Lucy's Range

What are those moments in film, TV or real life on screen that Lucy is more than just funny? Those moments that fall into the categories below.

Adorable Lucy:

Easy to Wed- The drunk scene. So funny, yet so very pretty. We all know that Lucy does drunk scenes well, but this has quickly become my favorite. Part of why I like this scene and the movie so much is a great chemistry between her and Van.

A Girl, A Guy, and a Gob - I love this movie for the fact that Lucy looks so happy in it, plus it’s a good story. In my pick for most adorable scene, Coffee Cup buys Dot a popsicle to cheer her up. The sniffling, how she eats it and her answer to him ordering a second are so cute.

ILL- Dancing Star- Yet another pairing with Van. The dance with Van (final version) goes from adorable to sexy all within the same number. We start with Lucy being scared of dancing in front of all those people. The adorable factor comes into play as Van tries to relax her, the way he holds her waist, the cute little pucker of her mouth he does. Once Lucy overcomes the stage fright and gets into the part of the dance we did not see in the First Act is when she transitions to sexy, the lift and section after it being the highlight.

Merv Griffin Show- The one with the kids, Gary, Bob Hope and Gale. My two favorite parts are how giddy Lucy gets when Bob or Gale come out and also her “Who that?” response to Merv when he introduces, I believe Bob. I love anytime she uses “Who that?” I’ve noticed it in movies and real life.

ILL-Marriage License- When Lucy walks down the stairs in her wedding dress. Ricky says “Lucy how pretty.” Lucy does a little shy look and bites her lower lip, Ricky proposes again and the way she says “yes” is so cute. Lucy does this bit your lower lip thing from time to time and I always think it adds that adorable factor to whatever is going on at the moment.

Sexy Lucy: These are my moments when you really see how not just gorgeous she was but how down right smoldering she can get.

Duberry Was A Lady- Many parts in the dressing room scene where she has that beautiful long, red hair down, and that sexy midriff outfit on. I think my favorite part of this is when she is listening to Gene sing the song at the piano.

Two Smart People- I’ve overlooked this movie for a long time and found it in my collection one night. Not that great of a story but Lucy is sooooo gorgeous in this movie. The part where pretty becomes sexy is at the Spanish Inn where the guy is playing the guitar and the Mexican woman is translating. Watch Lucy and how she is breathing. You can feel so much sexual tension there. I also really like the part where she walks back into her room in the dark and the flick of a lighter creates the only light in the room, framing her. Karl Freund did this movie. No wonder she looked good.

Dance Girl Dance- The hula number. The dance itself, but also the way she pushes down the skirt to her hips right before the music starts. Wonder what Desi would have said about her if she had gone to lunch that famous day, in that outfit.

Lucy Show- Dean Martin Episode- That black dress she looks poured into. The combo here is the wig that makes her look 10 years younger and how the dress beautifully shapes her, along with the slits.

ILL-Lucy is Jealous of a Girl Singer- Until the DVD’s came out we never knew how good that kiss was at the end of the episode. It totally draws the line between acting and real life, and you’ll notice its Lucy that pushes it further.

Heartbreaking Lucy: Those moments when you want to cry along with her, be it happy or sad.

Big Street- Well we could not have this topic without mention of The Big Street. Some may mention the final part when she dances, but for me it is the scene in the hospital in FL where Pinks comes in to talk to her and Gloria realizes that’s it for her and breaks down crying.

What Now Catherine Curtis- I have so much love for this special. The moment in this when you really feel for Lucy is in the Third Act. When Lucy and Peter are having the breakup fight and she tells him how “she could be just as hurt now as when she was 18”, which leads up to the part where she holds out the coat for him to take and then totally just breaks down when he does. The sadness in Lucy’s eyes here is so strong. I wish she would have done more dramatic/adult themed work like this later in her career.

Ed Sullivan Show- The episode with the hour long tribute to Lucy and Desi. How I wish this was on film to see things more clearly, but watch Lucy after Desi gives that now famous speech and through the signoff. She looks over at him and sees how he is barely holding it together. From then on you can she is crying and is trying to hold it back through to the end of the show.

