Hollywood Byline: Lucille Ball

One is Lucy says she would like to do more television, but hopes they can get it on film. She, of course, pioneered that.

Oh my, a regular John Edward huh? Listen Harry, i was going to PM you an apology for my feeble attempt at humor in that thread where i talked about kissing a$$, i was just stupidly joking that in my mind, you've always been this board's Marjorie Lord, as i've always found you to be sweet and kind and decent with everybody, so i thought you were the Marjorie Lord here, all sickeningly sweet as Lucy Ricardo said, hope you did not take offence, i was just joking badly. I have liked you from day one and have never changed my view of you, you have always been in my top five people on Lucy boards and certainly one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to anything Lucy, sory about that. :lucycoy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot wait to listen to this, Lucy talking naturally about what's happened to her in her career is just my all time favorite thing, which is why she should have helmed a talk show at some point. My computer should be fixed later this week so i can enjoy this, no sound here at work damnit!

Claude, this may be a dumb suggestion but just wondering have you checked to see if your speaker is unplugged, or if your keyboard has a mute button something may have fallen on it and turned it on without you knowing it, that happened to me years ago and I didn't why the my sound wasn't working for weeks as I had no idea there was a damn mute button outside of the one on the speaker! Also even without a button on the keyboard it's possible mute was somehow turned on in your control panel.

Can you list ANY examples, as i might not get the computer fixed for another week damnitall!

Don't want to spoil it for you with TMI but Lucy starts off talking about working with Bob Hope in their two films and hopes to do a sequel to Sorrowful Jones, mentions her reasons for leaving MGM, her career plans and drive, performing on stage in "Dream Girl", talks a bit about the earlier rough patch in her marriage with Desi (atypically vague here :lucycoy:), an offer to make a movie in England that she plans to accept, possibly playing the Palladium in London with Desi, thoughts about working in television (she seems to suggest she's considering doing both pictures and tv concurrently ala movies and radio), etc. Later when she "questions" the press (actually more just getting on a soapbox with her opinions :lucyhaha: ) she lets it out how pissed off she is when the local press calls some unknown woman arrested for drunkeness an "actress" even though she's not actually in the industry (honestly thought she was going to go somewhere else with the "arrested... for being drunk" comment and suspect that's where she was initially headed) and in a real surprise though with classic Lucy bluntness comments to the fan magazine writers how irritated she is when she allows the press into her home for a pictorial and interview the end result is often an article full of snarky and vaguely insulting comments. She also has a funny albeit gentle dig at one of the interviewers who apparently was less than a active participant in the interview at the end. This is a priceless piece of Lucy history, you won't want to just listen to it but download it onto your computer or burn it on a cd!

Claude, this may be a dumb suggestion but just wondering have you checked to see if your speaker is unplugged, or if your keyboard has a mute button something may have fallen on it and turned it on without you knowing it, that happened to me years ago and I didn't why the my sound wasn't working for weeks as I had no idea there was a damn mute button outside of the one on the speaker! Also even without a button on the keyboard it's possible mute was somehow turned on in your control panel.

The computer here at work had it's speakers REMOVED and the one at home no longer works, beau was supposed to fix it this week but now won't be coming till next week so i'm screwed, thanks for your comments which i will go read right now, thanks.

The computer here at work had it's speakers REMOVED and the one at home no longer works, beau was supposed to fix it this week but now won't be coming till next week so i'm screwed, thanks for your comments which i will go read right now, thanks.

I love how he says Mrs McGillicudy lol

Don't want to spoil it for you with TMI but Lucy starts off talking about working with Bob Hope in their two films and hopes to do a sequel to Sorrowful Jones, mentions her reasons for leaving MGM, her career plans and drive, performing on stage in "Dream Girl", talks a bit about the earlier rough patch in her marriage with Desi (atypically vague here :lucycoy:), an offer to make a movie in England that she plans to accept, possibly playing the Palladium in London with Desi, thoughts about working in television (she seems to suggest she's considering doing both pictures and tv concurrently ala movies and radio), etc. Later when she "questions" the press (actually more just getting on a soapbox with her opinions :lucyhaha: ) she lets it out how pissed off she is when the local press calls some unknown woman arrested for drunkeness an "actress" even though she's not actually in the industry (honestly thought she was going to go somewhere else with the "arrested... for being drunk" comment and suspect that's where she was initially headed) and in a real surprise though with classic Lucy bluntness comments to the fan magazine writers how irritated she is when she allows the press into her home for a pictorial and interview the end result is often an article full of snarky and vaguely insulting comments. She also has a funny albeit gentle dig at one of the interviewers who apparently was less than a active participant in the interview at the end. This is a priceless piece of Lucy history, you won't want to just listen to it but download it onto your computer or burn it on a cd!

W O W , thanks for all that, what an insight into her thoughts and actions, i have the vague feeling that with Lucy, if you stood up to her, she would back down easily, but you'd better be damned right about what you're talking about. And never worry about giving me too much info, i'm one of those people who hates guessing games, gimme names and numbers, i love spoilers.

Ok, now that my new computer is up, i was finally able to listen to a quarter of it before leaving for work, will get the rest tomorrow. Couldn't recognize Lucy's voice, so different. Love her opinions and comments but that noise distraction was so annoying, are these radio people pros or amateurs, is that the way to do an interview with a megastar? :lucydisgust:

Ok, now that my new computer is up, i was finally able to listen to a quarter of it before leaving for work, will get the rest tomorrow. Couldn't recognize Lucy's voice, so different. Love her opinions and comments but that noise distraction was so annoying, are these radio people pros or amateurs, is that the way to do an interview with a megastar? :lucydisgust:

I didn't think there was anything unusual about her voice but then I've been listening to a lot of her radio shows of late so maybe it just wasn't her "Lucy" voice. I'm sure this was edited down to a half-hour broadcast but I agree was it really that hard to stay professional for 80 minutes or so as if you were broadcasting live, I'm wondering if maybe this was not recorded at a radio studio but possibly a film set or something because how hard can it be to sit there and ask questions and have it recorded properly.

