60 Years Ago Tonight...

Brock

...and an endless array of products to varying degrees of success -- from dolls, to garbage cans, to international postage stamps.

mon0101cy52chocolate9lucy.jpg

Much as I want this awesome set of stamps (which I've never seen before) did we really need Amanda Milligan pictured in five of them? Certainly stamps four and five weren't necessary to say nothing of the fact that there's isn't ONE stamp on the sheet picturing the legendary conveyor belt fiasco! Don't like the fact that Vivian is only on just TWO stamps either - or that the wonderful Elvia Allman is just on one and not a good shot of her.

Perhaps it's my tendency to root for the underdog, but the "top episodes" people seem to pick for any show are never favorites of mine. I certainly like Job Switching and admire it for its impact. But it's never been among my top 5 or even 10 picks. Neither has TV Commercial or Italian Movie. The shows I really love are the ones many don't seem to pay much attention to (Lucy Writes a Play, Ricky & Fred are TV Fans, Lucy's Schedule) Wonder what that says about me?

Perhaps it's my tendency to root for the underdog, but the "top episodes" people seem to pick for any show are never favorites of mine. I certainly like Job Switching and admire it for its impact. But it's never been among my top 5 or even 10 picks. Neither has TV Commercial or Italian Movie. The shows I really love are the ones many don't seem to pay much attention to (Lucy Writes a Play, Ricky & Fred are TV Fans, Lucy's Schedule) Wonder what that says about me?

Oh i dunno, maybe that you have weird tastes, LOL! Just kidding, to each his own. Mine has always been the William Holden ep and they only show the nose on fire bit from that one.

Nothing bad, that's fer shure! ;) I dunno, I'm pretty much with you on this, too. I get why those "Top 10" or whatever eps are always thought of and featured heavily; however as I've said elsewhere on this board, my personal faves are probably those that primarily feature the "foursome" on home turf and whatever travails they're experiencing in that particular episode, be it a "Mertz vs. Ricardo" scenario (e.g., "Never Do Business With Friends"; "The Courtroom"; "No Children Allowed", etc.) or the men vs. the women capers, as in "Equal Rights", "Lucy Tells the Truth", etc. and often, Lucy "vs." Ricky: "Lucy Wants New Furniture"; "Ricky Loses His Temper" for example.

But my absolute faves are the handful that shine I think a glimpse of what life was really like not just between "reel life" characters Lucy & Ricky but real-life husband & wife Lucy & Desi: In "Hollywood Anniversary" -- which is in my Top 10 faves of all time list -- for example, we see not only the many sides of Lucy Ricardo but I have a very strong suspicion that we were seeing a whole lot of the Lucy-Desi dynamic as well, what with Lucy/Ricky careening from joy, surprise, upset, frustration, ultimatims and ultimately, melted hearts as true love -- and a raft of syrupy but lovely violins -- serenaded a just-made-up in time for the heart to close Mr. & Mrs. Ricardo. Ah, a near perfect episode and what a showcase for La Ball!

Come to think of it... when wasn't it? :lucysmirk:;)

Nothing bad, that's fer shure! ;) I dunno, I'm pretty much with you on this, too. I get why those "Top 10" or whatever eps are always thought of and featured heavily; however as I've said elsewhere on this board, my personal faves are probably those that primarily feature the "foursome" on home turf and whatever travails they're experiencing in that particular episode, be it a "Mertz vs. Ricardo" scenario (e.g., "Never Do Business With Friends"; "The Courtroom"; "No Children Allowed", etc.) or the men vs. the women capers, as in "Equal Rights", "Lucy Tells the Truth", etc. and often, Lucy "vs." Ricky: "Lucy Wants New Furniture"; "Ricky Loses His Temper" for example.

But my absolute faves are the handful that shine I think a glimpse of what life was really like not just between "reel life" characters Lucy & Ricky but real-life husband & wife Lucy & Desi: In "Hollywood Anniversary" -- which is in my Top 10 faves of all time list -- for example, we see not only the many sides of Lucy Ricardo but I have a very strong suspicion that we were seeing a whole lot of the Lucy-Desi dynamic as well, what with Lucy/Ricky careening from joy, surprise, upset, frustration, ultimatims and ultimately, melted hearts as true love -- and a raft of syrupy but lovely violins -- serenaded a just-made-up in time for the heart to close Mr. & Mrs. Ricardo. Ah, a near perfect episode and what a showcase for La Ball!

