The Post-Journal

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Saturday - Doors Open Jamestown - Full Day of Fun Set for January 17 - by Katrina Fuller - "The citizens of the Jamestown area are treated like no other.  Doors Open Jamestown is at it again, bringing a full day of excitement to the City.  In its 10th year,  it has become  a much-awaited occasion, a long-day gathering of community and its organizations, sponsored by the Jamestown Chamber of Commerce and Jamestown Renaissance Corporation, welcomed into each venue, free of charge, to see what happens behind closed doors.  Joining the ranks are Jamestown Prendergast Library, Infinity Visual and Performing Arts, Jamestown Gateway Train Station, Fenton History Center, Roger Tory Peterson Institute of National History and others.  A number of restaurants are joining in the fun this year, Forte, LaScala, Landmark, The Press Room at Shawbucks and more.  Scully's Pub, at Jamestown Savings Bank Arena has a multitude of specials.  Paint the town red, wander the halls of each; take photos at RTPI, or pick up a bite to eat, a day of freedom awaits," published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Saturday, Chairman Talks Comedy Center Design, by Dennis Phillips - "Virtual hologram comedians and several interactive exhibits are all part of the Center that will span throughout three buildings.  The goal is to do a groundbreaking ceremony for the Comedy Center when Jerry Seinfeld is here; shooting to have it opened by the following festival in August 2016," published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Saturday, Park to Open by Memorial Day, by Dennis Phillips  - "The first phase of the National Comedy Center project is the construction of the Comedy Center Park, which should be completed by summer.  Depending on the weather in the spring, we want to get it done by the first week of May; but, open by Memorial Day," published for this date in 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NYWell How Do You Like That - Acoustic Remediation Creates Opportunities For Live Performance in Jamestown - “The Jamestown community now boasts a large entertainment facility more readily equipped to present big name live acts like Jerry Seinfeld, thanks to an acoustic remediation completed and first used for Jay Leno sold-out appearance in the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, in 2014. Funding the project was provided by the Gebbie Foundation, now being expertly 'helmed' by former County Executive, Greg Edwards, CEO,” published for this date in 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I report the death of gentle giant, local, and professional football hero, and owner of downtown Jamestown's familiar hangout- The Pub - on Friday, 2/13/2015, at home, 500 Cherry Street, Jamestown  He will be laid to rest Wednesday, 2/18/15, St. Lukes Episcopal Church, buriial, Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Jamestown NY.   RIP, Jim

Sadly, I report the death of gentle giant, local, and professional football hero, and owner of downtown Jamestown's familiar hangout- The Pub - on Friday, 2/13/2015, at home, 500 Cherry Street, Jamestown  He will be laid to rest Wednesday, 2/18/15, St. Lukes Episcopal Church, buriial, Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Jamestown NY.   RIP, Jim

Jim.....???

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - National Comedy Center Acquires City Property by Dennis Phillips - "One more hurdle has been achieved in the project - the City of Jamestown agreed to terms for the purchase of property corner Washington and Second Streets, the site of the BPU substation, land needed for completion/connection to the National Comedy Center and the Jamestown Gateway Train Station.  The Center, approximately 35,000 square feet, includes space inside the Train Station, and connected by a walkway between the buildings, with pathway to the Comedy Center Park, located behind the Station and connecting to the Jamestown Riverwalk project," published for this date in 2015.  [This article has been squished by me, including just parts necessary for fans' interest.  JK]

The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – 75 Years Ago – “A group of men interested in continued operation of the City of Jamestown, last remaining Chautauqua Lake steamer, met at the Smith & Chindgren Radio Shop in Brooklyn Square for a discussion of ways and means to attain their objective. For the past two years, the steamer had been operated by Chester McCray, Celoron, who had used a temporary dock at the boatlanding, where the group hoped to provide suitable permanent wharf facilities. The boat would be placed in dry-dock for a thorough inspection of its hull and there would be a checkup of the boilers and machinery,” published for this date in 2015.

