Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

I'm really sorry to state this, but what bugs me is when fans constantly state BUT WHY DID SHE DO THIS, WHY DID THEY NOT DO THAT, without taking into account that everything was to get humor out of any situation, logic went out the window, continuity never existed and whatever lame brained idea would lead to a laugh was used to get one. We examine every line, every movement and action when the writers were just churning out comedic situations, sometimes 35 different plots in as many weeks so they had no other choice than to grab onto anything that would get the laughs in the end. :lucydesi::ill::viv1::bill1:

Agree with you a 1,000 percent Claude. Those sort of comments are much worse on other sites like the IMDb board for ILL, "Lucy was such a bitch on episode 143", "why would Ethel marry somebody so much older", "Ricky jumps on Lucy for doing one thing in episode A that he did in episode B", et al. It's just a sitcom even if it is the greatest sitcom in the history of the world! I cannot believe the humorless sensibility of some people who are watching a comedy! :lucyshock: If I Love Lucycan't make you light-hearted and happy, I don't know what entertainment product ever could.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with some on this board.. Season 3 of I Love Lucy is my favorite... and I wonder how all of you became so interested in Lucille Ball.. for me it was back in 1987 when I started collecting these VHS tapes of I Love Lucy from Columbia House and they had 3 episodes on each tape and they were all themed like.. Lucy and Ethel fight or Lucy Clowns.. and anyway the collection came with a yellow "I Love Lucy" book by Bart Andrews.. and that kinda started my desire to know more and collect whatever I could on the woman... anyone care to share their story?

I agree with some on this board.. Season 3 of I Love Lucy is my favorite... and I wonder how all of you became so interested in Lucille Ball.. for me it was back in 1987 I believe when I started collecting these VHS tapes of I Love Lucy from Columbia House I believe and they had 3 episodes on each tape and they were all themed like.. Lucy and Ethel fight or Lucy Clowns.. and anyway the collection came with a yellow "I Love Lucy" book by Bart Andrews.. and that kinda started my desire to know more and collect whatever I could on the woman... anyone care to share their story?

Don't know how or why I became so interested in her. It started around 11 or 12 when my Dad and I would watch ILL on Nick at Nite together. He wasn't around a lot so that's probably why I enjoyed doing that together with him. Anyway, it escalated from there. My interest has waxed and waned over the years, but it came back in full force about 5 years ago.

I don't like when she bosses Viv or anyone around.. it bothers me .. like in Lucy Calls the President.. she is bossy (her character) I mean the outakes show how really bossy she was in real life.. and I can see why some didn't like working with her...

well she WAS the star and it was her special. I don't get it ... she was there to work, and if they didn't want to work, she wasn't happy. She was just upset because her mother Deedee had recently passed away, and she came to every taping.

I love the musical shows that show how much Lucy put her energy into the show and are great time capsules. I only dislike them when Lucy is dubbed because I don't like the fakeness.

Does that mean you don't like the "All Alone" musical dance number in the Here's Lucy pilot? That was Carole Cook who dubbed her singing voice.

Does that mean you don't like the "All Alone" musical dance number in the Here's Lucy pilot? That was Carole Cook who dubbed her singing voice.

I actually like the All Alone music number because of Lucy's great dancing; Desi's looking so cute, and Harry's reaction to seeing her there. I love the hip feel of the number. I dislike the Generation Gap and Lucy and carol Burnett at the "Need a Gym" show. Also I don't like Hey Big Spender from Jack Benny Special though I cannot recall any other shows where she was dubbed.

I agree with some on this board.. Season 3 of I Love Lucy is my favorite... and I wonder how all of you became so interested in Lucille Ball.. for me it was back in 1987 I believe when I started collecting these VHS tapes of I Love Lucy from Columbia House I believe and they had 3 episodes on each tape and they were all themed like.. Lucy and Ethel fight or Lucy Clowns.. and anyway the collection came with a yellow "I Love Lucy" book by Bart Andrews.. and that kinda started my desire to know more and collect whatever I could on the woman... anyone care to share their story?

