Here's Lucy - No Emmy - Why?!

Would I be correct in stating that after reading these posts people really ONLY like Here's Lucy simply because Lucy is in it? Otherwise you all think it's pretty ordinary overall?

I was excited to have Lucy working with her own two kids, i loved almost all the great guest stars, the plots were sometimes very weak, she lacked being surrounded by oddballs the way Mary did it, but yes, i tuned in to see LUCY, i would have watched her read the phone book, yes, you got me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, in my opinion.

Even more so than in THE LUCY SHOW, the writers did Lucy wrong. She deserved better. If anything, that's why she never won. But, it is what it is. And people watched, like we do, because any Lucy is good Lucy.

However, the Lucy/Harry relationship is a definite improvement over the Lucy/Mooney relationship. And since the series is generally substandard, it has the opportunity to surprise you with little moments of hilarity. (I feel similarly about RHODA.)

A couple of brilliant episodes including, off the top of my head: "Lucy, The Fixer" and "A Date For Lucy."

TRUE, very true. I've said it before, it was Gale's biggest fan who wised me up to Lucy the Fixer. I thought it was all old hat, repeating old formulas, but now, decades later, i see it as TV's Laurel and Hardy doing some of their best work, effortlessly as usual.

TRUE, very true. I've said it before, it was Gale's biggest fan who wised me up to Lucy the Fixer. I thought it was all old hat, repeating old formulas, but now, decades later, i see it as TV's Laurel and Hardy doing some of their best work, effortlessly as usual.

I agree Claude - as you remember - I wasn't wised up to Lucy The Fixer until YOU told me otherwise and now frankly I <3 that episode! Thank you for making me see it in a different light. You had to understand that I come from a different generation - maybe that's why my favourite episode if The Generation Gap?

Would I be correct in stating that after reading these posts people really ONLY like Here's Lucy simply because Lucy is in it? Otherwise you all think it's pretty ordinary overall?

I have a love for classic TV so I believe I would've watched it, a rare watching though. I would watch it for some of the physical comedy. But of course its Lucy so we all watch it and get the best out of it.

EXACTLY, now they're making up for that fact with the way they treat lovely Betty White, wish they'd done that for Lucy.

AMEN! People will watch anything Betty White does, even Hot In Cleveland. Not a very good show in my opinion, rip off of The Golden Girls. Don't get me wrong I worship Betty and she deserves this, but Lucy did too. But of course Lucy didn't play the outspoken lofty mouthed elderly woman like Betty plays.

I think you're over-simplifying this. Many people like Here's Lucy just because of Lucy, but there are other reasons. Personally, I like Here's Lucy for the chemestry between the three principals as well as the supporting cast and -- when it comes to Seasons 4 through 6 -- the writing, which is excellent. To critique Here's Lucy I think it is best to look at it in two halves. Seasons one, two and three are wildy different from (and inferior to, IMO) seaons four, five, and six, particulary in terms of writing, performances, character development, and overall quality.

I think you're over-simplifying this. Many people like Here's Lucy just because of Lucy, but there are other reasons. Personally, I like Here's Lucy for the chemestry between the three principals as well as the supporting cast and -- when it comes to Seasons 4 through 6 -- the writing, which is excellent. To critique Here's Lucy I think it is best to look at it in two halves. Seasons one, two and three are wildy different from (and inferior to, IMO) seaons four, five, and six, particulary in terms of writing, performances, character development, and overall quality.

Hear Hear! I agree actually, although I don't think any season is better or worse - I find it hard to rate the seasons of Here's Lucy - there are equal good and bad episodes in them - well, I forget Season 6 - will have to see after I watch it when it comes out.

Hear Hear! I agree actually, although I don't think any season is better or worse - I find it hard to rate the seasons of Here's Lucy - there are equal good and bad episodes in them - well, I forget Season 6 - will have to see after I watch it when it comes out.

Season 6 -- home of such classics as Lucy Is NG as an RN, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball, Lucy Plays Cops & Robbers, Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight?, Lucy Fights The System, Lucy's Tenant, Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song & Dance (See Left), Lucy & Chuck Connors Have A Surprise Slumber Party...

Season 6 -- home of such classics as Lucy Is NG as an RN, Mary Jane's Boyfriend, Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball, Lucy Plays Cops & Robbers, Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight?, Lucy Fights The System, Lucy's Tenant, Lucy Gives Eddie Albert The Old Song & Dance (See Left), Lucy & Chuck Connors Have A Surprise Slumber Party...