Didn't this thing end up at the bottom of the lake one time? On a return visit Lucy wanted to ride this but no one told her it was at the bottom of the lake so they dredged it up. I think I have a pic of her on it.

That's a GREAT QUESTION for me to research (and I will, when I get a moment) - I DO KNOW there were THREE Steamers on the Lake turn of the 1900's century; let me see what I can find for you. 

I do know, through my research from a Falconer man (got his scrapbook through the Museum when I first started this thin'; [we got his permission to include it in what was then, a fact a day for the year to run on the new Museum Website] and it seems there was information within his scrapbook about this very topic; i.e., that of Lucille being photographed aboard on one of the Steamers, on one of her trips home; don't believe it was 1956; so, perhaps when they buried Daddy, or on one of the earlier 1940's trips....)  BE PATIENT!  Loving you, JK

Will do Joyce. In the meantime I'll dig up that pic. It looks very much like 44'.

Sounds about right; and that would be the City of Jamestown (begins trips, 1931); here's what I have found in the Celoron Park booklet, Thomas J. Goodwill, 2009.

'Steamships declined rapidly after 1900 because of use of trolleys available year-round  around the Lake; however, one on Lake until 1930, limited to charters - first  name: W.C. Rinearson - built in 1891; first year; re-named City of Cleveland 1892-1930

[1931 - City of Jamestown (that would be THE ONE, I'm Guessing...]

Steamers named:  The Columbia (double- decker) 1913**; Chautauqua Steamship Company, November 1913; City of New York, 1926 Season, 132 feet - men only; City of Buffalo, 125 feet, burned after 4 decades on Lake, 1929 Season' ,  City of Jamestown, double-decker, starting 1931;

**The Columbia had a fire; and was retired; stored in a streetcar barn (Second & Washington!!! how fitting a location!!!) from 1913 to 1926.  Barn closed that year and Columbia scrapped.

What I DO NOT find, right at hand, I'll have to go to Celoron Website one of these minutes, is how many steamers served the lake at any ONE time -

If you need more, just ask - you are researching and sharing for all of us; me, too; so, anything you need, just let 'er rip!!

Loving you, JK

• Like 1

Great photo!  It seems to me I've seen one with p.r. folks around from the side deck moored at the Dunham Avenue Pier in past years.  Perhaps I can find that one in the Celoron Website, which I've yet to get to....  Be patient.  Did the photo you posted have any detail in writing with it?  Thanks if you know.  Loving you, JK

The Post-Journal – Jamestown, NY – 'We are a part of the I Love NY program now.' - State Champions National Comedy Center As Tourist Destination, by Dennis Phillips - “There's no longer a question as to whether the National Comedy Center project will happen; but, rather, when. New York State has granted $1.5 million toward the center. The National Comedy Center will be the southern anchor in keeping tourists in Western New York for at least 'one more day.' Organizers are hoping for an August 1 groundbreaking – the night Jerry Seinfeld is scheduled to appear headlining the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival. Construction will take a year, with plans to open the National Comedy Center during Lucy Fest in August 2016,” published for this date in 2015.

Plus, from March 9, 2015:

Jamestown Gazette - The People's Paper - A Division of Chautauqua Marketing Solutions, LLC - Vol. 5, Number 10 – Property for National Comedy Center Acquired – Article contributed by Lucy-Desi Center - National Comedy Center officials and the City of Jamestown have agreed to terms on the purchase of a city-owned building and adjacent land intersection of Washington and West Second Streets. When this space is combined with the area that will be utilized inside the Gateway Station, the total NCC exhibit space will total approximately 35,000 square feet,” published for the week of March 9, 2015.

