You are DELIBERATELY NOT stirring your coffee!

I think they never intended to own the car after their Hollywood trip, given how impractical having a car in New York City was.  Doubtful that the Mertz Apartments supplied valet parking service!

What I find odd about the episode is the outfit Ethel wore dragging "that piece of junk to 3 different stations".  It was if she was going to Don Loper's.  

It's such a great episode I'm not going to carp, though.  Lucy sneaking in to exchange the train tickets is not unlike her sneaking in to steal "her" check from Danny Williams. Both hilarious, but between the two, the later one is even better.

Though "Ricky Sells the Car" is a very funny episode, I do take issue with part of the plot. Given how ecstatic Lucy was when Ricky purchased the car, and her eagerness to learn how to drive, I find it hard to believe she was so blasé about Ricky selling it. Her only concern seemed to be how they were going to get home. No temper tantrums or crying fits or anything. "SELL OUR BEAUTIFUL CAR!? WAAAH!"

Also, she never got the salad she ordered at the Brown Derby. A waitress forgot my salad a few weeks ago and I brought it up immediately. Then again, I didn't have Bill Holden sitting in the booth behind us to distract me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though "Ricky Sells the Car" is a very funny episode, I do take issue with part of the plot. Given how ecstatic Lucy was when Ricky purchased the car, and her eagerness to learn how to drive, I find it hard to believe she was so blasé about Ricky selling it. Her only concern seemed to be how they were going to get home. No temper tantrums or crying fits or anything. "SELL OUR BEAUTIFUL CAR!? WAAAH!"

Also, she never got the salad she ordered at the Brown Derby. A waitress forgot my salad a few weeks ago and I brought it up immediately. Then again, I didn't have Bill Holden sitting in the booth behind us to distract me.

The episode where Ricky buys the car seems tailor-made for a TV episode, but somehow it works better on radio.

I think they never intended to own the car after their Hollywood trip, given how impractical having a car in New York City was.  Doubtful that the Mertz Apartments supplied valet parking service!

What I find odd about the episode is the outfit Ethel wore dragging "that piece of junk to 3 different stations".  It was if she was going to Don Loper's.  

It's such a great episode I'm not going to carp, though.  Lucy sneaking in to exchange the train tickets is not unlike her sneaking in to steal "her" check from Danny Williams. Both hilarious, but between the two, the later one is even better.

I hadn't thought of it that way before. That's a fair point. And it is such a great episode otherwise that I can overlook it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if this the right thread for this, but on "I Love Lucy," I get annoyed in certain episodes by how cheap Fred is. I know the story about Fred being cheap was an ongoing gag - but in certain episodes, I think he is simply being unreasonable about not paying for things.

His refusal to pay for gas on the trip to Hollywood is a good example: I know he and Ethel argue that they shouldn't have to pay for gas because Lucy and Ricky were going to go to California anyway, but everyone knows that a car will go slower and use up more gas depending on how much weight is in the car. Between Fred and Ethel and their suitcases, they were adding at least an extra 300-350 pounds of weight to the car, and Ricky likely had to pay for more gas as a result. I don't think it was at all unreasonable for Ricky and Lucy to insist that he chip in for that cost - especially since Ricky and the studio were paying for everyone's hotel bills once they got out there.

But I never understood why Fred always acted like he was broke anyway. We saw the exterior of the Mertzes' apartment building in "California Here We Come," and there were at least 10-20 apartments in that building. From "The Business Manager" episode, we know he was getting at least $100 per apartment in rent money in 1955 dollars (roughly $900 in 2015 dollars.) So really, if anything, he was likely making more money each month than Ricky.

Theres not many with on etch moments but I do have one Ive had since Ive first watched the show lol

OIL WELLS lol lol When every one blames Lucy for letting go of the oil wells, it sets my tith on etch because She CONVINCED Ricky to get them and basically gave the idea to Ethel to do the same, what with Lucy prying into the new neighbors business. So Because of Lucy, they now have the potential to be zillionaires lol but wheres the gift giving thank you's for that? Now- after a little suspicion, EVERY ONE takes Lucy up on her wild hunch. never thinking for themselves-  Ethel should have done her due diligence and gotten information from Fred's friend  RIGHT THEN AND THERE and Ricky and Fred are BOTH successful business men- one running a night club  and the other owning AND managing the apartment building-

Neither of them thought to look further into it instead of putting the responsibility all on Lucy?