Oh absolutely, i loved the show, and usually defend it, but i'm old and tired now so i gave in to only watching because it was Lucy and the writing was not as great as ILL, it's what i've been hearing and reading and fighting my entire life. They should really call it a tribute to ILL as they stole so many of the early plots and reworked them for this show. The ring stuck on the finger alone has seen more performances than South Pacific!

Oh absolutely, i loved the show, and usually defend it, but i'm old and tired now so i gave in to only watching because it was Lucy and the writing was not as great as ILL, it's what i've been hearing and reading and fighting my entire life. They should really call it a tribute to ILL as they stole so many of the early plots and reworked them for this show.

That reminds me of the point I wanted to make in the last post but got sidetracked.

With many documentarians, filmmakers, biographers, and others going out of their way to make it seem like nothing much happened in Lucy's life after March 1960, it has conditioned people -- maybe even the more casual fans -- to automatically (and sight unseen) dismiss The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy as inferior and a footnote to the "Lucy" canon.

That reminds me of the point I wanted to make in the last post but got sidetracked.

With many documentarians, filmmakers, biographers, and others going out of their way to make it seem like nothing much happened in Lucy's life after March 1960, it has conditioned people -- maybe even the more casual fans -- to automatically (and sight unseen) dismiss The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy as inferior and a footnote to the "Lucy" canon.

So true, which you would think all these DVD reissues of both series would dispell in the public's minds, very soon i hope. Brock, isn't it annoying as hell to see that new Network, Comedy Gold keep playing the same damn shows over and over, i am so sick of the ones on right now that i actually watched something else. Needless to say Drafted had it's 40th showing in two months a few days ago.

Oh absolutely, i loved the show, and usually defend it, but i'm old and tired now so i gave in to only watching because it was Lucy and the writing was not as great as ILL, it's what i've been hearing and reading and fighting my entire life. They should really call it a tribute to ILL as they stole so many of the early plots and reworked them for this show. The ring stuck on the finger alone has seen more performances than Hamlet.

Doncha mean more performances than South Pacific? :viv2::lucyhaha:

EXACTLY, now they're making up for that fact with the way they treat lovely Betty White, wish they'd done that for Lucy.

They probably would have if Lucy had lived long enough, it does seem even though Hollywood isn't really sentimental it is much kinder to it's legends when their in their eighties and "eternal" rather than just their seventies and "old". Look at George Burns, Betty, and your girl Angie who just had another birthday the other day.

They probably would have if Lucy had lived long enough, it does seem even though Hollywood isn't really sentimental it is much kinder to it's legends when their in their eighties and "eternal" rather than just their seventies and "old". Look at George Burns, Betty, and your girl Angie who just had another birthday the other day.

angie who? LOL! When i think back at that Emmy tribute where i think it was a blind barely any hair left Bob Hope, maybe Milton Berle and Sid Caesar, all standing or sitting but not moving getting a hand, i'd rather just remember them the way they were rather then watch them get a pitiful ovation in sympathy in their very last public appearance.

Thank you! So much more to her than those 20 years with Desi, hell some people only know of the 50's with her. Quite disappointing, I think that's why I cling to after 50's Lucy, there was so much more than I Love Lucy.

Betty White is honestly the most known of course. She does the bad ass, sassy, grandma roles and people love that stuff. Whereas with Lucille she wasn't the type to bring that type of role. Her role on TV will always be Lucy. The only role they will accept is Lucy and the role they will shoot down if it isn't exactly like Lucy Ricardo. So it was a lose lose situation.

I still think she shouldve gotten a guest appearance on The Golden Girls. That would have been perfect.

Betty White is honestly the most known of course. She does the bad ass, sassy, grandma roles and people love that stuff. Whereas with Lucille she wasn't the type to bring that type of role. Her role on TV will always be Lucy. The only role they will accept is Lucy and the role they will shoot down if it isn't exactly like Lucy Ricardo. So it was a lose lose situation.

I still think she shouldve gotten a guest appearance on The Golden Girls. That would have been perfect.

Actually, Lucy was offered a guest-spot in Golden Girls, but she turned it down -- for a couple of reasons. First, the role was that of Betty/Rose's blind sister... This was just after Lucy had done "Stone Pillow," and she was fearful of doing two such "heavy" parts back-to-back. Polly Holiday ("Flo") was ultimately given the role... It was NOT a laugh-a-minute episode, and Lucy was hoping to find something lighter to follow "Pillow." She thought any show that had her name, plus that of the other four ladies on it's marquee ought to be a true comedy, not one of the heavier shows...