From 3/16/15:

The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – 100 Years Ago – “In 1915, services were secured with manager of league baseball games, William Webb, of the Interstate Baseball League, on the furthest western section [location since the 1960's, Ellicott Shores Apartment nine building complex] of Celoron Park [now Lucille Ball Memorial Park], along the south side shores of Chautauqua Lake, and Hotel Samuels has agreed to erect a flagpole on the Hotel and every day of a game scheduled, the flag would be raised, encouraging fans to know of such event and attend, thus helping with the financing of said club,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – 25 Years Ago – “In 1990, the Lucille Ball Memorial Park was on its way to becoming the jewel of Celoron once again, now that the village has received a $70 thousand matching state grant to improve the Park. Refurbishing of the Park was only the beginning of what he hoped would resurrect a pride in Celoron.” published for this date in 2015.

Yesterday's P-J article regarding the National Comedy Center is, today, repeated in print via the CHAUTAUQUA PROFILES 2015 - a four-section extra, regarding businesses in Chautauqua County - The Center is mentioned and pictured in several places - New things I could 'cull' out and outline for my readers, are as follows:

The Post-Journal – Jamestown, NY – CHAUTAUQUA PROFILES 2015  - Chautauqua County - State of New York - front cover [E1] includes a picture of the Candy poster on the side of the former Jones Bakery, downtown, with other points of interest locally -

[E2] - A Unique Local Company - Bloomquist's Landscaping Celebrates 35 Years In Business; Will Work On Gateway Station Plaza And Park This Year - "This coming year, Bloomquist's Landscaping is proud to be working in the construction of the Gateway Station Plaza & Park furnishing and installing trees and permeable pavers for this project," owner, Bloomquist's.] 

Section [F1] cover includes a huge painting projection and composite sketch of the National Comedy Center, located corner Washington and Second Streets.  The federal New Market Tax Credits could be used in the financing of the NCCThe New Market Tax Credits  program was established in 2000 as part of the Community Renewal Tax Relief Act of 2000.  The goal is to spur revitalization efforts of low-income communities across the U.S.  NCC officials recently purchased city property along W. Second St., that will be part of the national attraction.  'The acquisition of this property represents a huge step forward for the project; control of this site is critical in efforts to raise equity from the sale of federal new market tax credits, and will allow us to move full speed ahead to complete the final design and seek site plan approval.  In addition, it's another clear signal that the NCC project is a reality,' says Tom Benson, representing NCC.

Section [G1] cover includes another sketch of the National Comedy Center, located corner Washington and Second Streets.  An Attractive Look for Downtown - Riverwalk National Comedy Center Could Change City's Image, by Dennis Phillips - "What could Jamestown look like in 10 years once attractions like the NCC and the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk are completed? 'The NCC will be a catalyst to change local people's mindsets when thinking about Jamestown.  Jamestown no longer has to be a place where families raise their children to think about living in another city in order to have a quality career and life.  I see the NCC as a facility to make the rest of the Urban Design Plan come to life.  In 10 years, I see a lot of people living in downtown and storefronts filled with comedy-related items and other things.  The downtown will be a vibrant place filled with people,' Tom Benson, NCC chairman.  Mayor Teresi:  'People will soon be able to travel from downtown Jamestown to Chautauqua Lake at Lucille Ball Memorial Park, Celoron, via the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk trail.  This year, Phases V, VI, and VII will continue, with plans to be completed by the end of 2016,' and published for this date in 2015.

3/22/15 - The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Strategic Planning Commission Discusses Needs for Comedy Center, by Dennis Phillips - "What needs to be available in the Jamestown area once the National Comedy Center is open?  [article shortened by me for Lucy fans and frequent Jamestown visitors].   Improving life in the community; and the Volunteer group suggestions, which commission has been working on since 2009:  job creation, retention and workforce development; sharing services; establishing new small businesses; food restaurants; activities to enjoy along the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk; i.e. boat and bike rentals; food vendor licenses to operate; improve the downtown area for visitors; i.e. outdoor patio areas; parking and transportation within the city; shuttle buses; more taxis; easily accessible hotel rooms; education of desk clerks directing people to local restaurants and sites; etc.," published for this date in 2015.

