Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point taken. I think it's a good question. There did still seem to be energy left with that format before they took off for Hollywood. I think it was Claude who mentioned when they returned to the apartment in the last season, some of those episodes were among the weakest. But perhaps that had something to do with the absence of Jess Oppenheimer? We'll never know, obviously. But I think if you look at most long-running sitcoms -- not all, but most -- there is a major retooling that happens at about the same point, if not before. Whether it's changing a location, bringing in new characters, or reformulating the basic premise. Take All in the Family, for example. When its 6th season began, it was episode 110 and in the episode, Mike and Gloria by the house next door and prepare to move out, and she learns she's pregnant. "Ricky's Movie Offer" was episode 103. Cheers was taking twist and turns all along the way, ending each season with a cliffhanger. As it was approaching its 100th episode, they brought in Lilith. At episode 121, Diane bid farewell and the show moved in a different direction. Granted, they never left that bar for eleven years, but there was a revolving door of characters and plot changes. That's just a couple examples. I'm sure there are many.

Good point about Jess and his absence during the sixth season, could he have been the original show runner?

I love your reasoning, Tom! I never thought of that. I love the Danfield years of The Lucy Show for that reason. It seems like a real little town with real people and places.

I got the exact same feeling, i can't believe we all thought they were in Europe, or in Hollywood, but damn it, a few backdrops and well made up SETS and we were all there with them. Always amazed me how a tiny little set that was done properly actually made us all believe they were there instead of the same set on the same lot in Hollywood.

Agreed!!!... I still wonder whatever happened to Grandma Sutton and her cat... Loved the references to the various other townsfolk!

Simple references to these other people add nothing to the actual action/plot, but "filled in" the background. This is what was so sorely missing from the California episodes, especially those set in the bank. Both Lucy and Mr. Mooney seemed to live in a vacuum. I loved the little "moment" with Lucy and Doris Singleton in Season 6's "Diploma" episode... I know it was written for Mary Jane, and am sorry MJ was ill, but having Doris do the part at least proved that Lucy Carmichael had more than one friend in all of LA!

I would have liked to have seen more of that!

So, basically, what you're saying is Lucy should have lived in Mayberry along with Andy and Opie and Aunt Bee and the countless other inhabitants of that BURB huh? LOL! Nice place but very little comedy if you ask me, LOL! :marionstrong:

Thanks, BR...

Let me know when you get back to California... Maybe we can get together!

I'll be back November 19. The first week is going to be kind of busy with moving in and setting up for work (I'll be telecommuting starting Nov 26), but I have every other Friday off (3-day weekends) so there will be plenty of opportunities in the future. I'm thrilled to be coming back. I haven't said anything on FB about this as I'm pretty much avoiding FB until after the election (several "friends" keep making my blood boil).

I really enjoyed the Phil Harris episode that I watched last night.. when she is at the piano.. looking very pretty I may add (maybe they fixed that darn lighting problem!).. and laughing and "singing".. Phil and Gale's expressions crack me up.. and when Phil says "That's the way it went tonight!".. I just died. I really was touched by that episode.. seemed so refreshingly real and not phoney... and it really has to go down as one of my favorite later LUCY show.

I like most of the muscial shows durring all of her shows.. I like musical comedy anyway (possibly the gay gene).. and I like how she throws herself into these numbers she just takes off.. I like seeing her give her all... and THAT is one thing that keeps me watching her to this day (and I guess what keeps me interested in her)

I don't like when she bosses Viv or anyone around.. it bothers me .. like in Lucy Calls the President.. she is bossy (her character) I mean the outakes show how really bossy she was in real life.. and I can see why some didn't like working with her...

I am okay with the "skitcom" format but miss the warmth and humor derived from character building.. but (I think) by this point her "character" of always wanting to get in the act was established.. so her singing with Carol in a stage show was not too far fetched!

I didn't like the Ken Berry episode.. and I don't like the Arthur Godfrey episode.. I think Arthur Godrey comes off as a pompus prick and I have no desire to watch him in anything.. Steamboat Bessie and Dixie Lucy is WONDERFUL.. but Arthur Godfrey's part could have and should have been played by someone else

I am bothered by Joan Crawford's week line delivery at times.. (but she too was probably really nervous next to that powerhouse Lucille)

Ann Southren works well with Lucille.. so does Ethel Merman... I have a new found appreciation for Gale Gordon.. which I didn't have before.. and am grateful for now because he just kills me sometimes... that scene where he caught her spying on him with a carboard tube and a compact mirror... holding a cone to her ear.. was priceless for both him and her.. (that stuff right there is what keeps me hooked in to this woman and her work)

And wasn't her speech at the Emmys(i can't spel) just great.. (last year was unexpected.. this year is a shock!).. I wonder why it was in black and white tho....

