The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Mine arrived today! I'm sneaking glances at it, while at work.

"Lucy Gets Diploma" in Italian has very interesting, original opening credits.

Including the opening credit "Con Lucille Ball"----"with".

At first, I though there was NO laugh track, and then I heard a light smattering.

Can't tell if this is canned or they showed it to an Italian audience for their response.

I didn't remember Doris Singleton in the episode.

Was this portion edited out of the official CBS rerun version?

The actor doing Mooney's voice dubbing is doing a great job....Sounds exactly like Gale!

Somebody post a screen cap of the opening. I can't wait until Saturday. I'm just surprised they were able to restore the 1967 Emmys but not the 1968 which is "newer."

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at this season now and the first thing that took my breath away was its pristine quality in the visual/audio department.

My goodness, the look is so prestine, and so gorgeous, the sound is so crisp. Its such a breath of fresh air, after seeing so many raggedy copies of the shows from this season. This is probably one of my favorite seasons so far. This and season 2.

Another treat is seeing Lucy do something new and exciting like go on a date, or go to school and be in a crowd of young people, shoot pool lol- a lot of things, besides having things go idiotically strange.

She is in a bunny suit, but for good reason lol

She did go down in quick sand with Benny, but she had good reason, and it was already established that there were people there to (within the plot of the story) pull them out whenever Mrs.Carmichael or Benny would ask for help.

One thing that is different about this season to me, is the absence of the 4th wall.

When watching earlier seasons, or maybe even ILL, Lucy and the characters are often in scenes that look as if some one were just looking into their lives. They weren't playing to the audience. In this season, the delivery is more, I dunno, audience conscious. A lot of panning into the camera AND THEN saying a line, or a lot of body language to the audience to kinda milk the laugh is what I notice. Maybe it has something to do with the cue cards.

One thing Im fascinated by, is Lucys ability to give up her lips in this Little Old Lady scene for the sake of the character. I LOVE IT.

557011_293374494101861_2065336400_n.jpg

I also went nuts over the opening footage extras. Seeing that face, that close up, and that late in her career, just...it just put me in heaven, as I adore every inch of the ladys face.

More on "Gets Her Diploma"---actually pretty good for a Josefsburg/Singer script in that it had a few serious moments, rare for this series especially by this time.

Re: the sudden appearance (and disappearance!) of good friend "Doris". Lucy: "I don't get to see enough of you" Indeed! I wonder if Mary Jane was indisposed that week for some reason...

Like a typical pastiche-y Milt/Ray show, it virtually has no PLOT...just vignettes strung together, more amusing than not in this episode.

And aren't these teachers just a tad bit cruel? On her first day back in high school after 4..er 30 years, they, first have her sit in a broken seat and then put her on the spot and ask her what she remembers.

LS and HL had a very peculiar way of depicting teenagers...just how many teens in 1967 knew the lyrics to "Dem Bones"??

Has anyone ever heard of such a screwball valedictorian policy as this school has? What if you had studied hard all 4 years and gotten a 4 point GPA and the honor was given to some surfboard waxer who schlumped through school and crammed for his finals?

No wonder Patty Martin calls him a "creep".

Can anyone who hasn't graduated go back to public school at any time in their life and get their diploma?

If so, I'm having mine rescinded, re-enrolling and trying out for the wrestling team.

More on "Gets Her Diploma"---actually pretty good for a Josefsburg/Singer script in that it had a few serious moments, rare for this series especially by this time.

Re: the sudden appearance (and disappearance!) of good friend "Doris". Lucy: "I don't get to see enough of you" Indeed! I wonder if Mary Jane was indisposed that week for some reason...

According to the production notes, Mary Jane was ill at the time and couldn't do that episode and "Lucy and Robert Goulet." Lucie took over for Mary Jane as "Dorothy" in the latter episode.

I think the sixth season has the most serious moments of the series. "Lucy's Mystery Guest" and "Lucy and Phil Harris" have to be the most dramatic episodes of the series.

