Worst TLS Episodes Per Season

Since we've established our favourites in the other thread, let's talk about the ones we could all do without...

Season 1: Lucy Drives a Dump Truck

Runner-Up: Lucy & The Runaway Butterfly

Season 2: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Runner-Up: Viv Moves Out

Season 3: Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

Runner-Up: Lucy & Arthur Godfrey

Season 4: Lucy, The Rain Goddess (has my vote for worst episode of the series, actually)

Runner-Up: Lucy The Superwoman

Season 5: Mooney the Monkey

Runner-Up: Lucy & Tennessee Ernie Ford

Season 6: Lucy The Starmaker

Runner-Up: Lucy Gets Involved

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lucyshock: LOL

Season 1 -- Lucy Visits The White House

Runner Up: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

Season 2 -- Lucy & The Scout Trip

Runner Up: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Season 3 -- Lucy Becomes A Father

Runner Up: Lucy & The Beauty Doctor

Season 4 -- Lucy Helps Milton Berle

Runners Up: Lucy, the Superwoman/Rain Goddess/Robot

Season 5 -- Mooney the Monkey

Runner Up: Lucy & Tennessee Ernie Ford

Season 6 -- Little Old Lucy

Runner Up: Lucy & Carol Burnett Pt. 2

Since we've established our favourites in the other thread, let's talk about the ones we could all do without...

Season 1: Lucy Drives a Dump Truck

Runner-Up: Lucy & The Runaway Butterfly

Season 2: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Runner-Up: Viv Moves Out

Season 3: Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

Season 4: Lucy, The Rain Goddess (has my vote for worst episode of the series, actually)

Runner-Up: Lucy The Superwoman

Runner-Up: Lucy & Tennessee Ernie Ford

Season 6: Lucy The Starmaker

Runner-Up: Lucy Gets Involved

Well, 12 outta 156 ain't bad.

:lucyshock: LOL

Season 1 -- Lucy Visits The White House

Runner Up: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

Season 2 -- Lucy & The Scout Trip

Runner Up: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Season 3 -- Lucy Becomes A Father

Runner Up: Lucy & The Beauty Doctor

Season 4 -- Lucy Helps Milton Berle

Runners Up: Lucy, the Superwoman/Rain Goddess/Robot

Runner Up: Lucy & Tennessee Ernie Ford

Season 6 -- Little Old Lucy

Runner Up: Lucy & Carol Burnett Pt. 2

Well, 14 outta 156 still ain't bad!

[Runner-Up: Lucy & Arthur Godfrey

Well, not everybody loves MUSICAL showcases on a supposed comedy show. I told you, that woman should have had a variety show instead of guest starring on everybody else's.

Season 1--Lucy Becomes a Reporter

(the only one I really wasn't crazy about)

Season 2--Lucy Takes Up Golf

Runners up: Lucy & Viv open a restaurant/Lucy and the bank scandal

Season 3--Lucy and the Countess lose weight

Runner Up: Lucy makes a pinch

Season 4--Lucy The Superwoman

Runners Up: Lucy Helps Milton Berle/Lucy the undercover agent

Season 5--Mooney the Monkey

Runners Up: Tennessee Ernie/Lucy & Carol in Palm Springs

Season 6--Lucy the Philanthropist

Runners Up: Lucy Meets the Berles/Lucy Sues Mooney

Lol I have nothing against Milton Berle I think he's really funny but they just aren't the funniest Lucy shows--the only really funny Lucy Show would be "Lucy and the Used Car Dealer."

The worst episodes of The Lucy Show's six year run by season:

Season 1: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

runner-up: Lucy and the Little League

Season 2: Lucy Takes up Golf (mainly because of Gary Morton)

runner-up: Viv Moves Out

Season 3: Lucy The Disck Jockey

runner-up: Lucy Becomes A Father

Season 4: Lucy The Rain Goddess

runner-up: Lucy and The Return of Iron Man

runner-up: Lucy and Tennessee Ernie Ford

Season 6: Mooney's Other Wife

runner-up: Lucy The Philanthropist

WORST EPISODE OF THE ENTIRE SERIES: MOONEY THE MONEY and Runner-up: LUCY THE RAIN GODDESS

1: Runaway Butterfly

2: NONE!

3: Amnesia

4: Rain Goddess

5: Main Street part 2

6: Star Maker

Episodes I'm surprised made people's lists:

1: Drives a Dump Truck, if only for that great scene where Lucy is trying to NOT tell the girls the bad news. I also like the whole dump truck scene, mainly because of its unusual filming style.

Little League--Lucy impersonating a man. Yes, nobody noticing the moving garbage can was poorly staged, but overall I think the episode's pretty good.