I didn't think there was anything unusual about her voice but then I've been listening to a lot of her radio shows of late so maybe it just wasn't her "Lucy" voice. I'm sure this was edited down to a half-hour broadcast but I agree was it really that hard to stay professional for 80 minutes or so as if you were broadcasting live, I'm wondering if maybe this was not recorded at a radio studio but possibly a film set or something because how hard can it be to sit there and ask questions and have it recorded properly.

Well, as much as i love listening to HER talking naturally and about such great subject matter, that crap going on around her was driving me nuts and i never went back for the rest, i'll see if i can fit it in later tonight and i'm really looking forward to hearing more from HER, not the background crap, LOL!

This is SUCH a find....It's great that there's still undiscovered treasures.

Random notes:

Florence Nightengale, Lillian Russell: Lucy "played" one and almost the other!

The "Ball tongue": there's just something wrong with that phrase.

Sequel to Sorrowful?

Lucy describing the "Ed Wynn" as "the show he did for CAMEL" sounded funny.

"Little bit harder" inflection sounds a lot like "little bit tired (of the high-handed way that...oh Ethel, darling)"

Didn't know they were talking about the feasibility of color TV this early.

Top comedienne of 1949? Awarded by whom?

Director? Well she finally made it......with Bungle Abbey (though she took credit for Desilu Revue and half of "Lucy, the Sheriff")

Did he say $28,000 ABC mic? That's $365,000 in 2012 dollars!!

"I need to learn to squawk..." Well, as Parley Baer would say: SHE LEARNED IT!!

Desi as Robert Cappa? Wonder what the story is. Was Cappa also a Cuban tobacco picker?

Champagne shampoo....and beer. I thought that was just a joke in the Burtons episode. Didn't realize women actually did this.

I've never known what "transcribed" (in Hollywood) means.

mrs mcgillicuddy: was liz's maiden name McGillicuddy on My Favorite Husband? Other than Lucy's clan, I don't know that I've EVER heard the name.

Lucy's questions left the panel a little speechless, because the reason is so self-evident. She probably had some recent incident that stuck in her craw.

Desi as Robert Cappa? Wonder what the story is. Was Cappa also a Cuban tobacco picker?

mrs mcgillicuddy: was liz's maiden name McGillicuddy on My Favorite Husband? Other than Lucy's clan, I don't know that I've EVER heard the name.

Robert Capa was a Hungarian-born war photographer. The film was entitled "Slightly Out of Focus" and was supposed to be directed by two time Oscar winner Lewis Milestone. Lucy would have played Desi/Capa's love interest, but would have have ended up with him in the end. Filming had a June 1950 start date in Paris. I assume the picture was cancelled because of Lucy's pregnancy, if it wasn't already cancelled earlier. Capa thought he and Desi resembled each other. Judge for yourself.

tumblr_mco4lrv4z61qzbp5io1_250.jpg

Liz Cugat/Cooper's maiden name was Elliott.

Robert Capa was a Hungarian-born war photographer. The film was entitled "Slightly Out of Focus" and was supposed to be directed by two time Oscar winner Lewis Milestone. Lucy would have played Capa's love interest, but would have have ended up with him int he end. Filming had a June 1950 start date in Paris. I assume the picture was cancelled because of Lucy's pregnancy, if it wasn't already cancelled earlier. Capa thought he and Desi resembled each other. Judge for yourself.

tumblr_mco4lrv4z61qzbp5io1_250.jpg

Liz Cugat/Cooper's maiden name was Elliott.

Nope. He looks like a young Jerry Orbach. :peachonthebeach:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally had the time to listen to the whole damned thing, great interview, wish it had been edited though. You can tell how honest Lucy is in real life as she just rattles everything off so fast it can't possibly be anything but the truth. If she thinks it, she says it and tells it like it is, love that about her, so rare in Hollyweird. You see how great she would have been hosting a talk show?

Well, finally had the time to listen to the whole damned thing, great interview, wish it had been edited though. You can tell how honest Lucy is in real life as she just rattles everything off so fast it can't possibly be anything but the truth. If she thinks it, she says it and tells it like it is, love that about her, so rare in Hollyweird. You see how great she would have been hosting a talk show?

I dunno about her being a good host on a TV show. For instance, her radio show. I think she could listen well as a host, but she was so self aware, that all of the things the people would say

would instantly be identified and shed start talking about her interpretation or her views lolol rather than ask more "girlfriend" questions.

lol Anytime shed identify shed say something like "Thats like me, some times when Gary and I." and so and so and so and so lol

I dunno about her being a good host on a TV show. For instance, her radio show. I think she could listen well as a host, but she was so self aware, that all of the things the people would say

would instantly be identified and shed start talking about her interpretation or her views lolol rather than ask more "girlfriend" questions.

lol Anytime shed identify shed say something like "Thats like me, some times when Gary and I." and so and so and so and so lol

Bull, she would have been great on a talk show hosting as she was terrific on her Let's Talk to Lucy and that was just 15 minutes on a radio show, imagine her with a whole hour and some great friends on with her.

Bull, she would have been great on a talk show hosting as she was terrific on her Let's Talk to Lucy and that was just 15 minutes on a radio show, imagine her with a whole hour and some great friends on with her.

Hell yeah, get Betty White or the Carols on there and talk about old lady sex, menopause, and all sorts of stuff like they talk about nowadays on these shows. Kinda like "The View" but with Lucy as host. That would've been a riot. :marionstrong:

Archived