And these season 6 episodes really flow nicely for me and have few awkward moments.. as opposed to some early Lucy Show episodes where the comedy seems forced or doesn't play well.. I never liked the phone scene in an earlier season when she and Gale are trying to call the drycleaner.. thought it just too beneath them and don't think its funny.. no matter how it was played...eventually she goes through the roof anc ends up in a vat of dye.. I don't enjoy the payoff.. that episode had a nice build up but fell apart.. AND that is what ticks me off with most of her later shows.. starting with the HOUR I LOVE LUCY shows .. some have great build ups and then lousy finishes!

Very well said.

I do still adore the series and love those later shows equally...it was more just a pondering of "what could've been".

And I agree that I Love Lucy was incredible at pushing the envelope. Considering those early, "modest" episodes were groundbreaking, it does stand to reason that they'd want to continue breaking new ground. It really was a feeler TV show in so many ways.

And I appluad them for their storyarcs. Few sitcoms since, if any, have had so much buildup, continuity and continuing storylines handled so well.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective (though I DO still wish the apartment building had gotten a bit more focus towards the end, but I digress.) :)

Exactly! thumbs up!

I may be veering a little "off topic," but all of this discussion has reminded me of the one big difference of opinion I had with both Jess and Gregg Oppenheimer about I LOVE LUCY. Given that all three of us loved the entire series (or, for the Oppenheimers, at least the first five years)...

I have always really enjoyed Season Three, whereas Jess (and Gregg) consider it the weakest...

True, it had no "story arc." But what I love about it is -- it gets us out of that apartment (at least a little bit) and introduces us a little bit to the surrounding neighborhood and the New York environs... I love going down the street to Mrs. Hanson's dress shop, seeing Carolyn's apartment, visiting Speedy Laundry and the newspaper office, eating at the Ricardo/Mertz diner, etc. Even spending an afternoon on top of the Empire State Building (in what Jess considered I LOVE LUCY's worst episode.) Oddly enough, taking us to these other locales only made the Ricardos and Mertzes seem more like real people, living in a real community with real friends and neighbors.

If the Ricardos and Mertzes had NOT gone off to Hollywood and Europe for seasons 4 and 5, I would have liked to have seen more of these kinds of episodes that were set at 623 East 68th Street, but let us see a little more of the community as well... (And, yes, I have always LOVED Season 6's "Lucy and the Loving Cup" and its visit to the New York subway!)

Sorry if I veered... (You know how I am...)

T.

EXACTLY! so well said! My thoughts exactly!-This is what I was thinking of when I mentioned the apartment episodes earlier. Mrs. Sanders, The hair dressers, the newspaper stand, The engagement hall, Hansons, etc. were all shaping this world of The Ricardos and The Mertz's that I just LOVE! lol I even loved the part in which Ricky comes home on the horse? what a shot! and the time Ethel found the tramp outside on the back porch. ugh-so exciting! :)

EXACTLY! so well said! My thoughts exactly!-This is what I was thinking of when I mentioned the apartment episodes earlier. Mrs. Sanders, The hair dressers, the newspaper stand, The engagement hall, Hansons, etc. were all shaping this world of The Ricardos and The Mertz's that I just LOVE! lol I even loved the part in which Ricky comes home on the horse? what a shot! and the time Ethel found the tramp outside on the back porch. ugh-so exciting! :)

Yes! The sets is one thing that draws me in. If I could I would make blueprints of the apartment building and the country house and guest house. I love that sort of thing.

One thing that always bothered me was the Mertzes apartment. You think they would have the biggest apartment in that building! C'Mon they owned it! I know it was only those 2 and they didn't have much money but still! Seemed really odd to me.

Yes! The sets is one thing that draws me in. If I could I would make blueprints of the apartment building and the country house and guest house. I love that sort of thing.

One thing that always bothered me was the Mertzes apartment. You think they would have the biggest apartment in that building! C'Mon they owned it! I know it was only those 2 and they didn't have much money but still! Seemed really odd to me.