Well now Every one blames Lucy and Lucy is now trying to save everything by going back to the neighbors and tries to get evidence- she could have gotten killed inside of the apartment IF the two were actually swindlers LOLOL. because she ended up getting caught lol  

Even THEN when she's caught- she bravely stands up to them and courageously gets back she AND the Mertz's money! She goes back home and COOKS AND PREPAREs DINNER for every one lolol and all she gets is a toast with water...and THEN gets blamed for EVERYTHING

UGH lol

she should have went off on each of them lol just like she did in the 

cabin in Switzerland when she was sick and tired of being blamed for everything lolol  

I am picturing Ethel putting on her glasses and sitting down with a pencil and pad of paper and undertaking a full study on the pros and cons before launching into one of Mrs. Ricardo's schemes. lol

FAMILY GUY FLASH BACK

(CUT TO:

EARLIER THAT DAY. AFTERNOON. MERTZ APARTMENT. FRED IS READING HIS PAPER IN HIS EASY CHAIR AND ETHEL IS SITTING IN FRONT OF THE OLD ROUND BROWN TABLE  IN THE CENTER OF THEIR LIVING ROOM SCRIBBLING ON A PAD. SHE HAS A PAIR OF GLASSES ON TOP OF HER HEAD AND IS ALSO WEARING A PAIR ON HER FACE. SHE'S HOLDING A MAGNIFYING CLASS AND LOOKING OVER FIGURES. SHES GOT SEVERAL PENCILS IN HER HAIR AND LOOKS FLUSTERED AFTER FIGURING OUT THE SCRIBBLING ON HER NOTE PAD:

ETHEL

I'VE GOT IT!!

ETHEL'S OVER EXCITED SCREECHING STARTLES FRED TO FALL OUT OF THE CHAIR.

CUT BACK TO THE RICHARD'S APARTMENT 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this the right thread for this, but on "I Love Lucy," I get annoyed in certain episodes by how cheap Fred is. I know the story about Fred being cheap was an ongoing gag - but in certain episodes, I think he is simply being unreasonable about not paying for things.

His refusal to pay for gas on the trip to Hollywood is a good example: I know he and Ethel argue that they shouldn't have to pay for gas because Lucy and Ricky were going to go to California anyway, but everyone knows that a car will go slower and use up more gas depending on how much weight is in the car. Between Fred and Ethel and their suitcases, they were adding at least an extra 300-350 pounds of weight to the car, and Ricky likely had to pay for more gas as a result. I don't think it was at all unreasonable for Ricky and Lucy to insist that he chip in for that cost - especially since Ricky and the studio were paying for everyone's hotel bills once they got out there.

But I never understood why Fred always acted like he was broke anyway. We saw the exterior of the Mertzes' apartment building in "California Here We Come," and there were at least 10-20 apartments in that building. From "The Business Manager" episode, we know he was getting at least $100 per apartment in rent money in 1955 dollars (roughly $900 in 2015 dollars.) So really, if anything, he was likely making more money each month than Ricky.

YES! Absolutely correct. Fred's miserly ways really got old after a while, and his and Ethel's mooching during the California trip really gets on my nerves. It's another point I forgot to bring up when talking about "Ricky Sells the Car." The Mertzes got a free haul to LA, and obviously the studio paid for their room as well or else they wouldn't have come, yet they lose it because Ricky forgets to buy them train tickets. They act like total ingrates and it's not very appealing.

Your mentioning their combined weight causing the car to burn up more gas could've led to some very funny lines had they been willing to go there.

LUCY: It's a good thing we did sell that car. Considering that bustle you're smuggling under there, Ethel, we'd be burning up half a tank per mile heading home!

RICKY: Yeah, and Freddie the Freeloader here's packed on plenty too, courtesy of Leo the Lion.