White House---The horse taking off with Lucy barely on it...The horse catching up with the train. It's SO silly, it's funny! The script presented a challenge to film in front of live audience.

2: Viv Moves Out--the opening Lucy-Viv fight (Viv, you could lose 30 pounds before your skin even gets near your bone), Potato peeling dance and the fascinating acting style of RO-berta.

3: Lucy Becomes a Father---which I consider one of the BEST of the season!--Come on! Lucy struggling with the mummy bag, learning poker (yes a rip off of Be a Pal, but not word for word), AND the fact that they used a REAL bear except for last scene. So many more worthy contenders for worst of season.

Arthur Godfrey: Such a stellar production, but if you can't stand shows-within-shows, I can see it. I don't normally like them either, but who can resist Viv's "Steamboat Bessie" number.

L and Countess Lose Weight: Such a great Mooney episode...While I wouldn't call it a great episode, again there are so many others that are worse from this season.

4. Undercover Agent: one of MY favorites of the season. (if this is the one with the Countess and Lucy's Channing impersonation....OR is this the Untouchable episode? If so, I'm not wild about that one except for Lucy's stand-out musical performance)

6: Lucy Gets Involved---not one of my favorites of the series but better than average for the last season, thanks in part to jackie Coogan. I think this episode garnered the highest ratings of any that season.

Season 2 is the most consistent of any in the series. I can't think of an episode that is truly BAD. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd chose "restaurant".

Season 1: Lucy and the Runaway Butterfly

Runner Up: Lucy and Viv Take Up Chemistry

Season 2: Lucy Puts a Fire Out at the Bank

Runner Up: Lucy Goes to Art Class

Season 3: Lucy, the Camp Cook

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Amnesia

Season 4: Lucy the Superwoman

Runner Up: Lucy the Rain Goddess

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Caught in the Draft

Season 6: Lucy's Mystery Guest

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Involved

Regarding Arthur Godfrey, let me explain.

I don't care for this episode as a whole. I'm not a fan of ANY of her "let's do a musical" episodes on the whole. However, I did enjoy some of the individual moments. I loved Viv's song, and Gale's cartwheel, etc. But I much prefer the episodes where Lucy & Viv just clown it up. I just like seeing them playing their characters, not playing characters playing characters. Does that make sense.

So I do like some of the songs, but the complete episode is severly lacking for me.

Episodes I'm surprised made people's lists:

1: Drives a Dump Truck, if only for that great scene where Lucy is trying to NOT tell the girls the bad news. I also like the whole dump truck scene, mainly because of its unusual filming style.

I thoroughly dislike Dump Truck because I think the other women are incredibly hard on Lucille when none of it was really her fault. Viv was such a total bitch I just wanted to hit her. It's episodes like these that make her Vivian Bagley character very unappealing, IMO.

Ah, interesting. I wasn't wild about this one but enjoyed the physical comedy routine at the end. What didn't you like about it?

The physical comedy routine at the end. :lucythrill: The scene seems to go on forever. I think the hitchhiking scene is great. The episode was written by Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf, but I don't think it is up to their usual standards.

:lucywow: I LOVE all those episodes! I don't get why everyone hates "butterfly." I mean, the ending wasn't great because she made such a mess, but I loved it when Viv kept going AHA! And in "Art class," I loved Mona Lucy and her "apple" pie. What was bad about these? To each their own, I guess.

The physical comedy routine at the end. :lucythrill: The scene seems to go on forever. I think the hitchhiking scene is great. The episode was written by Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf, but I don't think it is up to their usual standards.

Haha! I agree the pacing could've been better, but the dropping eggs cracked me up.

Season 1: Lucy Becomes a Reporter

Season 2: None

Season 3: Lucy Gets Amenisa

Season 4: Lucy the Rain Goddess

Season 5: Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs (I love the song at the end but it isn't funny like Lucy Gets a Roomate)

Season 6: Lucy Gets Involves

I agree Lucy should have done a variety show. She would have been great at doing comedy sketches and songs especially in the 1960s.

Season 1: Lucy Becomes a Reporter

Season 2: None

Season 3: Lucy Gets Amenisa

Season 4: Lucy the Rain Goddess

Season 5: Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs (I love the song at the end but it isn't funny like Lucy Gets a Roomate)

Season 6: Lucy Gets Involves

I agree Lucy should have done a variety show. She would have been great at doing comedy sketches and songs especially in the 1960s.

Interesting how many people find season 2 so strong. It has many fantastic episodes, to be sure, but there are plenty I tend to avoid: Golf, Viv Moves Out (another damn music episode), Duck Hunting, Military Academy, Own Lawyer... none of those did it for me.

It's very interesting to see what people's takes on specific episodes are. "Chemistry" for me is saved by Lucy shoving Viv under the shower.

