Worst TLS Episodes Per Season

Season 1: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

runner-up: Lucy Digs Up a Date

Season 2: Lucy Takes Up Golf

runner-up: None

Season 3: Lucy and Arthur Godfrey

runner-up: Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

Season 4: Lucy in the Music World

runner-up: Lucy Saves Milton Berle / Lucy Helps Danny Thomas / Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton

Season 5: Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map

Season 6: Lucy and Carol Burnett (Part 2)

runner-up: Lucy and Phil Harris / Lucy Helps Ken Berry / Lucy and Robert Goulet / Lucy, the Starmaker

WORST EPISODE OF THE ENTIRE SERIES: Lucy in the Music World

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Season 1: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

runner-up: Lucy Digs Up a Date

Season 2: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Season 3: Lucy and Arthur Godfrey

runner-up: Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

Season 4: Lucy in the Music World

runner-up: Lucy Saves Milton Berle / Lucy Helps Danny Thomas / Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton

Season 5: Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map

Season 6: Lucy and Carol Burnett (Part 2)

runner-up: Lucy and Phil Harris / Lucy Helps Ken Berry / Lucy and Robert Goulet / Lucy, the Starmaker

WORST EPISODE OF THE ENTIRE SERIES: Lucy in the Music World

I love "Lucy, The Superwoman." Yes, it is silly... but at least it makes me laugh. (Some episodes don't.)

Harrison, I agree with most of your choices, except that I don't mind "Lucy And Arthur Godfrey," (Certainly not a hilarious show though), and I think that Season Three and Season Five both have other contenders for weakest and runners up.

I don't much care for "Lucy And The Music World" either, but I'm not sure if I would say it is the weakest. What do you detest about it?

I don't get the hate. Music world is easily in my top 20. LOL Whoever doesn't like it probably still have their trousseaux lying on their shelves. :lucythrill:

I will have to re-watch it. I don't hate it, I just don't remember laughing. One thing I do remember though--I thought Lucy looked stunning in those early Season Four episodes. Particularly this one.

Season 1--Lucy Becomes a Reporter

(the only one I really wasn't crazy about)

Season 2--Lucy Takes Up Golf

Runners up: Lucy & Viv open a restaurant/Lucy and the bank scandal

Season 3--Lucy and the Countess lose weight

Runner Up: Lucy makes a pinch

Season 4--Lucy The Superwoman

Runners Up: Lucy Helps Milton Berle/Lucy the undercover agent

Season 5--Mooney the Monkey

Runners Up: Tennessee Ernie/Lucy & Carol in Palm Springs

Season 6--Lucy the Philanthropist

Runners Up: Lucy Meets the Berles/Lucy Sues Mooney

Lol I have nothing against Milton Berle I think he's really funny but they just aren't the funniest Lucy shows--the only really funny Lucy Show would be "Lucy and the Used Car Dealer."

Chedder, I agree with most of your picks as well. Except, again I love "Lucy, The Superwoman." And I don't mind "Lucy Meets The Berles," "Lucy, The Undercover Agent," or "Lucy, The Philanthropist."

However, I like both of those Season Three episodes. And I especially love "Lucy Makes A Pinch." That's one of my favorites from the season. What do you not like about it?

As you've probably figured out, I love the Countess episodes (with the exception of Lose Weight). It's too bad Ann Sothern only made 7 appearances, she'd have been a great recurring character in the later years.

How does everyone else feel about them?

I like the majority of the Countess shows. I think she was the best female support Lucy got post-Vivian. And I say that because she had a defined character--a history, a continuity. And she got laughs. The interesting thing is, I couldn't see her as a regular though. She seems like an odd fit to have every week. She would have been a great Carolyn Appleby type character. I would have liked a few more shows with her.

As you've probably figured out, I love the Countess episodes (with the exception of Lose Weight). It's too bad Ann Sothern only made 7 appearances, she'd have been a great recurring character in the later years.

I do too and while she could never "replace" Vivian -- no one could, IMHO -- she wasn't really trying. No surprise either that she and Lucy had great chemistry. She only appeared seven times?? Sure seemed like more and too bad (for us) it wasn't. Wonder why she never turned up on HL?? lucyhorror.JPG

Well, to each his own, I guess. I can't argue with some people (other than to say "When I say he's wrong...HE'S WRONG!!")

Perhaps "Music World" is too 1965 "topical" to be funny to someone who wasn't there. There was a syndicated afternoon show "The Lloyd Thaxton Show" around that time that I think they were satirizing. The host looks sort of like Lloyd. I LOVE "Music World". even if you don't like the music, there's great dialogue and Lucy's still at her peak as a performer. I'm not normally wild about musical episodes either, but this one is helped by the fact that it's done live and not pre-recorded and Lucy's voice sounding so wonderful.

