Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

Let's do this!

Mikidiki will be using this board the most. :)

Here's one.

Season 1 of I Love Lucy is my all-time favorite Lucy season of all series. Most of my favorite episodes come out of this season, I know it was all just getting started. But there is something about those episodes.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confession 1: I actually really like "Drafted"

Confession 2: I also really enjoy "Lucy Writes a Play"

Confession 3: Many seem to consider season 4 of "The Lucy Show" the weakest Lucille Ball TV season ever, but I personally feel that honor belongs to season 1 of "Here's Lucy". There are a few gems here and there, but I seldom watch any of it.

1. I love Mooney The Monkey and Lucy The Babysitter - in fact, any episode with animals real or costumed I find very amusing and rank as my favourites.

2. I don't particularly care for Lucy's pre I Love Lucy movies. In fact if Lucille Ball had not gotten in to television I don't think her career would have taken off.

1. I love Mooney The Monkey and Lucy The Babysitter - in fact, any episode with animals real or costumed I find very amusing and rank as my favourites.

2. I don't particularly care for Lucy's pre I Love Lucy movies. In fact if Lucille Ball had not gotten in to television I don't think her career would have taken off.

FIRST one I agree with completely! She has this way with animals, it's remarkable. I especially love Lucy Buys A Sheep.

Let's do this!

Mikidiki will be using this board the most. :)

Here's one.

Season 1 of I Love Lucy is my all-time favorite Lucy season of all series. Most of my favorite episodes come out of this season, I know it was all just getting started. But there is something about those episodes.

It's my least favorite season of ILL, tied with the sixth. BUT, The Fur Coat is one of my all time faves of the whole series and it aired in season one.

:marionstrong: No doubt!

Confession #1: My name is Brock and I like Lucy & The Astronauts. LOL

Confession #2: I don't particularly care for The Big Street.

When praising Lucy in The Big Street, i always emphasize that it's the best acting part she ever did, the movie however is not the greatest, that i will admit. It's very BROADWAY and not for everyone.

Confession 1: I actually really like "Drafted"

Confession 2: I also really enjoy "Lucy Writes a Play"

Confession 3: Many seem to consider season 4 of "The Lucy Show" the weakest Lucille Ball TV season ever, but I personally feel that honor belongs to season 1 of "Here's Lucy". There are a few gems here and there, but I seldom watch any of it.

I petitioned CBS to tell them they'd sell a lot more ILL boxed sets if they'd only omit Drafted from the shows on there. The fake crying scene alone makes me cringe. And Lucy writes a play is not much better, HOWEVER, when we despise something, upon repeated viewings, and adding forty years of age or so, i can find something in each show to make it tolerable and Lucy's mugging as she pantomines her every word while writing the play now makes it a delight for me, well, at least that particular sequence of the show. I also thought the very first season of Here's Lucy was the best as it presented her in that great GENERATION GAP between her and her real life kids and Lucy looked so damned young in those shorter wigs or hairstyles that it's the season i watch the most.

Ok as penence for stating something as vile as Lucy and animal eps are good, i sentence you to go watch the Danny Kaye one till you puke. While i agree her lousy B movies were not the best, she would have been a star still had she never done tv. But she made up for it on her tv shows by acting with many of the stars she acted with in film but with only slightly better scripts for tv, LOL!

Ok as penence for stating something as vile as Lucy and animal eps are good, i sentence you to go watch the Danny Kaye one till you puke. While i agree her lousy B movies were not the best, she would have been a star still had she never done tv. But she made up for it on her tv shows by acting with many of the stars she acted with in film but with only slightly better scripts for tv, LOL!

I like the animal episodes! I like seeing Lucy work with animals. She had such a love of animals, it's just magic.

One of my favorite things is to watch is her early movies. To see how her acting improved, plus we get to see her in a different light, and look at how fricking gorgeous she looked!

:marionstrong: No doubt!

Confession #1: My name is Brock and I like Lucy & The Astronauts. LOL

Confession #2: I don't particularly care for The Big Street.