I love Mary in the Mystery Guest episode. Best performance by her on any Lucy series. I also forgot about the emotion of that song Phil Harris sings, he's got tears half way through it.

Something very subtle I noticed at the end of the Ken Berry episode. Watch Gale grab Lucy's hand at the end of the dance number and right before it fades for the credits. Having read in the production notes about her anxiety that week it seemed like a nice little gesture to say, "good job, you got through it.".

According to the production notes, Mary Jane was ill at the time and couldn't do that episode and "Lucy and Robert Goulet." Lucie took over for Mary Jane as "Dorothy" in the latter episode.

I think the sixth season has the most serious moments of the series. "Lucy's Mystery Guest" and "Lucy and Phil Harris" have to be the most dramatic episodes of the series.

I'll be interested to real people's reaction to "Phil Harris".

Haven't re-watched "Mystery Guest" yet, but I remember it contained one of those end-of-episode wrap-up punchlines that I hated. Aunt Mary's obsession with health foods was only so she could keep her relatives healthy enough so that she could continue to visit them!!

"Goulet" contains one of my favorite Vanda Barra moments: "A BU-OWL OF HAWT WAHTEH???" and "Eat Hearty".

Cash-strapped Lucy making a meal out of the hot water and condiments is a good moment spotlighting Lucy's ingenuity.

Watched 22 of the 24 so far. Most of them have something to offer.

These are the episodes that I'd never seen before that really surprised me:

~ "Lucy And Carol Burnett (1)" [Hilarious.]

~ "Lucy Gets Involved" [Great physical stuff.]

~ "Lucy And The Stolen Stole" [This one just really amused me. LOL when Lucy and Mooney kept throwing the coat at each other.]

Definitely my favorite of the Hollywood seasons!

Noticed tonight the stole Lucy borrows for the bank dinner from Mary Jane is the one that turns up as stolen a few episodes later.

I also found one of those creepy ceramic cats again. It's on the table as Lucy exits a room. It's yellow. I think it is the French Movie star episode, but I've watched so many they are starting to run together. Were these cats a popular item in the day? I feel compelled to find one.

I also found one of those creepy ceramic cats again. It's on the table as Lucy exits a room. It's yellow. I think it is the French Movie star episode, but I've watched so many they are starting to run together. Were these cats a popular item in the day? I feel compelled to find one.

Does it have to be yellow?

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=210701

post-738-003526400 1350013685_thumb.jpg

One thing I have noticed about the set (and this is NOT a criticism in any way) is that the vintage credits and trims appear to be playing a hair faster than they should. Obviously it's not a huge deal and I'm delighted to see them at all, but it's amazing what the human eye is able to discern about movement.

I agree on the keep smiling feature. Such s beautiful closeup on her eyes. Wow. I keep coming back to that one too.

No argument here. I was stunned when I saw that footage for the first time... But I love the way Lucy looks throughout this sixth season, both beautiful and glamorous... I've never quite understood why she made such a change between this and her Season One Here's Lucy/Lucy Carter "look." I never cared for that shorter hair, etc., but short hair may have been more stylish that year, and I suppose Lucy Carmichael '68 might have been a little too glamorous for a working mother of two struggling to make ends meet... Oddly enough, IF that was the reason she looked less glamorous in HL/Season 1, apparently the art director did not "get the memo," because the Carter home has to be one of the most beautiful sets in all of television (a far cry from the Ricardo's first apartment on East 68th street)... but I digress...

That Lucy footage is stunning!!!

T.

No argument here. I was stunned when I saw that footage for the first time... But I love the way Lucy looks throughout this sixth season, both beautiful and glamorous... I've never quite understood why she made such a change between this and her Season One Here's Lucy/Lucy Carter "look." I never cared for that shorter hair, etc., but short hair may have been more stylish that year, and I suppose Lucy Carmichael '68 might have been a little too glamorous for a working mother of two struggling to make ends meet... Oddly enough, IF that was the reason she looked less glamorous in HL/Season 1, apparently the art director did not "get the memo," because the Carter home has to be one of the most beautiful sets in all of television (a far cry from the Ricardo's first apartment on East 68th street)... but I digress...