There were certainly moments I like in "Camp Cooks", "contact Lens" and "World Fair Tenants" (her "Hi, Mr. Mooney" a highlight) but for me something is missing when compared to the BBBM scripts. There are a lot of 3rd season shows that have 'moments' in episodes that are just so-so.

Lucy looks so wonderful in "Duck Hunting" and does that great fall into the water THAT ONLY SHE COULD DO. No anticipation, she steps without looking while she's saying something to Keith in the other direction. So perfectly calculated. I can't think of a 2nd season episode that doesn't have SOMETHING that I enjoy.

I just sat through "Mystery Guest" and despite the efforts of Mary Wickes (her only "Guest Star" credit I know of), it's such a cheesily executed episode..including unnecessary orchestrations accompanying the exercises. Did Aunt Agatha and Barney Kurtz ever get together? They both have touching scenes in which they confess their years-long deceptions when they didn't really have to. Agatha's pay-off line "I only bring health foods to keep my relatives healthy enough so I can keep visiting them" is one of the worst "surprise' endings ever. I love how Mary Wickes, who--depending on your source--is somewhere between one year older than Lucille Ball to five years younger refers to her niece Lucy as part of the "younger generation".

Well, to each his own, I guess. I can't argue with some people (other than to say "When I say he's wrong...HE'S WRONG!!")

Perhaps "Music World" is too 1965 "topical" to be funny to someone who wasn't there. There was a syndicated afternoon show "The Lloyd Thaxton Show" around that time that I think they were satirizing. The host looks sort of like Lloyd. I LOVE "Music World". even if you don't like the music, there's great dialogue and Lucy's still at her peak as a performer. I'm not normally wild about musical episodes either, but this one is helped by the fact that it's done live and not pre-recorded and Lucy's voice sounding so wonderful.

There were certainly moments I like in "Camp Cooks", "contact Lens" and "World Fair Tenants" (her "Hi, Mr. Mooney" a highlight) but for me something is missing when compared to the BBBM scripts. There are a lot of 3rd season shows that have 'moments' in episodes that are just so-so.

Lucy looks so wonderful in "Duck Hunting" and does that great fall into the water THAT ONLY SHE COULD DO. No anticipation, she steps without looking while she's saying something to Keith in the other direction. So perfectly calculated. I can't think of a 2nd season episode that doesn't have SOMETHING that I enjoy.

I just sat through "Mystery Guest" and despite the efforts of Mary Wickes (her only "Guest Star" credit I know of), it's such a cheesily executed episode..including unnecessary orchestrations accompanying the exercises. Did Aunt Agatha and Barney Kurtz ever get together? They both have touching scenes in which they confess their years-long deceptions when they didn't really have to. Agatha's pay-off line "I only bring health foods to keep my relatives healthy enough so I can keep visiting them" is one of the worst "surprise' endings ever. I love how Mary Wickes, who--depending on your source--is somewhere between one year older than Lucille Ball to five years younger refers to her niece Lucy as part of the "younger generation".

Wickes also got a Guest Star credit on Here's Lucy season 1, "Lucy Goes on Strike"

I love the Ann Sothern episodes -- in fact, I love Ann Sothern. Always did. Her work in "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana" is wonderful... Of course, I remember watching PRIVATE SECRETARY, which -- if there were any justice -- would be re-mastered and re-issued on DVD. THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW was almost (but not quite) as good... It, too, should be re-issued! Back when TV and I were a lot younger, the local stations would run Ann's old MGM pictures on weekend afternoons. I enjoyed her "Maisie" films -- a whole series of them! And she was damned good at drama, too. "Cry Havoc," a war film, was great... and, of course, my all time Sothern favorite, "A Letter to Three Wives." Her "hits" far far far outnumber her "misses."

Speaking of "misses," I think my least favorite LUCY SHOW episodes are as follows:

Season 1 - "Lucy and the Lost Butterfly"

Season 2 - "Lucy and the Scout Trip"

Season 3 - "Lucy and the Monsters"

Season 4 - "Lucy the Superwoman" (tied with "Lucy the Rain Goddess")

Season 5 - "Lucy Meets the Law"

Season 6 - "Lucy and Sid Caesar"

What I think is fascinating is the fact that (with a few exceptions) everyone has listed different shows -- both on the favorites list and the least-favorite list. Lucy's shows were so rich and varied! Some of my favorites are on some of the others' least-favorite list, and vice versa...

Also, with the exception of "Monsters," all of the shows on my least-favorite list came late in their respective seasons. I've always wondered if the various writers were running out of steam by then, and even weaker storylines got accepted...

Fun stuff!

Speaking of "misses," I think my least favorite LUCY SHOW episodes are as follows:

Season 1 - "Lucy and the Lost Butterfly"

Season 2 - "Lucy and the Scout Trip"

Season 3 - "Lucy and the Monsters"

Season 4 - "Lucy the Superwoman" (tied with "Lucy the Rain Goddess")

Season 5 - "Lucy Meets the Law"

Season 6 - "Lucy and Sid Caesar"

Fun stuff!

