Lucy Fest 2013 -- August 1 - 4

Brock

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why people can object to such a move. It can only create more jobs -- both in the construction and renovations and in its continued operations -- and bring more tourist dollars into the city. They have said that there should be more focus on bringing manufacturing jobs. Well, obviously, but you can have both. There were also comments about looking back to its former pre-Lucy glory for revitalization, but what else is there? They have the Roger Tory Peterson Institute, the R.H. Jackson Centre, and the various tributes to Lucy throughout Town, the three people who put Jamestown on the map for those outside the Chautauqua Region. What else do they suggest, a furniture museum? Well, that might not be a bad idea, actually, but what else is there that would highlight the past but also bring in the tourists?

Big article in Post-Journal this a.m.; will share when I have a moment to spare; (see Train Station, this thread, for a brief)

Guess I'm glad I waited; yesterday's article was about upcoming 'events' of LucyFest '13; today's Post-Journal 4/14/13, has front page, left column, article, continuing to page 3, 4 columns:

HEADLINE: Comedy Brings Groups Together - Lucy-Desi Center, Ice Arena work Toward Common Goal, by Ryan Atkins - "Generous grants from area foundations and partnerships with major organizations are bringing the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center one step closer to realizing its goal of making Jamestown a hub of humor.

News conference Friday, joined by recent business and economic development partners including Jim Wise, senior V.P. marketing president for Seneca Gaming; Tony Conte, CEO, Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo; as well as Chau. Co. Exec., Greg Edwards.

"Lucille Ball's vision was her hometown, Jamestown, as a hub of humor and place that would celebrate the comedic arts," Gunderson, Exec. Dir., Center.

"The creation of a national center for comedy - LucyFest, comedic arts education, a comedy film festival, and that creation....the four pillars...""

....Nostalgia and ('I Love Lucy') fandom, mixed with contemorary comedy."

"The comedy film festival will be soft-launched during this year's Lucy Fest, and will include screenings of independent comedy film and classic comedies at the Gateway Train Station, all curated by and programmed with the help of Jeff Clark, E.D., Boonies Film Festival."

This is all paraphrased by me, of course; the PLAN and the multi-talented persons involved in this gigantic effort are outlined, and detailled in this morning's article. I urge those of you interested, and aren't we ALL?, to read the article, which is extensively outlined in two pages and six columns. PLEASE READ IT, IN ITS ENTIRETY......

It is my BELIEF, that what Jamestown needs is the support of Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz fans, as it always HAS; but, for the future, WE NEED THE FANS, in great numbers, more than ever, to help make this corner of NYS, the Lucille Ball Tribute it is destined to be with our help.....

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kellogg

Here is a link to the article Joyce mentioned: http://www.post-jour...r.html?nav=5192

There seem to be many pros & cons to this. Some that come to mind for me:

PRO -- more tourism = more money that can help keep the Lucy museums open.

CON -- Lucy may eventually be swallowed up & phased out by all the other pillars of comedy they are trying to create.

PRO -- Lucy wanted her legacy to be about helping others break into the comedy industry, rather than just fans coming to a museum to admire her. (I didn't know until I read the third paragraph of this article that Lucy actually discussed her wishes about a museum & her legacy before she died. I had assumed before that this was the Centers idea, their way to try to increase funding).

CON -- according to the article, future plans for LucyFests will not be fully focused on Lucy but will include contemporary comedy. Again, I'm concerned she may be phased out.

PRO -- A conga workshop in honor of Desi Arnaz. I like that!

CON -- "The comedy film festival will be soft-launched during this year's Lucy Fest ..." This raises a red flag for me. If, say,half the events are focused on new comedy during a 'soft-launch', how much Lucy will be left the following year? The best judges of this will be fans who have attended past Lucy Fests.

PRO -- It looks like they did a lot of research. Having events year round will generate a lot of income for the town. It's a good bet that many tourists coming to see non-Lucy comedy would probably visit the Lucy museums, too. Then they wouldn't have to rely on just Lucy events once or twice a year to survive financially.

CON -- they are looking to bring in an international audience, but are they ready? Are there enough restaurants, hotels, airport access, etc to accomodate all these people & make the experience a good one so that they will want to return?

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months & years. I'm already looking forward to reviews of the 2013 Lucy Fest by Lucy Loungers here, to see what they think compared to past years.

4/14/13 Post-Journal - Question of the Day (front page/bottom) to give your answer, go to http://www.post-journal.com - we could flood them, TODAY, with replies:

"Would a comedy hall of fame be a good addition to downtown Jamestown?"

