Let's Talk to Lucy Radio Program

LucyImHome

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV sitcoms in the 60s were obsessed with twins and triplets. I know real life twins, but have never known or even heard of anybody connected with anybody I know having triplets. I know it happens, but if you got your reality only from TV (as I did in the 60s), you'd think it was much more common.

Linda Henning's Jo (Betty?) had them almost simultaneously to triplets being born on My Three Sons, which I suppose you can forgive given the title of the series.

I'm confused. Betty Jo didn't have triplets! She gave birth to a single baby girl, about the time the triplets came along on My Three Sons. Also, twins were born on Get Smart! and The Mothers-in-Law, around this time.

I'm confused. Betty Jo didn't have triplets! She gave birth to a single baby girl, about the time the triplets came along on My Three Sons. Also, twins were born on Get Smart! and The Mothers-in-Law, around this time.

I could be wrong about the Petticoat Junction birth.....Somehow I thought she had 3 girls so they could carry on the Jo tradition.

Maybe after two of the babies saw the quality of the scripts, they walked....or rather, crawled.

Wasn't there another set of triplets other than My Three Sons? Besides the last three rounding out Charles Lane's girls baseball team.

I could be wrong about the Petticoat Junction birth.....Somehow I thought she had 3 girls so they could carry on the Jo tradition.

Maybe after two of the babies saw the quality of the scripts, they walked....or rather, crawled.

Wasn't there another set of triplets other than My Three Sons? Besides the last three rounding out Charles Lane's girls baseball team.

Betty Jo only had one daughter, I think her name was Kathy Jo, so it was still the "Jo" tradition, just not as many.

I don't know that I buy the "Director yelled action and Viv froze: 'First time on my own'" story. If it happened, it probably wasn't as monumental a moment as has been written. Vivian was a pro. She may have been justifiably nervous because the Guestward Ho pilot script is SO weak....and the pilot's are usually the best.

My major complaint about PJ is that it was a waste of Bea's talents as a comedienne. She's more Donna Reed and I want her to be Pearl Bodine. The best episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies featured Bea as Pearl. My favorite episode of the series is entirely focused on Pearl. They go back to the hills for Christmas and when Pearl fails in her attempts to snag Frank Wilcox as a husband, it's Jed's idea to stage a public proposal so Pearl can save face. Wilcox's Mr. Brewster, the oil man from Tulsa, seizes upon the opportunity to ham it up and gives a Shakespearean performance. Pearl's rehearsed "no, Mr. Brewster, I cain't marry ya" gets weaker and weaker as Brewster's plea gets more and more dramatic (:"Oh, your words are like daggers into me heart")...until she says "yes yes yes I'll marry ya!"

Another PJ complaint: the Jo sisters have virtually no character. This got worse as the series progressed and 2 of the Jo's were recast, one of them twice (I think) The original blonde was a bit trampy but by the time she was played by Meridith Macrae, she was indistinguishable from the other two.

I've seen a few of the initial episodes and the show did have an infectious charm and when Charles Lane appeared was actually funny. Later the focus shifted to Linda Henning and her (real life?) husband Mike Minor, whose picture must appear in the casting lists under the category "bland". This was probably out of necessity more than anything because of Bea's deteriorating health. Just when you think an episode can get no duller, Mike Minor sings!

I don't recall any watching any episode with June Lockhart but I must have because I remember the revamped theme song lyrics: "Here's our lady MD. She's as pretty as can be....at the Junction".

I've always thought the Vivian "froze" story odd but then wasn't it published during her lifetime, so I guess there is some truth in it.

I certainly agree Kate is no match for Pearl in showcasing Bea Benaderet's comedy talent but she's charming in the role and it's nice to see a genuine character player achieve genuine tv stardom, doesn't happen all that often. The BH you described is one of my top 5 from the show with Pearl having one of the greatest lines ever on the show when told she's to turn Brewster down "only if I'm as drunk as you are!" and the proposal scene at the picture show is an absolute classic. I also love the episode where Pearl thinks she has vamped Drysdale who is only looking for a maid. Also want to put in a good word for the "Jetherine" episodes - this character is hilarious in action if not words and while Max Baer looks no more like a woman in drag than Milton Berle it's an endearing characterization of an oversized mountain girl where the gags would have been too cruel if the part had been played by a woman. (One of the nicer things about 50s/60s sitcoms, they would tease and ridicule the characters but never viciously berate them like on post 70s shows where the insults could get more than a little personal toward the actor.)

PJ is not a top favorite of mine because it is a Donna Reed-type show but still I enjoy the cast and I think a lot of the appeal of the show is due to the daughters. Lori Saunders as Bobbi Jo was actually quite a good comedienne as the dizzier daughter. I never saw the "original" daughters until the dvd was released and didn't find them as appealing as the later Billie Jos and Bobbi Jo. The later ones seem more distinct and they (Saunders and Meredith Macrae) are the ones people remember from the show. I liked June Lockhart on the series although her part was more Donnaish than Bea's even was. Elvia Allman was a riot in her guest appearances as Selma Ploutt, a duplication of her Elverna Bradshaw from BH.

I've always thought the Vivian "froze" story odd but then wasn't it published during her lifetime, so I guess there is some truth in it.