The second, and possibly even more important reason, was that she had some serious dental work scheduled for the exact week that the show was being taped. She checked with the dentist, and he was booked solid, so it would be a month or more before they could reschedule Lucy's dental appointments. My personal guess is that HAD the Golden Girl script been lighter and a real laugh getter, she'd have rearranged her dental work, but because things were as they were, she just passed on the offer... I'm only sorry they didn't ask a second time...

Tjw

Actually, Lucy was offered a guest-spot in Golden Girls, but she turned it down -- for a couple of reasons. First, the role was that of Betty/Rose's blind sister... This was just after Lucy had done "Stone Pillow," and she was fearful of doing two such "heavy" parts back-to-back. Polly Holiday ("Flo") was ultimately given the role... It was NOT a laugh-a-minute episode, and Lucy was hoping to find something lighter to follow "Pillow." She thought any show that had her name, plus that of the other four ladies on it's marquee ought to be a true comedy, not one of the heavier shows...

The second, and possibly even more important reason, was that she had some serious dental work scheduled for the exact week that the show was being taped. She checked with the dentist, and he was booked solid, so it would be a month or more before they could reschedule Lucy's dental appointments. My personal guess is that HAD the Golden Girl script been lighter and a real laugh getter, she'd have rearranged her dental work, but because things were as they were, she just passed on the offer... I'm only sorry they didn't ask a second time...

Tjw

I just watched that episode last night! I did not know this! Thanks for the interesting information. I really wish they would've given her another script, that script wouldn't have been a very good choice for Lucy anyways. But she would be perfect for one of Rose's relatives in another episode. Too bad. I really wish they could have given her another script with her in mind. I'm glad she was considered though.

I just watched that episode last night! I did not know this! Thanks for the interesting information. I really wish they would've given her another script, that script wouldn't have been a very good choice for Lucy anyways. But she would be perfect for one of Rose's relatives in another episode. Too bad. I really wish they could have given her another script with her in mind. I'm glad she was considered though.

Oh please! She would have made the most of it! No knocking the wundaful Polly ("Flo") Holliday but Lucy would have made it her own! It is shameful they never thought to ask her again!

And think of the wonderful opportunity for a Lucy Carmichael "Has a Horse Guest" -type interaction with Bea/Dorothy: "Gee, you sure look familiar. Don't I know you from someplace?? (Beekman Place, that is!) :lucythrill:

Oh please! She would have made the most of it! No knocking the wundaful Polly ("Flo") Holliday but Lucy would have made it her own! It is shameful they never thought to ask her again!

And think of the wonderful opportunity for a Lucy Carmichael "Has a Horse Guest" -type interaction with Bea/Dorothy: "Gee, you sure look familiar. Don't I know you from someplace?? (Beekman Place, that is!) :lucythrill:

I know she would have make the most of it. But c'mon Lucy is made for comedy and for her to guest star on a comedy sitcom and do a more heavy dramatic role that would be a crime! Haha. Imagine the 4 girls and Lucy having a great comedy script?! That would've blown TV out of the water!

Or even some refer to "Here's Lucy" as "The Lucy Show" with her children being added to the cast.

Thanks to everyone for such a vast array of answers and all very informative. It's funny though because Lucy won two Emmy's for The Lucy Show YET the majority of people who don't know a huge amount about Lucille will only remember her for I LOVE LUCY and HERE'S LUCY (or as they say "The show with her two kids"). I don't think I've EVER had someone mention The Lucy Show and frankly, people don't remember it.

Thanks to everyone for such a vast array of answers and all very informative. It's funny though because Lucy won two Emmy's for The Lucy Show YET the majority of people who don't know a huge amount about Lucille will only remember her for I LOVE LUCY and HERE'S LUCY (or as they say "The show with her two kids"). I don't think I've EVER had someone mention The Lucy Show and frankly, people don't remember it.

Usually The Lucy Show is more remembered when I speak about it. But that's my experience. I have a lot of relatives that love classic everything, plus friends in that area. But other than that I'm lucky if they know I Love Lucy now. :/

People who know all three always say 'I Love Lucy was phenomenal, The Lucy Show was good, and Here's Lucy not so good.'

The Lucy Show had a much bigger life in reruns in the US than it did in Australia. It was the reverse with Here's Lucy. People remember The Lucy Show; it just gets overlooked like most of Lucy's non-I Love Lucy work.

Archived