OTHER FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED

C L A U D E

4 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Lena Horne is trending on Twitter today because apparently people care enough to share news of her death, but don’t care enough to know that it happened nine years ago. I wonder if this got started because someone saw her obituary and genuinely thought she just passed, or if someone wanted to see if they could actually get a few schmucks to fall for it. Either way, I’m glad people who are (clearly) unfamiliar are now reading about her life!

Didn't that happen a few years ago, too? 

22 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Didn't that happen a few years ago, too? 

I don't remember it happening, but I'm sure it's likely. I always wonder what the gain is in these celebrity death hoaxes. Is there some kind of money to be made, or do people just want to fool others?

34 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

I don't remember it happening, but I'm sure it's likely. I always wonder what the gain is in these celebrity death hoaxes. Is there some kind of money to be made, or do people just want to fool others?

Oh, now I remember. It wasn't public, but one of my FB friends thought she'd just died and posted about it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Human remains found are thought to be actor Charles Levin. :( He played the cop in Lucy and the Guard Goose and Coco the houseboy in the pilot of The Golden Girls. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/07/remains-found-in-josephine-county-thought-to-be-those-of-missing-hollywood-actor.html

Oh how tragic! What a horrible turn of events. 

• Sad 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, HarryCarter said:

Human remains found are thought to be actor Charles Levin. :( He played the cop in Lucy and the Guard Goose and Coco the houseboy in the pilot of The Golden Girls. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/07/remains-found-in-josephine-county-thought-to-be-those-of-missing-hollywood-actor.html

So sad. :( He was an okay petunia. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Really hard to believe. Very few people in the theater have had a career more successful than Hal- maybe George Abbott? Nevertheless it’s unreal to think that he’s not around.

2 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Really hard to believe. Very few people in the theater have had a career more successful than Hal- maybe George Abbott? Nevertheless it’s unreal to think that he’s not around.

That's what the hosts on the Broadway channel on Sirius were saying today. You just always thought he was going to be around. PBS aired a wonderful documentary on him this year.

• Like 1

Looking at Prince's stage credits seems even more staggering now that he's gone. He was a driving force behind shows that fit into everyone's tastes. All of the people who have been sharing the bootleg video of his original staging of Rainbow High from Evita certainly doesn't help my cranky anti-Lloyd Weber mindset. The guy really was the genius of theater personified.

5 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

All of the people who have been sharing the bootleg video of his original staging of Rainbow High from Evita certainly doesn't help my cranky anti-Lloyd Weber mindset.

I saw Tina Arena in the original Prince staging of Evita at the Opera House last October. I could tell that in the right hands it would be a great show, but this particular cast was a bit lackluster on the energy side, which made Prince's stylized, neo-Brechtian staging come across amateurish rather than innovative. Many have said he was great at creating stage pictures but was not an actor's director; he wasn't adept at helping them come up with characterizations. Tina Arena is primarily a singer, not an actress, and it showed in her performance.

None of this is to bash Prince (may he rest in peace), but merely to highlight how collaborative theatre truly is. If one piece doesn't quite work, it can throw the whole show off balance. I hope others in the future will better be able to serve his "stage pictures" and bring them to life more fully.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wayne Fitzgerald, probably the most iconic Title Designer behind Saul Bass, has died. The number of iconic movies and TV shows he introduced is absurd- in 1968 four of the five Best Picture nominees featured his work! Most notably for us, he did the incredible opening sequence for Mame, which is easily one of the best aspects of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...