I KNOW what Jamestown readers will reply; let's show them OUR thoughts. Fondly, JK

I am awaiting a call from Scott for the exact numbers, as the paper only states percentages - when he calls, I shall return and post the numbers.

The Post-Journal: Question of the Day - Would a Comedy Hall of Fame be a good addition to downtown Jamestown? - “Yes 53%; No 47%,” published this date in 2013.

4/14/13 - From The Sunday Post-Journal: (as I promised; article in part furthering my yesterday's post):

Comedy Brings Groups Together - Lucy-Desi Center, Ice Arena Work toward Common Goal, by Ryan Atkins

"Generous grants from area foundations and partnerships with major organizations are bringing the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center one step closer to realizing the goal of making Jamestown a hub of humor.

...Gunderson hosted a news conference Friday, joined by recent business and economic development partners including senior vice president of marketing for Seneca Gaming; CEO, Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, and Chautauqua County Exec. Greg Edwards."

Gunderson: 'Lucille Ball's vision for her legacy, which she discussed with the Arts Council of Chautauqua County before her death in 1989, was for it to be celebrated in the form of living, breathing, contemporary comedy. She knew that a museum attraction was inevitable; but she was much less about idol worship and much more about the power of comedy and using her brand name to help new comedians break into the industry. Her vision was her hometown, Jamestown as a hub of humor and a place that would celebrate the comedic arts.'

"Friday's press conference focused on the 'four pillars' that the Lucy-Desi Center is attempting to build upon - Lucy Fest, comedic arts education, a comedy film festival, and the creation of a national center for comedy. To aid with the second pillar - comedic arts education - the Lucy-Desi Center has partnered with Infinity Visual and Performing Arts, Chautauqua County, to help by presenting fesitval classes in improv comedy, Lucy-themed artwork taught by mural artist, Gary Peters, and an into to conga workshop in honor of Desi Arnaz. The comedy film festival will be soft-launched during this year's Fest, including screening of independent comedy film and classic comedies at the Gateway Train Station with the assistance of Jeff Clark, executive director of Boonies Film Festival."

The fourth pillar is the most aggressive: a comedy hall of fame; looking at more than 20 comparables - museums, national attractions, halls of fame around the country; and one thing coming out of the study is ongoing programming is key to attractions staying afloat; keeping people coming back; an experienced tourist destination, a museum of comedy, an entertainment and performance venue, an incubator for the industry, a point of local heritage and a community center for the arts. Thanks to the support of the Gebbie Foundation and the John R. Oishei Foundations, the L-D Center is beginning to move forward in that vision.

The Jamestown Savings Bank Ice Arena now houses a stand-up comedy night event, further establishing Jamestown as a comedy landmark, and other businesses have begun to make the foray into the stand-up world. The Arena will also partner up with the L-D Center and Chautauqua Striders hosting a half-marathon and 5K race, along with bring more comedy to the area over Columbus Day weekend."

Respectfully submitted, JK

P.S. HAD I BEEN INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO READ AHEAD INSTEAD OF JUST POSTING, COULD HAVE SAVED SOME TIME; BUT, HERE IS SOME OF THE ARTICLE - AGAIN - ANYWAY FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT CHOOSE TO LOG ON TO POST-JOURNAL; THANKS VIVFANTOO, FOR YOUR INPUT; THE WAY IT WAS PRESENTED TO ME BY A FORMER BOARD MEMBER OF THE CENTER, HER CITY HAS MUCH COMEDY; AND PEOPLE COME FROM ALL AROUND; IT HAS GIVEN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND A MUCH-NEEDED FRESHER-UPPER;; SO, LET'S HOPE IT WORKS HERE; JAMESTOWN COULD USE A BOOST, TOO.

FYI-The train station is amazing. Joyce, you can stop there anytime-it's open during the day for bus folks. Take a walk through! It's impressive:)

Thanks, Mary; just went back and realized I posted WITHOUT reading the posts after mine of yesterday; probably should erase it; but, there might be stuff I left out of yesterday's post; was in a hurry to a benefit for one of our locals; who made himself a paraplegic last Christmas Eve, making some repairs at his home, and fell off the roof;

WHAT A HUGE SUCCESS his benefit was!!!!

Scott called with the exact; voting numbers:

The Post-Journal: Question of the Day - Would a Comedy Hall of Fame be a good addition to downtown Jamestown? - “Yes 52.7% 175; No 47.3% 157,” published this date in 2013.

