Miss Ball's Make up

Annaleigh

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her only saving grace was that he was a master make-up artist; because, in my opinion, her face is 'character' rather than beauty.

That was catty, I know; but, details about Hal King and Tomlin, please.

Yes mam! He made her up so beautifully and made her into such a character! Really knew how to use make up!

She probably started shaving them on a daily basis or waxing them off completely in the late 50s and on when she was transitioning into a new brow look. Then maybe they started to not grow back.

A while ago, back in the old Lounge, I did a big post on this lolol It was fun

but most of all, I love how the face of Lucy made so many changes, all accomplished with make up.

And to have the look work for her in many ways was very delightful and brilliant of her.

Hirschfeld spoke once of the comediennes of the hey day, and the stars, having a LOOK and owning,

knowing their look. Groucho and his eye brows. Ed Wynn and his glasses. Imogene Coca and the expression.

They all invented their look. I think Lucy knew of her look.

Regarding the eyebrows, I know she says her eye brows never grew back, but she maybe meant, they never grew back fully.

I think she shaves them in the early years, they grow back in the 40s. She trims them to fit her look till the 60s.

Then I think she cuts em a little to have control of the arch she draws on.

By Mame, and a little after, I think she shaves them off completely, and I never saw hair on her brow in the 80s, besides the false ones she wears on an evening out, or the ones she wore in Stone Pillow, and in

some photo sets she did for LWL. Others say, these aren't false, but are Lucy's. Funny how her brow goes up into her forehead in the early mid 80s, and by 88-89

they are at normal level. Some say they were completely gone and make up tricks were used to look like hair ,and were not "baby toupees"

Applying the shape of the brow on the head and then making darker hair like brushes within that brow shape.

oooo i love talking about LUCYS MAKE UP.ugh!!!! i cant get enough

A while ago, back in the old Lounge, I did a big post on this lolol It was fun

but most of all, I love how the face of Lucy made so many changes, all accomplished with make up.

And to have the look work for her in many ways was very delightful and brilliant of her.

Hirschfeld spoke once of the comediennes of the hey day, and the stars, having a LOOK and owning,

knowing their look. Groucho and his eye brows. Ed Wynn and his glasses. Imogene Coca and the expression.

They all invented their look. I think Lucy knew of her look.

Regarding the eyebrows, I know she says her eye brows never grew back, but she maybe meant, they never grew back fully.

I think she shaves them in the early years, they grow back in the 40s. She trims them to fit her look till the 60s.

Then I think she cuts em a little to have control of the arch she draws on.

By Mame, and a little after, I think she shaves them off completely, and I never saw hair on her brow in the 80s, besides the false ones she wears on an evening out, or the ones she wore in Stone Pillow, and in

some photo sets she did for LWL. Others say, these aren't false, but are Lucy's. Funny how her brow goes up into her forehead in the early mid 80s, and by 88-89

they are at normal level. Some say they were completely gone and make up tricks were used to look like hair ,and were not "baby toupees"

Applying the shape of the brow on the head and then making darker hair like brushes within that brow shape.

oooo i love talking about LUCYS MAKE UP.ugh!!!! i cant get enough

You sure do, but as Arte Johnson once said . . .VERY INTERESTING!

You sure do, but as Arte Johnson once said . . .VERY INTERESTING!

lol your right. I LOVE IT! One thing I have gotten to appreciate it your image of her in the 60s.

When she really stood tall and thee queen of comedy, in her prime, appreciated and a SUPER STAR.

I remember you saying that for years and years, and her look had a way of changing too.

This HIGH hair, the upside down v-shaped eye brows. The thick lips. the thick eye make up, and the thin tall

svelte look of the 60s gives her this statuesque image.

lol your right. I LOVE IT! One thing I have gotten to appreciate it your image of her in the 60s.

When she really stood tall and thee queen of comedy, in her prime, appreciated and a SUPER STAR.

I remember you saying that for years and years, and her look had a way of changing too.

This HIGH hair, the upside down v-shaped eye brows. The thick lips. the thick eye make up, and the thin tall

svelte look of the 60s gives her this statuesque image.

Even on ILL, you saw her go from the frowsy housewife to the sophisticated star's wife by the time they got to Hollywood. She looked elegant in that black lace outfit meeting Holden, so much so that even with a fake putty nose, she still looked sensational. ON the first years of The Lucy Show, again she looked like your average housewife, but in her private life, she BECAME The Queen of Television, she looked positively REGAL. So sophisticated, yet still humble. The pic from my avatar is a perfect example, beautiful, elegant, sophisticated and her signature LOOK was so evident. The flaming RED hair, the painted on brows, the long false eyelashes, the prominent cheeks, the smallish nose and those famous BOW lips. It even kept going down to her long manicured nails, not grotesque like Streisand's, just elegant and long enough and then it went down futher to the long slim showgirl type legs, that like Dietrich, kept going till a month before she passed on, at the Oscars. If she smiled she took decades off her age, if there was a camera or fans, the glow that came from her lit up any room she was in.