Kennedy Center Honors- Knowing the back story of the week’s events, watching her listen to the speech Robert Stack gives.

Lucy in London-The end of the pantomime number where she reflects on the day. Adorable in that outfit, but you feel her emotion of the experience come through.

What are those moments in film, TV or real life on screen that Lucy is more than just funny? Those moments that fall into the categories below.

Adorable Lucy:

Easy to Wed- The drunk scene. So funny, yet so very pretty. We all know that Lucy does drunk scenes well, but this has quickly become my favorite. Part of why I like this scene and the movie so much is a great chemistry between her and Van.

A Girl, A Guy, and a Gob - I love this movie for the fact that Lucy looks so happy in it, plus it’s a good story. In my pick for most adorable scene, Coffee Cup buys Dot a popsicle to cheer her up. The sniffling, how she eats it and her answer to him ordering a second are so cute.

ILL- Dancing Star- Yet another pairing with Van. The dance with Van (final version) goes from adorable to sexy all within the same number. We start with Lucy being scared of dancing in front of all those people. The adorable factor comes into play as Van tries to relax her, the way he holds her waist, the cute little pucker of her mouth he does. Once Lucy overcomes the stage fright and gets into the part of the dance we did not see in the First Act is when she transitions to sexy, the lift and section after it being the highlight.

Merv Griffin Show- The one with the kids, Gary, Bob Hope and Gale. My two favorite parts are how giddy Lucy gets when Bob or Gale come out and also her “Who that?” response to Merv when he introduces, I believe Bob. I love anytime she uses “Who that?” I’ve noticed it in movies and real life.

ILL-Marriage License- When Lucy walks down the stairs in her wedding dress. Ricky says “Lucy how pretty.” Lucy does a little shy look and bites her lower lip, Ricky proposes again and the way she says “yes” is so cute. Lucy does this bit your lower lip thing from time to time and I always think it adds that adorable factor to whatever is going on at the moment.

Sexy Lucy: These are my moments when you really see how not just gorgeous she was but how down right smoldering she can get.

Duberry Was A Lady- Many parts in the dressing room scene where she has that beautiful long, red hair down, and that sexy midriff outfit on. I think my favorite part of this is when she is listening to Gene sing the song at the piano.

Two Smart People- I’ve overlooked this movie for a long time and found it in my collection one night. Not that great of a story but Lucy is sooooo gorgeous in this movie. The part where pretty becomes sexy is at the Spanish Inn where the guy is playing the guitar and the Mexican woman is translating. Watch Lucy and how she is breathing. You can feel so much sexual tension there. I also really like the part where she walks back into her room in the dark and the flick of a lighter creates the only light in the room, framing her. Karl Freund did this movie. No wonder she looked good.

Dance Girl Dance- The hula number. The dance itself, but also the way she pushes down the skirt to her hips right before the music starts. Wonder what Desi would have said about her if she had gone to lunch that famous day, in that outfit.

Lucy Show- Dean Martin Episode- That black dress she looks poured into. The combo here is the wig that makes her look 10 years younger and how the dress beautifully shapes her, along with the slits.

ILL-Lucy is Jealous of a Girl Singer- Until the DVD’s came out we never knew how good that kiss was at the end of the episode. It totally draws the line between acting and real life, and you’ll notice its Lucy that pushes it further.

Heartbreaking Lucy: Those moments when you want to cry along with her, be it happy or sad.

Big Street- Well we could not have this topic without mention of The Big Street. Some may mention the final part when she dances, but for me it is the scene in the hospital in FL where Pinks comes in to talk to her and Gloria realizes that’s it for her and breaks down crying.

What Now Catherine Curtis- I have so much love for this special. The moment in this when you really feel for Lucy is in the Third Act. When Lucy and Peter are having the breakup fight and she tells him how “she could be just as hurt now as when she was 18”, which leads up to the part where she holds out the coat for him to take and then totally just breaks down when he does. The sadness in Lucy’s eyes here is so strong. I wish she would have done more dramatic/adult themed work like this later in her career.