3/23/15 - The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – 50 Years Ago – “Purchase of the seven-acre Celoron Park [now Lucille Ball Memorial Park] picnic grove for $30 thousand was authorized by the Celoron Village Board in a lengthy lame-duck session the past night. It was the last regular meeting for Mayor Keller, who had served as trustee and mayor for 14 years and for Trustee Zimmer a ten-year board member. The grove [most eastern part of the Park, now housing the Desi Arnaz Bandshell, which Lucie Arnaz attended and performed at the inaugural ceremony] property owned by the Harry Illion estate,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NYGreat Jamestown Riverwalk – Inaugural Festival Coming To City In June, by Dennis Phillips - “The desire to promote the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk Festival, sponsored by Jamestown Now and the Jamestown Renaissance Corporation, will be held June 28; a family-friendly occasion offering art, environmental awareness, music, food and fun. Next year, with construction of Phases V, VI and VII, the bike path from McCrea Point Park to Clifton Avenue, including a blacktop bike and pedestrian path, across railbed running along Chadakoin River from W. 8th St., [Jamestown] to Clifton Ave., near Fluvanna; creating connectivity throughout the City. The project starts around the Jamestown BPU, connecting the Riverwalk through the City to McCrea Point; with Phase VII, a trail from the Point to Lucille Ball Memorial Park,” published for this date in 2015.

March 29, 2015 -

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Chautauqua County Glory Days – Pictures Act As Windows Into The Past, by Mallory Diefenbach - “Photographs serve as small windows to the past, fleeting moments of time from long ago. Jamestown Retro, a Facebook page, and website, is dedicated to preserving those small windows for everyone to enjoy,” [turning to Facebook, you will find important photos from the past, Celoron/Jamestown/Chautauqua County area, where Lucille Ball spent many childhood years growing up] published, in a two-section, 16-page insert, for this date in 2015.

April 3, 2015 -
The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Region – Time For A Lift – Celoron Seeks Fundraising Opportunities for Statue Improvements, Replacement, by Gavin Paterniti – Celoron - “Since its unveiling in 2009, the statue has received criticism that the life-size bronze bears little resemblance to Lucille Ball," published for this date in 2015.
The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Ready To Stand Up – Lucy Desi Center Among Three Finalists For Regional Award, by Gavin Paterniti - “A local non-profit will have a chance at winning a regional recognition award for the impact it's had on the greater Jamestown area.  The Arts Services Initiative of Western NY has announced the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum and Center for Comedy is one of three finalists, in second annual 'Spark' Cultural Awards. Award winners will be officially announced during an awards party Celebrating Those Who Ignite Arts & Culture, May 20, Buffalo Hotel Lafayette,” published for this date in 2015.
The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – 'Question Of The Day - Should the statue of Lucille Ball in Celoron by replaced? [4/2/2015] - “Yes: 63% - No: 37% of voting subscribers,” published for this date in 2015.
The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Editorial Page – Wisely Spent Federal Funds Could Improve Tourism – “With Jamestown's $1 million in federal funding, the city's future course can be set. For the sake of the upcoming National Comedy Center, a tourist destination is created; thus, focusing monies on improving the city's gateway areas, with economic development and neighborhood housing in those areas – i.e., Second Street, Foote Avenue and Main Street, thus providing incoming tourists with a good first impression of the city,” published for this date in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

April 10, 2015

The Post-JournalJamestown, NY – Loving Lucy's Hometown – Lieutenant Governor Tours Jamestown Attractions, Speaks Of State Funding, by Katrina Fuller - “Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul paid Jamestown a visit yesterday and stopped to see the Jamestown Gateway Train Station and Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum and Center for Comedy. She spent the entire day in Chautauqua County, calling it a joy. 'I am a frequent visitor to Chautauqua Institution; coming to Jamestown is great for me; and I'm on the way to visit the Lucy Statue in Celoron,'” published for this date in 2015.

