Put the Blame for Mame

Neil

Hahaha. Yeah I know. I didn't want to but poor Angie didn't really fit anywhere else. Besides, Roz covered up Robert Preston so it just wasn't a good day for any co-star. It's all about the Mames :D

That banner is just wonderful... Wish I could do stuff like that.. Definately one of the nicest tribute to a great broadway show.

"Auntie Mame" is just a movie. "Mame" is just a movie. In the grand scheme of things, nothing to lose sleep about. Lucy had her moments. Roz had her moments. Angela had her moments. I appreciate elements of all three of them, and if I am partial to Roz or Angela, that certainly doesn't mean I expect you to be. But it is the case for me.

While I don't hate the film, it will never be a favourite of mine nor will it ever stand as Miss Ball's crowning achievement in my eyes. But that certainly doesn't mean I begrudge anyone liking it. You shared your views, I shared mine. I certainly wasn't expecting or anticipating everyone to agree with me, just as I know (some of you) weren't expecting me to agree with you.

Besides, it's only one role that Lucy played that I didn't especially adore her in. Considering her 76 other films out there, not to mention her hundreds upon hundreds of TV episodes and specials and guest appearances, a measley one role that didn't exactly do it for me isn't that bad. Most actors would KILL for that kind of track record. Hell, almost any actor out there has done a part that not everyone felt they were suited for. Doesn't mean we begrudge that performer trying. We'll just continue to adore them for their other accomplishments. And even if I didn't necessarily love every film or episode Lucille did, that isn't to say that she herself didn't make some or most of it worthwhile.

So throw all the negatives you want at me, if you so desire. I certainly have enjoyed things in the past that others didn't. I've been a part of that vocal minority that sticks up for something few others seem to. Different types of entertainment appeal to different people. Even the stage version of Mame will never be a favourite of mine, and no matter who had done the movie it probably wouldn't be a favourite of mine. But if it is one of yours, then by George watch it six ways to Sunday until your little hearts are happy and God Bless Ya for it!

But is it really necessary to take me to task just because it's essentially the only thing in the Lucille Ball canon that doesn't thrill me to my very core? And even then, I certainly don't HATE it. There are many many many more movies out there that I'd gladly skip over in favour of watching Mame. So I do beg the pardon of anyone my previous posts offended. It is merely my opinion (shared by some others, but I digress) and was certainly not meant to provoke anyone into changing their minds. I just merely wanted to throw in my contrarian viewpoint.

At the end of the day I say we all put this in perspective. Entertainment is just that...entertainment. However important it may be to all of us, there are far better things to get bent out of shape about. I say we all calm down, have a good laugh and take each bit of Lucy material as we want to, no matter what anyone else thinks.

"Auntie Mame" is just a movie. "Mame" is just a movie. In the grand scheme of things, nothing to lose sleep about. Lucy had her moments. Roz had her moments. Angela had her moments. I appreciate elements of all three of them, and if I am partial to Roz or Angela, that certainly doesn't mean I expect you to be. But it is the case for me.

While I don't hate the film, it will never be a favourite of mine nor will it ever stand as Miss Ball's crowning achievement in my eyes. But that certainly doesn't mean I begrudge anyone liking it. You shared your views, I shared mine. I certainly wasn't expecting or anticipating everyone to agree with me, just as I know (some of you) weren't expecting me to agree with you.

Besides, it's only one role that Lucy played that I didn't especially adore her in. Considering her 76 other films out there, not to mention her hundreds upon hundreds of TV episodes and specials and guest appearances, a measley one role that didn't exactly do it for me isn't that bad. Most actors would KILL for that kind of track record. Hell, almost any actor out there has done a part that not everyone felt they were suited for. Doesn't mean we begrudge that performer trying. We'll just continue to adore them for their other accomplishments. And even if I didn't necessarily love every film or episode Lucille did, that isn't to say that she herself didn't make some or most of it worthwhile.

So throw all the negatives you want at me, if you so desire. I certainly have enjoyed things in the past that others didn't. I've been a part of that vocal minority that sticks up for something few others seem to. Different types of entertainment appeal to different people. Even the stage version of Mame will never be a favourite of mine, and no matter who had done the movie it probably wouldn't be a favourite of mine. But if it is one of yours, then by George watch it six ways to Sunday until your little hearts are happy and God Bless Ya for it!

But is it really necessary to take me to task just because it's essentially the only thing in the Lucille Ball canon that doesn't thrill me to my very core? And even then, I certainly don't HATE it. There are many many many more movies out there that I'd gladly skip over in favour of watching Mame. So I do beg the pardon of anyone my previous posts offended. It is merely my opinion (shared by some others, but I digress) and was certainly not meant to provoke anyone into changing their minds. I just merely wanted to throw in my contrarian viewpoint.

At the end of the day I say we all put this in perspective. Entertainment is just that...entertainment. However important it may be to all of us, there are far better things to get bent out of shape about. I say we all calm down, have a good laugh and take each bit of Lucy material as we want to, no matter what anyone else thinks.

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT you shouldn't let one negative mark against your name upset you (I know that I shouldn't really say anything because when I've had 3 negatives against a comment of mine many moons ago and it hurt me). Just look at it that someone didn't agree with you. Like you said, it's no big deal - some people will like Mame, other's won't. I mean I've admitted many times before that I am not a fan of most of Lucy's pre ILL movies and to be honest, I think I might only own a handful of them (on VHS) LOL! So that shows you how much they don't interest me.

Your comments on Mame never bothered me at all, it was those snide hurtful ones about her being haughty and shoving the film down our throats and anytime someone quotes a critic like Fidleman, well that's an uphill battle right there.

Your comments on Mame never bothered me at all, it was those snide hurtful ones about her being haughty and shoving the film down our throats and anytime someone quotes a critic like Fidleman, well that's an uphill battle right there.

Well, Lucy's actions are up for debate. I, however, truthfully believe that it was just one thing among many that hurt the film in the long run. I think Lucille's passion for the film was wonderful, but the fact that others have published things that have said so much means it's not just me talking. It's a fact that there are those who feel that way. That's all I was brinigng up.

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT you shouldn't let one negative mark against your name upset you (I know that I shouldn't really say anything because when I've had 3 negatives against a comment of mine many moons ago and it hurt me). Just look at it that someone didn't agree with you. Like you said, it's no big deal - some people will like Mame, other's won't. I mean I've admitted many times before that I am not a fan of most of Lucy's pre ILL movies and to be honest, I think I might only own a handful of them (on VHS) LOL! So that shows you how much they don't interest me.

It was more the lack of a response to it that irked me at first. I'm fine now, but I just wanted to share my piece. If someone truly enjoys something, the fact that someone else may not shouldn't have any bearing whatsoever on your feelings for it. But as long as the subject is broached, I will share my feelings as well, no matter how unpopular said feelings may be.

Well, Lucy's actions are up for debate. I, however, truthfully believe that it was just one thing among many that hurt the film in the long run. I think Lucille's passion for the film was wonderful, but the fact that others have published things that have said so much means it's not just me talking. It's a fact that there are those who feel that way. That's all I was brinigng up.

Is there an Angela Lounge that i can go VENT on things that have been said about her? :lucythrill: I'm over it too, let's move on, shall we?

I take back what I just said: This reply has a red "X" box on the image, as well.

All Mame's were great in their arena. Nuff said?

Traitor, LUCY was the best at Mame or anything else she tackled, all right Ginger danced better in those BIG Hollywood musicals, but the other one, never got the admiration towards her, aside from that British charm, but then, you know how Americans always fawn over anything British. LOL! :lucythrill:

Archived