Come to think of it... when wasn't it? :lucysmirk:;)

I'm a huge fan of "Bottle Episodes"...shows that feature just the main cast (maybe one or two more bit parts) and take place on the primary sets overall.

I enjoy some of the California/Europe/Country episodes, but part of me feels the show outgrew itself at that point. It became too big in some respects. I prefer the quieter episodes, set in the NYC apartment. No big guest stars, no stock footage, no one time sets...all basic, all familiar, all Lucy.

I'm a huge fan of "Bottle Episodes"...shows that feature just the main cast (maybe one or two more bit parts) and take place on the primary sets overall.

I enjoy some of the California/Europe/Country episodes, but part of me feels the show outgrew itself at that point. It became too big in some respects. I prefer the quieter episodes, set in the NYC apartment. No big guest stars, no stock footage, no one time sets...all basic, all familiar, all Lucy.

Wow Brian, "Bottle Episodes"...I've never heard that description before, apt as it may be! Where'd you get it?? Sounds like we're on the same page here regarding our respective favorites, although I'm not totally in agreement about the "outgrew itself" observation; most of the Hollywood-based episodes are some of my all-time faves!! :) I prefer to think of it as they grew and "matured", as the production values (better/bigger sets/clothes/set designs/furnishings/etc.) seemed to improve and be perfected as the show went along. Just my 2 centavos! ;)

Wow Brian, "Bottle Episodes"...I've never heard that description before, apt as it may be! Where'd you get it?? Sounds like we're on the same page here regarding our respective favorites, although I'm not totally in agreement about the "outgrew itself" observation; most of the Hollywood-based episodes are some of my all-time faves!! :) I prefer to think of it as they grew and "matured", as the production values (better/bigger sets/clothes/set designs/furnishings/etc.) seemed to improve and be perfected as the show went along. Just my 2 centavos! ;)

Bottle Episodes is the official "trope" name at TVTropes. It refers to less expensive episodes that primarily utilize the main cast and main locations...to offset production costs for the big budget "sweeps" episodes loaded with guest stars and one time sets. It applies more to today's television than back then, but it still can work as a description.

And you're right, they naturally took advantage of the higher budget and wanted to explore new options. I like many of the Hollywood episodes (but am more partial to the ones where they're getting ready to go as opposed to actually being there.)

But I had wish the Ricardos had stayed put a bit more afterwards. I mean, they get back from LA, immediately sail off to Europe, and are barely home before it's off to the country! They barely stayed in that apartment after season 4!

• 1 month later...

Here, in French land, HMV only featured that new ILL single season box of season one with a few copies, and it was only fifteen dollars. I knew that old law here, WHEN YOU SEE SOMETHING YOU WANT, GRAB IT WHILE IT'S THERE, OR YOU'LL COME BACK LATER AND IT WILL BE LONG GONE. Went back today to buy it, an of course, it was gone the way of the do do bird. There were two or three copies last week. Anyhoo, i wanted it as i hate getting the shows outta that huge easily damaged plastic box that is beautiful but difficult to get single eps out of. Well, i hope they soon get the other seasons as i never really wanted season one to begin with, i'd settle for 2 3 4 and 5.

• 2 weeks later...
Here, in French land, HMV only featured that new ILL single season box of season one with a few copies, and it was only fifteen dollars. I knew that old law here, WHEN YOU SEE SOMETHING YOU WANT, GRAB IT WHILE IT'S THERE, OR YOU'LL COME BACK LATER AND IT WILL BE LONG GONE. Went back today to buy it, an of course, it was gone the way of the do do bird. There were two or three copies last week. Anyhoo, i wanted it as i hate getting the shows outta that huge easily damaged plastic box that is beautiful but difficult to get single eps out of. Well, i hope they soon get the other seasons as i never really wanted season one to begin with, i'd settle for 2 3 4 and 5.

Yes, that's what usually happens so get it while you can! :D

I thought of this when I noticed, being "home for the holidays" for a few days and going to the local Rite Aid that they had several volumes of the last packaging of ILL sitting in the "only $10" (or thereabouts) bins of DVD sets, thinking maybe I should grab them but then "rationalizing" leaving them there with "you already have them" and "you know you want those new versions", so knock it off!!

:lucyhaha:

Archived