I certainly agree Kate is no match for Pearl in showcasing Bea Benaderet's comedy talent but she's charming in the role and it's nice to see a genuine character player achieve genuine tv stardom, doesn't happen all that often. The BH you described is one of my top 5 from the show with Pearl having one of the greatest lines ever on the show when told she's to turn Brewster down "only if I'm as drunk as you are!" and the proposal scene at the picture show is an absolute classic. I also love the episode where Pearl thinks she has vamped Drysdale who is only looking for a maid. Also want to put in a good word for the "Jetherine" episodes - this character is hilarious in action if not words and while Max Baer looks no more like a woman in drag than Milton Berle it's an endearing characterization of an oversized mountain girl where the gags would have been too cruel if the part had been played by a woman. (One of the nicer things about 50s/60s sitcoms, they would tease and ridicule the characters but never viciously berate them like on post 70s shows where the insults could get more than a little personal toward the actor.)

PJ is not a top favorite of mine because it is a Donna Reed-type show but still I enjoy the cast and I think a lot of the appeal of the show is due to the daughters. Lori Saunders as Bobbi Jo was actually quite a good comedienne as the dizzier daughter. I never saw the "original" daughters until the dvd was released and didn't find them as appealing as the later Billie Jos and Bobbi Jo. The later ones seem more distinct and they (Saunders and Meredith Macrae) are the ones people remember from the show. I liked June Lockhart on the series although her part was more Donnaish than Bea's even was. Elvia Allman was a riot in her guest appearances as Selma Ploutt, a duplication of her Elverna Bradshaw from BH.

I like anything Bea did. Pearl was laugh out loud funny but Kate was a wise, older lady whose main humor was wisecracks and looks at the craziness around. I enjoyed PJ. I feel Lori and Meredith made the show more unique and added to the characters. The first shows were too rural while the latter ones showed rural with a hint of class and moderness. I agree June was even more like Donna Reed and I felt she was wasted on this show. Only when they introduced her and the town didn't want her since she was a lady docter but she showed thme how smart she wise was she used to her full advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems MPI is trying to cram (and I don't mean that in an unflattering way) those "Let's Talk With Lucy" episodes on as many of their releases as possible. Their October "My Favorite Martian Season 3" set has episodes where she interviews Bill Bixby and Ray Walston.

I found this set in a great DVD store today -- which oddly enough was fully stocked with all seasons of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, but ZERO copies of I Love Lucy of any sort -- and it is terrific. Three Let's Talk To Lucy episodes with Bill Bixby and two with Ray Walston. They are really insightful too and she reveals many of her own thoughts. A couple of highlights: Bill Bixby telling how Lucy herself rejected his audition when he tried to become a member of the Desilu Playhouse workshop and (in the follow-up episode) trying to figure out how to explain his theory that television doesn't have "stars" without offending the Queen of Television (he succeeds), and Lucy going off on an extended rant against Tennessee Williams while interviewing Ray Walston. LOL

I found this set in a great DVD store today -- which oddly enough was fully stocked with all seasons of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, but ZERO copies of I Love Lucy of any sort -- and it is terrific. Three Let's Talk To Lucy episodes with Bill Bixby and two with Ray Walston. They are really insightful too and she reveals many of her own thoughts. A couple of highlights: Bill Bixby telling how Lucy herself rejected his audition when he tried to become a member of the Desilu Playhouse workshop and (in the follow-up episode) trying to figure out how to explain his theory that television doesn't have "stars" without offending the Queen of Television (he succeeds), and Lucy going off on an extended rant against Tennessee Williams while interviewing Ray Walston. LOL

Wow, couldn't care less about the series but those Let's Talk to Lucy sound absolutely sensational!!!!!

Hello All! Just found the Bing Crosby episode online... I don't believe it is an extra on any DVD, correct me if I'm wrong. The recording is from 12/14/64- http://bingcrosby.com/bing/bing-crosby-media/audio-vault. On the right side there is a list of a lot of recordings... if you scroll towards the bottom you will find the "Let's Talk to Lucy" episode!

Also, this collection apparently includes these episodes: http://www.otrsite.com/logs/logl1105.htm

Who the heck is Dr. Harold Glick? And why would he be on the "Let's Talk To Lucy" Radio Program? Anyways, its interesting you discovered this! :)

Dr. Glick was a dermatologist. Not everyone on the show was necessarily a celebrity. I know Hal King was a guest. Does anyone know if any other Lucy staffers were interviewees?

You mean because Bea couldn't possibly have been in the TVM? I agree! "Tacky" might be another word, too! Oh well at least we get the interview, which I can't wait to hear. :D

Well, what I meant in my post was I would never have any other reason to buy ANY Petticoat Junction DVD if Let's Talk To Lucy wasn't on it...and I'm sure many others will feel the same way. But, after reading your post, yes...that too! The nerve. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My copy of Return to Hooterville arrived today and two episodes of Bea on LTTL are indeed on the disk -- but in a somewhat obscure location. The two episodes themselves are wonderful as Lucy and Bea reminisce -- the most interesting segments to me were Lucy talking about how just as she was about to make the big leap to television how devastated she was that Bea and Gale weren't available, and there is a lot of love in the room for Gracie Allen.

As a non-fan of Petticoat Junction, this DVD is actually quite enjoyable. The feature documentary* includes great interviews with Charlie Lane and Shirley Mitchell, the featurette interview with Jack Bannon on his mother is terrific!

I forgot to mention my favourite part of Let's Talk To Bea -- Lucy greeting her ole friend Iris with, "Bea, Girl!"

*Strange part of the documentary: When they discuss finding inspiration for Green Acres in the old radio show Granby's Green Acres. I could understand why they wouldn't go out of their way to mention the fact it starred Gale Gordon, but they also failed to mention that it also starred Bea Benaderet. That seems kind of integral to the plot in a Petticoat Junction documentary. LOL

Archived