The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What "Italian" episode?

Stupid Target didn't have it. :angry: neither did Best Buy or Barnes & Noble. What the HELLYELLBINGO? Every time a set came out they had it except this time. They had every season of I Love Lucy in the new reissued package and the sales people keep thinking it's the same show. The only saving grace of ordering online is that, it is free shipping on Deep Discount. so I saved a few dollars but I HATE ordering online because I have to wait longer!

I had the same experience. I finally had enough and just decided to order online. My copy shipped yesterday and it will be here this Friday.

I had the same experience. I finally had enough and just decided to order online. My copy shipped yesterday and it will be here this Friday.

My deep discount order shipped yesterday too but the tracking number doesn't work so idk what delivery company it's coming from. It had better come! I haven't had any problems with them yet.

The Italian TLS opening might take the cake now as the most bizarre opening of all time, even weirder than the Severed Head of Season 5. So groovy to see though -- and to see Doris' cut scene in Italian to boot! LOL The "Smile" feature is spectacular!

The Italian TLS opening might take the cake now as the most bizarre opening of all time, even weirder than the Severed Head of Season 5. So groovy to see though -- and to see Doris' cut scene in Italian to boot! LOL The "Smile" feature is spectacular!

I liked the "Smile" feature too. I wish those had audio though, although you can kinda read her lips on some things. She seems to say "What?" and "Okay" a lot. LOL :lucythrill:

Which cover art was your favorite out of all 6? I like 1, 4, 5 and 6. Wasn't crazy about the one they chose for 3. I like 1 because it's a color screencap.

Having now seen the front and back covers of all six:

6 (although it's going to bug me forever Lucy's fingers are cut off on the front)

If you happen to have some spare time it would be great if you could screen cap this "Smile" feature you and others have been talking about and other features - I remember you took some screen caps of Season 5. Pretty please :peachonthebeach:

:(

Mine still says shipping soon! Expected delivery date between the 19th to the 31st October!

:( Are you shipping from the USA? I hope it gets here before Monday. Really do.

I just checked the tracking and it just left a post office in Indiana. Probably will be here Friday if that is so!

It's amazing how much of a difference it can make seeing these in pristine, uncut quality. I never much cared for Lucy Gets Involved, but seeing it tonight on this DVD set was like watching it again for the first time and I had a whole new appreciation for it.

Lucy Gets Mooney fired was a hoot! I love brand new Lucy stuff...new to me that is.

Edie Adams was terrific in Mooney's Other Wife; even though she didn't really like the part she certainly did a good job.

And, short as it was, that rare snippet from the CB Show was very welcome.

Thanks, Lo' (Sorry -- don't know your real name...)

The Carol Burnett people were very cooperative with us, but because of their pre-existing contracts with Time-Life, etc., they could not allow us to use more than 3-minutes of the sketch... So, we timed it right to the second! Would have loved to have used more, and I think in their hearts Carol's people were sympathetic -- but they could not violate their earlier agreement. Apparently they retain the right to license clips that are 3-minutes or less...

We were excited about using this, because it is from Carol's first season, and was not only Lucy's first appearance on the series, but Tim Conway's as well... I'm guessing this was the first time Lucy and Tim worked together... We seldom get to see Carol clips that date this early in her chronology. Most of the shows that have been issued over the years on her own VHS tapes and DVDs have been from the later years of her series...

This episode ends with a wonderful production number that combines "The Boys in the Back Room" (from the movie version of "Destry Rides Again") with "Belly Up to the Bar Boys" (from "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"), with a big dance routine in the middle. I really wanted to use all of this, but the two musical numbers would have cost a fortune -- and, of course, it runs something like 6-7 minutes... So it was a no-go...

My hope is that the new Carol DVD releases will do so well that they eventually decide to release all these earlier shows, too...

Tjw

This episode ends with a wonderful production number that combines "The Boys in the Back Room" (from the movie version of "Destry Rides Again") with "Belly Up to the Bar Boys" (from "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"), with a big dance routine in the middle. I really wanted to use all of this, but the two musical numbers would have cost a fortune -- and, of course, it runs something like 6-7 minutes... So it was a no-go...

My hope is that the new Carol DVD releases will do so well that they eventually decide to release all these earlier shows, too...

Tjw

But besides having seen those when they aired originally, we've also seen little snippets from both songs in various tributes, one of them was from a Carol compilation for one of those reunion specials i believe.

The Carol Burnett people were very cooperative with us, but because of their pre-existing contracts with Time-Life, etc., they could not allow us to use more than 3-minutes of the sketch... So, we timed it right to the second! Would have loved to have used more, and I think in their hearts Carol's people were sympathetic -- but they could not violate their earlier agreement. Apparently they retain the right to license clips that are 3-minutes or less...

We were excited about using this, because it is from Carol's first season, and was not only Lucy's first appearance on the series, but Tim Conway's as well... I'm guessing this was the first time Lucy and Tim worked together... We seldom get to see Carol clips that date this early in her chronology. Most of the shows that have been issued over the years on her own VHS tapes and DVDs have been from the later years of her series...

Tjw

Thanks for clarifying! I figured the briefness of the clip had to do with license restrictions, but it's great you were able to show even a little of it. Those early CB shows are so rare it's great to catch even a glimpse nowadays.

Mine arrived today! I'm sneaking glances at it, while at work.

"Lucy Gets Diploma" in Italian has very interesting, original opening credits.

Including the opening credit "Con Lucille Ball"----"with".

At first, I though there was NO laugh track, and then I heard a light smattering.

Can't tell if this is canned or they showed it to an Italian audience for their response.

I didn't remember Doris Singleton in the episode.

Was this portion edited out of the official CBS rerun version?

The actor doing Mooney's voice dubbing is doing a great job....Sounds exactly like Gale!

Archived