Ed Sullivan Show- The episode with the hour long tribute to Lucy and Desi. How I wish this was on film to see things more clearly, but watch Lucy after Desi gives that now famous speech and through the signoff. She looks over at him and sees how he is barely holding it together. From then on you can she is crying and is trying to hold it back through to the end of the show.

Kennedy Center Honors- Knowing the back story of the week’s events, watching her listen to the speech Robert Stack gives.

Lucy in London-The end of the pantomime number where she reflects on the day. Adorable in that outfit, but you feel her emotion of the experience come through.

OMG Shel, probably Y O U R B E S T post E V E R ! I could tackle them one at a time but i'd probably end up saying the exact same thing you did, you were so spot on on everything. As i watch the I Love Lucy shows again every week day, i can't help but notice how great she is as an actress, her every move so well executed, and although i've said this often recently, she looks so natural and real in every single move. Nothing seems faked and everything IS just like we're all eavesdropping on the most fun loving, genuine, happy and natural housewife the world has ever known.

Go visit Brisbane and grab my PAL copy of Girl, Guy & Gob... it's sitting there rotting away on my shelves!

That's the problem. I've got quite a few videos. I guess I just need to transfer them to DVD. But it would be so much handier if they were available on YouTube :-) Anyone with a VHS willing to spend hours uploading them (only to probably have them removed by YouTube a few hours later)? LOL!

Adorable Lucy:

SUPERB re-cap! Thanks for taking the time to do it.... JK

More heartbreaking Lucy:

Little Ricky in the Hospital: "Dr. there's something wrong with our baby." Her voice cracks JUST enough

Hollywood Anniversery: the most touching Lucy-Ricky scene in any episode (with the possible exception of "We're Havin' a Baby"). Mad Lucy rethinks her position as Ricky sings, gradually melting---which probably happened in real life.

Great thread idea...really, it's the fact that she could do all of these believably (sometimes within the same episode!) that made her character so multi-faceted and well-rounded and LOVEABLE despite her flaws.

Other Lucys:

Selfish Lucy-- Lucy on the Hollywood tour bus keeps moving Ethel so she can sit by the window

Crafty Lucy---Coming up with the phony "Ladies Overseas Aid" charity

Dumb Lucy--Lucy Carter returning from the post office with 10 29-cent stamps. (In a time when regular postage was 10 cents. Besides 29 cent stamps didn't exist and WHY would Harry want that quantity--29--of 10 cent stamps anyway??)

Obnoxious Lucy--Lucy Carmichael taking over Phil Harris's piano bar (Obnoxious Lucy can be hilarious, but only in SMALL doses)

Illegal Activity Lucy!--Stealing the horse in "White House"; Stealing the raft in "Runs the Rapids"

Good Samaritan Lucy-- a more common 6th season theme: "Gets Involved", "Philanthropist", "Ken Berry's Dance School"

and then there's Lucy, the Competent Entertainer and Lucy, the Incompetent Entertainer.

That's the problem. I've got quite a few videos. I guess I just need to transfer them to DVD. But it would be so much handier if they were available on YouTube :-) Anyone with a VHS willing to spend hours uploading them (only to probably have them removed by YouTube a few hours later)? LOL!

Hey Mik, this is 2012, transfer all your best VHS to DVD already.

More heartbreaking Lucy:

Little Ricky in the Hospital: "Dr. there's something wrong with our baby." Her voice cracks JUST enough

Hollywood Anniversery: the most touching Lucy-Ricky scene in any episode (with the possible exception of "We're Havin' a Baby"). Mad Lucy rethinks her position as Ricky sings, gradually melting---which probably happened in real life.

Great thread idea...really, it's the fact that she could do all of these believably (sometimes within the same episode!) that made her character so multi-faceted and well-rounded and LOVEABLE despite her flaws.