April 11, 2015

The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy online “An Evening of Comedy – Dinner, Drinks & Laughs – Featuring comedians, Pete Lee and Michael Palascak, whose credits include Leno, Letterman, Conan, Comedy Central's Half Hour Special, NBC's Last Comic Standing, & more, this event takes place in a re-creation of Ricky Ricardo's famous Manhattan Night Club on May 30, 2015,” posted this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal – Saturday - Jamestown, NY – On The Silver Screen – Movie To Feature Train Station, Jamestown Locations, by Dennis Phillips - “The beautifully renovated Jamestown Gateway Train Station (JGTS) has captured the eye of those with aspirations of Hollywood. It's being highlighted in a feature film, Empire, co-written; directed and executive produced by Jamestown resident, Matthew Swanson of Brown Hat Productions, who began working on the film in 2002; a fictional portrayal of a couple trying to uncover truths behind demise of the Native American tribe, Erielhonan, which historically disappeared after 1654. A courtroom scene was filmed in the concourse area of the JGTS; with other government office scenes also filmed in the Station. Other areas: Jamestown-area alleyways and streets, are filmed, highlighting other local landmarks. Additional filming took place at Burgett & Robbins (law offices); Willow Bay Center, The Spire Theatre, and Landmark Restaurant. The film trailer will be premiered on Facebook. Filming has also taken place in Pittsburgh and Spruce Creek, PA, where world-famous Indian caverns are located,” published for this date in 2015.

April 12, 2015

The Sunday Post-JournalJamestown, NY – Hochul Wants County To 'Think Big' – by Jimmy McCarthy - “Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul is urging Chautauqua County to 'think big' when it comes to enticing businesses and people to the area. With notable tourism available in the North and South County, Hochul said capitalizing on unique, local assets is important. The task is getting visitors to hit all the local spots, including the National Comedy Center in Jamestown,” published for this date in 2015.

Brock:  Don't know what happened to this above P-J post; but, COULD NOT edit out the additional line space(s) at the end of the post.  After about 20 minutes, I gave up trying.  LOVING YOU, JK

4/22/15 - just went in, and it let me edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so, saved us 1/2 a page for comments...... :fabrary: 

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Front Page – lower right – Hollywood Comes Calling – Lucille Ball Statue Garnering National Interest, Will Not Be Altered, by Gavin Paterniti - “Celoron – Dave Poulin's original bronze sculpture of Lucille Ball will not be altered by another artist after all. Less than a week after the much-publicized press conference by Celoron's Mayor, announcing a fundraising campaign to 'fix' the physical appearance of same, Chris Hardwick, host, Comedy Central's 'at midnight', posted a plea on Instagram for the statue to be relocated to the 'at midnight' studio, Los Angeles, site of (“I Love Lucy”) soundstage of the 1950s. Two representatives of said Internet program attending Monday morning's Celoron Board Meeting to promote the village's campaign for funds to replace said statue,” published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Question Of The Day - “Should Celoron auction off the Lucille Ball Statue?”, published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Question Of The Day (4/14/15) - “Should Celoron auction off the Lucille Ball Statue?”: Reply: Yes 53%; No 47%, published for this date in 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Growing In Infamy - Celoron Leaving Options Open for Lucille Ball Statue, by Gavin Paterniti - Celoron - [paraphrased for content]  Despite its sudden universal infamy, Dave Poulin's original bronze sculpture of Lucille Ball may have a permanent home in the Village of Celoron. After Comedy Central offered to house the statue in their studio, Los Angeles, the home of ('I Love Lucy'), with its donation by the Village upon decision to replace the statue with $ donations available for another 60 days. Due to national attention in the past week, Celoron may be re-thinking the 'problem' of keeping the statue in place, even though its obviously a non-recognizeable 'Lucy'," published for this date in 2015.