It started back when I was 8 back in 2001, I saw the 50th Anniversary special with my parents. I decided I wanted to see an actual episode. We didn't have cable and I don't know if any channels played Lucy at the time. But I went to my Grandma's a few weeks later and guess what was on? I Love Lucy on TV Land. I remember what episode, Fred and Ethel Fight and I believe the next one was Breaking the Lease or Lucy Fakes Illness. All I know that I was in awe of Lucy. I asked my Grandma to record Lucy for me on her VHS, also I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, which I was already big fans prior to I Love Lucy. I also remember my first Lucy items at least I believe these were. Haha. My aunt and I went on a drive to visit my cousin and we stopped at a CD or video store and she bought me the first 4 volumes of the first season and The Wonderful World of Lucy Vol 1+2 DVD (which is dreadfully boring) Haha. But here I am 11 years later still a fan.

IT ALL STARTED IN A 5000 WATT RADIO STATION IN FRESNO CALIFORNIA, LATER THAT NIGHT, I WAS DOING A PLAY CALLED ONCE UPON A BIG NOSE, IT WAS THE SECOND NIGHT OF THE SHOW AND LUCY WAS SITTING IN THE SECOND ROW, I CAN SEE HER, RED HAIR, SHE CAME BACKSTAGE, CALLED ME KID, THANK YOU! :marionstrong:

It started back when I was 8 back in 2001, I saw the 50th Anniversary special with my parents. I decided I wanted to see an actual episode. We didn't have cable and I don't know if any channels played Lucy at the time. But I went to my Grandma's a few weeks later and guess what was on? I Love Lucy on TV Land. I remember what episode, Fred and Ethel Fight and I believe the next one was Breaking the Lease or Lucy Fakes Illness. All I know that I was in awe of Lucy. I asked my Grandma to record Lucy for me on her VHS, also I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, which I was already big fans prior to I Love Lucy. I also remember my first Lucy items at least I believe these were. Haha. My aunt and I went on a drive to visit my cousin and we stopped at a CD or video store and she bought me the first 4 volumes of the first season and The Wonderful World of Lucy Vol 1+2 DVD (which is dreadfully boring) Haha. But here I am 11 years later still a fan.

I love The Funny World of Lucy. Think it's a great overview of her career. Plus it's impressive they were able to do as well as they did with only PD footage.

I love The Funny World of Lucy. Think it's a great overview of her career. Plus it's impressive they were able to do as well as they did with only PD footage.

No lie they have great clips and they go fully into her life. I also give then props for going beyond 1960. But I do get extremely bored while watching it. I haven't watched it in 4 years though, I should give it another whirl. But I also know if it wasn't for that documentary I wouldn't have known as much as a child!

IT ALL STARTED IN A 5000 WATT RADIO STATION IN FRESNO CALIFORNIA, LATER THAT NIGHT, I WAS DOING A PLAY CALLED ONCE UPON A BIG NOSE, IT WAS THE SECOND NIGHT OF THE SHOW AND LUCY WAS SITTING IN THE SECOND ROW, I CAN SEE HER, RED HAIR, SHE CAME BACKSTAGE, CALLED ME KID, THANK YOU! :marionstrong:

Claude,

You sound like you got drunk writing your life story, passed out and dreamed you were Carol Burnett imitating Ted Baxter, then looked in the mirror and discovered you were Danny Thomas!

Claude,

You sound like you got drunk writing your life story, passed out and dreamed you were Carol Burnett imitating Ted Baxter, then looked in the mirror and discovered you were Danny Thomas!

Yeah, gave you a point for that one, really good. The first part always cracks me up, and the second does put me to sleep.

After I let his Dino, Desi & Billy joke go over my head, I felt I needed to prove to Claude that I'm not clueless all the time and do get some of his obscure references. :)

Sorry bubbela, if you have to SPLAIN them, they ain't funny! They're obscure to you probably because i'm old enough to be your grandf er fath, er older brother. Now THAT's a Lucy reference you should be able to GET! :sid::desi1::desijr:

Sorry bubbela, if you have to SPLAIN them, they ain't funny! They're obscure to you probably because i'm old enough to be your grandf er fath, er older brother. Now THAT's a Lucy reference you should be able to GET! :sid::desi1::desijr:

Well, in this case, older brother would be accurate. :) I'm certainly very familiar with Dino, Desi and Billy -- got a CD of their music; I guess I'm just a little dim like Mary Jane sometimes.