If you wanna see someone NOT wearing make up, and at age 88 yet, the most horrific pic of Lauren Bacall is shown on the Greg in Holywood site, scary stuff, Friday the 13th and Halloween weren't as scary as that pic is! I admire her NERVE in showing herself like that, but it sorta ruins the movie star image.

If you wanna see someone NOT wearing make up, and at age 88 yet, the most horrific pic of Lauren Bacall is shown on the Greg in Holywood site, scary stuff, Friday the 13th and Halloween weren't as scary as that pic is! I admire her NERVE in showing herself like that, but it sorta ruins the movie star image.

Make-up can do wonders, and I think Lucy looked her best during the first two seasons of "The Lucy Show." It wasn't just the artfully applied eye make-up (on Viv, too), but her base was several shades lighter than her neck, which gave the appearance of less lines. I also liked her eyebrows, which never drew attention to themselves. It wasn't until Here's Lucy where I began seeing distinct changes in Lucy's make-up, and I didn't like them. For one, the top lip became even more pronounced. For another, the color of her wig was too orangey. By the time Life with Lucy came along, she wore more make-up than an embalmed corpse, and I HATED her eyebrows! Whoever had the bright idea of putting them in the middle of her forehead did her a great disservice. Lucille Ball was a gorgeous woman, and with the right make-up, she could've looked lovely right into old age. She looked great in Mame, too, even with the filters. Once the eyebrows shot up to the middle of her forehead, things went downhill. I can't even call it a "surprised" look, more like a miscalculation by a make-up artist who couldn't see too well. Was it Hal King?

Rod

Make-up can do wonders, and I think Lucy looked her best during the first two seasons of "The Lucy Show." It wasn't just the artfully applied eye make-up (on Viv, too), but her base was several shades lighter than her neck, which gave the appearance of less lines. I also liked her eyebrows, which never drew attention to themselves. It wasn't until Here's Lucy where I began seeing distinct changes in Lucy's make-up, and I didn't like them. For one, the top lip became even more pronounced. For another, the color of her wig was too orangey. By the time Life with Lucy came along, she wore more make-up than an embalmed corpse, and I HATED her eyebrows! Whoever had the bright idea of putting them in the middle of her forehead did her a great disservice. Lucille Ball was a gorgeous woman, and with the right make-up, she could've looked lovely right into old age. She looked great in Mame, too, even with the filters. Once the eyebrows shot up to the middle of her forehead, things went downhill. I can't even call it a "surprised" look, more like a miscalculation by a make-up artist who couldn't see too well. Was it Hal King?

Rod

LOL @ embalmed corpse. Lucille's makeup in Life With Lucy was by Claude Thompson. He actually died in August this year! Here: http://makeupmag.com/news/newsID/1017/

Hal King did Lucy's makeup in Mame

LOL @ embalmed corpse. Lucille's makeup in Life With Lucy was by Claude Thompson. He actually died in August this year! Here: http://makeupmag.com/news/newsID/1017/

Hal King did Lucy's makeup in Mame

Part of the problem was Lucy's age and addiction to cigs. Smoking brought out all the fine lines of her upper lip, and when she exaggerated the lipline with lipstick--especially pink--it looked grotesque. She really did look her best (older Lucy) in the first seasons of The Lucy Show. I loved her hair, too, and was shocked to learn that it was a wig. When did that start happening? I can see a hairline! On Here's Lucy, the later episodes, I did notice that she was wearing something because it was now a carrot orange and dry looking, instead of the elegant hairstyle of The Lucy Show. And I absolutely loved her hair on Life with Lucy. The picture that someone posted of Lucy from 1986 is very flattering, except for the caterpillar eyebrows that seem to have a life of their own. I suppose the eyebrows being "up" was designed to give the impression of youthful, wide-eyed innocence. But whenever I saw her on talk shows and game shows during that period, the brows looked gray, and they seemed to just be stuck there with glue. Horrible!

Part of the problem was Lucy's age and addiction to cigs. Smoking brought out all the fine lines of her upper lip, and when she exaggerated the lipline with lipstick--especially pink--it looked grotesque. She really did look her best (older Lucy) in the first seasons of The Lucy Show. I loved her hair, too, and was shocked to learn that it was a wig. When did that start happening? I can see a hairline! On Here's Lucy, the later episodes, I did notice that she was wearing something because it was now a carrot orange and dry looking, instead of the elegant hairstyle of The Lucy Show. And I absolutely loved her hair on Life with Lucy. The picture that someone posted of Lucy from 1986 is very flattering, except for the caterpillar eyebrows that seem to have a life of their own. I suppose the eyebrows being "up" was designed to give the impression of youthful, wide-eyed innocence. But whenever I saw her on talk shows and game shows during that period, the brows looked gray, and they seemed to just be stuck there with glue. Horrible!