That's pretty tight. lol

Here is a link to the article Joyce mentioned: http://www.post-jour...r.html?nav=5192

There seem to be many pros & cons to this. Some that come to mind for me:

PRO -- more tourism = more money that can help keep the Lucy museums open.

CON -- Lucy may eventually be swallowed up & phased out by all the other pillars of comedy they are trying to create.

PRO -- Lucy wanted her legacy to be about helping others break into the comedy industry, rather than just fans coming to a museum to admire her. (I didn't know until I read the third paragraph of this article that Lucy actually discussed her wishes about a museum & her legacy before she died. I had assumed before that this was the Centers idea, their way to try to increase funding).

CON -- according to the article, future plans for LucyFests will not be fully focused on Lucy but will include contemporary comedy. Again, I'm concerned she may be phased out.

PRO -- A conga workshop in honor of Desi Arnaz. I like that!

CON -- "The comedy film festival will be soft-launched during this year's Lucy Fest ..." This raises a red flag for me. If, say,half the events are focused on new comedy during a 'soft-launch', how much Lucy will be left the following year? The best judges of this will be fans who have attended past Lucy Fests.

PRO -- It looks like they did a lot of research. Having events year round will generate a lot of income for the town. It's a good bet that many tourists coming to see non-Lucy comedy would probably visit the Lucy museums, too. Then they wouldn't have to rely on just Lucy events once or twice a year to survive financially.

CON -- they are looking to bring in an international audience, but are they ready? Are there enough restaurants, hotels, airport access, etc to accomodate all these people & make the experience a good one so that they will want to return?

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months & years. I'm already looking forward to reviews of the 2013 Lucy Fest by Lucy Loungers here, to see what they think compared to past years.

I totally agree with this, the center is totally starting to phase Lucy out. Just several years ago, the festival revolved around Lucy, and now with the aspect of the Comedy Center (which I am all for, comics should totally gain their recognition) the number of Lucy related events seem to be slowly deteriorating. As much I am all for the creation of the Comedy Hall of Fame, the center needs to realize that people aren't coming from all over the country (and world) to pay and watch comics the entire festival, but to recognize Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. I think the comedy is great, but I certainly don't come 7.5 hours for that the entire time. They are paying most of their attention to their pillars, and Lucy is no longer their driving force. I think that building this hall of fame will just be another huge step in phasing out their goal to "preserve the legacy of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz."

Better not bring my Master Card or the center might lose most of it's LUCY stock while i'm there, i can see the headline now, LUCY CENTER SELLS OUT STOCK IN ONE DAY!

Hi Brock,

Please do go to the Festival and DO take your MasterCard and buy lots of stuff! Merchandise sales are not great right now due to our economy. And help from you would be appreciated. It was fun visiting the Forum today. Haven't been here for a few months. Fun to catch up. Hope you are well & happy. Thank you for the time & work you put in to making this Forum so nice and easy to navigate.

xoxo Amy

Please do go to the Festival and DO take your MasterCard and buy lots of stuff! Merchandise sales are not great right now due to our economy. And help from you would be appreciated. It was fun visiting the Forum today. Haven't been here for a few months. Fun to catch up. Hope you are well & happy. Thank you for the time & work you put in to making this Forum so nice and easy to navigate. xoxo Amy

Dear Amy:

Welcome back after such a long time; hoping all is well with you, Desi, and YOURS.... Have a great summer....

Nearly done editing the chronology, which has grown to over 800 pages; ready to get it off to iUniverse, before it puts me in a rubber room - 8 years plus is a long time to be living in the life of Lucy; and I've barely scratched the surface.

Fondly,

Joyce Kellogg

Bought my tix a couple nights ago. I'm going to have to miss some of the more groovy sounding things, since we won't be getting in until late Thursday night. I'm super pumped that Wanda will be back, though. LOVE her! Looking forward to seeing you again, Brock and Joyce, and it'll be great to meet you, Taylor! :)

• 2 months later...

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Lucille Ball Comedy Festival Announces Partnerships, New Events, by Dusten Rader - “The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy has teamed up with the Ellicottville Summer Music Festival and national partner, Pandora Comedy, to bring two new events to the region. The Lucille Ball Comedy Festival will produce a night of comedy called the “Ellicottville Mountain of Laughs” for its regional partner, Ellicottville Summer Music Festival, July 5, and a “Comics to Watch” showcase for Pandora Comedy, Thursday, August 1, part of the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival Jamestown, N.Y.,” published this date in 2013.

Ellicottville: Our winter ski resort area, with summer activities, is east on I-86, to SR-219, approximately 40 miles from Jamestown; and about half-way between here and Buffalo.

Archived