Box of memorabilia uploads

Neil

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And WTF?? This was published in 1970. What did Mr. Weaver know that the rest of us did NOT?

DJB_1.jpg

DJB_2.jpg

DJB_3.jpg

and just in case you missed it:

DJB_3a.jpg

!!!

I've seen that book in the libraries for years and yes, there are many errors in the filmographies for many stars but then this was published back in 1970 when there were very little reference material on this nature out, the author probably relied mainly on magazine articles. I noticed too he had several 1969-70 "movies" that were never made, obviously listing things that were announced or mentioned as possibilities at the time and wanting to have the information in the book in advance trouble is so many of them were never filmed. Notice too he also several a few of Lucy's movies listed under their production titles AND release titles and listed as separate films, probably going by preview reviews and release reviews and not recognizing they were the same film.

This ad campaign for "Mame" replaced the collage format. This was quite large: about 1/6th of the entire page.

MameBagdad2ndAd52474.jpg

That Mame ad needs to be copied and sent to every idiot "writer" who writes about what a flop it was. I don't know many flop movies that play for over 8 weeks to say nothing of getting a big ad in their 8th week!

I've seen that book in the libraries for years and yes, there are many errors in the filmographies for many stars but then this was published back in 1970 when there were very little reference material on this nature out, the author probably relied mainly on magazine articles. I noticed too he had several 1969-70 "movies" that were never made, obviously listing things that were announced or mentioned as possibilities at the time and wanting to have the information in the book in advance trouble is so many of them were never filmed. Notice too he also several a few of Lucy's movies listed under their production titles AND release titles and listed as separate films, probably going by preview reviews and release reviews and not recognizing they were the same film.

Yeah, but listing Lucy as the STAR of Gone with the Wind was a bit much.

That Mame ad needs to be copied and sent to every idiot "writer" who writes about what a flop it was. I don't know many flop movies that play for over 8 weeks to say nothing of getting a big ad in their 8th week!

But as we recently stated, the movie did get some very positive glowing reviews also. Don't send it to them. They have their own.

I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about this before. The Loco character was played by marilyn Monroe in the movie and Barbara Eden in the TV series.

LocoPlay.jpg

Any way of getting the month, day and year of this article, Neil? Thanks.... The rest of the article would be lovely, as well.

Fondly, JK

Any way of getting the month, day and year of this article, Neil? Thanks.... The rest of the article would be lovely, as well.

Fondly, JK

I'll check and see if I can figure it out. It is just a clipping and I don't know where it came from. The rest of the article has nothing to do with Lucy.

I'll check and see if I can figure it out. It is just a clipping and I don't know where it came from. The rest of the article has nothing to do with Lucy.

It's from Hollywood Studio magazine aka Hollywood Then & Now. Joan Evans was the editor there for a few years in the 1980's. (Haven't read this piece before though so I can't add anything to it specifically.)

Was "The Entertainers" a different Carol Burnett series, one that never made it to the air, or a preproduction title of TCBS?

"The Entertainers" pre-dated The CB series by 3 years and has a fascinating story itself. It was done in NYC by the recently available Garry Moore Show production theme. The idea was that Carol, Bob Newhart and Caterina Valenti were hosts that rotated or appeared in some combination on the same show. I don't know which contract Carol signed first but simultaneous to this series, she was doing the Broadway show "Fade Out Fade In", which like "Wildcat" was a bigger audience hit than is remembered. How you do a Broadway show and a TV series at the same time is beyond me. Carol was only 30 then but it must have wore her out and eventually she wanted OUT of "Fade". The official story was that her back was injured when a taxi she was riding in was hit by another one (this is NEW YORK, after all). They tried Betty Hutton as a replacement but the BO dropped (which surprises me a little--wouldn't BH still have some draw?). The show was closed with the idea that it would re-open when Carol recovered. When Carol went back to "Entertainers", the "Fade" producers cried fowl and through legal means FORCED Carol back in the "Fade", which did reopen. The momentum was gone though and the show folded after a brief, but respectable run. I don't know if all this hubbub or Carol's absence was the cause of "The Entertainers" demise but it did not last the entire season.