It is Lucy's hair in fact all around the head/hairline. I believe half inch-1 inch amount of her real hair and the volume on the top and around is a wig.

I believe her eyebrows were constantly shaved during the 30s and some of the 40s. She had a hairs where her eyebrows were penciled on and then started shaving from 60s and on to get that higher upside down "V"

It is Lucy's hair in fact all around the head/hairline. I believe half inch-1 inch amount of her real hair and the volume on the top and around is a wig.

I believe her eyebrows were constantly shaved during the 30s and some of the 40s. She had a hairs where her eyebrows were penciled on and then started shaving from 60s and on to get that higher upside down "V"

The picture you posted is a great example of the clown eyebrows in the middle of her forehead. While the eyebrows themselves look good, they need to be down about half an inch toward her actual eyes. The purpose of an eyebrow, after all, is to flatter the eye and protect it. It's not supposed to just sit there in a spot where it shouldn't be, like a caterpillar. The points closest to her nose are the worst offenders.

Rod

The picture you posted is a great example of the clown eyebrows in the middle of her forehead. While the eyebrows themselves look good, they need to be down about half an inch toward her actual eyes. The purpose of an eyebrow, after all, is to flatter the eye and protect it. It's not supposed to just sit there in a spot where it shouldn't be, like a caterpillar. The points closest to her nose are the worst offenders.

Rod

I know. It's so true, those eye brows are not the best. I'm guessing they wanted the normal Lucy look. Where her eyes looked big! With age her lids sagged into her eye socket (like everyone!) but which with the exaggerated eyebrows it made it look where she still had that same amount of eye area. But those brows are in the middle of her forehead for pete sakes!

Rod

Could very well be Hal. Ever see her Blackglama fur ad? Her make up there was by famous make up legend Way Bandy and she looked wunnerful wunnerful, but not so much like we were used to seeing her though. There's a pic of it in the Lee Tannen book i believe. Or you can google Lucy in the Blackglama fur ad.

WIGS, much like her normal hair could either look lovely or bad depending on the lighting. Notice pics of her OUTSIDE at the Oscars and she looks fantastic, well, the hair does anyway, but on the show itself, her hair looks like a wig, fake and bunched up together. Then again, OUTSIDE Lucy looks betetr too, except on the one pic where she frowns, when smiling she always took decades off her age, inside, on the show, she looked wrinkled and older. LIGHTING can be very important. Notice how in small interviews they always have these older stars sitting next to lamps and very subdued lighting in a dark living room type setting.

Rod

True, put your finger over those too high brows and you see the beautiful Lucy we've grown to know and love.

She wore "lace wigs". Google them. During the first season of TLS there were several episodes where she didn't wear wigs or only wore them in certain scenes. The reason you can't see a hairline is because the wig has it's own hairline. If you google it, it will become clearer. There are several photos out there where you can see the stitching of the wigs when you get a close up view. The reason she had her eyebrows like that was to make her look younger - when you raise the eyebrows it looks like you've had an eye lift/forehead lift - detracts from the wrinkles. Also, having your eyebrows closer together makes your nose look narrower/thinner.

She wore "lace wigs". Google them. During the first season of TLS there were several episodes where she didn't wear wigs or only wore them in certain scenes. The reason you can't see a hairline is because the wig has it's own hairline. If you google it, it will become clearer. There are several photos out there where you can see the stitching of the wigs when you get a close up view. The reason she had her eyebrows like that was to make her look younger - when you raise the eyebrows it looks like you've had an eye lift/forehead lift - detracts from the wrinkles. Also, having your eyebrows closer together makes your nose look narrower/thinner.

Did she keep them on for up to a week? I know once glued they can last pretty long! But I thought she had her own hair showing also around the head?

Did she keep them on for up to a week? I know once glued they can last pretty long! But I thought she had her own hair showing also around the head?

You can actually get different types of adhesive that can last from 1-6 weeks, but the normal everyday adhesive just lasts one day and considering Lucy was under hot lights I can almost guarantee you that once filming stopped and Lucy went home the wig would have been removed. There is no way she would have slept in her wigs. Yes, I have also read that she had some of her hair showing at the front - I guess that just means that the wig was pulled up higher so the front of her hair was showing OR she just wore half a wig - I really couldn't tell you for certain but she had many different wig styles to suit many different occasions and they were all done really well so it was very hard to tell.

From recollection she would wear a wig cap and it would be pulled very tight and the lace wig would be put on but part of her normal hair would show at the front and her normal hair would also be pulled through the wig cap liner with the lace wig so it all blended in together (think of it as when you get tips and wear that cap and they pull your hair through those holes. Something like that. But in her later years she definitely wore full lace wigs.

Archived