"Butterfly" just seems so off the mark, especially for a 1st season show; and what a waste of Doris Packer.

I always liked it when Lucy and Viv were rivals for the same man as in "Art Class". Love it when Lucy mocks Viv "It's an apple pie for Johnny".

I agree with your assessment about "Camp Cooks" but there are several bits that save it from being the WORST of the season for me. I'm not wild about ANY of the four Schiller/Weiskopf 3rd season shows, but Danny Kaye has the least going for it, a real disappointment considering it was teaming those two clowns and the two writers and only the third time TLS had a big guest star (4 if you count both Merman shows as separate episodes.

"Caught in Draft" has enough going for it that I enjoy it despite the ridiculous premise. Harry Hickox is funny and Jim Nabors was an inspired cameo at the end.

It's hard to defend "Gets Involved" (all those BROKEN DISHES) but to me there are many worse 6th season eps.

"Mooney the Monkey" seems to be TLS's "Drafted" (much as HL's Gorboona) I just don't understand how this script premise ever got approved in the first place. OK, even if I'm willing to accept that Lucy thinks Mooney has turned into a gorilla, HOW DID SHE GET THE GORILLA TO THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE? In a CAB? Wouldn't someone else have noted and alerted the authorities---to lock up BOTH of them!

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Amnesia

Season 4: Lucy the Superwoman

Runner Up: Lucy the Rain Goddess

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Caught in the Draft

Season 6: Lucy's Mystery Guest

Runner Up: Lucy Gets Involved

Season One: "Lucy And Viv Take Up Chemistry"

Season Two: "Lucy Takes Up Golf"

Season Three: "Lucy Meets Danny Kaye"

Season Four: "Lucy, The Rain Goddess"

Season Five: "Mooney, The Monkey"

Season Six: "Lucy And Robert Goulet"

"Lucy Meets Danny Kaye" is the worst of the Viv years. (And Viv isn't even in it!)

"Mooney, the Monkey" is probably the worst overall, with "Lucy, The Rain Goddess" right behind it.

I agree with your assessment about "Camp Cooks" but there are several bits that save it from being the WORST of the season for me. I'm not wild about ANY of the four Schiller/Weiskopf 3rd season shows

I think "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery" and "Lucy's Contact Lenses" are two great Schiller/Weiskopf third season shows. I think "Great Bank Robbery" has some of the funniest moments of the season including Lucy's over the top greeting to Mooney as she flies out of the bank in her beauty parlor smock, which causes him to toss all his papers in the air, and the radio announcement saying that Mooney discovered the bank had been robbed because he showed up for work having forgotten it was Saturday. :marionstrong: "Lucy's Contact Lenses" has the great dialogue about Viv's age and how she eats like a horse.

I think "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery" and "Lucy's Contact Lenses" are two great Schiller/Weiskopf third season shows. I think "Great Bank Robbery" has some of the funniest moments of the season including Lucy's over the top greeting to Mooney as she flies out of the bank in her beauty parlor smock, which causes him to toss all his papers in the air, and the radio announcement saying that Mooney discovered the bank had been robbed because he showed up for work having forgotten it was Saturday. :marionstrong: "Lucy's Contact Lenses" has the great dialogue about Viv's age and how she eats like a horse.

I love those two episodes, easily 2 of the best episodes from the season. Lucy's "HI MR. MOONEY" has to be her single funniest greeting in the whole series.

The finale of Lenses, where they sneak into the house and get covered with cake, is one of their best comedy moments the whole season.

And I love that Candy Moore finally got a worthy laugh line with "I'm not here either!"

I'm VERY surprised by some of the selections on this list. For the record, I like "Dump Truck," "Little League," "Lucy Visits the White House" (in spite of the far-fetched plot), "Lucy Becomes a Reporter," "Viv Moves Out," "Lucy Is Her Own Lawyer," "Danny Kaye," "Amnesia," "Little Old Lucy," "Arthur Godfrey" (even though I generally don't much care for the musical episodes), "Lucy Gets Caught in the Draft," "Lucy Meets the Berles," "Lucy and Robert Goulet," and "Lucy Sues Mooney."

And I LOVE -- really LOVE "Lucy and Viv Take Up Chemistry," "Lucy Goes to Art Class," "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery", "Lucy's Contact Lenses," "Lucy Gets Involved."

Interesting how many people find season 2 so strong. It has many fantastic episodes, to be sure, but there are plenty I tend to avoid: Golf, Viv Moves Out (another damn music episode), Duck Hunting, Military Academy, Own Lawyer... none of those did it for me.

Why dontcha just stop watching them then, YOU AND I COULD JUST PUT ON A SHOW! :lucythrill:

Archived