One of the few holy grails I have left is Vivian Vance's guest appearance on this show. I don't know if Carol was on the same segment or not. Viv gets to do a few numbers in her nighclub style...The script (assuming this was not adlibbed) has her talking to Lucy before her number ("Lucy, I know you're watching...."). Very interesting since The Entertainers was simultaneous to the 3rd season of TLS, Viv's last. And this is a Vivian Vance we rarely get to see.

Between the ages of 10 and 12, I wrote my own neighborhood newspaper. We lived on MacArthur St. so it was called the MacArthur Street News. I had pretty much forgotten about it until at Thanksgiving my mother gave me a folder with all of them she had saved. I did not remember I was so prolific. There has to be a hundred here and it's certainly not all of them. Originally I typed it out (on a typewriter....google it...), making 6 copies simultaneously. Like Hermes Pan, I used carbon paper.

You got a LOT for 2 cents, I must say. Hollywood news ("Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine Divorce". In the body of the story, I listed among Ernest's ex-wives: SHIRLEY BOOTH!!!) , the local theater's bill for the weekend, a joke, the weather (I just made it up!), a serialized version of some movie I had seen, the TV listings for the evening and plenty of neighborhood news.

Sample headlines: "Jack Todd,12, Gets Glasses", "Puff (cat) Missing", "Lamberts Bought a New Couch", "Carol Wilburn Gets Her Driver's License" (my sister who's 5 years older had her life events chronicled for all to read about, at times embarrassing for her) and the one that got me into trouble "Reva Johnson Has Her Hemorrhoids Removed" (well I didn't know what they were! I just overheard my mother and another woman talking.)

PLUS you got a Star Life Story. WHICH brings me to my point:

Whenever I hear this person or that person referring to themselves as "Lucy's #1 Fan", because blah blah blah blah, I think back to how I unselfishly promoted her over the years. Lucille Ball had NO idea what a booster she had in a certain 10 year old from a dinky Oregon town. NOT ONLY did I shave 10 years (and 10 days!) off her age, and I knew full well what year she was born, I asserted that The Lucy Show was NUMBER ONE in the Nielsen ratings. (My name's Neil. I'm somebody's son, and it was #1 in our household because no other prime time show got as consistent a viewship). AND I compromised my journalistic integrity by intimating this was taken from an encyclopedia, 'cause everybody knew I loved Lucy and I didn't want to appear biased.

MacarthurNewsTitle.jpg

LucyLifeStory1.jpg

LucyLifeStory2.jpg

Between the ages of 10 and 12, I wrote my own neighborhood newspaper. We lived on MacArthur St. so it was called the MacArthur Street News. I had pretty much forgotten about it until at Thanksgiving my mother gave me a folder with all of them she had saved. I did not remember I was so prolific. There has to be a hundred here and it's certainly not all of them. Originally I typed it out (on a typewriter....google it...), making 6 copies simultaneously. Like Hermes Pan, I used carbon paper.

You got a LOT for 2 cents, I must say. Hollywood news ("Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine Divorce". In the body of the story, I listed among Ernest's ex-wives: SHIRLEY BOOTH!!!) , the local theater's bill for the weekend, a joke, the weather (I just made it up!), a serialized version of some movie I had seen, the TV listings for the evening and plenty of neighborhood news.

Sample headlines: "Jack Todd,12, Gets Glasses", "Puff (cat) Missing", "Lamberts Bought a New Couch", "Carol Wilburn Gets Her Driver's License" (my sister who's 5 years older had her life events chronicled for all to read about, at times embarrassing for her) and the one that got me into trouble "Reva Johnson Has Her Hemorrhoids Removed" (well I didn't know what they were! I just overheard my mother and another woman talking.)

