Lucy's back on ABC, Sunday night with Viv.

C L A U D E

Seems like lately if Lucy is getting beat out on one of these types of shows it's always by Seinfeld.

Didn't see this show but am honestly not surprised Seinfeld won. I'll bet I Love Lucy was one of the very few b&w shows in the running, if not the only one, a lot of "younger people" just cannot sit still for something not in color. Too, Seinfeld has snob appeal with the aura of being (inaccurately IMO) highbrow so it makes people feel they are superior to like it. I personally feel it's appeal will fall more and more as the years go by not unlike All in the Family and M*A*S*H as some new snob favorite comes along. (I also hate it that shows like this seem to penalize genuinely funny shows like The Beverly Hillbillies because they were popular with the masses and never critical darlings even when they were sharper and indeed smarter than many of the "acclaimed" series.)

This reminds how Lucy often came in #2 behind Johnny Carson as the greatest tv star in the last years of his life but now I don't think many would put him above her (and certainly not when Lucy was still around).

Didn't see this show but am honestly not surprised Seinfeld won. I'll bet I Love Lucy was one of the very few b&w shows in the running, if not the only one, a lot of "younger people" just cannot sit still for something not in color. Too, Seinfeld has snob appeal with the aura of being (inaccurately IMO) highbrow so it makes people feel they are superior to like it. I personally feel it's appeal will fall more and more as the years go by not unlike All in the Family and M*A*S*H as some new snob favorite comes along. (I also hate it that shows like this seem to penalize genuinely funny shows like The Beverly Hillbillies because they were popular with the masses and never critical darlings even when they were sharper and indeed smarter than many of the "acclaimed" series.)

This reminds how Lucy often came in #2 behind Johnny Carson as the greatest tv star in the last years of his life but now I don't think many would put him above her (and certainly not when Lucy was still around).

I know exactly what you mean. Plus Seinfeld is on CONSTANTLY, along with Friends! Other newer comedies like How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory follow in hat also. I have nothing against any of these comedies they are all good but compared to classic comedy especially Lucy? No! I would choose any classic comedy than those and I am 19! This generation just needs to be open minded and get away from reality TV!

OMG that is so true about carson, that one riled me even more than the seinfeld thing, LOL! I agree about what you said about snob appeal, seinfeld's show about masturbation, what a class act! As for Hillbillies, i googled the top 100 shows of all time with the Neilsen ratings and you wouldn't believe how many more Hillbillies eps made it than that stinking seinfeld, LOL! :lucydisgust:

I know exactly what you mean. Plus Seinfeld is on CONSTANTLY, along with Friends! Other newer comedies like How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory follow in hat also. I have nothing against any of these comedies they are all good but compared to classic comedy especially Lucy? No! I would choose any classic comedy than those and I am 19! This generation just needs to be open minded and get away from reality TV!

I cannot for the life of me get the appeal of How i met your mother, the stars are great but the show sucks funny wise, i bought seasons one and two but couldn't even get through them, ended up giving them away.

I cannot for the life of me get the appeal of How i met your mother, the stars are great but the show sucks funny wise, i bought seasons one and two but couldn't even get through them, ended up giving them away.

I only like one episode of HIMYM honestly.

But I just got done watching the special. Very well put together but they missed on a lot of great TV duos. Andy and Barney, Wally and Beaver, Endora and Samantha, Mary and Rhoda, Dorothy and Sophia, Gilligan and Skipper, and most importantly Lucy and Ricky. In the Lucy and Viv segment they did mention Lucy and Ricky but still! But other than that the Lucy and Viv segment was very nice and even featured a TLS picture! Even though it was just on Lucy and Ethel.

Number 2?! Lucy and Viv are THE dynamic duo! They started it all! I like Seinfeld but really, they didn't deserve the number 1 spot, they honestly didn't deserve to be in the top ten. I would have put Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally (from Will and Grace) before Seinfeld. But I do have to defend How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory :) These are two of my favorites out of our generation, but they still don't compare to most classics. I will admit, I wasn't into either show until this year, and even then I had to start from the pilots to see what was so funny. I'm weird like that though, I always like to go back to the beginning to create sort of a bond with the characters. Lucy, however, I bonded with immediately! I didn't have to start from scratch with her, but who would. :peachonthebeach:

Number 2?! Lucy and Viv are THE dynamic duo! They started it all! I like Seinfeld but really, they didn't deserve the number 1 spot, they honestly didn't deserve to be in the top ten. I would have put Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally (from Will and Grace) before Seinfeld. But I do have to defend How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory :) These are two of my favorites out of our generation, but they still don't compare to most classics. I will admit, I wasn't into either show until this year, and even then I had to start from the pilots to see what was so funny. I'm weird like that though, I always like to go back to the beginning to create sort of a bond with the characters. Lucy, however, I bonded with immediately! I didn't have to start from scratch with her, but who would. :peachonthebeach:

Oh don't get me wrong, there HAS to be something great about How i met your mother for it to have lasted this long, i just cannot get into it. As for Big Bang, now THAT's a show, it's just that i have the first four seasons, watch marathons of them every few months on tv and see the show three times a day, so of course, i find the humor repetitive and sometimes annoying, i'm od'ing on it. :lucythrill:

Oh don't get me wrong, there HAS to be something great about How i met your mother for it to have lasted this long, i just cannot get into it. As for Big Bang, now THAT's a show, it's just that i have the first four seasons, watch marathons of them every few months on tv and see the show three times a day, so of course, i find the humor repetitive and sometimes annoying, i'm od'ing on it. :lucythrill:

I don't think HIMYM has anything great about it, there have been plenty of mediocre sitcoms that lasted for years either due to timeslots, light competition, network, etc. Look at Growing Pains, Who's The Boss, That 70's Show, and other junk that was on for years. A lot of sitcoms succeed because many people want something uncomplicated to watch while they unwind, it's not most of them love those shows like a favorite. I don't think many people even who know the actors on HIMYM are other than Neil Patrick Harris and he's better known outside of the show rather than being on it.

The special was boring. I had to sit through most of it to get to Lucy and Vivian. I stopped watching after that. No Mary and Rhoda or Maude and Walter or Rose and Dorothy.

I guess they were aiming to appeal to a bigger audience by including people normal fans would never think of including.

I don't think HIMYM has anything great about it, there have been plenty of mediocre sitcoms that lasted for years either due to timeslots, light competition, network, etc. Look at Growing Pains, Who's The Boss, That 70's Show, and other junk that was on for years. A lot of sitcoms succeed because many people want something uncomplicated to watch while they unwind, it's not most of them love those shows like a favorite. I don't think many people even who know the actors on HIMYM are other than Neil Patrick Harris and he's better known outside of the show rather than being on it.

I LIKE all the actors on How i met your mother, they're all great, BUT i guess the show to me is just not engaging. Look, i was a fan of Wings, which ran for like nine years, a long time ago, and nobody but me found the show any good. You're right, i watched it as nothing else better was on when it aired.

Archived