Other Lucys:

Selfish Lucy-- Lucy on the Hollywood tour bus keeps moving Ethel so she can sit by the window

Crafty Lucy---Coming up with the phony "Ladies Overseas Aid" charity

Dumb Lucy--Lucy Carter returning from the post office with 10 29-cent stamps. (In a time when regular postage was 10 cents. Besides 29 cent stamps didn't exist and WHY would Harry want that quantity--29--of 10 cent stamps anyway??)

Obnoxious Lucy--Lucy Carmichael taking over Phil Harris's piano bar (Obnoxious Lucy can be hilarious, but only in SMALL doses)

Illegal Activity Lucy!--Stealing the horse in "White House"; Stealing the raft in "Runs the Rapids"

Good Samaritan Lucy-- a more common 6th season theme: "Gets Involved", "Philanthropist", "Ken Berry's Dance School"

and then there's Lucy, the Competent Entertainer and Lucy, the Incompetent Entertainer.

Most heartbreaking Lucy

Opening monologue from What Now, Catherine Curtis

Life With Lucy's Breaking Up is Hard to Do as she pleads to get Curtis back and talks to her deceased husband.

Life With Lucy's Sunrise, Sunset.

Dumb Lucy

Lucy the Fixer - I know many consider this classic but this is dumb. One physical comedy sketch after another with no reality. It doesn't feel like a Lucy Show but Three Stooges.

1st Life With Lucy - Lucy gets Curtis tie caught and shreds it. Then she sets up a commercial fire extinguster.

Obnoxious Lucy - I agree with Lucy taking over Phil Harris' bar.

Good Samartian Lucy - Lucy and Phil Harris - She tries to feed him and keeps his pants so he can finish his song.

Lucy the Fixer - I know many consider this classic but this is dumb. One physical comedy sketch after another with no reality. It doesn't feel like a Lucy Show but Three Stooges.

In Lucy the Fixer, Lucy and Harry do a Laurel and Hardy imitation or tribute routine, not the THREE Stooges.

Talent Agent Lucy:

"Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (Lucy Show with Wayne Newton)

"Lucy, the Starmaker" (Lucy Show with Frankie Avalon)

Hospitality Lucy:

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" (Lucy Show episode with Ann Sothern & Bill Frawley)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (Lucy Show episode with Milton Berle)

"Lucy, the Philanthropist" (Lucy Show episode)

"Lucy and Phil Harris" (Lucy Show episode with Phil Harris)

Business Helper Lucy:

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" (Lucy Show episode with Mickey Rooney)

"Lucy, the Fight Manager" (Lucy Show episode with Don Rickles)

"Lucy Helps Ken Berry" (Lucy Show episode with Ken Berry)

Talent Agent Lucy:

"Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (Lucy Show with Wayne Newton)

"Lucy, the Starmaker" (Lucy Show with Frankie Avalon)

Hospitality Lucy:

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest" (Lucy Show episode with Ann Sothern & Bill Frawley)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (Lucy Show episode with Milton Berle)

"Lucy, the Philanthropist" (Lucy Show episode)

"Lucy and Phil Harris" (Lucy Show episode with Phil Harris)

Business Helper Lucy:

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" (Lucy Show episode with Mickey Rooney)

"Lucy, the Fight Manager" (Lucy Show episode with Don Rickles)

"Lucy Helps Ken Berry" (Lucy Show episode with Ken Berry)

You're getting quite good at this.

Terrified Lucy:

Going to radio days for this one. Suspense: Dime a Dance. This is my favorite Suspense episode with Lucy. The section at the end when she thinks the killer is coming for her. Even without visuals she portrays fear so well it helps me to really create a vivid picture of the action.

Lured: The climactic scene at the end when the revealed killer tries to kill her.

Terrified Lucy:

Going to radio days for this one. Suspense: Dime a Dance. This is my favorite Suspense episode with Lucy. The section at the end when she thinks the killer is coming for her. Even without visuals she portrays fear so well it helps me to really create a vivid picture of the action.

I think Dime a Dance is legitimately scary, especially the climax when "Poor Butterfly" starts playing and she begins screaming. My favorite Lucy Suspense show, however, is A Shroud for Sarah. Lucy's character is pure evil.

Archived