Yeah, the Mertzes' apartment being too small always bothered me too. They lived in a closet compared to the Ricardos' apartment.

Fred probably realized he could get more money if he rented out the biggest, nicest one in the building, so he stuck him and Ethel in the cheapest one!

Oh I'm sure they didn't, it was probably just an oversight or something nobody even considered. But it's a good enough explanation I suppose, haha!

It is a good explanation. Haha. But I'm sure they just made it smaller to save room and plus they weren't the MAIN couple. Haha.

My name is LaMarr, but I HATE that name cus its awkward and Im not french, so Ill use my last- Henry lol

AND I ADORE LIFE WITH LUCY. I get it, and although it seems like a revival of I Love Lucy, sans Ric, Ethel, nFred it still is pretty entertaining to look at as a cult classic.

I Hate that Cabbage hair in the hour Lucy Desi Shows

I DONT LIKE the episodes where everyone blames Lucy, though everyone involved was in on it lol

Some times Lucys perfect. yet weird pronunciations, like tomahto, and Praymerre (premiere) get on my nerves or The over pronunciation of "BoDTL "(bottle)

...oh God...heres the big one

....I....I only bought the HL DVDs for support, and for the extras, and for maybe 10 episodes all together, but it's my least of all Lucy shows (tho Lucie and the musical numbers is the saving grace for me sometimes)

I love 4 out of 5 LWL I've seen I don't like Lucy's Green Thumb. That was stupid. Lucy talking to plants is stupid and the whole growth and dying of the plant is fake.

I agree that I hate like Lucy Bags a Bargin or Lucy the Fixer because everyone blames Lucy for accidents that aren't really her fault. Even Lucy's Franchise Fiasco has that stupid part with Harry and Mary Jane blaming Lucy for what happened. Come on people. I find these shows painful to watch except the Franchise Fiasco which is only become of Lucy's physical comedy here and some great wisecracks.

I too dislike Lucy's hair in LDCH. I like her hair on I Love Lucy and on the Lucy Show, and even with Bob Hope in 1988. Her wigs gave her so many styles plus her own hair.

I too like season 3 of I Love Lucy and the Danfield years when Lucy seemed like a real character that could be your fun-loving next door neighbor. I too love the Phil Harris show because it is funny without being over the top. You can sense the warmth between the characters and it is funny but a little dramatic like a more modern comedy show of the 70s or 80s. (Now comedy shows stupid people only.) I love the musical shows that show how much Lucy put her energy into the show and are great time capsules. I only dislike them when Lucy is dubbed because I don't like the fakeness.

I love 4 out of 5 LWL I've seen I don't like Lucy's Green Thumb. That was stupid. Lucy talking to plants is stupid and the whole growth and dying of the plant is fake.

I agree that I hate like Lucy Bags a Bargin or Lucy the Fixer because everyone blames Lucy for accidents that aren't really her fault. Even Lucy's Franchise Fiasco has that stupid part with Harry and Mary Jane blaming Lucy for what happened. Come on people. I find these shows painful to watch except the Franchise Fiasco which is only become of Lucy's physical comedy here and some great wisecracks.

I too dislike Lucy's hair in LDCH. I like her hair on I Love Lucy and on the Lucy Show, and even with Bob Hope in 1988. Her wigs gave her so many styles plus her own hair.

yEAH! lol Like the Oil Wells episode..RICKY is first to jump to the assumption, and Lucy is actually the ONLY one to do something about getting their money back, which shows she was the real hero.

FRED should have had his friend talk to or investigate the new tycoon in his apartment! DING! but it would not have been I Love Lucy if done any other way :)

Im upset Lucy didnt do many close ups later on in the Lucy show, seeing that she was so beautiful!

Yeah, the Mertzes' apartment being too small always bothered me too. They lived in a closet compared to the Ricardos' apartment.

At least at first, the small Mertz apartment was caused by the small size of the actual production studio... The first few scripts only required the Ricardo apartment (bedroom - livingroom - kitchen), plus the Tropicana nightclub... When those sets were built, there was very little room left for anything else. (The sets were built side-by-side like on a theatre stage, so the audience could see...)

When they suddenly needed a Mertz livingroom set, the Desilu craftsmen decided to have the Ricardos' bedroom "double" as the livingroom. The door to the right (leading from the Ricardo livingroom) became the door to the Mertz kitchen. The door to right side of the bed became the Mertz front door. Portable flats were placed in front of the window on the left, etc. Am not sure how long this was continued, but studio space dictated the set size more than anything else...

