2012 Kennedy Center Honorees Announced

HarryCarter

O M G are you serious? I had no idea they only gave it O N L Y four times to T V stars. But didn't they give it to many more stars who had starred in their own tv shows over the years but became huge stars in movies or on Broadway? So, although they were tv stars, they got it in another catagory? I certainly agree about the great Dick Van Dyke and i'm aware you have been one to acknowledge his huge talents over the years, but you're right and he certainly should be before he exits this world.... I can think of many more names that should be considered... Mary Tyler Moore and Betty White among many others.

I am surprised they haven't given it to Mary Tyler Moore yet but I think we can sadly forget about this snot-nosed crowd ever honoring Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, Carol Channing, or any other much beloved, unpretentious talents adored by the masses, or any star born before 1935 for that matter.

I am surprised they haven't given it to Mary Tyler Moore yet but I think we can sadly forget about this snot-nosed crowd ever honoring Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, Carol Channing, or any other much beloved, unpretentious talents adored by the masses, or any star born before 1935 for that matter.

Why do you say that? I can see all of those named being on their future lists of winners, they are all very deserving and frankly they are running out of names to get this great honor. Let them stop giving it to the young Oprahs and give it to worthy winners who are about to leave us shortly.

Exactly. That's why I think it is too early for David Letterman. I know he's 65, but he's still very active. The Kennedy Center has only honored four people from TV - Lucy, Johnny Carson, Bill Cosby, and Oprah. I think it should be someone like Dick Van Dyke (winner of a Tony, Grammy, and five Emmys). I know I always say this, but he's someone whose name always comes up when people talk about Kennedy Center omissions.

Exactly. Why isn't Betty White, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, even Mickey Rooney etc on this list of honorees? I never will understand this. They have made such an impact for so many people and pioneers in TV, broadway and film!

But they did include Lucy. The biggest impact of them all!

Exactly. Why isn't Betty White, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, even Mickey Rooney etc on this list of honorees? I never will understand this. They have made such an impact for so many people and pioneers in TV, broadway and film!

But they did include Lucy. The biggest impact of them all!

Angela Lansbury received hers years ago. Betty, Mary and Dick certainly deserve them too!

Why do you say that? I can see all of those named being on their future lists of winners, they are all very deserving and frankly they are running out of names to get this great honor. Let them stop giving it to the young Oprahs and give it to worthy winners who are about to leave us shortly.

They haven't given this award to actress born before 1930 (other than Julie Harris and Lansbury who were honored surely for their stage work rather than movies or tv) since 1998 when Shirley Temple received it. Look at who has won in the last twelve years, basically nobody who was active pre-1960. They give to people from the "serious arts" (opera, ballet, classical music, dramatic theatre) because that's who they really want to honor - and to pop music acts and fairly contemporary movie stars for the ratings. But someone who is older and important to television history or motion pictures but who would not be a big draw with today's general public, forget it. Not going to happen. Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, Carol Channing, Olivia De Havilland, et al. - all of them are years past the average lifespan and the Kennedy Center is well aware of the limited time left to honor these older artists so it's pretty clear they just don't want to do it.

I'm not knocking any of the receiptents just that the Kennedy Center is quite blatant with it's lack of respect for truly veteran performers. And all this honoring people who are in their sixties now makes me wonder who they could possibly give it to ten or twenty years from now.

2000 — Mikhail Baryshnikov, Chuck Berry, Plácido Domingo, Clint Eastwood, and Angela Lansbury

2001 — Julie Andrews, Van Cliburn, Quincy Jones, Jack Nicholson, and Luciano Pavarotti

2002 — James Earl Jones, James Levine, Chita Rivera, Paul Simon, and Elizabeth Taylor

2003 — James Brown, Carol Burnett, Loretta Lynn, Mike Nichols, and Itzhak Perlman

2004 — Warren Beatty, Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee, Elton John, Joan Sutherland, and John Williams

2005 — Tony Bennett, Suzanne Farrell, Julie Harris, Robert Redford and Tina Turner

2006 — Zubin Mehta, Dolly Parton, Smokey Robinson, Steven Spielberg, and Andrew Lloyd Webber

2007 — Leon Fleisher, Steve Martin, Diana Ross, Martin Scorsese, and Brian Wilson

2008 — Morgan Freeman, George Jones, Barbra Streisand, Twyla Tharp, and Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey

2009 — Mel Brooks, Dave Brubeck, Grace Bumbry, Robert De Niro, and Bruce Springsteen

2010 — Merle Haggard, Jerry Herman, Bill T. Jones, Paul McCartney and Oprah Winfrey

2011 — Barbara Cook, Neil Diamond, Yo-Yo Ma, Sonny Rollins and Meryl Streep

2012 — Buddy Guy, Dustin Hoffman, Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant), David Letterman and Natalia Makarova

• 7 months later...

The Kennedy Center Honors has changed the nomination process and is accepting nominatIons from the general public! :D

http://www.kennedy-c...levents/honors/

I'm nominating Dick Van Dyke. His good pal Chita Rivera is on the eight person committee overseeing this, so I hope it works.

Thank you very much for posting this and the link. I decided to vote for Dick Van Dyke too even I though I want to also see Carol Channing and Betty White get this honor and he's younger than them but he might have the best chance since often only one woman receives it each year and anyway Betty will still be around working on her newest sitcom in 2027 so she's got lots other chances.

Archived