expert but just as some of those pictures are beautiful, others look like they were done by a four year old child.

As always self-deprecating Phyllis herself might say: "Yeah, I did this one when I overshot with my eyebrow pencil. AH-HA!!"

Joan Rivers has a nice tribute piece to Phyllis in this weeks Entertainment Weekly, and she also mentionef her at the end of Fashion Police this week.

Yeah, saw the one at the end of Fashion Police, Joan seemed genuinely choked up, really nice. She spoke very well of Lucy also when she passed on. I'll have to take a gander at Entertainment Weekly downtown tomorrow. Was shocked to see that clip of Phyllis at Barbra Streisand's American Film Institute tribute. She comes out to the ritzy Hollywood superstars and says, YOU'RE THINKING TWO THINGS, RIGHT? I THOUGHT SHE WAS DEAD, AND WHAT THE HELL IS SHE DOING HERE? Seems she used to do GIGS at the Bonsoir with Babs back in their early days and they really loved each other. Babs looked genuinely moved by her being there.

Babs looked genuinely moved by her being there.

The last thing Babs genuinely moved were her bowels. :lucythrill: (I kid. That's great that she was moved by Phyl's presence.)

Looking at the photos posted above, what was the price range for the things Phyllis was selling? Some of the art looks to be in the low hundreds, ranging through the thousands, And the average prices of her costumes and wigs? Rick, you bought a pair of her boots, right?

The last thing Babs genuinely moved were her bowels. :lucythrill: (I kid. That's great that she was moved by Phyl's presence.)

Looking at the photos posted above, what was the price range for the things Phyllis was selling? Some of the art looks to be in the low hundreds, ranging through the thousands, And the average prices of her costumes and wigs? Rick, you bought a pair of her boots, right?

Her wigs, costumes, etc. were NOT for sale, it's just that most of her house was open during these "art parties" and you could wander all over the house -- except for her "private quarters" (bedrooms) upstairs -- which included her infamous Red Kitchen and the rooms in which she painted, stored her costumes, wigs, etc. It was quite wonderfully unusual to have such access! lucythrill.JPG

Her wigs, costumes, etc. were NOT for sale, it's just that most of her house was open during these "art parties" and you could wander all over the house -- except for her "private quarters" (bedrooms) upstairs -- which included her infamous Red Kitchen and the rooms in which she painted, stored her costumes, wigs, etc. It was quite wonderfully unusual to have such access! lucythrill.JPG

Ah. In Neil's photo of the dress rack it looked like at least one article had a price tag. I guess that was something yet to be worn then? LOL

Miss Diller had framed prints of her sayings and a few other choice pieces of art that started at $100. The average price of "originals" (which they were; she was very prolific) ranged from $200-350 all the way up to $10,000 and more. And yes, impulsively, I did buy a pair of her iconic boots at one time. She thought it was hoot when she decided to sign the bottom of each shoe...and glad she did! Her art parties were delightful, successful and she was always present to meet, greet, sign the back of the framed items and pose for pictures. She truly was a wonderful lady.

Actually, Joe all of the clothes on the rack WERE for sale. They all had price tags on them and were there for the buying. The more iconic ones were already sent to the Smithsonian so of course they were not there. The wall of wigs was basically a display but if you really wanted to buy one, it could be arranged. A friend of mine not only bought a wig but some of the outrageous dresses and some of the costume jewelry she had laid out. Totally agree about the access throughout the home. It was completely unusual and she was truly one-of-a-kind!

Her art parties were delightful, successful and she was always present to meet, greet, sign the back of the framed items and pose for pictures. She truly was a wonderful lady.

Actually, Joe all of the clothes on the rack WERE for sale. They all had price tags on them and were there for the buying. The more iconic ones were already sent to the Smithsonian so of course they were not there. The wall of wigs was basically a display but if you really wanted to buy one, it could be arranged. A friend of mine not only bought a wig but some of the outrageous dresses and some of the costume jewelry she had laid out. Totally agree about the access throughout the home. It was completely unusual and she was truly one-of-a-kind!

OMG I didn't even realize!! I thought they were just part of the rooms left open to "visitors"! I feel like such a boob! lucyeww.JPG

In your earlier post, you showed that incredibly beautiful Lucy picture on the wall, was Lucy among the piano pics also? And the left one with Phyllis and the Reagans, who was Phyllis with that night?

These show off my favorite rooms of her home, the one with the grand piano with pictures on top and her office, where the lovely framed portrait of her hung over the fireplace. Well, there's the Red Kitchen too.... and I don't even care for red, but somehow it "worked"! ;)

Yes Zsa Zsa is still with us, as is Betty, Mickey Rooney and Luise Rainer at age 102 (The Good Earth) first actress to win the Academy Award two years in a row

Don't forget Carol Channing, Nanette Fabray, Rose Marie, Audrey Totter, and the beautiful 1930's leading lady Mary Carlisle who costarred in "Dance Girl Dance" with Lucy" who turned 100 a few months ago. Film noir icon Lizabeth Scott who starred with Lucy in "Easy Living" turns 90 next month.

Not ninety but well on the back side of 80 gals include June Lockhart, Elaine Stritch, Kaye Ballard, Lauren Bacall, and Janet Waldo.

Don't forget Carol Channing, Nanette Fabray, Rose Marie, Audrey Totter, and the beautiful 1930's leading lady Mary Carlisle who costarred in "Dance Girl Dance" with Lucy" who turned 100 a few months ago. Film noir icon Lizabeth Scott who starred with Lucy in "Easy Living" turns 90 next month.

Not ninety but well on the back side of 80 gals include June Lockhart, Elaine Stritch, Kaye Ballard, Lauren Bacall, and Janet Waldo.

And dun't forget Olivia and Joan.

Archived