Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

Wayne Newton was already a star before Lucy decided to showcase him. Jackie Gleason had the guy on his variety show many, many times. Lucy was just hopelessly out of touch with what was popular in the 60s and beyond. She liked the 40s and 50s, felt more comfortable there, and it came through in her material. Kids of 1965 didn't like Wayne Newton. He was hopelessly squaresville!

Hey, it was just an episode for a Lucy show! Not reality. Same with the Frankie Avalon episode.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayne Newton was already a star before Lucy decided to showcase him. Jackie Gleason had the guy on his variety show many, many times. Lucy was just hopelessly out of touch with what was popular in the 60s and beyond. She liked the 40s and 50s, felt more comfortable there, and it came through in her material. Kids of 1965 didn't like Wayne Newton. He was hopelessly squaresville!

Whatever. My parents both loved Wayne Newton at that time. Even 14-year-old Lucie Arnaz loved him and did impersonations of him in the living room at Roxbury for her friends and family. Yeah, I don't think Lucy, with 2 teenagers in the 1960s, would be "hopelessly out of touch" with the youth of the time. Get real. :MrsRichardCarlson: :MrsRichardCarlson:

Whatever. My parents both loved Wayne Newton at that time. Even 14-year-old Lucie Arnaz loved him and did impersonations of him in the living room at Roxbury for her friends and family. Yeah, I don't think Lucy, with 2 teenagers in the 1960s, would be "hopelessly out of touch" with the youth of the time. Get real. :MrsRichardCarlson: :MrsRichardCarlson:

Danke scheon for that wonderfully stated post. :D She was very hip for her time! She even kept up with some of the dancing and she was surrounded by new and upcoming actors. Lucy loved helping out newcomers on her series and those helped ratings along the way too.

Also did Lucy ever meet up with The Beatles?

Danke scheon for that wonderfully stated post. :D She was very hip for her time! She even kept up with some of the dancing and she was surrounded by new and upcoming actors. Lucy loved helping out newcomers on her series and those helped ratings along the way too.

Also did Lucy ever meet up with The Beatles?

I haven't heard that, I was wondering if John Lennon was a fan. Perhaps Harry will know.

Exactly, remember Sammy Davis' quote about her, that she always wanted to hang out with whoever was WITH IT and currently HIP?

Don't get excited, last time we brought this up i think Harry doused the fire with a touch of reality.

The story went for the longest time it was actually about LSD, but it was recently revealed to be inspired by Julian Lennon gushing about a little schoolmate of his named Lucy. Paul, however, maintains it is about acid. lol

The story went for the longest time it was actually about LSD, but it was recently revealed to be inspired by Julian Lennon gushing about a little schoolmate of his named Lucy.

Yep. Wonder how much LSD they did recording that song. Haha. Cmon! They were having weed for breakfast at that point. Lol.

The story went for the longest time it was actually about LSD, but it was recently revealed to be inspired by Julian Lennon gushing about a little schoolmate of his named Lucy. Paul, however, maintains it is about acid. lol

Well, there ya go, it was all about Lucy Sesiree Dall, he just got the name wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite The Lucy Show intro is the 5th season jack in the box intro. It's groovy, man!

:lucyshock:

Seems like we#ve found a wife for Mikidiki here.

Seriously. LOL

(Well, the season five intro could have been saved if they replaced the severed head on a spring.)

• 4 years later...

Max just dropped this one on me. He prefers Here's Lucy to I Love Lucy because he finds Lucy Carter less "annoying" than Lucy Ricardo. He also feels Here's Lucy had a stronger plot, whereas I Love Lucy was just a pretext for slapstick. Also, he thinks it's too saccharine, like The Brady Bunch

Am I in a parallel universe down here or something? :blink:

4 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Max just dropped this one on me. He prefers Here's Lucy to I Love Lucy because he finds Lucy Carter less "annoying" than Lucy Ricardo. He also feels Here's Lucy had a stronger plot, whereas I Love Lucy was just a pretext for slapstick. Also, he thinks it's too saccharine, like The Brady Bunch

Am I in a parallel universe down here or something? :blink:

What Here's Lucys and I Love Lucys has Max seen?

I've mentioned this before but when the DVD release of the 24 best Here's Lucy was announced, they didn't say what episodes.  I had trouble coming up with 24 that I considered worthy of any 'best' disc.   Whereas I Love Lucy's 180 episodes can be divided into thirds:  1/3 true classics we never get tired of, 1/3 that are still pretty good but shop short of classic status and 1/3 that are so-so.  Other than the episodes mentioned on this board, there aren't many episodes that are truly BAD, just disappointing when compared with the rest of the series.  

Max is not the first person I've heard this from but this opinion is certainly in the minority.  

Archived