I'm on board with all your picks except for "Meets the Law"....How can you resist the team of Iris "Hard Head Hogan" Adrian and Jody "Tinkerbell" Gilbert"?

This season had more than its share of mediocre shows, but any 5th season episode that gives me a laugh is a cut above "Monkey" "Ernie Ford" or "Main Street part TWO".

Lucy: I don't feel welcome here.

Jody: AHHHH... you're as welcome as the flowers in May.

and

Iris: Tinkerbell, my roommate would like a cup of coffee.

Jody: But of course! And would madame like cream and sugar in her coffee.

Lucy: I'll take a little cream but no sugar. I'll take saccharine cause I'm on a diet and...

Jody: AWW! SHUT UP!

Whenever I'm in LA and pass Western or Melrose, I think of Lucy's references to those streets.

If I had to pick a worst from season 2, "Scouts" might be one...and only because it meanders towards the end with them getting lost one too many times. The CBS morning/NickatNite edited version cuts this off after they lose the scouts the first time and doesn't include the end canoe scene. The set designer did a pretty good job of creating an outdoor set.

Ann did a great job in "The Killing Kind" (1974?)--an oscar-nom worthy performance. I don't know that the picture was officially released because of some bad debt-lien, but is out on DVD. It's a little grizzly in parts but Ann shows what a true actress she is, even this late in the game. I think this is the last picture she did before that freak on-stage accident rendered her slightly crippled. I wonder how Ann felt about Lucy getting "Mame", which Ann did onstage to great acclaim in Honolulu for an extended run in 1969, while at the same time she had to settle for low-budget stuff like "Kind".

I don't get the hate. Music world is easily in my top 20. LOL Whoever doesn't like it probably still have their trousseaux lying on their shelves. :lucythrill:

Oh is THAT the one we're talking about, terrific friend Mel and her singing one of her all time funniest songs, i LOVE that part of the show anyway.

Chedder, I agree with most of your picks as well. Except, again I love "Lucy, The Superwoman." And I don't mind "Lucy Meets The Berles," "Lucy, The Undercover Agent," or "Lucy, The Philanthropist."

However, I like both of those Season Three episodes. And I especially love "Lucy Makes A Pinch." That's one of my favorites from the season. What do you not like about it?

Lucy meets the Berles, if that's the one with Berle getting the salad dressing on his head is one of the funniest of the whole series.

They're GREAT because ANN is the best, and she and Lucy worked so well together, love them all, but the weight one WAS the weakest of the lot. Would have loved to see Ann as the new Viv.

I'm on board with all your picks except for "Meets the Law"....How can you resist the team of Iris "Hard Head Hogan" Adrian and Jody "Tinkerbell" Gilbert"?

This season had more than its share of mediocre shows, but any 5th season episode that gives me a laugh is a cut above "Monkey" "Ernie Ford" or "Main Street part TWO".

Lucy: I don't feel welcome here.

Jody: AHHHH... you're as welcome as the flowers in May.

and

Iris: Tinkerbell, my roommate would like a cup of coffee.

Jody: But of course! And would madame like cream and sugar in her coffee.

Lucy: I'll take a little cream but no sugar. I'll take saccharine cause I'm on a diet and...

Jody: AWW! SHUT UP!

Whenever I'm in LA and pass Western or Melrose, I think of Lucy's references to those streets.

If I had to pick a worst from season 2, "Scouts" might be one...and only because it meanders towards the end with them getting lost one too many times. The CBS morning/NickatNite edited version cuts this off after they lose the scouts the first time and doesn't include the end canoe scene. The set designer did a pretty good job of creating an outdoor set.

Ann did a great job in "The Killing Kind" (1974?)--an oscar-nom worthy performance. I don't know that the picture was officially released because of some bad debt-lien, but is out on DVD. It's a little grizzly in parts but Ann shows what a true actress she is, even this late in the game. I think this is the last picture she did before that freak on-stage accident rendered her slightly crippled. I wonder how Ann felt about Lucy getting "Mame", which Ann did onstage to great acclaim in Honolulu for an extended run in 1969, while at the same time she had to settle for low-budget stuff like "Kind".

Did you forget Ann's supporting actress Oscar nod for Whales of August with Davis and Gish, i think THAT was her last movie. She walked with a cane in that but still gave a better performance than Davis.

You can call me "Miki with the trousseaux lying on my shelf". I really don't like that episode! I can't wait to share my favourite and least favourite episodes with you all (I only have 2 left to watch from Season 6). No doubt some of you will be shocked with my choices because I have found one episode that I am pretty sure is my favourite from Season 6 listed as someone's LEAST favourite episode! LOL! But I'm sure my choices won't shock any of you - after all, it is ME we are speaking about!

Archived