That Lucy footage is stunning!!!

T.

I never understood the change either. Or maybe they wanted to age her a bit more. But honestly, all of these little behind the scenes shots from openings are my favorite on TLS and HL DVDs.

Going through almost the entirety of Season Six again, it was such a master stroke to make Mr. Cheever a regular. It is a very refreshing change of pace to have Cheever on board both as someone who can bring Mr. Mooney down to earth, as well as a foil for the crack team of Carmichael and Mooney, and a common foe. Another great move is the somewhat evolving teasing relationship between Mooney and Mary Jane, which continued between Mary Jane and Harry.

Going through almost the entirety of Season Six again, it was such a master stroke to make Mr. Cheever a regular. It is a very refreshing change of pace to have Cheever on board both as someone who can bring Mr. Mooney down to earth, as well as a foil for the crack team of Carmichael and Mooney, and a common foe. Another great move is the somewhat evolving teasing relationship between Mooney and Mary Jane, which continued between Mary Jane and Harry.

Agree! I first encountered Roy Roberts as Captain Huxley, a similar character as Cheever, on the old Gale Storm series, OH! SUSANNA (in the late 1950s, long before most of you were born!)... Same blustery chief... It makes me smile when he totally breaks character in the Frankie Avalon episode and joins in the dancing with Gale. At that point, they have totally thrown the script away and are performing a show FOR US, not for the talent scout... I know the purists don't like this kind of thing, but I do...

Having a Season 6 marathon tonight -Now at Lucy and Carols big number for the air lines, and besides seeing the entire show shimmer with magic, I also think about how fun these shows must have been.

I sometimes feel Lucy had an advantage over the normal comedienne at the time, she didn't have to chose between broadway or TV-or even movies.

In some ways, she had both and could easily work movies into the schedule.

In one show, she could sit and reminisce about being with Viv, and not have an audience, and still be working-OR - she

could invite Carol Burnett,for a HUGE broadway type show like this LUCY+CAROL number.

She had the opportunity to work with the many stars she wanted to work with, and yet have material change on a consistent basis, which is why she didnt like doing the same script over and over and over, every night- it just seemed like TV was more than just a place she was featured on, but she really was the queen of it.

Theres a part of me that wishes Carol Burnett was written in as Lucy's sister that comes in from time to time.

THE ONLY problem I have with season 6 is its continuity of the material itself.

She doesn't remember Carol as her roommate!!? I know its Carol as a different Carol lol, but why not have just made it the same Carol Lucy met in the earlier season?

I dunno, who cares, it was an AWESOME SHOW, and to think Lucy is in her 50s! prancing around like she's in her twenties!!

Having a Season 6 marathon tonight -Now at Lucy and Carols big number for the air lines, and beyond seeing the entire show simmer with magic, I also think about how fun these shows must have been.

I sometimes feel Lucy had an advantage over the normal comedienne at the time, she didn't have to chose between broadway or TV-

In some ways, she had both. In one show, she could sit and reminisce about being with Viv, and not have an audience, and still be working-OR - she

could invite Carol Burnett,for a HUGE broadway like show as this. She had the opportunity to work with many stars she wanted to work with, it just seemed like TV was more than just a place she was featured on, but she really was the queen of it.

Theres a part of me that wishes Carol Burnett was written in as Lucy's sister that comes in from time to time.

THE ONLY problem I have with season 6 is its continuity on the material itself.

She doesn't remember Carol as her roommate!!? I know its Carol as a different Carol lol, but why not have just made it the same Carol Lucy met in the earlier season?

I dunno, who cares, it was an AWESOME SHOW, and to think Lucy is in her 50s! prancing around like she's in her twenties!!

Never heard it put quite that way before but as Lucy herself once said IT'S LIKE THEY DID THIS LITTLE BROADWAY SHOW each week, you're right!

Archived