PLUS you got a Star Life Story. WHICH brings me to my point:

Whenever I hear this person or that person referring to themselves as "Lucy's #1 Fan", because blah blah blah blah, I think back to how I unselfishly promoted her over the years. Lucille Ball had NO idea what a booster she had in a certain 10 year old from a dinky Oregon town. NOT ONLY did I shave 10 years (and 10 days!) off her age, and I knew full well what year she was born, I asserted that The Lucy Show was NUMBER ONE in the Nielsen ratings. (My name's Neil. I'm somebody's son, and it was #1 in our household because no other prime time show got as consistent a viewship). AND I compromised my journalistic integrity by intimating this was taken from an encyclopedia, 'cause everybody knew I loved Lucy and I didn't want to appear biased.

MacarthurNewsTitle.jpg

LucyLifeStory1.jpg

LucyLifeStory2.jpg

This is amazing on so many levels! Thanks for sharing. It's a riot!

"The Long, Lone Trailer" sounds so sad.

:viv1: I could cry now just thinking about it.

When your working with carbon paper, you had to just let those typos go. Ask Hermes Pan!

I think the only Lucy movie I'd seen was "Fancy Pants" which probably played our theater about this time.

It was the re-release of the early 60s, because the poster on the outside of the theater said "Bob tames the "Wildcat" gal" and I really didn't know what they meant by that.

During the course of the paper Lucy was the subject of our star biography at least two other times and I fluctuated her year of birth each time, once it was 1918.. I know I never got anywhere near 1911. I probably didn't remember what year I put down the last time.

Oh, and get this.....

I was unaware of her real age but assumed she was younger than my mother who was born in 1921 (and is still going strong---knock wood!). There was a Q&A in a magazine that asked and when the answer was 1911---after I did my subtraction I was SHOCKED. Lucy, at 53, was older than any of the adults I knew, except for grandparents. I knew because I started asking. Another 1911 YOB was friend's grandmother, who looked like Barbara Pepper of the Green Acres years. How could this be?? It was obviously a misprint.

Before anyone else saw the magazine, I took an eraser to the "11" and tried to pencil in "20" with marginally effective results. I'm not even sure if it was our magazine. Someone mentioned the lop-sided "20" and I said the magazine probably had not let the ink dry properly.

I defy any of these other "#1 fans" to top THAT....

I love it! As for the number one Lucy fan.. those don't exist to me in any fan base. How can one say they love her more than the other? But I must say Neil and HarryCarter's facts are AHMAZING.

There's one particularly '#1 fan' that annoys me.. I'm sure I don't stand alone in this.

• 2 weeks later...

January 18, 1964 edition of TV Guide : on the Hollywood page of the GLORIOUS mustard-yellow "Teletypes"--where they would always underline a show title and put names all in caps.

"Negotiations are underway which may result in The Lucy Show's being expanded to an hour next season, filling the half-hour gap left in the Monday night schedule by DANNY THOMAS. But LUCILLE BALL is not saying if she will be back at all and probably won't say until she gest the word on a bagful of Desilu pilots she's like to see on the air next year : The Donald O'Connor Show, Hooray for Hollwyood, I and Claudie, Hey, Teacher with DWAYNE HICKMAN and Papa GI with DAN DAILEY as an Army sergeant in Korea. "

I remember seeing Hey Teacher as part of Vacation Playhouse and thought it was OK. Didn't Hooray have June Havoc? Have no idea what I and Claudie was. I don't think this Donald O'Connor show was "Music mart" but could have been dusted off 18 years later for "moves to NBC". She was certainly loyal to O'Connor. You would think she'd have more pull at CBS. Whether or not any of these were good or bad, they couldn't have been any worse than 90% of the new network comedies scheduled for the fall of 1964.

But WHAT did they think they could do with an hour version of TLS? Hadn't they learned their lesson with the comedy hours?

Barbara had not yet done any of her Lucy Shows

BMorrisonCU.jpg

December 1958 rerun of Lamas. With music? I don't recall any. Rated last year's funniest special? I like Sun Valley, but what about Tallulah?

LamasRErun1258.jpg

and

DesiluWorkshop.jpg

Archived