Let's Talk to Lucy Radio Program

LucyImHome

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, now they're using Lucy to sell even more product!

That is smart. Hopefully though the radio show won't up as extras but it is looking this way. However, next to Lucy, Petticoat Junction was my favorite sitcom (my favorite out of the 3 Paul Henning did) and I look forward to this.

That is smart. Hopefully though the radio show won't up as extras but it is looking this way. However, next to Lucy, Petticoat Junction was my favorite sitcom (my favorite out of the 3 Paul Henning did) and I look forward to this.

Really? It was my least fave iof the three after Hillbillies and then Green Acres.

WOW, now there's one i'm anxious to see. Having worked with Bea on My Favorite Husband and then wanting her for ILL but Bea already under contract to someone else, wonder if she asked her or talked to her about any of that.

This radio interview is great news as I've often wondered if Lucy and Bea's paths crossed once Bea because a big tv star herself with PJ. I was certain they must have given they were both on CBS but I've never seen a pic of the two together beyond the MFH years. Bea's PJ success proves to me that Vivian could have had a hit sitcom of her own with the right format, I really wish Desi had tried harder to find her something post ILL (of course though we wouldn't then have Viv on TLS).

Really? It was my least fave iof the three after Hillbillies and then Green Acres.

TBH is far and away my favorite (no surprise!!!) . I would say PJ is my second favorite even though I don't deny GA was a funnier show with better scripts, I just prefer the more down-to-earth cast on PJ more, it's more one of those Donna Reed/Ozzie and Harriet family shows were the cast was pleasant and agreeable rather than funny.

This radio interview is great news as I've often wondered if Lucy and Bea's paths crossed once Bea because a big tv star herself with PJ. I was certain they must have given they were both on CBS but I've never seen a pic of the two together beyond the MFH years. Bea's PJ success proves to me that Vivian could have had a hit sitcom of her own with the right format, I really wish Desi had tried harder to find her something post ILL (of course though we wouldn't then have Viv on TLS).

And she couldn't take the pressure, remember? She froze on the Guestward Ho pilot.

TBH is far and away my favorite (no surprise!!!) . I would say PJ is my second favorite even though I don't deny GA was a funnier show with better scripts, I just prefer the more down-to-earth cast on PJ more, it's more one of those Donna Reed/Ozzie and Harriet family shows were the cast was pleasant and agreeable rather than funny.

E X A C T L Y ! It was the most realistic of the three, even with the three daughters bathing in the town's water supply at the opening every week, LOL! And with the dog yet!

Dun't forget the fact that we haven't seen these in decades so they don't hold up as well as we think they do.

Vivian got a big salary for her frequent stage work in her post-Lucy years. She was still working, just rarely on television.

Harry: Can you suggest a site where I might find Vivian's later-years stage work? Thanks; mostly interested in dates; but, need other things as well....i.e. production titles....

And she couldn't take the pressure, remember? She froze on the Guestward Ho pilot.

I don't know that I buy the "Director yelled action and Viv froze: 'First time on my own'" story. If it happened, it probably wasn't as monumental a moment as has been written. Vivian was a pro. She may have been justifiably nervous because the Guestward Ho pilot script is SO weak....and the pilot's are usually the best.

My major complaint about PJ is that it was a waste of Bea's talents as a comedienne. She's more Donna Reed and I want her to be Pearl Bodine. The best episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies featured Bea as Pearl. My favorite episode of the series is entirely focused on Pearl. They go back to the hills for Christmas and when Pearl fails in her attempts to snag Frank Wilcox as a husband, it's Jed's idea to stage a public proposal so Pearl can save face. Wilcox's Mr. Brewster, the oil man from Tulsa, seizes upon the opportunity to ham it up and gives a Shakespearean performance. Pearl's rehearsed "no, Mr. Brewster, I cain't marry ya" gets weaker and weaker as Brewster's plea gets more and more dramatic (:"Oh, your words are like daggers into me heart")...until she says "yes yes yes I'll marry ya!"