Tjw

I'm really sorry to state this, but what bugs me is when fans constantly state BUT WHY DID SHE DO THIS, WHY DID THEY NOT DO THAT, without taking into account that everything was to get humor out of any situation, logic went out the window, continuity never existed and whatever lame brained idea would lead to a laugh was used to get one. We examine every line, every movement and action when the writers were just churning out comedic situations, sometimes 35 different plots in as many weeks so they had no other choice than to grab onto anything that would get the laughs in the end. :lucydesi::ill::viv1::bill1:

At least at first, the small Mertz apartment was caused by the small size of the actual production studio... The first few scripts only required the Ricardo apartment (bedroom - livingroom - kitchen), plus the Tropicana nightclub... When those sets were built, there was very little room left for anything else. (The sets were built side-by-side like on a theatre stage, so the audience could see...)

When they suddenly needed a Mertz livingroom set, the Desilu craftsmen decided to have the Ricardos' bedroom "double" as the livingroom. The door to the right (leading from the Ricardo livingroom) became the door to the Mertz kitchen. The door to right side of the bed became the Mertz front door. Portable flats were placed in front of the window on the left, etc. Am not sure how long this was continued, but studio space dictated the set size more than anything else...

Tjw

Wish every fan knew this. I always thought the Mertz apartment looked chintzy, but the first time i saw the actual set pieces in a picture, i understood it was for lack of space that the apartment had to be so small and the look of it had to do with Fred's cheapness, LOL! Loved the comment here though that he rented out the biggest apartments to make more money and kept the smallest one for himself, LOL! :marionstrong:

As for Life with Lucy, the ONLY one i love is the one with Audrey Meadows, Mother of the Bride, those two worked so well together. Lucy finally had her Ethel back. The one with John Ritter stinks but again the chemistry between the two leads, Lucy and John is so great that i tolerate even that dumb ending.

I'm really sorry to state this, but what bugs me is when fans constantly state BUT WHY DID SHE DO THIS, WHY DID THEY NOT DO THAT, without taking into account that everything was to get humor out of any situation, logic went out the window, continuity never existed and whatever lame brained idea would lead to a laugh was used to get one. We examine every line, every movement and action when the writers were just churning out comedic situations, sometimes 35 different plots in as many weeks so they had no other choice than to grab onto anything that would get the laughs in the end. :lucydesi::ill::viv1::bill1:

I agree with this post completely. Especially when fans question the lack of common sense in all Lucy shows! They had none, whatsoever. That 30 minute block was to watch Lucy be Lucy! :lucyhaha:

But with us fans, in our heads we know each show inside out. So we notice those little things like the Mertzes anniversary staying at 25 years, appearing and disappearing pets, etc, etc :lucydaze: We think if we notice it, why wouldn't the writers? Well I doubt they watched each episode over 50 times like us and know all the lines (even if they did write em! :marionstrong: ) But we all have the natural instinct to wonder why? But clearly it's as simple as, it was the beginning of television, it was simply there to entertain us week after week, and how can each writer remember everything that has ever happened on each episode? But I must say by HL they were better with these continuity issues.

:lucycoy: I also seriously doubt that anyone that worked on any television series back then even thought that fans would be able to own these comedic treasures for themselves and once again know them inside out! :lucycoy:

One mistake I'll never let pass though is calling Jerry... Jimmy! Now that's a big boo boo! :lucyshock:

I agree with this post completely. One mistake I'll never let pass though is calling Jerry... Jimmy! Now that's a big boo boo! :lucyshock:

Not at all, his name was Jerry, his middle name was Jimmy and then later on his middle name became his nickname, LOL! With some of the lines he had, i'm surprised nobody called him FRED. As for the dog, no, that one was SPLAINED perfectly, Fred said HOPE YOU DON'T MIND US BRINGING BUTCH ALONG, they were dogsitting for Kertz of Mertz and Kertz, he was a present for his grandson. :lucythrill: And in reality, the Mertz anniversary was only their 8th, but to Fred it just felt like 25 years. :marionstrong: YES, EVERYTHING WAS WRITTEN TO BE SEEN ONE TIME, THEN THEY BECAME RERUNS THAT LASTED OVER HALF A CENTURY, as Einstein once said, GO FIGURE!

Archived