AMEN to the last one. I get super duper bored when watching The Big Street. But Lucy's acting is PHENOMENAL in that film. I try to just watch her scenes if I do pop it in, especially the last scene. Her greatest acting of all time.

It's my least favorite season of ILL, tied with the sixth. BUT, The Fur Coat is one of my all time faves of the whole series and it aired in season one.

Everyone says that. Of course 6th is my least, but there is just something about that first season.. I don't know.

Everyone says that. Of course 6th is my least, but there is just something about that first season.. I don't know.

I dun't thin anything is great when watching people work out the kinks in something, i'd rather see her in the Hollywood shows where she is not only funny but sophisticated and has everything on the show running like a well written, produced, directed and acted professional television show that actually deserves the title of best show E V E R ! But hey, that's just me, LOL! :lucythrill:

I dun't thin anything is great when watching people work out the kinks in something, i'd rather see her in the Hollywood shows where she is not only funny but sophisticated and has everything on the show running like a well written, produced, directed and acted professional television show that actually deserves the title of best show E V E R ! But hey, that's just me, LOL! :lucythrill:

I thought it was pretty excellent for just starting out. I don't know. I just love each and every one of the first season episodes, well besides Drafted.

Well here's one that might make sense more..

My favorite episodes are without Ricky Jr born yet but my other favorites are the pregnancy episodes. THEN Hollywood. Dun't ask me why.

LOL! That really would be torture! :lucythrill:

Depends on how you define "taken off" - she was a star before ILL and if she'd never had a tv series I think she would still have something of a fan following today among movie buffs at least because she's sensational in a least a dozen pre-1951 films and very good in everything else. Of course a lot of the idea that she was a failure in movies is Lucy's own fault because of her downplaying her film career in later interviews but all of her 1940's films were "A" movies and she almost always received excellent reviews. No she didn't reach superstardom ala Hepburn, Davis, Colbert, Grable, Hayworth but she was very much a star in the 1940's on a comparable level to Paulette Goddard, Lauren Bacall, Ida Lupino, Yvonne De Carlo, Virginia Mayo, Joan Caufield, and other women who would be considered popular film stars of the day. And even in the 1940's she was bigger than Ann Sothern and Eve Arden (the latter being only a supporting actress in films).

I personally love Lucy the movie star second only to Lucy on ILL. So wonderful to see her playing such a wide variety of parts in all genres and so great in all of them.

I like the animal episodes! I like seeing Lucy work with animals. She had such a love of animals, it's just magic.

One of my favorite things is to watch is her early movies. To see how her acting improved, plus we get to see her in a different light, and look at how fricking gorgeous she looked!

I have no problem with episodes featuring real animals. She did have quite a way with them. Janos Prohaska in a gorilla suit, on the other hand...

I thought it was pretty excellent for just starting out. I don't know. I just love each and every one of the first season episodes, well besides Drafted.

Well here's one that might make sense more..

My favorite episodes are without Ricky Jr born yet but my other favorites are the pregnancy episodes. THEN Hollywood. Dun't ask me why.

Oh no, for me Hollywood has always been first, LOL! As for the baby, if they had twins playing the part, why the hell did they always show us the crying pain in the ass one? :lucydisgust: My O N L Y complaint about the show has always been the continuity inconsistency, it's the Mertz's 18th wedding anniversary but in a few weeks we'll give them a tv for their 25th. Add to that the fact that most tv stations never aired the damned shows in sequence so one week she was pregnant, the next week, not even a baby bump, then the kid is six starring in a school play. Or the way i'm seeing them now on Comedy Gold, the same damned thirty or forty shows airing two a night and starting again from the same ones over and over. Do you realize how many times those two guys were drafted????? Never mind that he's the only 65 year old draftee ever, LOL! :marionstrong:

Depends on how you define "taken off" - she was a star before ILL and if she'd never had a tv series I think she would still have something of a fan following today among movie buffs at least because she's sensational in a least a dozen pre-1951 films and very good in everything else. Of course a lot of the idea that she was a failure in movies is Lucy's own fault because of her downplaying her film career in later interviews but all of her 1940's films were "A" movies and she almost always received excellent reviews. No she didn't reach superstardom ala Hepburn, Davis, Colbert, Grable, Hayworth but she was very much a star in the 1940's on a comparable level to Paulette Goddard, Lauren Bacall, Ida Lupino, Yvonne De Carlo, Virginia Mayo, Joan Caufield, and other women who would be considered popular film stars of the day. And even in the 1940's she was bigger than Ann Sothern and Eve Arden (the latter being only a supporting actress in films).

I personally love Lucy the movie star second only to Lucy on ILL. So wonderful to see her playing such a wide variety of parts in all genres and so great in all of them.

Well, no argument there. Well said too!

Oh no, for me Hollywood has always been first, LOL! As for the baby, if they had twins playing the part, why the hell did they always show us the crying pain in the ass one? :lucydisgust: My O N L Y complaint about the show has always been the continuity inconsistency, it's the Mertz's 18th wedding anniversary but in a few weeks we'll give them a tv for their 25th. Add to that the fact that most tv stations never aired the damned shows in sequence so one week she was pregnant, the next week, not even a baby bump, then the kid is six starring in a school play. Or the way i'm seeing them now on Comedy Gold, the same damned thirty or forty shows airing two a night and starting again from the same ones over and over. Do you realize how many times those two guys were drafted????? Never mind that he's the only 65 year old draftee ever, LOL! :marionstrong:

So true. Especially all day marathons. They'll play six and then repeat them. How the hell is that a good marathon! But I see what you are saying about consistency. I also have a complaint about the Mertzes marriage. Started off 18 years in 1951 then 25 for 8 years. Excuse me? Lol.

I do not like "Lucy Goes To The Hospital."

I do not think "Lucy and Harpo Marx" is one of the series' classic episodes.

I love the country episodes of I LOVE LUCY.

I prefer Season Three of THE LUCY SHOW to Season Two.

I liked "Lucy, The Superwoman."

While I liked Lucy having a friend post-Vivian and felt that it was necessary, I don't think the Mary Jane character was as funny or developed as she needed to be... in both series.

I think HERE'S LUCY Season One is fantastic, but I do not care for Seasons Two and Three much at all.

I think it took Lucie Arnaz more than a few seasons to become a strong player. And the episodes that give her a lot to do are only successful if Lucy has as much or more to do.

I think the increasing reliance on cue cards really hampered a lot of Lucy's performances. And I think it is noticeable.

Season 1 of TLS is the greatest TLS season. Imagine if it was in color?

I think Lucy looked most gorgeous in the early 50's. She was at the prime of her life. Her children were born, Lucy and Desi were finally together, and I Love Lucy was just getting started. Her happiness really showed in her beauty. But the era Lucy looked best was the 60s. If that makes any sense.

While I liked Lucy having a friend post-Vivian and felt that it was necessary, I don't think the Mary Jane character was as funny or developed as she needed to be... in both series.

I don't think it's fair to compare Mary Jane to Vivian because Mary Jane Croft served a very different purpose on the show than Vivian Vance. Lucille Ball had made a decision that she would not replace Vivian Vance, and even stated at least once that Vivian was irreplaceable, so she wasn't going to try. And that's not why Mary Jane was there. Between TLS and HL, there were very few occasions when Mary Jane was used in a Vivian/Ethel-like capacity. You can probably count them all on one hand. Unlike Vivian Vance, Mary Jane Croft's real purpose on the show was to help set up the plot, then Lucy would go off on some escapade with Mr. Mooney/Harry or some guest star, not Mary Jane. Usually, Mary Jane would only appear in the opening moments of the show, perhaps reemerge at the end, but would be seen very little (if at all) in between. She was simply a plot device -- much like Bea Benaderet's Miss Ritter or Bobby, the bellboy on I Love Lucy -- not a second banana.

Archived