Another PJ complaint: the Jo sisters have virtually no character. This got worse as the series progressed and 2 of the Jo's were recast, one of them twice (I think) The original blonde was a bit trampy but by the time she was played by Meridith Macrae, she was indistinguishable from the other two.

I've seen a few of the initial episodes and the show did have an infectious charm and when Charles Lane appeared was actually funny. Later the focus shifted to Linda Henning and her (real life?) husband Mike Minor, whose picture must appear in the casting lists under the category "bland". This was probably out of necessity more than anything because of Bea's deteriorating health. Just when you think an episode can get no duller, Mike Minor sings!

I don't recall any watching any episode with June Lockhart but I must have because I remember the revamped theme song lyrics: "Here's our lady MD. She's as pretty as can be....at the Junction".

I don't know that I buy the "Director yelled action and Viv froze: 'First time on my own'" story. If it happened, it probably wasn't as monumental a moment as has been written. Vivian was a pro. She may have been justifiably nervous because the Guestward Ho pilot script is SO weak....and the pilot's are usually the best.

My major complaint about PJ is that it was a waste of Bea's talents as a comedienne. She's more Donna Reed and I want her to be Pearl Bodine. The best episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies featured Bea as Pearl. My favorite episode of the series is entirely focused on Pearl. They go back to the hills for Christmas and when Pearl fails in her attempts to snag Frank Wilcox as a husband, it's Jed's idea to stage a public proposal so Pearl can save face. Wilcox's Mr. Brewster, the oil man from Tulsa, seizes upon the opportunity to ham it up and gives a Shakespearean performance. Pearl's rehearsed "no, Mr. Brewster, I cain't marry ya" gets weaker and weaker as Brewster's plea gets more and more dramatic (:"Oh, your words are like daggers into me heart")...until she says "yes yes yes I'll marry ya!"

Another PJ complaint: the Jo sisters have virtually no character. This got worse as the series progressed and 2 of the Jo's were recast, one of them twice (I think) The original blonde was a bit trampy but by the time she was played by Meridith Macrae, she was indistinguishable from the other two.

I've seen a few of the initial episodes and the show did have an infectious charm and when Charles Lane appeared was actually funny. Later the focus shifted to Linda Henning and her (real life?) husband Mike Minor, whose picture must appear in the casting lists under the category "bland". This was probably out of necessity more than anything because of Bea's deteriorating health. Just when you think an episode can get no duller, Mike Minor sings!

I don't recall any watching any episode with June Lockhart but I must have because I remember the revamped theme song lyrics: "Here's our lady MD. She's as pretty as can be....at the Junction".

God i wish you were a tv critic, you're always so spot on with your reviews or comments.

I think the book "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz" has an appendix with Viv's stage credits.

I wonder why she never did a musical. She could have headed some Hello Dolly stock company...with William Frawley as her Vandergelder, if he had lived long enough. Perfect casting, I think!

TV sitcoms in the 60s were obsessed with twins and triplets. I know real life twins, but have never known or even heard of anybody connected with anybody I know having triplets. I know it happens, but if you got your reality only from TV (as I did in the 60s), you'd think it was much more common.

Linda Henning's Jo (Betty?) had them almost simultaneously to triplets being born on My Three Sons, which I suppose you can forgive given the title of the series.

TV sitcoms in the 60s were obsessed with twins and triplets. I know real life twins, but have never known or even heard of anybody connected with anybody I know having triplets. I know it happens, but if you got your reality only from TV (as I did in the 60s), you'd think it was much more common.

Linda Henning's Jo (Betty?) had them almost simultaneously to triplets being born on My Three Sons, which I suppose you can forgive given the title of the series.

True, i have cousins who are twins, born in the sixties and when i would walk them in their carriage, people would invariably come to see them , they were very very rare, you're certainly right about that.

True, i have cousins who are twins, born in the sixties and when i would walk them in their carriage, people would invariably come to see them , they were very very rare, you're certainly right about that.

Of course, the next time "beau" logs onto the Lounge, Claude will edit this post to say the twins used to push him when he was was just an eensy-weensy widdle baby in a buggy. :lucythrill:

Archived