YES! Absolutely correct. Fred's miserly ways really got old after a while, and his and Ethel's mooching during the California trip really gets on my nerves. It's another point I forgot to bring up when talking about "Ricky Sells the Car." The Mertzes got a free haul to LA, and obviously the studio paid for their room as well or else they wouldn't have come, yet they lose it because Ricky forgets to buy them train tickets. They act like total ingrates and it's not very appealing.

Your mentioning their combined weight causing the car to burn up more gas could've led to some very funny lines had they been willing to go there.

LUCY: It's a good thing we did sell that car. Considering that bustle you're smuggling under there, Ethel, we'd be burning up half a tank per mile heading home!

RICKY: Yeah, and Freddie the Freeloader here's packed on plenty too, courtesy of Leo the Lion.

But then you're applying "logic" in discussing an ILL plot! How does that work?? Often, not very well IMHO! :blink:

• 1 month later...

I know this is nitpicking, but New England speech patterns drive me absolutely nuts. Lucy's voice is no exception. She has many of the same dialect-specific quirks that people I know have, and they never fail to set the tith on edge. The dropping of the letter R, the difficulty in pronouncing the letter L (would you prease, prease bring me a Sunshine cake?), and the overall tendency to form all sounds at the front of the mouth, causing a rather pinched sound rather than the rounder sound you get when you use your whole mouth. This tends to hamper my enjoyment of episodes where it's especially apparent.

Every time I hear "wondahful" I want to scream!

I know this is nitpicking, but New England speech patterns drive me absolutely nuts. Lucy's voice is no exception. She has many of the same dialect-specific quirks that people I know have, and they never fail to set the tith on edge. The dropping of the letter R, the difficulty in pronouncing the letter L (would you prease, prease bring me a Sunshine cake?), and the overall tendency to form all sounds at the front of the mouth, causing a rather pinched sound rather than the rounder sound you get when you use your whole mouth. This tends to hamper my enjoyment of episodes where it's especially apparent.

Every time I hear "wondahful" I want to scream!

Wow, stuff I never realized, knew or cared about.  I just consider them character "affectations", whether part of her character(s) and/or how she speaks in "real" life.

As for "wundaful" (not sure if there's a definitive spelling, but you seem to be the expert!), that's one I've always loved!! Guess we'll have to agree to disagree buddy! :blink:

Wow, stuff I never realized, knew or cared about.  I just consider them character "affectations", whether part of her character(s) and/or how she speaks in "real" life.

As for "wundaful" (not sure if there's a definitive spelling, but you seem to be the expert!), that's one I've always loved!! Guess we'll have to agree to disagree buddy! :blink:

I think growing up with people who spoke like that rendered me more sensitive to it, as I made a conscious effort to avoid it. Lucy's doesn't bother me most of the time, it's just especially noticeable in a few episodes. It also became more pronounced as she got older. I hear it more on her later shows.

• 4 months later...

Apologies if I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but I've always been slightly puzzled by this:

In "California Here We Come", Lucy lists all the places everyone wants to visit during the trip, such as New Orleans, the Rockies, Niagra Falls, etc. Yet not one of the episodes detailing the trip out west featured any of these places (not counting Cincinatti being mentioned as their destination after their first stop).

Granted, this is understandable for a number of them, as I doubt any Niagra Falls set would've been convincing by 1954 standards, but Lucy and Ethel getting lost in the Carlsbad Caverns, anyone? Surely there were a few episodes that could've been conceived to include their must-see pit stops.

Apologies if I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but I've always been slightly puzzled by this:

In "California Here We Come", Lucy lists all the places everyone wants to visit during the trip, such as New Orleans, the Rockies, Niagra Falls, etc. Yet not one of the episodes detailing the trip out west featured any of these places (not counting Cincinatti being mentioned as their destination after their first stop).

Granted, this is understandable for a number of them, as I doubt any Niagra Falls set would've been convincing by 1954 standards, but Lucy and Ethel getting lost in the Carlsbad Caverns, anyone? Surely there were a few episodes that could've been conceived to include their must-see pit stops.

There you go again using "logic" regarding Lucy plots! :blink:

Archived