LUCY MEETS THE STARS PHOTO THREAD

Lucyilove

LB, Beverly Hills hairstylist, Gene Shacove and Janet Leigh in 1963.

Gene Shacove was a Beverly Hills stylist who helped invent the celebrity hairdresser and was the inspiration for the movie "Shampoo."

If that's the kind of dress she wanted she sure picked a good one.

up.jpeg

LB, Beverly Hills hairstylist, Gene Shacove and Janet Leigh in 1963.

Gene Shacove was a Beverly Hills stylist who helped invent the celebrity hairdresser and was the inspiration for the movie "Shampoo."

Thanks a 1,000,000, Rickee; when you are good, you are very good!  Loving you, JK

Frank's another star that never guested on Lucy's show.  In fact, I don't know if they ever worked together.  It could be that their price  was too low.  When guest stars started appearing regularly on the TLS and HL, from 1965, she was no longer getting big movie people as in the days of the Ricardos in Hollywood  (Other than those budget-busting Burtons, and John Wayne I guess).   Lucy and Frank seemed to be friends or at least have some affection for each other.  The night of Lucy's 1967 Emmy win, she was the presenter of the best single musical program.  I only had the audio of this, but the way she reads "Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music, Part 2", you could tell she wanted him to win.  But when Lucy opened up the envelope, she let out an audible sigh of disappointment before announcing  the winner as "Brigadoon".   BTW, host Joey Bishop introduced her as "the apple of the CBS eye, Lucille Ball".   Also after Lucy's win, Joey made the comment: "It think it's wonderful that someone like Lucille Ball wins and it makes her cry (audience laugh). No, there's no joke here.  Although I think it's kind of embarrassing to see her husband cry in the audience. But that's because he's not out playing golf". 

Frank was the host of the 1968 awards and seemed genuinely pleased when he read off the nominees and announced Lucy's name as the winner.  Carol Burnett and Lucy came on stage and the three talked about how hard it was to believe that there had now been 20 years of television by way of introduction to the "I Remember It Well" song.  Frank sang the intro, then Carol and Lucy did the rest, talk/singing most of it.

The top shot of LB with Sinatra is at the Friars Club benefit for Milton Berle at the Beverly Hills Hilton, October 1973.

Wearing the same outfit, she taped The Dick Cavett show in March of 1974.

Yup, they were good friends, when Frank's tv series failed, his last words were I'M DONE WITH TV, LUCY CAN HAVE IT!  After Lucy died, asshole gary went to Frank's house to complain about her, which everybody said was showing his lack of class.  Frank did appear on I Love Lucy one time.  Desi told the story of being short for like three minutes on one show so he called a studio and figured if he had to get something of 3 minutes or so, he may as well get the best three minutes he could, so he got Sinatra singing on the show.  But although it aired that night, that way, with Frank singing on the show, it was never included in reruns of course.  Frank apparently called and asked how come he wound up on I Love Lucy without his even knowing about it.

In her book, Madelyn wrote that they briefly had an idea for Frank Sinatra to play one of Lucy Ricardo's former boyfriends. The idea never went any further than that.

Lucy and Frank did work together on radio's Screen Guild Theater's presentation of Too Many Husbands with Bob Hope. They also did several tributes for each other and others.

• Like 1

Frank's another star that never guested on Lucy's show.  In fact, I don't know if they ever worked together.  It could be that their price  was too low.  When guest stars started appearing regularly on the TLS and HL, from 1965, she was no longer getting big movie people as in the days of the Ricardos in Hollywood  (Other than those budget-busting Burtons, and John Wayne I guess).   Lucy and Frank seemed to be friends or at least have some affection for each other.  The night of Lucy's 1967 Emmy win, she was the presenter of the best single musical program.  I only had the audio of this, but the way she reads "Frank Sinatra: A Man and His Music, Part 2", you could tell she wanted him to win.  But when Lucy opened up the envelope, she let out an audible sigh of disappointment before announcing  the winner as "Brigadoon".   BTW, host Joey Bishop introduced her as "the apple of the CBS eye, Lucille Ball".   Also after Lucy's win, Joey made the comment: "It think it's wonderful that someone like Lucille Ball wins and it makes her cry (audience laugh). No, there's no joke here.  Although I think it's kind of embarrassing to see her husband cry in the audience. But that's because he's not out playing golf". 

Frank was the host of the 1968 awards and seemed genuinely pleased when he read off the nominees and announced Lucy's name as the winner.  Carol Burnett and Lucy came on stage and the three talked about how hard it was to believe that there had now been 20 years of television by way of introduction to the "I Remember It Well" song.  Frank sang the intro, then Carol and Lucy did the rest, talk/singing most of it.

Having a 'deuce' of a time trying to find a site where I can ALL dates of roasts/ceremonies, etc., of the Friars' Club.  Anyone have any ideas?  I really doubt like heck the guy I e-mailed will get back to me; but, I also gave that a try yesterday.  Harry????

ANYONE????