Ok, here's a very unpopular opinion, especially with that beautiful Halloween banner Brock provided. I hated that Lucy show MONSTERS when it first aired, on subsequent viewings over forty years and even now, never liked it at all. Although i'm kinda happy with her Christmas shows so it's nice to have one for Halloween also. :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

I wonder why you didn't like that MONSTERS show.. It has moments that are pretty good... too bad you don't like it at all.

Can't speak for anyone else, but, in general, I dislike prolonged dream sequences... They become a fantasy inside a fantasy... The only one I can really tolerate is "Lucy Goes to Scotland." (This is not just a "Lucy" thing -- I dislike them when other shows do them as well... A few "Dick Van Dyke Show" sequences come to mind...)

I think part of my dislike of this type of thing is that it takes our characters out of their normal environs... In other words, I tune in to see Lucy Carmichael and Vivian Bagley and Mr. Mooney do their thing in Danfield... NOT to see Lucy C's nightmare.

ODDLY ENOUGH -- if this were re-written as a "show within a show," I would not mind nearly as much. That is, if Lucy, Viv and Mr. Mooney were putting on a Halloween show for the local PTA, and did the skit included in "Lucy and the Monsters," I would probably like it better.

I think the only reason I enjoy "Lucy Goes to Scotland" is because of its quality... The writing, the music, the dancing, etc., is all top drawer... But again, it's not really the Ricardos and Mertzes doing their normal activities... It's as much a special as "Lucy in London."

But that's just me...

Ok, here's a very unpopular opinion, especially with that beautiful Halloween banner Brock provided. I hated that Lucy show MONSTERS when it first aired, on subsequent viewings over forty years and even now, never liked it at all. Although i'm kinda happy with her Christmas shows so it's nice to have one for Halloween also. :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

I don't hate it but it's hardly up there as one of my favorites; the Christmas shows though are sentimental favorites. :lucyhehe:

Can't speak for anyone else, but, in general, I dislike prolonged dream sequences... They become a fantasy inside a fantasy... The only one I can really tolerate is "Lucy Goes to Scotland." (This is not just a "Lucy" thing -- I dislike them when other shows do them as well... A few "Dick Van Dyke Show" sequences come to mind...)

I think part of my dislike of this type of thing is that it takes our characters out of their normal environs... In other words, I tune in to see Lucy Carmichael and Vivian Bagley and Mr. Mooney do their thing in Danfield... NOT to see Lucy C's nightmare.

ODDLY ENOUGH -- if this were re-written as a "show within a show," I would not mind nearly as much. That is, if Lucy, Viv and Mr. Mooney were putting on a Halloween show for the local PTA, and did the skit included in "Lucy and the Monsters," I would probably like it better.

I enjoy Lucy & The Monsters -- it is a nice change of pace and, for once, the fake gorilla doesn't seem to be out of place. The only thing that bugs me about the episode is why they didn't re-shoot the scene where Viv as "Sassafrassa" repeatedly flubs the "Double, double, toil and trouble" shpiel in just a few short words while Lucy gets it right. It's so distracting...but why am I looking for logic in this episode? LOL!

I think the only reason I enjoy "Lucy Goes to Scotland" is because of its quality... The writing, the music, the dancing, etc., is all top drawer... But again, it's not really the Ricardos and Mertzes doing their normal activities... It's as much a special as "Lucy in London."

But that's just me...

Good points. That's another reason I'm not a huge fan of the musical shows, as it takes them out of their normal environments. The musical show I liked the most was the Boy Scouts Show, because it featured just the core cast with one fantastic guest star!

Does anyone know why Lucille reportedly did not like the I Love Lucy Christmas episode? She's quoted as saying she found it "eerie and spooky". Anyone know more?

Good points. That's another reason I'm not a huge fan of the musical shows, as it takes them out of their normal environments. The musical show I liked the most was the Boy Scouts Show, because it featured just the core cast with one fantastic guest star!

Does anyone know why Lucille reportedly did not like the I Love Lucy Christmas episode? She's quoted as saying she found it "eerie and spooky". Anyone know more?

Weird considering it was basically a "clip show"! :lucythrill:

Archived